Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. Many of the long Covid symptoms are typical of or similar to symptoms of many AI diseases (fatigue, brain fog, muscle/joint aches, etc.). It's long been suspected that viral illnesses may be triggers for some AI diseases. So . .  yeah, I wouldn't doubt it a bit that Covid is triggering diabetes, other AI diseases, or that what we're now calling long Covid will eventually be determined to be a new AI disease.

ETA: I'm cavalier enough to believe that if I got Covid I'd likely get over the initial illness okay. My odds certainly favor that. It's the potential long term/possible AI issues that worry me more than the primary illness. I've already got two AI diseases, and that makes me prone to more. I sure don't want anything that might trigger another one. I mean being sick for a couple of weeks is one thing. Having another chronic, lifelong disease is quite another. No thanks!

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I think is a reasonable line of thought, and I think vaccination rates and openings will be some of the factors of whether it's worse or better in any given area. It makes me upset that we can't cross this finish line better, but I do feel so much better that our older population is much more protected and that I have my two doses scheduled (tomorrow is the first! Pfizer).

I do wonder if more younger people spreading it will drive rates of other problems though, such as long covid, diabetes, lung issues, etc. that show up weeks or months later. 

My super careful, relatively young (maybe late 30's) optometrist got Covid from a patient, and she has new onset exercise-induced asthma, and she said it was a full 12 days of misery when she was ill. She feels lucky to have gotten off that unscathed.

Yes, it’s been weird for me because most of my state has just been open for a while. We do have a mask mandate, but restaurants, gyms, schools, etc have been opened up since last year. I’m not really sure what drives the waves we have because people here have been carrying on as mostly normal since the summer.

• Like 1

Regarding the diabetes article:  my mid-twenties, underweight,  salad-loving, and in to nutritious food-and-exercise daughter tested positive for diabetes after her bout with covid as well.   She has had a worse form of the flu in the past, so covid was a just a setback for a few days.  Doctors don't know what to think as doesn't fit the profile for diabetes, but they will continue to monitor.  It is interesting they are finding this from other covid patients. I hope this doesn't prove true for her in her later years. :sad:

• Sad 15

4 hours ago, ***** said:

Regarding the diabetes article:  my mid-twenties, underweight,  salad-loving, and in to nutritious food-and-exercise daughter tested positive for diabetes after her bout with covid as well.   She has had a worse form of the flu in the past, so covid was a just a setback for a few days.  Doctors don't know what to think as doesn't fit the profile for diabetes, but they will continue to monitor.  It is interesting they are finding this from other covid patients. I hope this doesn't prove true for her in her later years. :sad:

That’s terrible. Do you know if it’s type 1 or 2?

I can’t wait to get vaccinated. Despite being very thin and healthy in my childbearing years, I had insulin dependent gestational diabetes with each pregnancy. I’ve read that puts me at greater risk of getting type 2 later. 

I think my state will open up vaccines for my age on the soon. I was thinking this week, but I can’t remember the date. I’m going to see if I can go ahead and get an appointment.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 4:41 PM, popmom said:

That’s terrible. Do you know if it’s type 1 or 2?

I stand corrected.  She falls in the pre-diabetic stage, sorry for the confusion.  No other info, other than they said she has a 25-40% chance of getting diabetes in her later years.  Still, that is a very high chance. (Husband's grandmother had diabetes, and not sure at what age it started, maybe in her later years? But that is all we have seen yet in his family.)  Another blood test will be given in a few months. 

• Like 2

I have a friend who is an ELCA Lutheran pastor in a middle sized town in Indiana, where apparently they haven't always taken covid precautions overly stringently.  He's finally trying to bring back in person worship, but it is predicated on continuing low case numbers and low percent positives.  As cases have been declining, people have been being more and more cavalier about masking and social distancing, so his proposal is:  If we have to delay our return to in person worship because you were a dumbass, I will personally come to your house and (masked and socially distanced) read Leviticus loudly to you over a PA system, first in badly pronounced Hebrew, secondly in slightly better koine Greek, and finally in English.  I will also frequent the grocery store, where I will wear a sandwich board and read Leviticus at people whose masks are not covering their noses.  

He is also available to inspect your bathroom for mildew, before you tear down your walls and throw them outside the city.  He feels it's an important part of his churchly ministry.  

