Menu

Question: If your doctor monitors your vitamin D levels...

Laurie

Someone posted a chart in the spring in one of the Covid threads. If I remember correctly, it showed that unless someone takes something like 5,000+ IUs per day, people's vitamin D levels stall out in the low 30s (ng/ml). Taking the typically recommended dose of 1-2,000 IUs per day took over a year to raise a person's level much.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone.  This has been really helpful.

I go to an internal med. office connected with a large medical center.  It seems like it's only 2 or 3 years with a provider before she leaves, and my recent appointment was with a new doctor.   I guess she saw my previous labs and asked me how much D I'm taking.  I told her 2,000 IU/day, and she told me that I shouldn't take more than 1,000 IU/day.   After seeing her, I went to the lab for the usual blood work and after the results came back the doctor wrote a letter in the patient portal thing again telling me that my number is too high and to take less.  

My dd, ds, and I have been taking vitamin D for many years and I think it has made a big improvement in our health (how often we get sick).  Now that we're in a pandemic, I really don't want to cut my daily dose in half!  (My ds and dd take 1,000 IU/day and I'm not sure when the last time a doctor checked their levels).  

No doctor has ever suggested that I was low and needed to take supplements, and I'm not sure why anyone started including this in some of my lab visits.  I looked at my previous numbers:  57.4 in 2017  and 53.4 in 2015.   I don't think I take anything close to a megadose that would be toxic.  In fact, lately I've read recommendations from doctors to take anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 IU as a covid precaution.   And based on your replies today, I don't see any reason to change what I'm doing, especially since my doctor hasn't told me what awful thing will happen to me if I keep taking my 2,000IU/day gummies!  (And I didn't ask her.)

Thanks again!

Edited by Laurie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PeppermintPattie said:

Those of you with high #'s, how much vitamin D do you take per day?

My lab report says that the standard range is 20.1-50.0ng/mL so apparently I'm in the high range at 56.8  (50.1-80.0 is considered high)  

I've been taking 2,000 IU daily.  I don't like to swallow pills that much so I buy gummies at the grocery store or Costco.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Laurie said:

told her 2,000 IU/day, and she told me that I shouldn't take more than 1,000 IU/day.   After seeing her, I went to the lab for the usual blood work and after the results came back the doctor wrote a letter in the patient portal thing again telling me that my number is too high and to take less. 

Yep. Our docs must have gone to school together. My doc reluctantly included the Vit D test in my labs a year ago (after telling me it was a waste of time & $$). My level was under 20, so she said to take something like 500 IU/day.

I take 5000 IU/day and by June was in the 50s (through an independent lab test). I don't plan on telling her how much I'm taking whenever I see her again, just that I'm doing better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeppermintPattie said:

Those of you with high #'s, how much vitamin D do you take per day?

I take 5,000IUs a day (NOW Brand). I also take K-2 to help absorption.  I take it year around. We live in Texas, so we get a fair amount of sun. I have my levels checked yearly so if starts to go high, I can reduce slightly. 

ETA: I've taken this amount for probably 5 years, before that I took 4,000IUs for probably 4-5 years. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Laurie said:

2,000IU/day gummies

Fwiw I don't find the gummies as effective as gel caps. Odds are it's a very nominal effect. I take 10k a day in the summer and 15k IU a day in the winter along with plenty of K2 to make sure it absorbs. I feel sluggish when my D is as low as yours is right now. I keep mine pretty close to 100. It curls my doc's hair a little and he's like wow you could let that drop down. But I feel GREAT when it's that high, so high it stays. 

If you feel fine and see benefit, keep it there. Any lower would be low, seems to me. And personally, I'd feel free to try taking it higher if you want. Your doc needs to loosen up. I've heard they learn jack squat about vitamins in med school anyway.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DD and I take 5000Iu/ day, but I feel like we should add K2.  I've read about the benefits of adding K2, but never taken it.  DD took it as an liquid for awhile, but stopped and then it expired so she threw it out.  

Our drs (different ones), like us both to have levels in the upper 30s.  Dd's was at 21 in September.  I cannot remember what mine was at that time.  Dd's dr will probably check again in February and I will check mine again in the fall.  

What brand and dosage of K2 do people feel is best? 

• Thanks 1

I take usually 6,000 IU.  My oldest takes 5,000 IU and I think my youngest takes 4,000 IU.  We buy formulations of D3 with K2 already added.  I'd like to check my levels to know if I should go up, but since my last test was over 30, my doctor won't check again, even though it was below that multiple times before that.  

The pediatrician is a lot more willing to test the kids'.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our neurologists want numbers between 50 and 100. 50 is considered minimally adequate. DD takes both d2 and d3. 

