Menu

I'm 52 and just realized that according to the definition, I'm now post-menopausal. The average age for menopause is 51. Once you have no longer had your period for twelve consecutive months, you’re post-menopausal.

I'm usually very organized and do my research. Menopause has sadly been the exception and I have been ill-prepared. I’m disappointed with myself. Given my family history, heart disease is more of a concern than breast cancer. Osteoporosis and mental decline may be concerns also.

I recently came across Menopause Barbie's You Tube channel. She prefers that her videos be watched in order. I’ve been watching a few in the past couple of days. She is a bit quirky to say the least, but she knows her stuff, after all, she’s a retired ob-gyn. She doesn't push for anything, more for informational purposes only. Here is more info about her.

Has anyone heard of her? Her book/s are expensive and seem to be out-of-print. She’s also on Facebook. If you have heard of her, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I printed out her lengthy 95-page information handout. I’m going to read it soon, since I think I’m more into reading information than listening. Her videos, although very informative, can be overly lengthy and I can only handle so much quirkiness. I feel like saying, “Get to the point already.”

I’m open to hearing any suggestions for resources that are preferably well-researched and helpful. You Tube, blogs, books, anything. Thank you!

• Like 3

I don't know, but I find the psychology behind those kinds of veiled infomercials interesting.  They promise you info, make you invest time and emotional energy in them while giving you a few crumbs, and then you find out you will have to pay if you want the substantive info.  I suspect they have figured out that some people are more likely to buy if they've already invested time or money.  The concept of "sunk cost" doesn't seem intuitive in such cases.

I have observed one thing in doing tax returns for older people.  It seems they are easier to convince to spend money on questionable investments / charities.

So I would be suspicious of this expensive book lady.  I am sure there is a ton of info for free on the web - health oriented sites etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I have heard of her through the Hot and Flashy YTer.  I actually bought her book but regretted it... it is huge!!!  

She is very quirky and I find her hard to watch.  I really dislike her name: why would someone who wants to be taken seriously add "barbie" to anything??!!  

But, she is very knowledgeable and she knows her stuff.   I can only take her in small doses.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't know, but I find the psychology behind those kinds of veiled infomercials interesting.  They promise you info, make you invest time and emotional energy in them while giving you a few crumbs, and then you find out you will have to pay if you want the substantive info.  I suspect they have figured out that some people are more likely to buy if they've already invested time or money.  The concept of "sunk cost" doesn't seem intuitive in such cases.

I have observed one thing in doing tax returns for older people.  It seems they are easier to convince to spend money on questionable investments / charities.

So I would be suspicious of this expensive book lady.  I am sure there is a ton of info for free on the web - health oriented sites etc.

yes, this is a good point!  Her videos are not small snippets either.  They are a large investment in time - of which I prefer to watch something else on YT.   That's party why I bought the book.  I figured it would be easier to reference than trying to find one piece of information on some random YT video from 6 mos. ago.  

I think she is a good jumping off point for sure.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Negin said:

I'm 52 and just realized that according to the definition, I'm now post-menopausal. The average age for menopause is 51. Once you have no longer had your period for twelve consecutive months, you’re post-menopausal.

I'm usually very organized and do my research. Menopause has sadly been the exception and I have been ill-prepared. I’m disappointed with myself. Given my family history, heart disease is more of a concern than breast cancer. Osteoporosis and mental decline may be concerns also.

Okay, I've been even lazier about doing any in-depth research, but apparently per usual I'm waaay on the end of the bell curve, as I'm still not there at 55.  My body is procrastinating too! LOL.

But... is there really something super-secret important one has to know other than do both weight bearing and cardio exercise regularly, eat right, and stay at a healthy weight?  From what I have read (yes, it's not a ton) that seems to encapsulate most of what needs doing.  Oh, and keep the mind active.  Things like dancing that use both mind and body at the same time get extra points.

I don't think there's anything else much to know, certainly not anything worth sifting through what sounds like hours of teaser infomercials?  (If there's something big I'm missing someone please share so I don't have to! 😉 )

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Am I the only person disappointed this post wasn't about a doll? 😁

I was looking for photos of a new Barbie: gray hair (or with roots showing), a pudgy middle, glasses, comfy clothes, etc., and a comfortable relaxed looking smile. Not that all post-menopausals are frumpy, but I sure am. I'm beginning to really own it and enjoy the lack of pressure, lol, thus the relaxed smile.

