Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-japan-theme-parks-reopening-but-people-riding-roller-coasters-cant-scream/6b360aa3-4543-4455-b934-f1b206f60aee

so in Japan supposedly amusement park rides are reopening but no screaming is allowed.  I wonder how that works.

Japanese culture is so tuned to the "communal good" that it probably works pretty well.  Plus, Japanese girls especially already have a cultural norm of covering their mouth with their hand if screaming. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Japanese culture is so tuned to the "communal good" that it probably works pretty well.  Plus, Japanese girls especially already have a cultural norm of covering their mouth with their hand if screaming. 

Yes I did think if it would work anywhere it would work in Japan.  I hope so.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Ohh, the does look promising. And my limited and rusty knowledge of biochemistry makes me hope it would help with the vascular stuff, not just respiratory. 

This stuff is why "get it as soon as possible and get it over with" isn't my plan. I'm firmly in the "hold off as long as possible in hopes of better treatments" camp! 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-japan-theme-parks-reopening-but-people-riding-roller-coasters-cant-scream/6b360aa3-4543-4455-b934-f1b206f60aee

so in Japan supposedly amusement park rides are reopening but no screaming is allowed.  I wonder how that works.

"Scream inside your heart" is going to be my new philosophy for dealing with crazy Facebook posts

• Like 6
  • Haha 13

3 minutes ago, TCB said:

Feeling pretty fed up about the way things are going in the US. It’s starting to feel like watching lemmings walk off a cliff.

While the lemmings yell about their constitutional right to walk off cliffs, or how cliffs aren't real anyway, or that cliffs are everywhere and we just need to learn to live with them. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, TCB said:

Feeling pretty fed up about the way things are going in the US. It’s starting to feel like watching lemmings walk off a cliff.

I learned long ago I can only control my own behavior.

There are a few more I can influence.

That's it.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I learned long ago I can only control my own behavior.

There are a few more I can influence.

That's it.

Yeah I’ve pretty much given up trying to influence anyone else. Just sad that we can’t work together and problem solve this thing while we’re pulling in such different directions.

• Like 2

Re: deaths

I think it'll be next week before we know the new trend. I'm thinking it'll be at least July 14th before we see the effect of July 4th on cases, too.

I am hopeful that kids traveling for college from hard-hit states will actually bring a positive masking impact to states who are anti-mask. DD's college area is in exponential case increase now, but just announced mandatory masking. So, in just over a month when (if) the college kids (are allowed to) show up, I hope cases will have leveled off. And that the kids coming in bring in an attitude of, "wear a mask so I can stay here & study in person please!"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Sounds prudent. I think NY had that already. 

Frankly, the Northeastern states are the only states I've been even moderately happy with in terms of their policies. When I look at what they are doing, I don't feel like shouting "We already KNOW this is a bad idea!" There are probably other states who ARE being sensible, but most I've been reading about have felt like a slow motion disaster. 

I am a Connecticut Yankee in the South. (I've now lived here longer than anywhere else, but very much culturally Yankee in the Colin Woodard sense.) It's like this with a lot of stuff, just more obvious when you have a site like Worldometers to illustrate this instance.

22 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Yeah, I can't change anyone else's behavior, which actually just means I have a heavier burden and harder decisions to make. If we could handle this as a society, I'd feel a lot safer. 

You hit the nail on the head! This is how I feel too!

1 hour ago, TCB said:

Only also it’s like drunk drivers because it affects those who aren’t walking off cliffs more like drunk driving affects others

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Does anyone know what the deal is with air conditioning?  Does it help or does it hurt?   I remember the restaurant that they attributed spread to the AC system, but then I see people talking about AC being a benefit when schools open.  Which is it?  Or is the AC in schools just to make masks more comfortable?  

I've also seen fans recommended as something to help with the virus, so what's the deal there?

3 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with air conditioning?  Does it help or does it hurt?   I remember the restaurant that they attributed spread to the AC system, but then I see people talking about AC being a benefit when schools open.  Which is it?  Or is the AC in schools just to make masks more comfortable?  

I've also seen fans recommended as something to help with the virus, so what's the deal there?

