Menu

S/O- "questionable" advice you have seen given by newbie homeschoolers

teachermom2834

In the thread hating on the new homeschoolers I mentioned that I (a 17 year homeschool veteran) have given up on giving advice because newbies tell me I am wrong. I was thinking about the final straw for me and it was when someone insisited that homeschoolers could not get into college or recieve scholarships unless they graduated from Liberty University online school (or whatever the online high school associated is called). No way could I convince the person giving the advice or a few of her followers that was simply untrue. Didn't matter that I had two kids graduated and get tons of college scholarships and acceptances. I was wrong and she would not concede her point. Ah well...that was the end for me trying to be helpful with what I had learned in that format. This was pre pandemic so I guess I was ready for the onslaught that has come this summer.

The things that have made me crazy since Covid homeschooling discussion were the suggestion to use Khan Academy as an umbrella school. Another poster set that one straight and said that Easy Peasy is the best umbrella school. Yet another told them both they were wrong and said "this is where you sign up to homeschool" and linked Time4Learning.com. (our state requires registering with the local school system or an approved umbrella school so all of those options leave people truant). There was then an argument about the "homeschool fee". A couple people tried to point out that there is no "homeschool fee". That was met with mocking and derision by posters commenting that they know the fee was $250 the year before and someone else saying it is more because they homeschooled a few years ago and it was much more expensive and someone else saying it is $40/mo. Etc, etc, etc. Everyone was an expert and they were all so very very wrong.

Just made me wonder what "questionable" advice others have seen that have turned them off to being helpful or just makes them crazy. I never have been able to let go of the Liberty online thing. 

• Confused 13
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

I keep seeing posts about approved or accredited curriculum? I don't know where this idea came from?  It always shot down immediately.

That’s one I’ve seen. And splitting the cost of that, too. (???)

I’ve seen vets say that high schoolers can re-enter without any issue, which is true in some districts and may be true in more districts next year, but there’s still no guarantee in many (most? All? Certainly not mine) states.  All the love and light/don’t worry be happy is sweet, but I’d hate to be the person who said it was A-OK and then see a kid repeat a year of high school.

• Like 6

The one that really makes me cringe is the idea that you don't have to bother with any teaching for K-3 because they will pick up everything they need to know on their own. 

I am a-okay with "crisis schooling" at those ages just consisting of a bit of reading, writing and 'rithmetic; even Khan, ABC Mouse and a handwriting app are better than nothing...but nothing?!?!  No handwriting in kindergarten?  No reading instruction of any kind for a first grader?  No math at all in 2nd?  That seems to be bordering on educational neglect.  I mean, yes, some kids are going to learn under any circumstances, and a larger percentage will learn by osmosis if you read to them enough and live a "mathy" life, but the kids who are not going to automatically learn on their own are exactly the ones who can least afford to lose a year of instruction.

It would be one thing if these parents were planning to homeschool long-term - then I guess it doesn't matter as much if the kid skips a year of math and reading.  But if they are going to be entering the public school again next semester or next year, then you are doing them a huge disservice not even giving them a chance to learn what will be expected of them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Telling people to join HSLDA. 
Edit:  I know they can be helpful in some circumstances, if you’re the right “flavor” of homeschooler (and Christian 🙄), but mostly I think they prey on fears about legal troubles that are mostly non-existent. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Any idea where this one is even coming from? Is this a fee for a kind of program that someone's misrepresenting? 

I have the impression it is whatever people are paying for their curriculum or online program or however they choose to homeschool. They are all very confused about the law and how everything works but they don't realize they are as confused as they are. 

• Like 2

So many.  The one giving high school advice and telling us we are wrong who has kids under 13.  The other one telling people that homeschoolers don’t need transcripts for high school as colleges automatically accept homeschoolers. Home schooling high school doesn’t happen at home. By time they are in high school, they are all taking college classes. I did point out the flaws in both thoughts and got flack. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Plum said:

That’s been a common piece of advice here because the schools are horribly misleading newbies on the law. I posted it in another thread that they either don’t know the law and are completely making up the rules as they go or they are purposely misleading them to prevent them from withdrawing successfully. It’s bad.

The usual age-based placement is being thrown out the window and parents are being told their kid will have to repeat their grade. 

