Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

3 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I am totally not a stats/research person, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but --

Couldn't they compensate for that in some way? For example, I signed up with VSafe on the same day I got my first vaccine. I just thought it would be neat to contribute to the data. It seems like people who do/did that are less likely to have signed up just to complain. So they could compare those responses to the responses of people who signed up several days after a vaccine?

Oh, yes, if they could sort out the people who registered immediately after the vaccine, that would be better data. Agreed. 

I don't think there's such a thing as "not a stats person," lol. I'm not really a stats person either, if it comes to that -- I have a PhD in probability, but I haven't actually run studies myself and I'm incredibly rusty on statistical tests. So really pretty much everything I say about this is just logic/qualitative, with occasional understanding of probability and of exponential functions thrown in 😉 . But it's not like I have a detailed understanding of the fancy stuff myself. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wathe said:

WTM peeps who read legalese, please tell me if I'm wrong here.  But I don't think I am.

I don't necessarily read legalese, but I think you'd have to know more about this part:

the health care professional acts in a manner that is consistent with measures taken by the hospital under Ontario Regulation 74/20 (Work Redeployment for Certain Health Service Providers) made under the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, 2020.

That regulation might delineate better how far out of the scope of practice people are expected to stretch. 

I am sorry this is not being talked about more openly--you should have better information if you're expected to vary from your scope of practice. The wording makes me think that someone thought through a lot of scenarios last year, documented them in a proposal in case it was needed, and that proposal was signed into law, but not into effect. Then, this newer thing is making it effective. 

My DH got a survey from his (now former) health system last year asking how far outside his scope of practice he would be willing to go. I think everyone got these. I don't know if the state was asking the system to do this or not, but it was pretty sobering just to see the questions. 

I hope additional guidance arrives soon and is not as scary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I don't necessarily read legalese, but I think you'd have to know more about this part:

That regulation might delineate better how far out of the scope of practice people are expected to stretch. 

I am sorry this is not being talked about more openly--you should have better information if you're expected to vary from your scope of practice. The wording makes me think that someone thought through a lot of scenarios last year, documented them in a proposal in case it was needed, and that proposal was signed into law, but not into effect. Then, this newer thing is making it effective. 

My DH got a survey from his (now former) health system last year asking how far outside his scope of practice he would be willing to go. I think everyone got these. I don't know if the state was asking the system to do this or not, but it was pretty sobering just to see the questions. 

I hope additional guidance arrives soon and is not as scary.

I did look at both of those.

One seems to outline the governments powers to override rules and standards in various different sectors (basically setting themselves up to be able to make the regulation published April 21), and the other activates the ability of healthcare institutions to move workers around between facilities and to ignore work contracts with respect to things like shift times, vacations etc.  Nothing to do with scope of practice, as far as I can tell.

We filled out the how-far -will-you-push-your-scope of practice surveys last spring.

I really do think it's going to come to that for some of us.  Surgeons and anethesiologists are under-used right now (OR's shut down for all but emergency surgery).  I think they are going to find themselves asked to do other work.  I know some are working vaccine clinics - but that's not really the best use of their skills.  OR nursing staff are all over the hospital in alternate assignments already.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, TCB said:

I couldn’t interpret the legal jargon in that order. It doesn’t seem to make it clear how far they will expand someone’s role. When the surge was happening in New Jersey a cardiologist friend of one of our ICU Drs was put in charge of a floor of ventilated patients as there weren’t enough intensivists. And in a city in our state, they quickly trained med/surg nurses to run the continuous dialysis machines that many Covid patients were on. Both of those things are pretty far out from normal practice for those people, and I can’t imagine the stress.

I’m so sorry this is happening. I hope you are managing to get some rest. 

I think that this is exactly where this is going to go. 

• Sad 3

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

In the glass-half-full scenario, it's at least a Very Good Thing that it seems that just one dose of the mRNA vaccines seem to offer the same protection as the one J&J or AZ.  So, not as good as if they got both, but just about as good as an adenovirus vax, and way, way, way better than not getting any.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Anecdotally, when I went for my 2nd shot Thursday, there were not nearly as many people. The way the health department had arranged it was that you were given the appointment for the exact same time of day, same place, exactly 28 days after your first shot to help make it easy to remember. There were email and text reminders.  I could not believe how few people were there compared to my experience for the first shot. I am hoping people just and work conflicts or something and rescheduled. But I have to admit to being worried some folks might be skipping.

Scary. Cases are finally beginning to drop in Michigan, though my county is still wretched for cases based on population size.

• Sad 2

Just now, Matryoshka said:

In the glass-half-full scenario, it's at least a Very Good Thing that it seems that just one dose of the mRNA vaccines seem to offer the same protection as the one J&J or AZ.  So, not as good as if they got both, but just about as good as an adenovirus vax, and way, way, way better than not getting any.

I hope we keep track of all those people and see how long the immunity from one dose lasts and how well it works. 

