Menu

Game recommendations needed (ages 5-7)

Hilltopmom

Let me start by saying we own a ton of games- but most are for preschoolers (I was a traveling preschool special Ed teacher) OR adults. My oldest, now grown, jumped right into adult strategy games between age 6/8 ish and was fine so we have a lot of those. I now have 2 little ones who are outgrowing the preschool games but no where near adult game ready (both ADHD, one ASD).

We played Sequence for kids today & that’s just right for them. They also like Perfection & Candy Land. I have Catan Jr & Stone Age Jr.

Any other Junior versions of games you recommend? They aren’t ready for the Game Wright older kids games but the younger line might be fine. They like Hisss, Gobblet Jr, Blokus, Sum Swamp & a few other educational games like that.

They probably aren’t ready for Sleeping Queens or Sushi Go, but maybe Rat a tat Cat

What did your kids like after preschool games but before adult versions? They are 5 and 7.

thanks!

eta- I just found Monopoly Jr on our shelves too

Edited by Hilltopmom

• Hilltopmom changed the title to Game recommendations needed (ages 5-7)

My seven year old liked learning draughty and chess.  All my kids love the infamous Monopoly from a pretty young age though maybe not five.  There is a junior version.  My older two really enjoyed a came by Orchard games called safari where you have to go around collecting and trading animal sightings.  

Dragonwood — for the older end of this age range, personally, but I think it would depend on the kid!

For the younger end — Candyland and Sorry were all-time favorites.  

My older son could have played Dragonwood when he was 5, and my younger son couldn’t have played Sorry at that age, which my oldest son just loved.  He also loved playing made-up games with Pokémon cards, we would play a game like War going off of their HP. 

Edited by Lecka

Rat-a-tat Cat can be played with a younger player allowed to peek at the cards.  We did that for my younger son and it made a huge, huge difference.  It’s still a fun game that way.    It would be the same difference for me since I can usually just remember what my cards are. 

My daughter loved Rat-a-tat Cat and the “Minnie Mouse bouquets and bows game” or something like that.  She loved it so much.  My younger son could play it with help.  

Seconding Set and Rat-a-Tat-Cat for that age. We also really liked Shut the Box. And we played Mastermind a lot at that age. There is a kid version, but unless they've updated the design, it's incredibly poorly made. It's better to just get the regular version and remove some of the colors and/or put tape over some of the peg holes to make a shorter sequence to guess.

Minnie Mouse Blossoms and Bows Bouquet Game https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8UC5O8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_E6SUFbZBK4BDD

Sorry — the Blossoms and Bows Bouquet Game.  

Our box was different but it looks like the game is the same.  

There is some strategy involved — because there is a much better chance of collecting some items compared to others.  

None of my kids could play Yahtzee ages 5-7.  I love that game!  It was just too convoluted for them.  

1:1 with an adult I could see it going better — I have 3 kids all close together in age.  

Definitely my kids couldn’t keep their own score sheets or decide what to do with their rolls, at all, ages 5-7.  

I think they also did not really understand the rules (edit:  or the point of the game!)

I am sure I would have liked to play it with my grandmother at that age, though 🙂

Edited by Lecka

Wonder Chess can be made very kid friendly and better players can be handicapped by starting with fewer pieces / having less time to move - or team play with consultation  a double set of pieces allows “drop in” which is extra fast and perhaps more fun

Backgammon similarly can be played in teams - handicapped etc

Oh thanks so much everyone! I’d forgotten about some classics like Trouble & Sorry because my oldest was a game snob and preferred European strategy games, lol.

we own a few other of the recommendations but I ordered a cooperative game and a few of the GameWright games. Also remembered some we used to own & found new copies of like Slamwich and More S’mores.

Should keep them busy this winter! We have a Jan birthday too. I’m looking forward to new games! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Emba said:

I think there’s also a jr version of Clue, or used to be.

Yes! We bought at least two different used kids' versions on eBay, and my daughter loved them. One had a "who left what toy where" story line and one had a "who ate / drank what where" story line. Much less gruesome. 🙂 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MercyA said:

One thing about Candy Land: my DH and I found it tedious. Patrick Rothfuss has a blog post on Candy Land in which he explains his simple "house rule" to keep the game more interesting. Basically, take two cards every turn and choose which one to use! Much more fun that way. (Warning: language in the blog.)

Oh man, Candyland and Snakes and Ladders were games my kids had that I hated! DH had much more patience for them than I did, but we gave them away and never played them with youngest.