We have a school board trustee asking in a public session what the district is doing to prevent people from withdrawing their kids to homeschool. She wants barriers put in place. This is getting ugly.  These newbies need advocates and there aren’t enough veteran homeschoolers to advocate.

Heck I’m thinking of joining HSLDA.  If there is another advocate group that will handle this level of shenanigans I’m in. If not, I’m left with HSLDA. 

Fair enough. I live in a fairly low-reg state where HS is pretty common. I can see where people would need help in that type of a situation! 

3 hours ago, wendyroo said:

The one that really makes me cringe is the idea that you don't have to bother with any teaching for K-3 because they will pick up everything they need to know on their own. 

I am a-okay with "crisis schooling" at those ages just consisting of a bit of reading, writing and 'rithmetic; even Khan, ABC Mouse and a handwriting app are better than nothing...but nothing?!?!  No handwriting in kindergarten?  No reading instruction of any kind for a first grader?  No math at all in 2nd?  That seems to be bordering on educational neglect.  I mean, yes, some kids are going to learn under any circumstances, and a larger percentage will learn by osmosis if you read to them enough and live a "mathy" life, but the kids who are not going to automatically learn on their own are exactly the ones who can least afford to lose a year of instruction.

It would be one thing if these parents were planning to homeschool long-term - then I guess it doesn't matter as much if the kid skips a year of math and reading.  But if they are going to be entering the public school again next semester or next year, then you are doing them a huge disservice not even giving them a chance to learn what will be expected of them.

I've had the opposite situation bother me.  Telling people they need a $500 accredited curriculum for preschool or kindergarten.   Kindergarten isn't even required in my state.   That doesn't mean not doing anything for K, just it doesn't have to be an expensive, structured box curriculum.

The usual suggestions are to cook, read aloud, play games, do crafts, go on nature walks, field trips, etc. 

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 2

"Just bake with them! That's all the math they need!" 

That advice is usually offered by a mom of a 4 year old.  It doesn't matter how old the children are of a newbie homeschooler; the pre-k moms will pipe up with cookie math suggestions for someone's middle schooler. 

A mom of a 14 year old was asking for advice on how to motivate her student and make sure the work was getting done.  Pre-K mom suggested a sticker chart to reward completed work. 🙄 Just staaaaaaaahp. 

Most of the bad advice I saw came from people that had been "homeschooling" toddlers for about a minute and insisting that all levels of homeschooling can be completed in about an hour a day. 

Lots of advice on how to "count" some daily life event as "school" for a transcript, in an effort to avoid teaching real academics because "Who's going to know?"  I've seen some transcripts that are heavy on subjects like "Home Economics" and "Animal Husbandry", and I KNOW all that child did was wash her own laundry and walk the dog daily.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 4

“It only takes two hours to teach kids because there’s no standing in line for the bathroom or taking role.” 

“Life is math and math is life. They’ll learn everything they need to know from baking, cutting up pizza, and going to the grocery store.”

”I’m not pointing my kids towards college, anyway; it’s much better to learn a trade.” 

Nope. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

The advice I'm seeing is ways to reward your child for doing their work. Pay your child to read a book! Stickers, candy, junk toys if they do anything academic! The new homeschoolers keep asking what kind of rewards they should give and the experienced homeschoolers keep answering, "Rewards? Learning is the reward!"

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

“The best is...”

”If your kids aren’t asking to do school you’re doing it wrong.”

”Curriculum doesn’t work.”

”Kids will learn what they need to learn through living life.”

”Homeschooling shouldn’t take more than 2 hours a day.” (Regardless of age)

“I’ve been homeschooling for a year now. If you want to talk to an experienced homeschooled, PM me.”

”I’ve been homeschooling my Ker and 2nd grader from the beginning. I’m happy to answer any questions you have about homeschooling.” 

There is sooooooo much misinformation out there. And so many people with very little experience offering all kinds of less than helpful information to panicked new parents. Add in all the misinformation being shared with poor spelling and grammar so that it’s even harder to understand and all my Facebook homeschool groups are madness. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

There is sooooooo much misinformation out there. And so many people with very little experience offering all kinds of less than helpful information to panicked new parents. Add in all the misinformation being shared with poor spelling and grammar so that it’s even harder to understand and all my Facebook homeschool groups are madness. 