I'm realizing that it's been quite hard to study the mRNA vaccines after 1 dose so far, because if you do it too early, it doesn't work very well, but there are only 3 weeks between doses! So you have exactly one week in which to measure things, lol. Not super reliable... 

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I hope we keep track of all those people and see how long the immunity from one dose lasts and how well it works. 

I'm realizing that it's been quite hard to study the mRNA vaccines after 1 dose so far, because if you do it too early, it doesn't work very well, but there are only 3 weeks between doses! So you have exactly one week in which to measure things, lol. Not super reliable... 

But they are waiting quite a bit longer between shots in the UK, where they just had that report come out that said one dose of mRNA is as good as one (or two!) AZ shots (I think about 70%?).  

And amazingly, that report was supposed to show that AZ was 'just as good' as the mRNA vaxes.  And likely to reassure people that waiting longer for the 2nd dose is a reasonable strategy to get 1st doses into more people instead.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Second doses are being given at 4 months here (with very limited exceptions).  We'll have a sample size of millions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Matryoshka said:

But they are waiting quite a bit longer between shots in the UK, where they just had that report come out that said one dose of mRNA is as good as one (or two!) AZ shots (I think about 70%?).  

And amazingly, that report was supposed to show that AZ was 'just as good' as the mRNA vaxes.

Yeah, I saw their handwaving. 

Did they separate people after the mRNA shots by how many weeks it had been since the first dose? 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Did they separate people after the mRNA shots by how many weeks it had been since the first dose? 

I think?  they did wait at least 2 weeks after the first shot to measure the mRNA?  Or I'm guessing the numbers wouldn't have been that good?  I thought I saw something like that in the post about it, but I'm too lazy to go hunting right now... 😏

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Do you know what the numbers are looking like? Maybe I'll start a new thread on this. 

I really don't.  Good enough that they aren't even offering HCW a second dose before 4 months.

I've been pretty distracted by this disaster of a third wave.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, wathe said:

We filled out the how-far -will-you-push-your-scope of practice surveys last spring.

I really do think it's going to come to that for some of us.  Surgeons and anethesiologists are under-used right now (OR's shut down for all but emergency surgery).  I think they are going to find themselves asked to do other work.  I know some are working vaccine clinics - but that's not really the best use of their skills.  OR nursing staff are all over the hospital in alternate assignments already.

I hope things shift before it gets that bad. Prayers and hugs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

They should be able to separate by when the first jab was done. The very early Pfizer jabs were on the original schedule, then the government put all vaccination onto the extended schedule.  This will mess with the figures,  as the people who already have had two Pfizer jabs are mostly over 80, like my mum, whereas younger people got either vaccine on the extended schedule.

12 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Perth had one late night community transmission case last night then no more today.  Really hoping this is it.

Me too!  NZ has needed to contact trace, test, and isolate all the people who flew from there in the three days that the bubble was open.  They think the risk to NZ is small. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We have a stay on any international flights into my state for three days.  Flights from India have been stopped from coming into the country at all.  There’s talk of aid being sent - ventilators etc that are not in use.

Disapionting to hear about all the people who have been defying the closed borders and travelling overseas to countries like India then raising a big fuss when they realise they cannot come back so easily. 

Glad they have temperary closed the borders completely

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Two more deaths in Australia after the A-Z vaccine. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/australia-two-nsw-men-die-after-receiving-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine

My MIL was sent to hospital after the nursing home vaccinated everyone yesterday - she's very ill (but she has late stage cancer so it may be chance? They aren't telling us much except that it may be last days.) 

After several quarantine breaches Victoria is planning on building a bespoke quarantine facility. I feel like it shows most of us thought that this sort of thing wouldn't be needed a year ago - I wonder why, why did we think it would be over so soon?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-29/victoria-identfies-melbourne-site-for-quarantine-facility/100103308

Edited by bookbard
add link
  • Sad 11

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/534ffca6-a86a-11eb-b000-cc13f23b4eff?shareToken=d91036446b85bb31feba4a7fad9afd60

The areas of Scotland each comprise roughly 4,200 people -

'More than four million people in Scotland live in areas that are recording virtually no new cases of Covid-19, analysis by The Times has shown.

Five out of six people live in areas where a maximum of two infections were reported during the most recent week for which data is available.'

60 per cent of the adult population also has antibodies, either from previous infections or vaccination.  Travel between different areas of Scotland has just been opened, plus other loosening,  so I have my fingers crossed. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bookbard said:

Two more deaths in Australia after the A-Z vaccine. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/australia-two-nsw-men-die-after-receiving-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine

My MIL was sent to hospital after the nursing home vaccinated everyone yesterday - she's very ill (but she has late stage cancer so it may be chance? They aren't telling us much except that it may be last days.) 

