Menu

Christians demonizing exercise- this is a new one for me. (cc, obviously)

And I am a Christian! I have such a hard time being surrounded by "Christians" who are so demon obsessed that everything is "of the devil."

Anyway, my daughter was subjected to a conversation about how stretching is satanic. It's bad for the body they said. They said this was "proven" at some point. This man said he felt the "candelini" (if you know anything about yoga and meditation, the word is kundalini) demon grasp and start winding up and around his spine, and so he doesn't believe in or do stretching anymore.

Now, it doesn't surprise me that some people have a hard time with yoga, but to each his own. I have my own views on that. But to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak never ceases to amaze me.

My jaw is on the floor, but I just thought I would ask here and see if this view of stretching being evil was more common that I know.

I guess maybe the best thing is not to even bother having a discussion, because I always get into trouble doing that. Would you have started a discussion? Would you get into trouble?;)

I guess I should note that the situation was: We hosted a family for our pastors over Thanksgiving, and this conversation arose with our guests but I was not there at the time.

~Lisa

Edited by Lisa at Home

I think I'd stay out of it. Some people are just off their rockers, and you can't do much about that. Like you, I could understand a reasoned argument for a Christian choosing not to participate in yoga or other meditative practices that are not prayerful. But stretching? Isn't that simply being good stewards of the bodies we've been given?!?

But really, I don't think there's anything to be gained (besides maybe some wacky stories with which to regale others later on!) from getting into a discussion like the one above. Just let the awed look stretch out all the skin around your eyes... :)

Well, as to the "it's been proven that stretching is bad for the body" part, I usually ask for citations ;). There are good ways to stretch and bad ones (no bouncing!) and definitely times when certain ones are contraindicated for certain folks, but, no, I'm not currently aware of research that "all stretching is bad for the body in every circumstance". http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/good-stretch-bad-stretch.php may be helpful.

For the "demonic" part because of some perception on the speaker's part that all stretching is the equivalent of yoga as an intentional non-Christian spiritual practice, well, I agree that with the other posters that it's usually just not worth the breath or aggravation to go there (though it sometimes doesn't stop me;)). To me it seems rather like saying "Elevators are dedicated to the god Otis (his name is right there on every one) and people have died in them, so Christians should never use elevators because that would be worshiping Otis and you will die". It is speaking without accurate knowledge, only fear mixed with a small grain of truth (people have occasionally died in elevators and everyone will eventually die).

In the case of stretching, yes, some non-Christian religious practices incorporate stretching. Ducks are birds but that doesn't mean that all birds are therefore ducks. Some non-Christian religious practices also incorporate breathing, standing, moving, eating, singing, praying, gathering in groups, giving charity, etc too but I gather the speaker hasn't given up all of those.

Edited by KarenNC

I think this is giving demons much more power than they possess. I have heard of the yoga concerns, I don't do yoga and have no real convictions either way. The stretching one is new. I have even heard about how balsamic vinegar is New Age, thus a tool of the devil. :glare: hmmm

I think these things can indicate a spirit of fear. I would talk with my kids later if someone was encouraging them to be afraid in their faith. If this was a person in leadership at my chuch I would have much to think about. But that is me, I can be faulted for erring on the careful side when it comes to church leadership.

Edited by Once

and that's that you don't make exercise an idol. Anything can be an idol in your life, so exercise can be it as well. Don't make it an idol and your fine.

But this is just well, odd. I agree about the yoga and meditation stuff - I personally don't agree with it. But stretching? That's an odd one. I'd probably let the person speak and correct dd of all errors the man said later. "Errors" being anything he said that doesn't line up with what my family believes.

Well, I understand not doing certain things. Origin of things does play a part (a pretty big part) of my decision making process. For example, I also don't eat candy from a gutter.

HOWEVER, I agree with you that this is a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

BUT, there is the whole, "if you believe it's a sin, it's a sin for you." Of course, personal beliefs are not allowed to dictate what other people decide to do. I can't believe they even brought it up. I most certainly wouldn't bring up anything that is a conscience matter or put down other people's choices in a conscience matter.

HOWEVER (I have a lot of howevers and buts), if someone DID bring something up OR if I could guess it, I wouldn't do something offensive to them in front of them. I would never want to hurt or stumble or make another person grumble even. So when we allowed our kids to do certain things other conservative Christians often don't, we didn't bring items from those things to the skate day for homeschoolers, for example. And I was a bit upset when my friend's 5yo came over with a certain t-shirt on last week (I didn't say anything though) and her 14yo tried to play a certain inappropriate game with my 13yo. To me, those things are rude and things she should have counseled her children about before coming just as we've always done when it was us possibly offending another. BUT (hee hee) love covers a multitude of sins also :)

I was so no help, huh....