Ahhhhh! In my local group, the admin has been homeschooling less than a year and doles out all kinds of nonsense advice about "needing" an accredited program like Acellus.  All of her posts are run on sentences without punctuation, capitalization, or coherence. 

"welcome newbies too homescooling welcome hope finding what you need and acellus is a good option check it out welcome thanks"

*sigh*

• Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 5

52 minutes ago, Quill said:

“It only takes two hours to teach kids because there’s no standing in line for the bathroom or taking role.” 

This is the one that always gets me. I'm sorry, but if my high schooler is done in two hours a day, she's getting more work. Period. My number-one goal is to teach my kids to THINK, and if they are blowing through six or eight subjects in two hours, they aren't having to think hard enough. Of course, every time I say this, I'm accused of advocating "busy work." 

Just to be clear: We don't do busy work in our school. We also don't check boxes. We do work that is carefully designed to appropriately challenge the student at his or her current level. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Ahhhhh! In my local group, the admin has been homeschooling less than a year and doles out all kinds of nonsense advice about "needing" an accredited program like Acellus.  All of her posts are run on sentences without punctuation, capitalization, or coherence. 

"welcome newbies too homescooling welcome hope finding what you need and acellus is a good option check it out welcome thanks"

*sigh*

Please say that's satire.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Paige said:

I’d bet it’s a direct quote, unfortunately. We have someone who posts like this constantly and answers almost every question. Sometimes the answer is just, “Search my name on this page for more info”. They’re also putting together a series of “Homeschool 101” workshops they plan to offer around the state. Oldest child is 6 and they’ve been “homeschooling” for 2 years. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Lots of advice on how to "count" some daily life event as "school" for a transcript, in an effort to avoid teaching real academics because "Who's going to know?"  I've seen some transcripts that are heavy on subjects like "Home Economics" and "Animal Husbandry", and I KNOW all that child did was wash her own laundry and walk the dog daily.  

I'm sad to say that I've seen the exact same advice from veteran homeschoolers with high school kids. ☹️  Normal chores = 4 years of Home Ec. A few riding lessons = a credit in Equine Science.  A co-op robotics club that meets an hour/week + helping grandparents figure out email and FaceTime = a full credit in Computer Science (and you can totally count that as one of the 2 required science credits and colleges will accept it). Completing one volume of Easy Grammar = a full English credit, and then you can give another full credit for Literature if they read 2 novels and write an essay about each one. 10th grader still struggling to get through MUS Prealgebra? Just list 3 years worth of "Integrated Math" and call it good, no one needs algebra in real life anyway.  You can give a full PE credit every year for baseball + another full credit every year for Health & Fitness for the hours they spend training — or better yet, give 2 credits for Health & Fitness and two credits for Human Physiology I & II, so that's science covered. And if they help coach younger kids you can give full credits every year for Leadership. (As if adcoms can't possibly notice that this kid basically has 12 credits for playing baseball, lol.)

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 10

3 hours ago, Paige said:

Nope. True story.  That admin was "promoted" after a few months of homeschooling, and cannot string together a coherent written sentence to save her life.  The other admin is an "unschooler" who says things like "I don't know the names of all the planets. Why would you ever need to know that?  It's not like I'm ever going to live on one of them" and "I don't see why it's my responsibility to teach my kids about math/science/history/anything. If they want to learn it, it's up to them to make it happen". I asked her how the kids could make that happen, since they lived 10+ miles from the library, the kids weren't old enough to drive, had no means to buy books themselves, and mom limited screen time.  She said "Oh...I hadn't really thought about that".  The kids literally did nothing in particular all day long, except care for younger siblings.  The mom complained that the kids kept begging her to go to school, but she would not allow it. She finally signed the kids up for Acellus for high school. I guess it's better than nothing?

I could rant for hours about the sloppy and ridiculous things I've seen in this corner of the homeschool world. There has to be some dedicated, thorough homeschoolers out here, but I suspect they avoid the local fb groups like the plague because they are full of nonsense.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

I can't even.....

I was just going through course descriptions tonight that some kind friends shared over the years.  I'd forgotten how varied the approaches were, and I was surprised that there were so many books I would have classified as middle school level.  The most rigorous program was that of a student accepted at a "public Ivy" with a nice scholarship, but the least rigorous was still accepted into a good state school and graduated with honors.  