After several quarantine breaches Victoria is planning on building a bespoke quarantine facility. I feel like it shows most of us thought that this sort of thing wouldn't be needed a year ago - I wonder why, why did we think it would be over so soon?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-29/victoria-identfies-melbourne-site-for-quarantine-facility/100103308

😞 

I’m so sorry to hear about your mother in law 

6 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

The count per day of new cases reached 400,000 for the first time.  Undercounted probably because they just cannot now . How much higher can it go ?? 😢

Yes. I heard a very eloquent journalist speaking from India on NPR today. She said that lots of places just don't have tests available, so the official case count may be 20 times the official count. 😞

• Sad 1

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ofid/ofab217/6257145

the longest known Covid case - 8months in a patient with mantle cell lymphoma 

Results

SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR on nasopharyngeal swabs samples remained positive for 268 days. All five performed viral cultures were positive and genomic analysis confirmed a persistent infection with the same strain. Viremia resulted positive in three out of four COVID-19 clinical relapses and cleared each time after remdesivir treatment. T and NK cells dynamic was different in aviremic and viremic samples and no SARS-CoV-2 specific antibodies were detected throughout the disease course.

Conclusions

In our patient, SARS-CoV-2 persisted with proven infectivity for over eight months. Viremia was associated with COVID-19 relapses and remdesivir treatment was effective in viremia clearance and symptoms remission, although it was unable to clear the virus from the upper respiratory airways. During the viremic phase, we observed a low frequency of terminal effector CD8+ T lymphocytes in peripheral blood that are probably recruited in inflammatory tissue for viral eradication. In addition we found a high level of NK cells repertoire perturbation with a relevant involvement during SARS-CoV-2 viremia.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 3

Cautious optimism in Ontario today.  Our case numbers have been falling, and finally our ICU numbers seem to have stopped rising - they fallen by a little itty bit for 2 days in a row (900 two days ago, 889 today).

Edited ;  900 not 9002 - quite different numbers!

Edited by wathe
  • Like 19

I have been in contact with missionaries in the UK who then shared with me a church in Middlesex who is supporting South Asian Concerns “KCH oxygen appeal”. They are helping a hospital in Kachhwa (near Varanasi). The goal is to purchase one oxygen generating machine and 3 ventilators. It’s very easy to donate. I’ll delete if this isn’t allowed. 

eta: after reading @Dreamergalposts, the church I linked is having a time of corporate prayer for India Tues May 5 at 7:45 pm local time. There is a zoom link, but I will just set aside time to pray.

New Life Suwarta Sangat

https://southasianconcern.org/oxygen-for-india/

https://account.stewardship.org.uk/donation/oneoff/covid19_appeal

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

5 new cases of clotting in Australia this week on astra Zeneca including one in a 66 and one in a 71 year old.

The wife of the man who test positive in NSW has now also tested positive.

What were their outcomes? Does awareness seem to be helping with early and better treatment?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KSera said:

What were their outcomes? Does awareness seem to be helping with early and better treatment?

awareness is making the population jittery about being vaccinated. especially as the chance of getting covid are very remote. Many people would prefer the borders to remain closed and have no vaccine .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Of the latest 5 cases one has been mentioned as being in intensive care and one in a stable condition in hospital. The lack of medical status of the other 3 would imply they are doing okay.

A Melissa said it is certainly increasing vaccine hesitancy but I feel like most of it is confined to that particular vaccine. Most people I know would be more than happy to get the Pfizer but we have a very limited supply of that so it is only going to high priority under 50s at the moment.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Plum said:

Does anyone know what % have long covid vs % with complications from other viruses? Is it about the same? 

Complicated question. I am seeing comparative papers, like this one https://royalsociety.org/blog/2021/02/what-do-we-know-about-long-covid/ but not studies. Comparisons are being made more to chronic fatigue and EBV than to influenza and the like in that it seems to be longer in duration and more inflammation related than just post viral damage in the lungs with, say, influenza.

Back to restrictions and mask wearing in Sydney - just before Mother's Day. Last time it was just before Christmas! My BIL was going to visit us from interstate but isn't going to risk it now. I'm hoping this will remind people how quickly things can change around covid. Vaccination is definitely ramping up here, I know a number of people (elderly or medical people) who have been vaccinated with either A-Z or Pfizer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

In the middle of all, we need to remember the good and it comes in the form of ordinary heroes. Here is the story of one such person.

Covid Hero of the Day from Agra: Nina Muniyal feeds 100 patients daily - Lifestyle News (indiatoday.in)

Please pray for India and send your kind thoughts. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing this. That’s a hero. 

• Like 3

The Salem Oregon based The Peoples Church, which sued the state to continue holding packed indoor services w/o masking, is now the epicenter of a Covid outreach that has sickened at least 74 people.

Executive pastor Tom Murray says, “we are concerned about the covid-19 surge in Oregon.” 

Meanwhile, the church plans to continue continue with in-person ceremonies with unmasked congregants packed shoulder to shoulder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/07/oregon-peoples-church-covid-outbreak/

Bill

• Sad 7