DDs primary care doctor told us at her last visit that unless someone is exhibiting symptoms of low-d, supplementation recommendations are not as clear cut as they used to be. Doctors need to consider the patients presentation of symptoms, not just blood work numbers. The newer studies are showing patients that are taking supplements to get higher levels of d (50 t0 100), are showing early signs of bone loss.  He said he would like dd to continue treating since she shows symptoms, but just to keep it in mind and to watch the literature for new information (I work in the medical field). 

I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason for the discrepancy in dosing guidelines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are right in the sweet spot. I am currently too high and have to lay off for a while. I forgot that my Omega  3 has also D3 in it.

Contrary to what Tap's doctor says, my naturopath does not want anyone beyond 80 because (according to her) this is where some people show signs of HC.  There are many different opinions about this. Main thing would be how are you feeling?

Edited by Liz CA
  • Thanks 1

Ours would think it’s ok but probably worry it’s getting too high. Youngest, 18, was at 36 last year and that was without ever having taking a supplement. The doc was concerned when they found out she started taking 1000Iu daily during the pandemic. Doctor hasn’t wanted to recheck though so I don’t feel he was overly concerned. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Laurie said:

What do you think he/she would say about this lab result :   56.8 ng/mL  ?  

This was my most recent lab in December.  I'll be back later to explain why I'm interested in your experiences with your own doctor.  

Thank you!  

doing good.   My NDs (several) all consider 50 a baseline minimum.  They're thrilled with 70-80, but calm above 50.

eta: vitamin d3 came up in some of 2dd's pharm classes.  it has been reclassified as a hormone.

30 was the old "minimum" before it was bumped to 50.   Before that, it was even lower - the USRDA hasn't changed from when it was thought D3 was all about bones and teeth and preventing rickets (which is a D3 level of 7.  Seven. - 1dd's practitioner was freaking out with her lab result of 10.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Contrary to what Tap's doctor says, my naturopath does not want anyone beyond 80 because (according to her) this is where some people show signs of HC. 

What is HC? Naturopaths aren't licensed to prescribe in our state. They can neither diagnose nor prescribe but may "recommend."

31 minutes ago, Tap said:

The newer studies are showing patients that are taking supplements to get higher levels of d (50 t0 100), are showing early signs of bone loss. 

I've wondered if there's more to the story. I got funky issues with the crystals in my ears and some vertigo when I first started taking D at higher doses. I don't think I had my K2 high enough for the D to properly do it's thing, so improper things were happening. Haven't had that at all since I cranked the K2 up. 

So I always wonder about the way docs prescribe these insanely high once a week doses. Just doesn't seem normal to me or like you're replicating nature in a way that the body can even use it. So yeah, I can totally imagine scenarios where people are taking stuff and having bad side effects.

I still wonder why we're asking docs, since my impression is they learn almost nothing about nutrition and supplements in med school. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

What is HC? Naturopaths aren't licensed to prescribe in our state. They can neither diagnose nor prescribe but may "recommend."

My Naturopath has a medical degree from WA state. She can order labs, prescribe and perform exams. And I agree with you on MDs having very little education on diet. Naturopaths (with medical degrees) have to take additional courses in naturopathy, homeopathy and osteopathic manipulation.

ETA: Hypercalcemia

Edited by Liz CA

Btw, if you have 23andme results, you can download the raw data and run it through a search engine like KnowYourGenetics.com to see your VDR=vitamin D receptor gene status. 

To me, your numbers ought to be interpreted in light of how you feel and your genes. If a number (36, whatever) was in the summer and the person is out hanging at the pool or sunbathing a lot, that seems low. So then you might look at that gene, realize your body isn't making your D so well, and decide some supplementation is in order.

I can feel my levels drop in the fall as my sun exposure decreases. My VDR genes aren't so hot, so I just stay generous on my D to have that happy summer feeling in the winter too. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Fwiw I don't find the gummies as effective as gel caps. Odds are it's a very nominal effect. I take 10k a day in the summer and 15k IU a day in the winter along with plenty of K2 to make sure it absorbs. I feel sluggish when my D is as low as yours is right now. I keep mine pretty close to 100. It curls my doc's hair a little and he's like wow you could let that drop down. But I feel GREAT when it's that high, so high it stays. 

If you feel fine and see benefit, keep it there. Any lower would be low, seems to me. And personally, I'd feel free to try taking it higher if you want. Your doc needs to loosen up. I've heard they learn jack squat about vitamins in med school anyway.

I don't think I've ever taken D as a capsule but I could be wrong.    I've always given my daughter Carlson drops because she's a lazy chewer and I don't want her to choke on it or not have it absorb properly.   (I hope the drops are helpful because I just bought a new bottle for her this week!)

• 1 year later...