I haven't had to deal with new homeschoolers yet, but I did get to explain our homeschool law to a public school teacher who was considering staying home with her kids this year.  She had no idea.  

16 hours ago, wendyroo said:

I am a-okay with "crisis schooling" at those ages just consisting of a bit of reading, writing and 'rithmetic; even Khan, ABC Mouse and a handwriting app are better than nothing...but nothing?!?!  No handwriting in kindergarten?  No reading instruction of any kind for a first grader?  No math at all in 2nd?  That seems to be bordering on educational neglect.

wow. I'm pretty far into the "little kids don't need much schoolwork" end of the pool, but that's crazy pants. And silly. I mean, a first grader can do a page of handwriting, a page of math or a math game or whatever, and a phonics lesson in less than an hour. It's not a heavy burden! (I will say I don't force my K students to do worksheets on days they just are not feeling it.....mandatory seat work starts in 1st in my house.) That plus some PBS kids and games is fine. But yeah, to not do anything, especially if you plan on putting them back in school, is a bad idea. 

But I'm not seeing that much in the groups I am in. (except for that terrible advice of "oh, if they can't sound out words still at 8, don't worry! That's normal!' No, no it isn't, and if they ARE dyslexic the sooner you start remediation the better)

12 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

The advice I'm seeing is ways to reward your child for doing their work. Pay your child to read a book! Stickers, candy, junk toys if they do anything academic! The new homeschoolers keep asking what kind of rewards they should give and the experienced homeschoolers keep answering, "Rewards? Learning is the reward!"

Wow! That must come from the classroom mindset?

12 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

This is the one that always gets me. I'm sorry, but if my high schooler is done in two hours a day, she's getting more work. Period. My number-one goal is to teach my kids to THINK, and if they are blowing through six or eight subjects in two hours, they aren't having to think hard enough. Of course, every time I say this, I'm accused of advocating "busy work." 

Just to be clear: We don't do busy work in our school. We also don't check boxes. We do work that is carefully designed to appropriately challenge the student at his or her current level. 

Ok, so I'm all for flexibility, but yeah, that's crazy. Math will take about an hour on it's own! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

I HATE that kind of advice. Waiting can close doors.

and you KNOW I don't usually advocate for early anything, lol! But with speech issues, dyslexia, etc we are talking about brain rewiring. You want that brain as plastic as possible. 

13 hours ago, Quill said:

!! They think schools spend 4-5 hours standing in line and taking roll?
I'm not sure they even take verbal role after the first week or so. THe teacher glances around and can tell who is there or not.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

In the thread hating on the new homeschoolers I mentioned that I (a 17 year homeschool veteran) have given up on giving advice because newbies tell me I am wrong. I was thinking about the final straw for me and it was when someone insisited that homeschoolers could not get into college or recieve scholarships unless they graduated from Liberty University online school (or whatever the online high school associated is called). No way could I convince the person giving the advice or a few of her followers that was simply untrue. Didn't matter that I had two kids graduated and get tons of college scholarships and acceptances. I was wrong and she would not concede her point. Ah well...that was the end for me trying to be helpful with what I had learned in that format. This was pre pandemic so I guess I was ready for the onslaught that has come this summer.

The things that have made me crazy since Covid homeschooling discussion were the suggestion to use Khan Academy as an umbrella school. Another poster set that one straight and said that Easy Peasy is the best umbrella school. Yet another told them both they were wrong and said "this is where you sign up to homeschool" and linked Time4Learning.com. (our state requires registering with the local school system or an approved umbrella school so all of those options leave people truant). There was then an argument about the "homeschool fee". A couple people tried to point out that there is no "homeschool fee". That was met with mocking and derision by posters commenting that they know the fee was $250 the year before and someone else saying it is more because they homeschooled a few years ago and it was much more expensive and someone else saying it is $40/mo. Etc, etc, etc. Everyone was an expert and they were all so very very wrong.

Just made me wonder what "questionable" advice others have seen that have turned them off to being helpful or just makes them crazy. I never have been able to let go of the Liberty online thing. 

I think a lot of TN folks are confused about the difference between umbrella school, online school, and curriculum. And it is becoming obvious that this includes a lot of people who have been homeschooling for years. I’m staying out of it because I’m not sure what we’ve done would work for anyone but DD. 