I think it hurts. I saw an article (but unfortunately can’t remember where) talking about how a/c helps to aerosolize droplets.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I think people are thinking that the AC will make masks more comfortable?  Everything else I've seen says that AC is not good for virus spread, and may further aerosolize it...  unless there's been some new data on this I haven't seen...

Almost none of our schools here have AC, which is now seeming like a good thing...  I think a lot of the fancy new university buildings do, though...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm curious about fans... my gym is opening (I'm not going back yet!) but they're saying they're keeping all the fans off... but that means they at least have to have AC on?  That seems backward???

Just now, Matryoshka said:

I'm curious about fans... my gym is opening (I'm not going back yet!) but they're saying they're keeping all the fans off... but that means they at least have to have AC on?  That seems backward???

I've seen fans suggested as something with open doors to circulate with outdoor air.  I think?   Not completely sure there either.  

I'm trying to come up with the best plan I can but there are so many factors involved.  

Just now, Where's Toto? said:

I've seen fans suggested as something with open doors to circulate with outdoor air.  I think?   Not completely sure there either.  

I'm trying to come up with the best plan I can but there are so many factors involved.  

That does seem to be a good idea.  I've heard that just having a window open can help.

• Like 1

Dry air is worse, and air blowing from an infected person to a non infected person is bad. But, air not circulating at all is also bad, as the levels will build up and build up. And if you are the non infected person, having a fan blowing away from you is good, to keep the virus away. Of course, if you are the infected person, having a fan blowing away from you is bad, as it is spreading the virus further. 

The best answer is open windows with everyone sitting by one. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Articles I have seen on A/C seem to indicate it may make conditions for viral transmission even worse than normal indoors (based in part on Tuberculosis knowledge, and a few reviews of situations in PRC, Hong Kong, and somewhere else).  

If a fan is the type that can create a rapid air exchange of relatively fresh  outside air replacing inside air — and particularly if old air is sucked out upwards through an attic fan and air exchange vent rather than wafting virus from one person towards another, I would think that might help somewhat, similar to being actually out of doors. Though UV light aspect would mostly not apply indoors even if air exchange could be similar to outdoors. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I think it hurts. I saw an article (but unfortunately can’t remember where) talking about how a/c helps to aerosolize droplets.  

Norman Swan yesterday on the podcast was saying open windows with fans will help because you can get air exchange with the outside but I don’t think air conditioning helps.  The advice is to avoid sitting near the air con outlets if you’re in an air conditioned building.  

• Like 3

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN24B2RM?__twitter_impression=true

good roundup of some science.

There does seem to be a link between countries that have had the tuberculosis vaccine and lower death rates.  Dexamethasone seems to help.  There are several different forms of Covid disease Caused by different immune responses not just “severe” and mild” and something called granulocytes (a type of white blood cell) seems to be associate with more severe cases.  Dormitory screening would have to happen every three days to be effective.  And a summary of the study on long term outcomes that we’ve already talked about here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

antibodies review

@Ausmumof3 or anyone else interested—IMO (and from POV of having started in immunology study direction before change of course) this is another good video to watch.  I think clear enough not to need to go back to earlier ones in order to understand it:

https://youtu.be/zvfSzl3uEAA

https://youtu.be/zvfSzl3uEAA

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

@EmseB

https://apnews.com/5838e8c050a9312ab4077c42de840aa3

“TOKYO (AP) — Dozens of U.S. Marines at two bases on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa have been infected with the coronavirus in what is feared to be a massive outbreak, Okinawa’s governor said Saturday, demanding an adequate explanation from the U.S. military.

Gov. Denny Tamaki said he could say only that a “few dozen” cases had been found recently because the U.S. military asked that the exact figure not be released. The outbreaks occurred at Marine Corps Air Station Futenma, which is at the center of a relocation dispute, and Camp Hansen, Tamaki said.

Local media, citing unnamed sources, said about 60 people had been infected.

“Okinawans are shocked by what we were told (by the U.S. military),” Tamaki told a news conference. “We now have strong doubts that the U.S. military has taken adequate disease prevention measures.” 

Tamaki demanded transparency in the latest development and said he planned to request talks between the U.S. military and Okinawan officials. He said Okinawan officials also asked the Japanese government to demand that the U.S. provide details including the number of cases, seal off Futenma and Camp Hansen, and step up preventive measures on base.