• Like 10
  • Haha 9

17 hours ago, SKL said:

Thank you so much for this intelligent insight. I really do appreciate you sharing this. Thank you! 

16 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I have heard of her through the Hot and Flashy YTer.  I actually bought her book but regretted it... it is huge!!!  

She is very quirky and I find her hard to watch.  I really dislike her name: why would someone who wants to be taken seriously add "barbie" to anything??!!  

But, she is very knowledgeable and she knows her stuff.   I can only take her in small doses.

Debbi, this is how I heard about her also. I've been slowly catching up on You Tube videos to watch, the channels that I follow. I love Hot and Flashy by the way, and am happy to hear that you follow her also! I figured, oh, if Angie loves her, then maybe she's on to something. Another channel that I follow is Dominique Sachse and she has at least one video with her also. I haven't seen that one yet. Too many videos to catch up on and too little time! 

I also find her hard to watch and annoying. Yes, her name is silly. I wish that she'd hurry up on her videos and get to the point. I've watched a few of her earlier ones, since I've been trying to watch them in order. They were making me cranky. Remember your adorable grandson's picture that you posted in the memes thread, the one where he didn't look too happy about having to do his schoolwork? I started to have that look on my face when watching her! LOL! 

Thank you for your helpful feedback regarding the book. I won't be ordering that. I wish that I could find a helpful, yet not annoying menopause channel on You Tube. I guess I need to make an appointment with my ob-gyn, which is a giant pain. Seeing him is the absolute worst. 

16 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I totally had a confused moment because I literally *just* read this topic on the other forum we both frequent. LOL. 😂

LOL!

16 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

yes, this is a good point!  Her videos are not small snippets either.  They are a large investment in time - of which I prefer to watch something else on YT.   That's party why I bought the book.  I figured it would be easier to reference than trying to find one piece of information on some random YT video from 6 mos. ago.  

I think she is a good jumping off point for sure.  

Thanks again. 

16 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

But... is there really something super-secret important one has to know other than do both weight bearing and cardio exercise regularly, eat right, and stay at a healthy weight?  From what I have read (yes, it's not a ton) that seems to encapsulate most of what needs doing.  Oh, and keep the mind active.  Things like dancing that use both mind and body at the same time get extra points.

I don't think there's anything else much to know, certainly not anything worth sifting through what sounds like hours of teaser infomercials?  (If there's something big I'm missing someone please share so I don't have to! 😉 )

If I could only lose weight, most of my problems would go away, but given what I have seen and read so far, HRT may be be beneficial for a short period of time. I would never have believed that had you asked me this even up to a week ago. One can either take a medical approach, natural (supplements, etc.), or do nothing, which is what I've done so far.

I haven't had that many symptoms when it comes to menopause. Hot flashes haven't been too bothersome. Nothing major. However, I am concerned about heart disease, osteoporosis, and even Alzheimer's. Those are areas that HRT may help. Breast cancer doesn't run in my family. I've learned that there's a window of time to start HRT, if one is going to do so. It is open from the onset of menopause to 10 years after. After that, it is when the risks are bigger than the benefits. I read and saw from the videos that despite the big fear about HRT causing breast cancer, which is what I was led to believe up to a week ago, the numbers are not there to justify it. But 1 out 2 post-menopausal women die from heart disease and heart attacks. HRT seems to be protective in this area, as well as with Alzheimer's and osteoporosis. If you are interested and have 21 minutes, this video may be of interest. It seems to start where I have put it on pause. My apologies. If you do watch it, you need to watch it from the beginning. 

Edited by Negin
  • Like 1

I agree about her videos. They are extremely difficult to watch. I did download the free pdf, and I like having all the bullet points together. It will make a good jumping off point when I do more research. 

I actually haven't gotten the impression that she is pushing her book. But that may be because I haven't watched many videos in their entirety. To me, it's had the feel of mostly informational. She seems to be pretty even-handed when it comes to comparing options and stresses that your choice will be dependent on your individual goals and concerns. 