• Like 1

Just now, dmmetler said:

I think a lot of TN folks are confused about the difference between umbrella school, online school, and curriculum. And it is becoming obvious that this includes a lot of people who have been homeschooling for years. I’m staying out of it because I’m not sure what we’ve done would work for anyone but DD. 

Oh yes. And our local schools have made the distinctions between remote learning, virtual school, homeschooling with an umbrella school and independent homeschooling very confusing. I understand that it is very difficult especially if you have never had occasion to look into homeschool laws before.  It's so hard to help them even sort it out. They don't have the context or base of knowledge to even know what questions they should be asking. So, I don't blame them for being confused. I do have to bow out though because they don't believe me. I have seen people recommend Khan Academy as an umbrella school. I pop on and comment that they can use Khan Academy but it doesn't legally cover them in TN and they will need to register with an umbrella school or the schools system. Then people tell me I am wrong. So at that point I'm done trying. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

I don't get over here often anymore, but I've seen the "need treasure box" ideas on a lot of FB HS groups. I think it definitely comes from the public school mindset. It may not even be something the parents want to do but feel like they have to because the kids expect it after public school. When faced with not seeing friends, etc., learning at home sounds lonely and boring to a lot of kids, so I think some parents are trying to re-create a little something familiar and fun. We don't do them ourselves, but my kids have no frame of reference for them because only medical type people give out rewards/stickers in their world. Learning is the reward here (and also, no work, no screens), but I feel for the covid homeschoolers who really don't know what they don't know. 

57 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Oh yes. And our local schools have made the distinctions between remote learning, virtual school, homeschooling with an umbrella school and independent homeschooling very confusing. I understand that it is very difficult especially if you have never had occasion to look into homeschool laws before.  It's so hard to help them even sort it out. They don't have the context or base of knowledge to even know what questions they should be asking. So, I don't blame them for being confused. I do have to bow out though because they don't believe me. I have seen people recommend Khan Academy as an umbrella school. I pop on and comment that they can use Khan Academy but it doesn't legally cover them in TN and they will need to register with an umbrella school or the schools system. Then people tell me I am wrong. So at that point I'm done trying. 

The thing that drives me nuts is the "use an accredited online school if you want high school credit". Well, that's great, but if you enroll your TN high school senior full time in an accredited online school out of state and they graduate there, they are an out of state high school graduate. Still eligible for in-state tuition, but not for scholarships based on being a TN high school graduate. I spent three years telling DAO that their requirement of full time enrollment and registration made it untenable for us to enroll DD because she would lose too much potential scholarship money. But yeah, I'm wrong and Abeka isn't really in Florida, Liberty isn't really in VA, and BYU isn't really in Utah. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

Oh yeah. I've literally seen people say, "I don't want to waste my time teaching algebra."

This one drives me crazy and I usually respond. I regularly point out to my children how often we use basic algebra in daily life and how Dad uses it almost every day in his job.

• Like 1

Today my local news station has a classroom teacher givng advice about how to set up a learning environment in your home. I'm sure she's a great teacher, but I'm not sure why the reporter thought that she would be an expert on learning at home. She shows parents how to make a corner of their house look like a classroom and recommends stickers and rewards.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/education/teachers-tips-for-creating-the-best-environment-for-online-learning/287-cac6f2fb-10cb-4f81-ad3c-a0dd0f38f7d4

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

This one drives me crazy and I usually respond. I regularly point out to my children how often we use basic algebra in daily life and how Dad uses it almost every day in his job.

I can't ever let this one go either. I have to say something whenever it comes up. I am not someone who thinks that all students should get through calc in high school, but algebra 1? Yeah, sorry -- I think that's the BARE minimum for any NT kid. And the assertion that it's a waste of time to teach is so appallingly anti-intellectual that it's almost unbelievable. Of course, it's usually accompanied by the statement, "I want to teach math that my kids will use in real life," which pretty much is proof of concept right there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

The thing that drives me nuts is the "use an accredited online school if you want high school credit". Well, that's great, but if you enroll your TN high school senior full time in an accredited online school out of state and they graduate there, they are an out of state high school graduate. Still eligible for in-state tuition, but not for scholarships based on being a TN high school graduate. I spent three years telling DAO that their requirement of full time enrollment and registration made it untenable for us to enroll DD because she would lose too much potential scholarship money. But yeah, I'm wrong and Abeka isn't really in Florida, Liberty isn't really in VA, and BYU isn't really in Utah. 