• Haha 16

22 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I have a friend who is an ELCA Lutheran pastor in a middle sized town in Indiana, where apparently they haven't always taken covid precautions overly stringently.  He's finally trying to bring back in person worship, but it is predicated on continuing low case numbers and low percent positives.  As cases have been declining, people have been being more and more cavalier about masking and social distancing, so his proposal is:  If we have to delay our return to in person worship because you were a dumbass, I will personally come to your house and (masked and socially distanced) read Leviticus loudly to you over a PA system, first in badly pronounced Hebrew, secondly in slightly better koine Greek, and finally in English.  I will also frequent the grocery store, where I will wear a sandwich board and read Leviticus at people whose masks are not covering their noses.  

He is also available to inspect your bathroom for mildew, before you tear down your walls and throw them outside the city.  He feels it's an important part of his churchly ministry.  

I love this!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Terabith said:

He’s really doing God’s work there, I gotta say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

From BNO : Poland reports 29,978 new coronavirus cases, by far the biggest one-day increase on record

comparing with Worldometer they did have one higher day but it was a big bar in the middle much smaller ones so presumably they have dealt with some kind of data glitch differently.  

• Sad 4

Our governor announced yesterday that vaccines will open to everyone 16+ on March 31st. Then, he announced he was ending the mask mandate the first week of April. I really hope most stores continue to enforce mask wearing. It just seems so stupid to not wait at least another month or two to allow more vaccines first. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, melmichigan said:

My county is now 11th in the nation for covid cases per capita.  Michigan has 8 of the top 20.  Our positivity is now 20.2%  Below is the county graph.  It's taken five weeks to go from 3% to today.769904554_ScreenShot2021-03-25at7_31_52PM.png.cc6dac429721fa0ea85bf5554d68b7d2.png

Are restrictions significantly loosened in MI? I have a friend in MI that is constantly complaining about restrictions, so I assume not.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-26/younger-brazilians-are-dying-from-covid-in-an-alarming-new-shift?fbclid=IwAR119c7XO_qVC8h5K141g0v_SmJ8EbOcPhaHYIKX5kJMP_U7zskvgKQGC0Y

Brum, whose hospital is a two-hour drive from Sao Paulo, says ICUs are also filled with 30-year-olds. He estimates that the age of patients hospitalized with Covid-19 has decreased by 50% compared with 2020.

“The intensive care unit is constantly and uninterruptedly occupied,” he said. Patients in their 30s make up at least half of those beds, and their average time spent in the hospital has tripled from last year. It has come down recently for a a grim reason -- patients are dying more quickly.

Sztajnbok said it’s not unusual now to see people under 40 or even in their 20s without any risk factors needing intubation and life support. Before, he said, patients were mostly over 65. “The first time that happened, we were shocked,” he said. “We were also shocked the second time. Now we are not anymore.”

• Sad 12

https://www.francebleu.fr/amp/infos/sante-sciences/au-lycee-delacroix-de-drancy-20-eleves-ont-perdu-leur-parents-du-covid-l-etablissement-reste-ouvert-1616775074?__twitter_impression=true

from Google Translate 

“In this letter, the teachers denounce an "alarming health situation". Since the start of the school year on March 1, two positive cases and one contact case have been identified among the management team, 54 positive students without counting the new cases each day, about twenty positive teachers, 48 classes with at least one student case contact.

About twenty parents of students who died from Covid

Figures "indicative of serious and imminent danger", they write. Above all, they recall that in this establishment which has nearly 2,000 students, twenty young people have already lost their father or mother, since the start of the epidemic a year ago. "We were given this number at the last board meeting in December," says Fabrice Morel, teacher and representative of SNES-FSU 93, contacted by France Bleu Paris. "Myself, I have two students who have lost their father". Just this week he learned that at least one parent was in critical condition.”

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 6

So the case 0 in QLDs brother has tested negative but positive for antibodies and he’s believed to be the link between the doctor a couple of weeks ago and the most recent case.  Hopefully he didn’t spread it anywhere else but it’s nice they could track it down.  The party was also smaller than first thought possibly with only six guests.  

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Starr said:

I guess I'm tired. But does that mean the B1.351 may increase your chances of getting the virus even if you are vaccinated ?

All of the current vaccines seems to be considerably less effective against the SA variant compared to the original strain or even the UK variant. I think J&J was around 50% and Novavax is 60% against the SA variant, and AstraZeneca does not seem to protect at all (like 10% efficacy). I haven't seen specific numbers for Pfizer or Moderna.

In their South African trial, Novavax found no difference in the placebo group between those who'd already had covid (the original strain) and those who hadn't — prior infection with the original strain did not seem to provide immunity. So at least Novavax and J&J (and most likely Pfizer & Moderna) provide some protection against the SA variant, while prior infection does not.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starr said:

I guess I'm tired. But does that mean the B1.351 may increase your chances of getting the virus even if you are vaccinated ?