It's not just a small minority of Christians but some Muslims as well. There was a recent article about the practice of yoga in the Muslim world.

From the AP:

Malaysia's top Islamic body is not keen on yoga.

The National Fatwa Council's non-binding edict said yoga involves not just physical exercise but also includes Hindu spiritual elements, chanting and worship.

"It is inappropriate. It can destroy the faith of a Muslim," Council chairman Abdul Shukor Husin told reporters.

He noted that clerics in Egypt issued a similar edict in 2004 that called the practice of yoga "an aberration."

Though the council's decisions are not legally binding on Malaysia's Muslim population, many abide by the edicts out of deference, and the council does have the authority to ostracize an offending Muslim from society.

The Malaysia fatwa reflects the growing strain of conservatism in Malaysia, which has always taken pride in its multi-ethnic population. About 25 percent of Malaysians are ethnic Chinese and 8 percent ethnic Indians, mostly Hindus.

Recently, the council issued an edict banning tomboys, ruling that girls who act like boys violate the tenets of Islam.

The Fatwa Council took up the yoga issue after an Islamic scholar last month expressed an opinion at a seminar that it was un-Islamic.

But yoga teacher Suleiha Merican, who has been practicing yoga for 40 years, called yoga "a great health science" and said there is no religion involved.

"We don't do chanting and meditation. There is no conflict because yoga is not religion based," Merican, 56, told The Associated Press.

There are no figures for how many Muslims practice yoga, but many yoga classes have a sprinkling of Muslims attending.

Putri Rahim, a housewife, said she was no less a Muslim after practicing yoga for 10 years.

"I am mad! Maybe they have it in mind that Islam is under threat. To come out with a fatwa is an insult to intelligent Muslims. It's an insult to my belief," Putri said.

In a recent blog posting, social activist Marina Mahathir criticized the council for even considering a yoga ban, calling it "a classic case of reacting out of fear and ignorance."

My mom was a little alarmed when I told her I was going to try yoga. I have a very basic yoga video that does not involve any chanting or anything beyond stretching and a little slightly odd talk in the context of breathing and being aware of your body and it's processes. It's really nothing. I don't know what other yoga videos/classes are like. I wouldn't do one that seemed off to me.

That said, I think your guest was a bit of a wacko. I wouldn't get into a discussion with him about it unless he pressed the matter and started railing on me or my family about it.

Yeah, all stretching and exercise is bad. Because good Christians should suffer. Physical discomfort and poor health are just some of those mysterious ways in which the Lord works. Why would you do anything to improve your own physical health and interfere with the Lord's hand in your life. Now go flagellate yourself for thinking of exercising. Not.

I have been doing tai chi and I am a Christian. I use it to help my arthritis. I don't know anything spiritual about it at all. Yes, someone may do it for some religious reasons but I am trying to prevent further falls and the resultant breaks. I do that so I don't become a burden and can still help do Christian works.

Simple stretching has nothing to do with yoga or tai chi. I think your motivation and your particular practice is what is key.

I didn't read thoroughly through all the replies, but one very important point not mentioned here.

From researching this before: this info may help dispel the whole false teaching of posession at all. I would strongly recommend speaking to your pastor and then speaking to your dd. As a mom of a very sensitive child, if my dd heard something like this she'd be scared to death. FALSE teachers are to be put out of the church, I'd walk VERY carefully around this person!

" We also reject the belief, held by some Pentecostals and charismatics, that Christians can be demon possessed. The Scripture says "greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world" which makes no sense if a believer can be simultaneously indwelt by both the Holy Spirit and evil spirits. Christians can be attacked by demons, but they cannot be possessed or controlled by them. "

http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:I6vUIL7F8cgJ:www3.calvarychapel.com/library/taylor-larry/text/wcct.htm+can+christians+be+possessed,+calvary+chapel&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Lisa, are you familiar with Augustine's famous "plunder the Egyptians" remark from about A.D. 400? He said this in connection with why Christians can and should utilize real-world information drawn from pagan science to the glory of God, but it can apply to anything that pertains to anything in the real world that might have first been discovered from a pagan source. This should especially be of interest ti classical homeschoolers. IMHO, this reasoning makes a lot of the silliness of the "pagan police" vanish in a puff of logic:

Moreover, if those who are called philosophers, and especially the Platonists, have said aught that is true and in harmony with our faith, we are not only not to shrink from it, but to claim it for our own use from those who have unlawful possession of it. For, as the Egyptians had not only the idols and heavy burdens which the people of Israel hated and fled from, but also vessels and ornaments of gold and silver, and garments, which the same people when going out of Egypt appropriated to themselves, designing them for a better use, not doing this on their own authority, but by the command of God, the Egyptians themselves, in their ignorance, providing them with things which they themselves, were not making a good use of; in the same way all branches of heathen learning have not only false and superstitious fancies and heavy burdens of unnecessary toil, which every one of us, when going out under the leadership of Christ from the fellowship of the heathen, ought to abhor and avoid; but they contain also liberal instruction which is better adapted to the use of the truth, and some most excellent precepts of morality; and some truths in regard even to the worship of the One God are found among them. Now these are, so to speak, their gold and silver, which they did not create themselves, but dug out of the mines of God's providence which are everywhere scattered abroad, and are perversely and unlawfully prostituting to the worship of devils. These, therefore, the Christian, when he separates himself in spirit from the miserable fellowship of these men, ought to take away from them, and to devote to their proper use in preaching the gospel. Their garments, also,--that is, human institutions such as are adapted to that intercourse with men which is indispensable in this life,--we must take and turn to a Christian use.

from

" We also reject the belief, held by some Pentecostals and charismatics, that Christians can be demon possessed. The Scripture says "greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world" which makes no sense if a believer can be simultaneously indwelt by both the Holy Spirit and evil spirits. Christians can be attacked by demons, but they cannot be possessed or controlled by them. "

This is a good point also.

" We also reject the belief, held by some Pentecostals and charismatics, that Christians can be demon possessed. The Scripture says "greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world" which makes no sense if a believer can be simultaneously indwelt by both the Holy Spirit and evil spirits. Christians can be attacked by demons, but they cannot be possessed or controlled by them."

It's not just Pentecostals and charismatics that believe this way. I grew up attending an independent, non-denominational Bible church, and have attended Baptist churches for the last several years, and that is what they teach also. That was my first thought when I read the original post about the guy saying he felt the demon going/curling up his spine.

I'm sorry, the guy sounds like a weirdo. I would understand the yoga thing, though I do not agree with it, but this is just making things up. I would stay far away. He sounds like someone who would make up irrational arguments about anything he didn't like.

I wish I could say exercising, eating healthy and many other things where unChristian and should be avoided.

. . . who exorcise soda machines when they don't give correct change.

Serious.

I don't even start those discussions. Sometimes, when the person of questionable spiritual and intellectual gifts pressures me to comment, I ask leading questions ("So, how can you tell when it's more than just a mechanical failure?" "So, if the repair guy can fix it, is it demon possession?"), but I rarely go much farther.

I'd probably debrief dc, and ignore the situation entirely, if I were in your shoes. If it were a person with ongoing leadership in the youth group, I'd take it up with the youth pastor or senior pastor.

Good grief. Sounds like this person hangs out with my exMIL.

I'm of the belief that it's what's in the heart that matters most. If I do some yoga stretching and my intent is to...stretch, then I'm not practicing an eastern religion or doing anything sinful. I don't believe that simply standing in a particular position is worshiping anything UNLESS the person is actually using that stance for worship.

But, if these people feel yoga is sinful, they shouldn't do it. But, there's nothing in the Bible that says yoga is wrong, or stretching is wrong. For them to try to enforce that belief on other Christians is legalistic and wrong.

My daughter wasn't afraid. She was in as much awe as I. I mentioned in another response that this person doesn't live in my area, so furtunately I won't have to be subjected to his nonsense maybe ever at all.

Thanks for posting,

~Lisa

I didn't read thoroughly through all the replies, but one very important point not mentioned here.

From researching this before: this info may help dispel the whole false teaching of posession at all. I would strongly recommend speaking to your pastor and then speaking to your dd. As a mom of a very sensitive child, if my dd heard something like this she'd be scared to death. FALSE teachers are to be put out of the church, I'd walk VERY carefully around this person!

For the "demonic" part because of some perception on the speaker's part that all stretching is the equivalent of yoga as an intentional non-Christian spiritual practice, well, I agree that with the other posters that it's usually just not worth the breath or aggravation to go there (though it sometimes doesn't stop me;)). To me it seems rather like saying "Elevators are dedicated to the god Otis (his name is right there on every one) and people have died in them, so Christians should never use elevators because that would be worshiping Otis and you will die". It is speaking without accurate knowledge, only fear mixed with a small grain of truth (people have occasionally died in elevators and everyone will eventually die).