You are 100% correct and may be the first person I have communicated with that understands this issue regarding Hope scholarship!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ddcrook said:

Today my local news station has a classroom teacher givng advice about how to set up a learning environment in your home. I'm sure she's a great teacher, but I'm not sure why the reporter thought that she would be an expert on learning at home. She shows parents how to make a corner of their house look like a classroom and recommends stickers and rewards.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/education/teachers-tips-for-creating-the-best-environment-for-online-learning/287-cac6f2fb-10cb-4f81-ad3c-a0dd0f38f7d4

I've seen a number of posts like this. Most recently from HGTV! So many people wanting to cash in on crisis schoolers, it's making me angry!

• Like 2

Oh, gosh, yes.  I watched one where people were turning their garage into a classroom and another where they set up a giant dome/tent thing in their back yard as a school room.  IMHO, that's a giant waste of yard space!   Just give the kids a crate for their books and a box for their pencils and use the kitchen table as a desk.  They can toss it all back in the crate at meal time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

I dunno... if I had the space, it sounds nice! Sometimes having dedicated areas does help kids (and adults) get into the right mode.

(We live in a 1200 square foot apartment. We don’t have the space, we just wish we did!)

Oh, I know it can help.  I'm just saying you don't have give up your back yard for schoolwork!   There are options!

To give them the benefit of the doubt, when DD came out of school, one thing she really wanted was "school stuff". We started homeschooling in the playroom and couch and at the kitchen table, and she felt very dissatisfied. Decorating the spare bedroom as a school room and setting up little desks for her stuffed animals and dolls and buying a little school desk with space inside for school supplies and plastic stacking chair and putting her name on a cute little nameplate on it made her feel more "normal"-even though we still mostly schooled in the playroom, on the couch, and at the kitchen table. I think she stopped decorating every year in about 7th grade. I could easily see kids who are mourning the loss of school being comforted by bulletin board borders, ABC charts, and a new lunchbox. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dmmetler said:

To give them the benefit of the doubt, when DD came out of school, one thing she really wanted was "school stuff". We started homeschooling in the playroom and couch and at the kitchen table, and she felt very dissatisfied. Decorating the spare bedroom as a school room and setting up little desks for her stuffed animals and dolls and buying a little school desk with space inside for school supplies and plastic stacking chair and putting her name on a cute little nameplate on it made her feel more "normal"-even though we still mostly schooled in the playroom, on the couch, and at the kitchen table. I think she stopped decorating every year in about 7th grade. I could easily see kids who are mourning the loss of school being comforted by bulletin board borders, ABC charts, and a new lunchbox. 

Oh sure! When my kids were younger, they wanted backpacks eventhough they didn't have anywhere to take them. And there is certainly nothing wrong with having a dedicated schoolroom or school area. Our house has a study that we call the schoolroom. That's where we keep the books and my girls have desks with comfy chairs, but we end up spending a lot of time at the kitchen island or the couch. 

What suprised me is that when they asked a teacher to share her tips for creating the best learning environment, her answer was to spend $20 at the dollar store buying teacher items and stickers for rewards. If people want to do that, great. I just hope parents don't think that it is necessary for establishing a learning environment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dmmetler said:

Okay, I can see that.  And that could be why they chose to convert the garage or set up the dome in the back yard.  If their kids need it and it works for them, that's great they have the option and are willing to sacrifice the convenience of having a garage or a back yard.   The reporter implied that parents needed to establish a dedicated room for kids to learn successfully at home, though, and that's not universally true.  It bothers me when extreme examples are held up as "the way to do this correctly."  

7 hours ago, ddcrook said:

What suprised me is that when they asked a teacher to share her tips for creating the best learning environment, her answer was to spend $20 at the dollar store buying teacher items and stickers for rewards. If people want to do that, great. I just hope parents don't think that it is necessary for establishing a learning environment.

Bingo.   

• Like 2

The "school should only take 2 hours" is rampant on my local facebook groups. The worst was when a mom posted with 3 kids plus a baby, two in middle school, wondering why she couldn't finish everything with all of them in 2 hours. Hundreds of people responded with how to shorten school. I was one of very few who asked "why do you think that should only take 2 hours?" 