It doesn't bother me if there is a brief pitch along with free content, though, as long as the content is good. I wouldn't expect anyone would put forth time and effort to produce content with no return at all. 

For some reason I was thinking that her first name is actually Barbie? Not sure where I got that.

• Like 3

I was looking for the doll, too. LOL! 

My last period was 5 years ago at 48. I didn't do any research about it, so now I feel like maybe I should have. I had some hot flashes for awhile, but those didn't bother me horribly. Everything seems drier, eyes, skin, other things... My hands and feet have lost all the padding on top, and I have big veins, so I worry about protecting the skin as I age.

My mom had breast cancer, so the doctor said even if I wanted hormones, they wouldn't want to prescribe them.   

I figured this is a natural part of life and it is what it is. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

I was looking for the doll, too. LOL! 

My last period was 5 years ago at 48. I didn't do any research about it, so now I feel like maybe I should have. I had some hot flashes for awhile, but those didn't bother me horribly. Everything seems drier, eyes, skin, other things... My hands and feet have lost all the padding on top, and I have big veins, so I worry about protecting the skin as I age.

My mom had breast cancer, so the doctor said even if I wanted hormones, they wouldn't want to prescribe them.   

Same here,.    I had menopause later (54) but also can't do hormones because of blood clotting issues.  Yes- the feet are the worse for me since not only has the padding diminished but I have bad arthritis in my feet and another arthritis disease that tends to affect all the connective stuff causing things like plantar fascitis, etc.  So I am right there with you-  aging naturally.  And thinking yesterday how unnatural Hilary Clinton looks with her new facelift or whatever she did and the same with Joe Biden--  very unnatural looks--and just so I am not doing things politically- I am not a fan of Trump's orange tan either.

• Like 2

I do understand the desire to have all the info in one place.  I was kind of caught off guard by perimenopause.  I mean I had heard "change of life" since I was a kid, but nobody told me much about what that means, until I was almost there myself and I had a friend who was candid about her hot flashes (which kept happening next to me, LOL).  Hot flashes were pretty awful for me.  I still have them occasionally, but thank God it's not like before.  But the period changes were worse.  Somehow I thought they would just gradually stop.  Nope!  After the time I took myself to the ER, I decided I would tell every younger female about these things, so they would have a clue in advance.  I mean, we tell girls about periods in advance so they don't freak out, right?  Why not perimenopause symptoms?

And mental-pause ... I am still not sure if that is permanent.  How would I know, LOL. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Negin said:

Debbi, this is how I heard about her also. I've been slowly catching up on You Tube videos to watch, the channels that I follow. I love Hot and Flashy by the way, and am happy to hear that you follow her also! I figured, oh, if Angie loves her, then maybe she's on to something. Another channel that I follow is Dominique Sachse and she has at least one video with her also. I haven't seen that one yet. Too many videos to catch up on and too little time! 

If I could only lose weight, most of my problems would go away, but given what I have seen and read so far, HRT may be be beneficial for a short period of time. I would never have believed that had you asked me this even up to a week ago. One can either take a medical approach, natural (supplements, etc.), or do nothing, which is what I've done so far.

I haven't had that many symptoms when it comes to menopause. Hot flashes haven't been too bothersome. Nothing major. However, I am concerned about heart disease, osteoporosis, and even Alzheimer's. Those are areas that HRT may help. Breast cancer doesn't run in my family. I've learned that there's a window of time to start HRT, if one is going to do so. It is open from the onset of menopause to 10 years after. After that, it is when the risks are bigger than the benefits. I read and saw from the videos that despite the big fear about HRT causing breast cancer, which is what I was led to believe up to a week ago, the numbers are not there to justify it. But 1 out 2 post-menopausal women die from heart disease and heart attacks. HRT seems to be protective in this area, as well as with Alzheimer's and osteoporosis. If you are interested and have 21 minutes, this video may be of interest. It seems to start where I have put it on pause. My apologies. If you do watch it, you need to watch it from the beginning. 

snipped for space..