And now I SO want to use this line about the elevators on a few people I know...

I am so glad that you posted this!!! I love it, and it is excellent and appropriate.

By the way, it's great to see you posting here! I've been on your astronomy e-mail list for ages and while I feel bad for you when the Cleveland skies are cloudy and block the spectacular, I appreciate your accurate description of home, being a native Clevelander. :)

Thanks for posting,

~Lisa

"Lisa, are you familiar with Augustine's famous "plunder the Egyptians" remark from about A.D. 400? He said this in connection with why Christians can and should utilize real-world information drawn from pagan science to the glory of God, but it can apply to anything that pertains to anything in the real world that might have first been discovered from a pagan source. This should especially be of interest ti classical homeschoolers. IMHO, this reasoning makes a lot of the silliness of the "pagan police" vanish in a puff of logic:

Moreover, if those who are called philosophers, and especially the Platonists, have said aught that is true and in harmony with our faith, we are not only not to shrink from it, but to claim it for our own use from those who have unlawful possession of it. For, as the Egyptians had not only the idols and heavy burdens which the people of Israel hated and fled from, but also vessels and ornaments of gold and silver, and garments, which the same people when going out of Egypt appropriated to themselves, designing them for a better use, not doing this on their own authority, but by the command of God, the Egyptians themselves, in their ignorance, providing them with things which they themselves, were not making a good use of; in the same way all branches of heathen learning have not only false and superstitious fancies and heavy burdens of unnecessary toil, which every one of us, when going out under the leadership of Christ from the fellowship of the heathen, ought to abhor and avoid; but they contain also liberal instruction which is better adapted to the use of the truth, and some most excellent precepts of morality; and some truths in regard even to the worship of the One God are found among them. Now these are, so to speak, their gold and silver, which they did not create themselves, but dug out of the mines of God's providence which are everywhere scattered abroad, and are perversely and unlawfully prostituting to the worship of devils. These, therefore, the Christian, when he separates himself in spirit from the miserable fellowship of these men, ought to take away from them, and to devote to their proper use in preaching the gospel. Their garments, also,--that is, human institutions such as are adapted to that intercourse with men which is indispensable in this life,--we must take and turn to a Christian use.

from On Christian Doctrine, Book II, Chapter 40:60 "

This man said he felt the "candelini" (if you know anything about yoga and meditation, the word is kundalini) demon grasp and start winding up and around his spine, and so he doesn't believe in or do stretching anymore.

Here's betting he has some terrible sexual repression and anything that makes him think of his body is verboten. I'd not let my child alone with him.

There is some other weirdness there. I will stay as far away as possible!

Thanks for taking the time to post,

~Lisa

I'm sorry, the guy sounds like a weirdo. I would understand the yoga thing, though I do not agree with it, but this is just making things up. I would stay far away. He sounds like someone who would make up irrational arguments about anything he didn't like.

I wish I could say exercising, eating healthy and many other things where unChristian and should be avoided.

Yes, I know; I have encounted the occasional extremist. Scary! Fortunately, dd brought the info to me with amusement. She's getting pretty good at recognizing nutty. :D

The man doesn't even go to my church, he was just visiting our pastors. But, due to that, I doubt I could discuss this with them without becoming the bad guy. The most I could hope for is that they just won't come back again.

I am pretty certain at this point that having a discussion based on logic would have had no effect on him. But maybe being able to see his reaction would have given me further insight.

Thanks, as always, for posting,

~Lisa

------

. . . who exorcise soda machines when they don't give correct change.

Serious.

I don't even start those discussions. Sometimes, when the person of questionable spiritual and intellectual gifts pressures me to comment, I ask leading questions ("So, how can you tell when it's more than just a mechanical failure?" "So, if the repair guy can fix it, is it demon possession?"), but I rarely go much farther.

I'd probably debrief dc, and ignore the situation entirely, if I were in your shoes. If it were a person with ongoing leadership in the youth group, I'd take it up with the youth pastor or senior pastor.

It helps me to verbalize a few things to myself that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

But before I go over any deep ends myself, I am really going to have to think about this. There was somewhat of a cultural issue.

Fortunately, there was no chance for my kids to be alone with him. Sheesh, he didn't even want to have his own kids with him. I finally insisted at one point that he take his kids with him on one outing. Other than that, I had his and mine.