• Like 12

On 8/6/2020 at 8:17 PM, MissLemon said:

*sigh*

As someone who supports a family of four as a writer, allow me to just say *cringe*

22 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

and you KNOW I don't usually advocate for early anything, lol! But with speech issues, dyslexia, etc we are talking about brain rewiring. You want that brain as plastic as possible. 

I'm dyslexic and it was caught fairly early, thankfully. I've known people where it wasn't, and you're absolutely right.

Even with it being caught early, school was still a challenge. Some of the other folks I know, it was practically an impossibility.

21 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

You don’t need books to homeschool.  Learning through life is so much better.  Great but they still need books.  

The whole "learning through life" thing always sounds good, but the truth is that if that were really the case, why did people start trying to figure out how to pass along an education for everyone? I mean, were they undead or something, thus not having a life to learn from?

• Like 4

I'm a new homeschool dad, so I can't really come at it the same way you all may have, but I've also gotten some questionable advice over the last several months.

"You can do everything for free and have just as good an education as public school."

Uh...considering how bad our local schools are, that isn't a ringing endorsement. Further, after looking at some of the free stuff out there, I'm not sure that's an accurate assessment.

"You need to buy a boxed curriculum, otherwise the state won't accept you're homeschooling."

Uh...you do know I can read the Department of Education's website, right? It says I have to teach, reading, math, science, social studies, and language arts and spend 4.5 hours per day doing it. It doesn't say I need to drop hundreds of dollars on a boxed curriculum that may not even fit my family's needs.

"You really need to use <insert favorite approach here>."

Yeah, how about no.

I mean, don't get me wrong, those approaches may look fantastic from the outside, but that doesn't mean they work for everyone. Charlotte Mason is the way to go? My daughter doesn't like reading (yeah, I'm working on changing this). Unschooling? Oh, how I wish, but she doesn't seem inclined toward learning that way. Learing through life? See above.

Just because it works for your kid doesn't mean it'll work for mine. Suggest I look into it? Sure, that's fair. Tell me I have to do it? Yeah...I'm too anti-authoritarian for that to ever work on me.

"Oh, you're homeschooling? Do this math."

See anti-authoritarian comment above. 

Honestly, I've gotten a few doozies and I'm just starting out at this. I can't wait to see what all I'll come across in the years to come.

• Like 8

On 8/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, Quill said:

“Life is math and math is life. They’ll learn everything they need to know from baking, cutting up pizza, and going to the grocery store.”

”I’m not pointing my kids towards college, anyway; it’s much better to learn a trade.” 

Nope. 

A good maths education is helpful.for a trade too.  

I think the 2 hours a day is people not thinking that what a 6 year old needs and what a 12 year old needs is different.  

And I keep seeing easy peasy and start right books recommended.  Start right are a good starting point but as are meant to be supplements only.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TomK said:

I'm a new homeschool dad, so I can't really come at it the same way you all may have, but I've also gotten some questionable advice over the last several months.

"You can do everything for free and have just as good an education as public school."

On one hand, I do really, truly believe this is true (perhaps not free, you do need something to write on and something to write with, but very, very, very low cost). 

On the other hand, my belief comes with a couple big caveats.  1) It requires a huge amount of time, energy, organization and dedication from the parent, 2) It requires a robust library or other source of free reading materials, and 3) It will be much easier with a reliable internet connection.

I keep vacillating over adding a #4) That special needs kids may require special resources.  But the longer I homeschool, the most I question how much value is added by any curriculum I buy ("special" or otherwise), and how much of my kids' growth and learning can simply be attributed to time on task (both mine and theirs).  Certainly some curricula make my life easier, save me work, streamline teaching...but, honestly, I think sometimes that backfires.  For example, writing is a huge struggle for my kids, and I have found that the greatest gains come not when I try a new program for them, but when I invest time in becoming a better writing teacher myself.

Edited by wendyroo
  • Like 15

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can't do it for free. I don't know enough to make a definitive statement one way or another.

I'm just saying that making a blanket statement like that without specifics isn't really good advice because some of the free stuff out there is a joke and, as you noted, there are some significant caveats that should probably be attached. Maybe there are others that are really good, but it's often not what's coming up when people look for free curriculums.

Plus, to be fair, it also may depend on the subject as well.

• Like 1