I do like Angie's informational YT videos - esp. the ones on skincare.  If you're interested I also like Penn Smith's skincare.  She's a master esti and has lots of information.   She does like her high-end stuff though.  But, I did appreciate Penn's detailed information about LED therapy when I was doing research last year.  

If I will have an issue later in life I suspect it will be heart issues based on my family history.  BC does not run in our family either.  Also, I noticed a big change in my skin when I went off HRT.  I didn't mind being on it at all.  I had to go off because of a non-cancerous endometrial polyp (growth??).  Caused awful bleeding (3 weeks heavy, 2 weeks off, repeat).  But my hot flashes have been very disruptive and constant.  I am considering going back on just for some relief from that but also becuase of the heart benefits.  I hadn't heard about alzheimer's benefit too.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 11:52 AM, Jaybee said:

I was looking for photos of a new Barbie: gray hair (or with roots showing), a pudgy middle, glasses, comfy clothes, etc., and a comfortable relaxed looking smile. Not that all post-menopausals are frumpy, but I sure am. I'm beginning to really own it and enjoy the lack of pressure, lol, thus the relaxed smile.

I was thinking that she should have acne, too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

I agree about her videos. They are extremely difficult to watch. I did download the free pdf, and I like having all the bullet points together. It will make a good jumping off point when I do more research. 

I actually haven't gotten the impression that she is pushing her book. But that may be because I haven't watched many videos in their entirety. To me, it's had the feel of mostly informational. She seems to be pretty even-handed when it comes to comparing options and stresses that your choice will be dependent on your individual goals and concerns. 

I'm slowly going through her PDF. Her videos are so annoying to me that although I need the information, I feel that I have to psych myself up in order to watch them. Like nails on a blackboard. 

You are correct. I have watched several of her videos and I haven't seen her push her book once. It's merely been mentioned so far. The only thing that she pushes is to watch her videos in order. Thank you so much for clarifying that. 

18 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Everything seems drier, eyes, skin, other things... My hands and feet have lost all the padding on top, and I have big veins, so I worry about protecting the skin as I age.

I agree. Although I don't feel any dryness or change in the padding of my feet, etc., I expect that all that will happen soon. I agree that it is a natural part of life. I'm not nearly as concerned about the looks aspect as I am about the health concerns. If I know that there's any way that I can possibly lessen the chances of heart disease, osteoporosis, and Alzheimer's, I would liek to have that option.

I'm sorry about your mom. 

18 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

but I have bad arthritis in my feet and another arthritis disease that tends to affect all the connective stuff causing things like plantar fascitis, etc.  So I am right there with you-  aging naturally.  

Sorry about your arthritis and PF. I agree with you. I don't want to look fake, like so many celebrities and famous people who all start to look the same. If I am able to go on HRT, it's not for the looks aspect, it's primarily for health concerns. 

17 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I do like Angie's informational YT videos - esp. the ones on skincare.  If you're interested I also like Penn Smith's skincare.  She's a master esti and has lots of information.   She does like her high-end stuff though.  But, I did appreciate Penn's detailed information about LED therapy when I was doing research last year.  

If I will have an issue later in life I suspect it will be heart issues based on my family history.  BC does not run in our family either.  Also, I noticed a big change in my skin when I went off HRT.  I didn't mind being on it at all.  I had to go off because of a non-cancerous endometrial polyp (growth??).  Caused awful bleeding (3 weeks heavy, 2 weeks off, repeat).  But my hot flashes have been very disruptive and constant.  I am considering going back on just for some relief from that but also becuase of the heart benefits.  I hadn't heard about alzheimer's benefit too.  

I LOVE all things skin care! I used to be an esthetician in my previous life. Thank you for recommending Penn Smith! I'm always on the search for good channels. My daughter and I both love this stuff. 

Thank you for your helpful feedback. Sorry to hear about your hot flashes and bleeding. Like you, I am mostly concerned about heart disease. I need to make an appointment with my doctor and see what he says. 

