Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

If my math is correct approximately 5% of the U.S. population has tested positive. Does anyone have any idea what percentage of the population do scientists speculate have been infected but not tested--either asymptomatic or unable to get a test. I try to keep up with our progress toward herd immunity.

I can't find anything recent.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the Houston study.

Edited by popmom

On 12/11/2020 at 6:28 PM, lewelma said:

Three sleeps left until my older ds is allowed to leave quarantine in an Auckland hotel!  I can't wait to see him! Way back in the beginning of this thread I was trying so desperately to get him back before all the airports closed in March. This time will take 15 days rather than 24 hours for him to travel here.

He got his second negative covid test yesterday (day 12) which means the will release him tomorrow!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, popmom said:

If my math is correct approximately 5% of the U.S. population has tested positive. Does anyone have any idea what percentage of the population do scientists speculate have been infected but not tested--either asymptomatic or unable to get a test. I try to keep up with our progress toward herd immunity.

I can't find anything recent.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the Houston study.

Given that people seem able to be reinfected after several months I don't think herd immunity (outside of a vaccine) is possible. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

21 hours ago, popmom said:

Does reinfection usually result in milder symptoms? 

It’s not consistent.  Some people do, some people have more severe.  One person died after reinfection but I think they had some serious other medical stuff going on.

Theres a tracker here if you’re interested.  There are likely more cases than this but they only record the ones where it’s verified via genomic testing to rule out a long shedding period.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/covid-19-reinfection-tracker/

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I saw this on WSJ that breaks down visually how many people have had Covid by state. The map towards the bottom would need to be toggled to cumulative. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-many-people-have-had-covid-19-across-the-u-s-11607623862?mod=e2fb&fbclid=IwAR1S4pr5yg1p7YmT0N4PocblRCa5868pS8J73LvbPNlApbcdS8mJjSjBB_k

Edited by calbear

On 12/12/2020 at 8:00 PM, vonfirmath said:

The scary thing is I'm not sure if we're going to get herd immunity from the vaccine. I'm hoping.

That is my thought as well. It is possible that one vaccine or type of vaccine will prevent reinfection better than others but it may be years before we know that -- if we keep good enough records. 

On 12/12/2020 at 7:33 PM, popmom said:

Does reinfection usually result in milder symptoms? 

In some but not in others. I remember reading of several deaths from reinfection but this was from non-genome-analyzed cases in China & other countries. The lying-dormant-then-showing-back-up kind troubles me, as well. That sometimes results in serious illness & death, too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here is Mark Hyman, MD, interviewing Italian MD/PhD Paolo Tordiglione about using ozone-oxygen to treat Covid patients in Italy. It gives a good, general overview of the benefits and results they're seeing there.

Tordiglione, an anesthesiologist, has studied ozone extensively and uses it in his practice for a number of issues, including preventing and treating infections in neurosurgery. In Italy, he's involved in the case studies and RCTs using ozone to treat Covid. Some of these are ongoing but they are seeing very good results which occur quickly without side effects.

Technically, the gas mixture is not 100% ozone but about 95-99% oxygen and then the remainder is ozone, a small percentage. Ozone is a very unstable molecule that breaks down quickly into oxygen. The oxygen-ozone gas is not breathed in. A small amount of a patient's blood is removed, the oxygen-ozone mixture is bubbled into the blood and then it is put back in the patient. They are doing this twice a day for seven days to treat Covid patients who opt to be treated this way. For some, they have given the treatment as a last resort and those patients have recovered. It is a safe, simple, relatively painless procedure.

https://drhyman.com/blog/2020/12/09/podcast-ep148/

You can get this done in the US by MDs who offer it. You have to know who they are, though. You would get this done in the MD's office and then go home and recover. If you are admitted into a hospital, you will not be able to get it done there.

Edited by BeachGal
spelling
  • Like 1

The report into hotel quarantine here concluded that it was likely poor ventilation in hotels that caused the spread.  There is some idea of using tech rather than people to do the security guards in the corridors.  Not sure exactly what that means - could be cameras maybe.  China uses some kind of door alarm I think which sounds a bit dystopian but it kinda feels like anything is possible or likely.  We now have QR Code check in to any retail establishment.  That in itself seems helpful at the contact tracing end but probably more worrying from a privacy concern than the covid safe app which didn’t really work but seemed more secure to me.  

International students are being brought in through Darwin and doing a 14 day quarantine.  The first batch of 93 today.  

The situation sounds quite bad in Delhi

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-15/inside-the-next-wave-of-covid-19-hitting-india/12980332

“Even as coronavirus infections begin to ease in Delhi, doctors are warning that this latest wave of COVID-19 in the city has been far deadlier than before and young people have been among the worst hit.