Okinawan officials made similar requests to the U.S. military on Friday in order to address local residents’ concerns, Tamaki said. 

The Marines said in a statement Friday that the troops were taking additional protective measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus and were restricting off-base activities. The statement said measures are “to protect our forces, our families, and the local community,” without providing details on the infections.”

• Sad 5

42 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@EmseB

https://apnews.com/5838e8c050a9312ab4077c42de840aa3

“TOKYO (AP) — Dozens of U.S. Marines at two bases on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa have been infected with the coronavirus in what is feared to be a massive outbreak, Okinawa’s governor said Saturday, demanding an adequate explanation from the U.S. military.

Gov. Denny Tamaki said he could say only that a “few dozen” cases had been found recently because the U.S. military asked that the exact figure not be released. The outbreaks occurred at Marine Corps Air Station Futenma, which is at the center of a relocation dispute, and Camp Hansen, Tamaki said.

Local media, citing unnamed sources, said about 60 people had been infected.

“Okinawans are shocked by what we were told (by the U.S. military),” Tamaki told a news conference. “We now have strong doubts that the U.S. military has taken adequate disease prevention measures.” 

Tamaki demanded transparency in the latest development and said he planned to request talks between the U.S. military and Okinawan officials. He said Okinawan officials also asked the Japanese government to demand that the U.S. provide details including the number of cases, seal off Futenma and Camp Hansen, and step up preventive measures on base.

Okinawan officials made similar requests to the U.S. military on Friday in order to address local residents’ concerns, Tamaki said. 

The Marines said in a statement Friday that the troops were taking additional protective measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus and were restricting off-base activities. The statement said measures are “to protect our forces, our families, and the local community,” without providing details on the infections.”

I only know a few people in Oki, but the general vibe I get is that things on the island (not just bases) are kind of lax and precautions are general voluntary. I haven't read up on it at all, but it was kind of like cases seem low for lack of testing.

28 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

30 year old dies after attending COVID party. 

https://apple.news/Ae8zxeRGURHiCyCchtnOOJA

I am getting all confused on who said what and where but I remember someone saying that COVID parties were a hoax. Doesn’t seem like a hoax to me. 

I posted this article about the reporting of them.

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-parties-are-not-a-thing/

32 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

30 year old dies after attending COVID party. 

https://apple.news/Ae8zxeRGURHiCyCchtnOOJA

I am getting all confused on who said what and where but I remember someone saying that COVID parties were a hoax. Doesn’t seem like a hoax to me. 

The film on this is a helpful quick round up of various places:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/30-year-man-dies-attending-covid-party-thinking/story?id=71731414

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I posted this article about the reporting of them.

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-parties-are-not-a-thing/

Here's the thing.  If you're in a place with cases on the rise, or even holding steady in a certain # of the population, having any kind of large gathering without masks and distancing is going to become a "Covid party".  Because as was posted in another Covid thread:

22 minutes ago, kokotg said:

have people seen Georgia tech's new event planning tool? https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu ....in my county, there's a greater than 99% chance that a gathering of 500 people will have at least 1 positive person....so it's  likely that EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY will start the year with covid cases. 

and 

8 minutes ago, kokotg said:

"Only" 56% here for 25 people. That's a fairly average class size; my math teacher husband just calculated that that means there's a 1.6% chance that NO ONE in any of his 5 classes will be positive. So there's only a 98.4% chance that he and every one of his students will be exposed every day. 

So... if you get together at a party with a bunch of people during a Covid outbreak ... it has every potential to become a 'Covid party'.

You heard about the mom who sent her dd16 who had recovered from cancer to a party at their church?  She died.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Here's the thing.  If you're in a place with cases on the rise, or even holding steady in a certain # of the population, having any kind of large gathering without masks and distancing is going to become a "Covid party".  Because as was posted in another Covid thread:

and 

So... if you get together at a party with a bunch of people during a Covid outbreak ... it has every potential to become a 'Covid party'.

You heard about the mom who sent her dd16 who had recovered from cancer to a party at their church?  She died.

And I guess classes in schools also have potential to be Covid parties. 

• Sad 3