• Like 1

I am 52, have not had AF for a couple years and am on HRT because I got a lot of severe UTIs because of teA and menopausal changes to the body. My biggest issue is the 30 lbs I put on, mostly around the belly, and can’t seem to shed no matter what I do. I would like to do some research, but everyone seems to be very confident that whatever method they have come up with is wonderful and works, but it all seems so different that I don’t know who to believe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Check out Christine Northrup's The Wisdom of menopause

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Menopause-Revised-Creating-Emotional/dp/0553386727

Yes, Christine Northrup is more my style. Many libraries have her books (mine is reopening soon!). 

I went into menopause at 55 and had trouble at first. A natural-oriented ob/gyn that I saw during that period actually recommended that I try a cup of organic soy milk or soy yogurt for awhile to see if that helped my body re-balance a little, and it did. 

I watch bone density and do weight-bearing exercises and walk because of family history.  

• Like 2

On 8/20/2020 at 8:53 AM, Negin said:

I recently came across Menopause Barbie's You Tube channel. She prefers that her videos be watched in order. I’ve been watching a few in the past couple of days. She is a bit quirky to say the least, but she knows her stuff, after all, she’s a retired ob-gyn. She doesn't push for anything, more for informational purposes only. Here is more info about her.

Has anyone heard of her? Her book/s are expensive and seem to be out-of-print. She’s also on Facebook. If you have heard of her, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I printed out her lengthy 95-page information handout. I’m going to read it soon, since I think I’m more into reading information than listening. Her videos, although very informative, can be overly lengthy and I can only handle so much quirkiness. I feel like saying, “Get to the point already.”

I’m open to hearing any suggestions for resources that are preferably well-researched and helpful. You Tube, blogs, books, anything. Thank you!

Can you link to the PDF?   I can't stand watching videos, especially rambling ones.  I'd much rather read my information.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, regentrude said:

Check out Christine Northrup's The Wisdom of menopause

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Menopause-Revised-Creating-Emotional/dp/0553386727

I was "this close" to ordering it, but I read some of the reviews and I decided against it. 

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I am 52, have not had AF for a couple years and am on HRT because I got a lot of severe UTIs because of teA and menopausal changes to the body. My biggest issue is the 30 lbs I put on, mostly around the belly, and can’t seem to shed no matter what I do. I would like to do some research, but everyone seems to be very confident that whatever method they have come up with is wonderful and works, but it all seems so different that I don’t know who to believe.

What's AF? 

I hate the belly fat!

I have been watching her a bit more and what I have seen is that she really doesn't seem to be pushing any one single method. I need to watch more. I'm halfway through this video and I'm liking it so far. Sharing this for you or any one who may be interested. 

4 hours ago, G5052 said:

Yes, Christine Northrup is more my style. Many libraries have her books (mine is reopening soon!). 

I went into menopause at 55 and had trouble at first. A natural-oriented ob/gyn that I saw during that period actually recommended that I try a cup of organic soy milk or soy yogurt for awhile to see if that helped my body re-balance a little, and it did. 

I watch bone density and do weight-bearing exercises and walk because of family history.  

We don't have a library in our country. Again, as I said above, I decided against Christine Northrup's book, based on some of the reviews. 

You're wise to focus on bone density and to do weight-bearing exercises. 

4 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Can you link to the PDF?   I can't stand watching videos, especially rambling ones.  I'd much rather read my information.

Here goes. Oh, by the way, I love your user name! On her site, she also has a radio show. There are other options than watching. 

@Negin  -  I started to read one of Christine Northrup's books on menopause and just did not like it.  She equates health issues with other things such as:  mommy issues = breast cancer .. childhood trauma = heart issues, etc. etc.  She also seemed to have a lot of emotional baggage related to a divorce.  I think it was one of the few books I actually threw away.    Part of it was I read it soon after a dear friend was dx with breast cancer.  She loved her mom and I found it just so incredibly insulting to tell women that their specific health issues were a result of relationship problems. Obviously stress is a big factor in people's health, but this doctor was specific.  She thought if you had  a certain health condition then it was because of that specific personal issue.  If only we were that simple to diagnose.  🙄

There certainly may be some great nuggets of truth in her books but I think you will find you'll have to wade through some psychobabble to get to it. 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

@Negin  -  I started to read one of Christine Northrup's books on menopause and just did not like it.  She equates health issues with other things such as:  mommy issues = breast cancer .. childhood traumer = heart issues, etc. etc.  She also seemed to have a lot of emotional baggage related to a divorce.  I think it was one of the few books I actually threw away.    Part of it was I read it soon after a dear friend was dx with breast cancer.  She loved her mom and I found it just so incredibly insulting to tell women that their specific health issues were a result of relationship problems. Obviously stress is a big factor in people's health, but this doctor was specific.  She thought if you had  a certain health condition then it was because of that specific personal issue.  If only we were that simple to diagnose.  🙄

There certainly may be some great nuggets of truth in her books but I think you will find it. 