Thanks for posting,

~Lisa

I come across folks once in a while that have the most outrageous beliefs....Just this weekend a storekeeper was telling my ds about his nature religion where rocks and water have consciousness and how we "are" and we will keep on living until we display a fear of death and only then do we cease to exist and on and on. Something about dogs.... and on and on.....My poor sons were, of course. speechless......

And my husband and I will never forget on one of our first dates, on a gun range in the middle of nowhere, the owner who told us about how missing persons are really abducted by aliens and forced to be slaves on another planet...... He had a cocked .44 on his hip as he was telling this story....... and how he himself got away....

We just told our kids this man was one of many examples as to why we finish college and stay away from drugs and alcohol.

You can actually hear his whole story retold in "Slackers" the movie... it seems the writer of that movie had also come across this man and decided to include it in his movie.

The best thing is when one can just walk away and not have to engage a person like this ever again.......Good luck on your end.

Without being too crude. I would ask said individual how he got his wife pregnant. The activity that leads to pregnancy often involves some degree of stretching:-)

:smilielol5:

I was already laughing when I read the original post, but this is perfect.

Seriously, take it from a Christian who takes a yoga class twice a week, it's all what you put into it. I have damaged one shoulder to the point where Yoga is the only thing that strengthens and stretches it. I know that there's a lot of controversy around the meditation part of Yoga, but you don't have to do it! Not only that, no one knows what's going on in your head during meditation. I tend to clear my mind and concentrate on my breaths. Sometimes I pray. I have a friend who uses it to commune with her deceased husband. Other people in the class may not agree with what she's doing, but they don't know she's doing it because it doesn't affect them! The Yoga instructor is a very good friend of mine and she doesn't get into all the spiritual aspects. If it was a Yoga class focused on the "religion," I would not go. Since it's focused on physical well being, I LOVE IT!

This kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and there were people who told my mom she shouldn't let us watch the Smurfs or Care Bears because they were satanic. My mom laughed and walked away. Maybe that's the solution, to just give a good chuckle when someone says something like this and walk away. I've reached the point where I feel sorry for people like this. I find they have no joy in their lives. They forget that we are saved by grace, not by actions and God is not going to smite you for stretching after a long run, or watching the Care Bears :smilielol5:! Doesn't He have better things to do?!?

Sorry for the soapbox:D

Blessings!

I have heard this from Muslims too lol. I was told that I should not engage in Yoga because of its spiritual roots. My argument back to the person was that there are many things in life that if you were to dig so deeply into would be considered wrong. In doing so, you miss out on a lot of things that are beneficial without legitimate reason. There are things in religion which are clearly forbidden. Meditation is not one of them. Spiritual enlightenment is not one of them. Strengthening and empowering the body, which is healthy, is actually Islamicaly encouraged. If the person says that something is religiously wrong for me to do without solid proof, then I disregard it. They can believe what they want to believe but for me, the evidence is not there.

"We don't do chanting and meditation. There is no conflict because yoga is not religion based," Merican, 56, told The Associated Press.

Muhammad,pbuh, himself meditated though. Her would go into a cave and spend days in deep thought. What is meditation? Isn't it just focusing the mind and thinking deeply?

Lisa,

I think he's a nut, but he has his reason. I'd pass the bean-dip asap, cuz there is no reasoning with that. I'd have a good talk with my child of course.

And I am a Christian! I have such a hard time being surrounded by "Christians" who are so demon obsessed that everything is "of the devil."

Anyway, my daughter was subjected to a conversation about how stretching is satanic. It's bad for the body they said. They said this was "proven" at some point. This man said he felt the "candelini" (if you know anything about yoga and meditation, the word is kundalini) demon grasp and start winding up and around his spine, and so he doesn't believe in or do stretching anymore.

Now, it doesn't surprise me that some people have a hard time with yoga, but to each his own. I have my own views on that. But to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak never ceases to amaze me.

My jaw is on the floor, but I just thought I would ask here and see if this view of stretching being evil was more common that I know.

I guess maybe the best thing is not to even bother having a discussion, because I always get into trouble doing that. Would you have started a discussion? Would you get into trouble?;)

I guess I should note that the situation was: We hosted a family for our pastors over Thanksgiving, and this conversation arose with our guests but I was not there at the time.

~Lisa

My mom was a little alarmed when I told her I was going to try yoga. I have a very basic yoga video that does not involve any chanting or anything beyond stretching and a little slightly odd talk in the context of breathing and being aware of your body and it's processes. It's really nothing. I don't know what other yoga videos/classes are like. I wouldn't do one that seemed off to me.

My Catholic church has a yoga class for Catholics with Catholic prayers.