Yeah unfortunately.  Also although the trial is not about other variants, one that turned up on the Phillipines had the same weird modification that makes the South African one a risk.

I believe that the mRNA vaccines can be modified more easily than older style vaccines to protect against new mutations but of course that depends on being able to produce and roll out more vaccine as well which is logistically difficult for now.

• Thanks 1

Wondering if for kids, maybe 1 dose of Pfizer or Moderna, rather than 2, will be enough. Not sure if they are testing for that particularly, but I'd think as they test they'd come across the info as to if it would work? If it is nearly 90% or so for adults, maybe kids will have a stronger immune reaction yet and it would be sufficient. And easier on them than 2 doses. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Wondering if for kids, maybe 1 dose of Pfizer or Moderna, rather than 2, will be enough. Not sure if they are testing for that particularly, but I'd think as they test they'd come across the info as to if it would work? If it is nearly 90% or so for adults, maybe kids will have a stronger immune reaction yet and it would be sufficient. And easier on them than 2 doses. 

The Pfizer adolescent trial has already been unblinded. They began vaccinating those that got the placebo late last month.  Results are due in another month or so.  They received two doses to my knowledge.  That may change for the younger group.  I know Moderna is trialing doses, so I'm guessing Pfizer would do the same, but if you think about it, even the flu shot needs two doses the first time you get it.  Add the fact that they are already trialing the second dose of J&J and I think most will be two doses in the long run with follow-up boosters, just like the flu vaccine.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-362354/v1

pre print paper regarding the Astra Zeneca clotting thing.  I haven’t had a chance to read it yet.  Will also post to the vaccine thread if I can find it.

I misread this as a AZ clothing thing.  I had to look at the link to realize that it wasn't about fabric at all! 

• Haha 4

8 cases for QLD.  1 had visited an aged care home but the residents had received the first dose of vaccine . Hoping for some kind of combination to mean that either he wasn’t infectious or the vaccine was early enough to be effective enough to stop it spreading.

• Sad 6

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

8 cases for QLD.  1 had visited an aged care home but the residents had received the first dose of vaccine . Hoping for some kind of combination to mean that either he wasn’t infectious or the vaccine was early enough to be effective enough to stop it spreading.

Wait. Aged care home residents have only received 1 dose of vaccine? Were they not first priority? Just seems odd.

Edited by popmom

8 minutes ago, popmom said:

Wait. Aged care home residents have only received 1 dose of vaccine? Were they not first priority? Just seems odd.

I’m in Australia we only started vaccination about a month ago.  Ostensibly because we didn’t have the urgency of everywhere else and we could wait for more data - in reality probably because we still weren’t organised.  There’s been a lot of criticism of the rollout.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m in Australia we only started vaccination about a month ago.  Ostensibly because we didn’t have the urgency of everywhere else and we could wait for more data - in reality probably because we still weren’t organised.  There’s been a lot of criticism of the rollout.  

Well, that did cross my mind—that y’all had it under control so not the same urgency as we have had here. Hoping that first dose does its job. 

• Like 1

Can't remember if posted here or another thread, but cases seem to be skewing lower, and more concerning, the hospitalized are getting younger as well. In my own county in Florida under 45 make up 1/3 of those hospitalized, and I'm seeing similar reports in Europe, South America, etc. Doctors are saying they are seeing younger, healthier people get very sick - possibly linked to the variants.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/25/covid-19-now-killing-younger-people-french-doctor-tells-euronews

• Sad 4

12 hours ago, popmom said:

Well, that did cross my mind—that y’all had it under control so not the same urgency as we have had here. Hoping that first dose does its job. 

There’s a frantic vaccination campaign going on in Queensland to get all the health care workers vaccinated right now.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Can't remember if posted here or another thread, but cases seem to be skewing lower, and more concerning, the hospitalized are getting younger as well. In my own county in Florida under 45 make up 1/3 of those hospitalized, and I'm seeing similar reports in Europe, South America, etc. Doctors are saying they are seeing younger, healthier people get very sick - possibly linked to the variants.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/25/covid-19-now-killing-younger-people-french-doctor-tells-euronews

I have been seeing reports from Brazil that this is the case with P1.  I did wonder if part of it is it seems like more younger people but actually there’s just more spread over all and only the younger people are getting hospitalised because the oldies are vaccinated - but I don’t think Brazil’s vaccination program is that far along so that probably won’t explain it.