Debbi, I had another book by her a while back, "Goddesses Never Age". I skimmed through it and wasn't impressed at all. I noticed emotional stuff there also. I'm not saying emotions don't count. They do, but they're not the end-all and be-all. I noticed in the reviews for her menopause book that she talks about chakras and all. That's not my cup of tea. I also know that she's a strong anti-vaxxer. To each their own. This is what I like so far about Dr. Taylor. She goes into detail with all approaches - medical, natural, diet and lifestyle. She allows you to pick and choose, weighing the pros and cons of each. The all-natural (chakra) approach may not be suitable for all. 

15 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I started watching her webinars. So far, this option is easier to watch than her videos. As annoying as she may be, her content and knowledge are good. Again, I also recommend the second video that I shared, the one with Dominique Sachse. Overall, like you, I prefer to read than watch and am considering ordering her book. I wish that it was available on Kindle. It will take so long to get here since I live outside the U.S.

Edited by Negin

Please tell me I am not the only one. I am post-menopausal, but I have no idea when I stopped. I didn't record it and didn't realize it was happening, I just stopped having periods. I don't even have much of a time frame. Like, I know it was more than five years ago, but ten-not sure.

How weird is that?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Math teacher said:

Please tell me I am not the only one. I am post-menopausal, but I have no idea when I stopped. I didn't record it and didn't realize it was happening, I just stopped having periods. I don't even have much of a time frame. Like, I know it was more than five years ago, but ten-not sure.

How weird is that?

Maybe not very weird?

I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 41. I never know how to answer the "date of last menstrual period" question.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought to update everyone here. I have been slowly watching her videos in order and have been learning so much. I wish that I had known about her sooner. It's still not too late, but it would have been ideal to know all this a few years ago. I have commented on a few of her YouTube videos with questions and she is courteous and sweet enough to always reply. She has been growing on me! Lesson learned for yours truly: be more open-minded! Oh, for anyone who's interested, she also has a podcast, which I just started listening to on Spotify. 

My husband encouraged me to book a one-hour consultation with her. That's coming up soon and I'm looking so forward to it. In order to book that, she prefers that you send in any blood work, any medical info that you have to her. She loves details. This is helpful to me especially since we live on a small island and none of the doctors here cater to menopause. The basic, extremely basic care that ob-gyns do, is focused primarily on pregnancy. After that, you’re on your own. I shouldn’t be surprised. The overall health care here is appalling. Anyway, I will update after the consult if anyone is interested. 

I just thought to share that there's a promo on her book and slide chart - 25% discount. The promo ends on October 12th. the code: FALL2020.

Edited by Negin

On 8/20/2020 at 4:00 PM, Matryoshka said:

Okay, I've been even lazier about doing any in-depth research, but apparently per usual I'm waaay on the end of the bell curve, as I'm still not there at 55.  My body is procrastinating too! LOL.

That's  what I have done and it's worked well. Some people get it much worse than I did though. 

4 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

That's  what I have done and it's worked well. Some people get it much worse than I did though. 

My temporary symptoms have been manageable - things like hot flashes, etc. I'm concerned about the long-term impact of loss of estrogen (heart disease, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's). And yes, a healthy lifestyle is first and foremost, but I have come to believe that some form of estrogen in the first five to ten years after menopause can also be of great benefit. I'm not sure what form would be best for me yet, if at all, I used to think that estrogen is bad. I've since come to learn otherwise. I just read this book which was eye-opening. 