We did have Sneaky Snacky Squirrel. That’s a cute game

Edited by Emba

2 hours ago, Emba said:

Oh man, Candyland and Snakes and Ladders were games my kids had that I hated! DH had much more patience for them than I did, but we gave them away and never played them with youngest...

That's where adapting a game can come in handy -- add/change rules, make your own cards, combine with another game to make it more complex (becoming like "Calvinball", lol).

Once DSs (or parents 😉 ) got used to a game or got bored with it, we would change it up in different ways to keep it fresh. DSs were very creative and it developed great critical thinking skills because sometimes a rule change or objective change would alter the game dynamic in an unintended way that we might have to make another adaptation for.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Let me start by saying we own a ton of games- but most are for preschoolers (I was a traveling preschool special Ed teacher) OR adults. My oldest, now grown, jumped right into adult strategy games between age 6/8 ish and was fine so we have a lot of those. I now have 2 little ones who are outgrowing the preschool games but no where near adult game ready (both ADHD, one ASD).

We played Sequence for kids today & that’s just right for them. They also like Perfection & Candy Land. I have Catan Jr & Stone Age Jr.

Any other Junior versions of games you recommend? They aren’t ready for the Game Wright older kids games but the younger line might be fine. They like Hisss, Gobblet Jr, Blokus, Sum Swamp & a few other educational games like that.

They probably aren’t ready for Sleeping Queens or Sushi Go, but maybe Rat a tat Cat

What did your kids like after preschool games but before adult versions? They are 5 and 7.

thanks!

eta- I just found Monopoly Jr on our shelves too

If MY just turned 6 can play, I suspect any kiddo can because I’m an impatient teacher and he’s an impatient learner. He can do Sleeping Queens and Gonuts for Donuts. I enjoy both. (He does not understand competitive Gonuts, he just likes to collect his favorite cards, FYI, zero strategy.)

Moose in the House?

Carcassone Junior

2 hours ago, medawyn said:

Games my current 7, newly 6 and 4.5 yo play constantly with or without me:

Concept for Kids

Bug/Ocean/Dinosaur Bingo (these are beautiful!)

Outfoxed

We bought Outfoxed for our then 5 year old grand last Christmas and she still LOVES to play that game. I consider that a huge win, as usually I can’t even remember what I bought the kids the previous year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Emba said:

We did have Sneaky Snacky Squirrel. That’s a cute game

It is a cute game, but I try to make the older kids play it with the younger so I don't have to. I have awful, awful luck with it. I don't understand how, but I can never get even half the acorns. Thankfully the kids have better luck so it doesn't last actually forever, but whenever I'm playing I start imagining the years passing while I sit there 

1 hour ago, I talk to the trees said:

Loot is another Gamewright game that I really enjoy, and I think we got it when dd was around 7ish, but it might be a bit advanced for little ones.

My daughter and her friends played that a lot when they were teens; it clearly is fun for a wide age range.

Regards,

Kareni

2 hours ago, Xahm said:

It is a cute game, but I try to make the older kids play it with the younger so I don't have to. I have awful, awful luck with it. I don't understand how, but I can never get even half the acorns. Thankfully the kids have better luck so it doesn't last actually forever, but whenever I'm playing I start imagining the years passing while I sit there 

I spin the same color every time, I swear.  It even beats Candyland for tedium.  But my kids like it.  Fortunately there are four of them, so when the 2 yo plays, I can’t.  Oh darn.

• Haha 1

We all LOVE Bold; that is always what I choose if I am roped into a game.

It says ages 7+, and certainly kids refine their strategy as they get older, but my youngest could play it independently (other than adding up her score at the end) at 4.5.

It is a bit like Memory, but with a twist. You lay out the grid of cards and the first player chooses two to flip. If they share an attribute (size, color, type, background) then you can take them OR you can be bold and flip another card. Again, if all three cards share at least one attribute, you can take them or be even bolder and flip another. You keep going until you chicken out and take what you have or you flip a card that does not share any attributes with all the previously flipped cards and you have to turn all the card back face down in the grid.

It is a great game to build up both memory and a sense of probability. I find it a good precursor to Dragonwood which also hinges on probability, but in a much more numerical sense requiring a lot more math.

Do you own No Stress Chess?  It's a great way to learn if they don't know how to play.  You draw a card that tells you how to move the piece.  After a few games they will have accidentally learned how to play chess.  It's also REALLY fun to watch someone who knows how to play chess try to play this game and be restricted by moving only the piece on their card.