3 minutes ago, Negin said:

My temporary symptoms have been manageable - things like hot flashes, etc. I'm concerned about the long-term impact of loss of estrogen (heart disease, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's). And yes, a healthy lifestyle is first and foremost, but I have come to believe that some form of estrogen in the first five to ten years after menopause can also be of great benefit. I'm not sure what form would be best for me yet, if at all, I used to think that estrogen is bad. I've since come to learn otherwise. I just read this book which was eye-opening. 

The only HRT I  use is pessaries for vaginal dryness.  I'm not unduly worried about CVD, osteoporosis and Alzheimers because the lifestyle recommendations are similar for all of those. My risk of a cardio vascular event in the next ten years is apparently 4%. I'm fine with that.

My mum was on HRT for years and it didn't seem to cause her any harm. She's 96, pretty  healthy and reasonably on the ball. However she didn't drive and ate a healthy diet. So I can't say that the HRT was key.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2020 at 11:00 AM, Matryoshka said:

I'm w/ Matryoshka. Although, too, you might want to talk to your obgyn about hormone replacement therapy (HRT).

I just wanted to add that I'm 56 and am blown away at how hard it is to keep weight off. It's really, really hard.

I lost 55 lbs. in my 40's and keeping those pounds off after 50 was challenging, but do-able. Now that I'm past 55? It's a new ball game. I have deep respect for women who do gain, because it's hard to keep it off.

Hang in there, ♥♥♥

W.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 10:00 AM, Matryoshka said:

Everybody talks about hot flashes and insomnia and weight gain, but few talk about the massive ways perimenopause can mess with the brain.
It can cause severe depression. Anxiety. Changes in sexual orientation. It can thoroughly mess you up. And exercise, clean diet and good sleep habits may not be enough. Oh, I forget to mention extreme irritability. The well meaning person with the inspirational quote about how this is a healthy journey risks being punched in the jaw.

The incredible amount of strenuous outdoor exercise and sunshine I now need for stable mental health required a big change in my daily schedule and a reordering of priorities. 

Knowing that this can happen and is not uncommon can help a woman not to feel like she's crazy.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

If anyone is interested, I will update you after my phone consultation with her next week. I've already received a fabulously helpful personalized 81-page document to read before the appointment. I'm learning so much and am already starting to make some changes. I can't wait to make more. Without going into details, some of the stuff pertaining to me has been mind-blowing. 

• Like 3

Just updating in case anyone is interested. the phone consultation was fabulous. I would say that it is by far the best $200 that I have spent in the longest while. I learned so much. She's sweet, approachable, helpful ... you name it. I'm so thankful to my dh who encouraged me to do all this. I'm also thankful for all the helpful feedback. 

• Like 3

On 8/20/2020 at 11:00 AM, MissLemon said:

Am I the only person disappointed this post wasn't about a doll? 😁

NO! Every time I see this thread title, I think, "Oh, a doll thread!!!" and .5 seconds later remember there is no actual doll involved. 😞 Alas.

• Like 1

Thought to share this final thought here. 

If a friend felt concerned and and if she were to ask me, after learning what I've been learning, I would suggest:
a. either watching this video with a Gynecologic Menopause Specialist

or

b. looking for a Gynecologic Menopause Specialist in your area (she has info on that). If it's not in the video, I can share that here.

or
c. booking a one-hour session with Menopause Taylor.

The medical professional doesn't inform us much about menopause, because menopause is barely touched upon in medical school.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 4:54 PM, negin said:

Just updating in case anyone is interested. the phone consultation was fabulous. I would say that it is by far the best $200 that I have spent in the longest while. I learned so much. She's sweet, approachable, helpful ... you name it. I'm so thankful to my dh who encouraged me to do all this. I'm also thankful for all the helpful feedback. 

without going into detail, would you mind giving a rough idea what kinds of things she has been able to help you with?

I have a hard time imagining what a menopause specialist could tell me that would be actually helpful for my problems, and that isn't available in the literature.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, regentrude said:

without going into detail, would you mind giving a rough idea what kinds of things she has been able to help you with?

I have a hard time imagining what a menopause specialist could tell me that would be actually helpful for my problems, and that isn't available in the literature.

I'm bookmarking this to get back to you later. Too much to do this morning and I'm already behind. 

On 10/23/2020 at 11:55 AM, regentrude said:

I've been slowly watching her videos in order. I don't have her book yet, and am waiting for that to arrive. I also sometimes listen to her podcasts. I had a one-hour consultation with her, where she sent me 81-pages full of helpful, detailed info, a great deal of it customized to me. That cost $200, and to be honest, it's been the best $200 that I've spent in the longest while. Everyone may have a different experience, but for me, this was a godsend. 

Although I've been in menopause for just over a year, I really didn't know much about it. I didn't bother spending time researching and reading, since, to be honest, my symptoms have been fairly mild, the typical symptoms of menopause that is - things that we all hear about such as hot flashes, and so forth. Plus, my life has been so crazy lately, that I didn't think that I had the time to do any research. 

I've learned so much:

1. As we go through menopause, our bodies then start to age and need to compensate for the loss of estrogen. Heart disease runs in my family, not breast cancer. Alzheimer's and osteoporosis are also major concerns. When it comes to heart disease, the loss of estrogen leads to the hardening of the arteries. It's all about the aging process. To be honest, I don't care that much about the (hopefully) temporary menopausal symptoms. This may be because mine have been fairly mild. I am far more concerned about the long-term consequences when it comes to estrogen loss. 

2. HRT is not necessarily a bad thing. I had been led to believe that it's to be avoided for all. If one chooses to use HRT/estrogen replacement therapy, there is a window of time that is most ideal - and that's 5-10 years after menopause. The older we get, the less our bodies can tolerate the reintroduction of estrogen. She never tells you what you should do. She shares the info and the rest is up to you. 

3. Soy products are not bad for you. She has a great video on that. I've been avoiding all soy products for about a decade and I wish that I hadn't. 

4. We lose 2% of our bone every year in the first five years without estrogen. So that’s 10% in the first five years. Then 1% every year after that. She urged me to have a bone density (DEXA) test as soon as possible, to send her the results, not to be satisfied with what they say, and to try to have one every year. The guidelines for age 65 and up are rubbish. 

5. My severe bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome started a few months before menopause. After seeing several doctors and specialists, having tests done, and all, none of them offered much in the way of help. She told me that my CTS is definitely related to estrogen deficiency. 

6. She gives customized dietary, exercise, and supplement advice. 

7. She gives lists of all the HRT dosage and types. 

8. She gives helpful info on how to find a Menopause Specialist in your area. Unfortunately, we don't have anything, I mean absolutely nothing, on the tiny (undeveloped) island where we live. If I could, I would hop on a plane right now and see a specialist in the U.S. I would then go every year. I'm obese and at high-risk for Covid, so no traveling anywhere at the moment. As soon as I can, however, I will be seeing a specialist. 

9. If one is unable to see a Menopause Specialist, she gives advice on how to convince your physician/ob-gyn, to help you get HRT, if that's what you choose to do. Most physicians know very little about menopause. When it comes to ob-gyns, most medical schools spend one hour, one hour (!!!) covering menopause. Their focus is mainly on pregnancy and childbirth. 

10. Before the consultation, she has you send in as much info as possible - all test results, supplement info, anything, any questions. 

11. She goes into detail on:

Heart Attacks

Blood Clots

Stroke

Osteoporosis and DEXA Scans - lots and lots of info on all that 

Alzheimer's

Breast Cancer

Vaginal Dryness

Weight Gain - including Truncal Obesity

Aging

Diet

Thyroid

Less Energy

Diet versus Dieting

Menopause Diet

Sales Pitches and Consumerism

Diet, Nutrition, and Fitness Industries

Keto Diet

Juicing

Hair issues and hair loss

--

I hope that this has been helpful. 

Edited by negin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, negin said:

You're most welcome. 
I wanted to add that she also shares info on all the various options - not just HRT. Again, she shares and the rest is up to us. 

I have a question for you, something I am not sure I understand correctly:

You say have yearly bone density scan, as loss of bone is 10% during first five years - but OTOH, have HRT for the window 5-10 years after menopause. Then what good would the bone density scans do if one's not supplementing until after the damage is done? Or does she mean begin HRT immediately upon reaching menopause and continue for 5 years and up to 10 years?

Edited by regentrude