Dr Farah Husain — who leads an ICU in Delhi's largest coronavirus hospital, LNJP — said the city's intensive care units are at capacity or close to it because patients are experiencing symptoms more severe than what was seen in previous waves.

It meant patients were occupying beds for longer.

• Sad 1

https://github.com/emmahodcroft/cluster_scripts/blob/master/README.md

Info on the different strains in circulation.  The author has been working on it for a while but published a draft version after the reports of the “new” strain in the UK

have to admit this one sounds slightly worrying

• “May be associated with adaptation to rodents and mustelids: N501T in ferrets (Richard et al. Nature Comm.); N501Y in mice (Gu et al. Science)
    • Some have speculated of risk of a persistent reservoir in wild rodents/mustelids”
  • Thanks 1

And some charts showing frequency of the different strains 

https://github.com/emmahodcroft/cluster_scripts/blob/master/country_overview.md

The bright pink one is the new UK strain.  I note that it has also been detected in Australia and also that our recent outbreak was linked to cases in the UK so I’m assuming this was this new strain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://github.com/emmahodcroft/cluster_scripts/blob/master/README.md

Info on the different strains in circulation.  The author has been working on it for a while but published a draft version after the reports of the “new” strain in the UK

have to admit this one sounds slightly worrying

• “May be associated with adaptation to rodents and mustelids: N501T in ferrets (Richard et al. Nature Comm.); N501Y in mice (Gu et al. Science)
    • Some have speculated of risk of a persistent reservoir in wild rodents/mustelids”

To be honest, I was not surprised when I read that mink had contracted Covid-19.   Ferrets can also contract influenza and pass it on to humans, and humans can pass flu on to ferrets.   It is more likely for flu to pass from human to ferret, though.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 1:48 AM, Laura Corin said:

Interesting study on levels of asymptomatic Covid in the first wave. It's worth reading to the end,  as the beginning is less enlightening 

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid-asymptomatic-classic-symptoms?utm_source=App

So is it accurate what is stated in the article that you can't get a COVID test in the U.K. without having at least one of the "triad" of symptoms?

Ok just reread the article and yes it appears that is the case. Wow. Just wow. That is unfortunate--and dangerous. My dd got a test based on symptoms of nausea and fatigue only--with good reason. None of her symptoms fit the "triad" but her pediatrician knew that COVID was presenting differently in teens/young adults. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

Just heard that NZ has purchased a portfolio of 4 vaccines. Around 15 million doses for 5 million NZ citizens/residents, which allows for one or two of the vaccines to not get through approval, and allows for 2 shots for the 3 vaccines that require it, and allows NZ to provide vaccines to 1.5 million of our Pacific Island neighbors. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Just heard that NZ has purchased a portfolio of 4 vaccines. Around 15 million doses for 5 million NZ citizens/residents, which allows for one or two of the vaccines to not get through approval, and allows for 2 shots for the 3 vaccines that require it, and allows NZ to provide vaccines to 1.5 million of our Pacific Island neighbors. 

I saw this in the news earlier today. Very good news.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, popmom said:

So is it accurate what is stated in the article that you can't get a COVID test in the U.K. without having at least one of the "triad" of symptoms?

Ok just reread the article and yes it appears that is the case. Wow. Just wow. That is unfortunate--and dangerous. My dd got a test based on symptoms of nausea and fatigue only--with good reason. None of her symptoms fit the "triad" but her pediatrician knew that COVID was presenting differently in teens/young adults. 

It's true, except where special arrangements are set up, for example for universities.  In practice,  however,  one just tells the person on the phone that one has one of those symptoms and one is given an appointment.  There is no screening on arrival.  My daughter has taken tests several times as a precaution. 

• Like 2

And...Florida's governor, who I can't describe how much I dislike, is now publicly suggesting people get just one dose of vaccine, not the two required. Even though that's only about 50 something percent effective. He basically implied Phizer is saying two doses to make more money or something. ARGH!!!!!

Also, our rates have not budged really, which I don't believe. I don't trust anything he's in charge of. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Florida's governor, who I can't describe how much I dislike, is now publicly suggesting people get just one dose of vaccine, not the two required. Even though that's only about 50 something percent effective. He basically implied Phizer is saying two doses to make more money or something.

Whoa.  That is .....not good.

Latest data from the university where I work.  They tested 5,000 asymptomatic students before sending them home and had zero positives (lateral flow tests).  There is currently one active Covid case amongst students and staff.  There have been no new cases detected in the town in the past week (testing is usually PCR).

There have been 500 new cases in the county of 370,000 people this week, but all at the other end; for historical reasons, the two ends of the county operate as relatively separate societies, not often sharing shops/facilities.  Our end of the county is marked on the public health map as 'virus suppressed'.  The seven day test positivity rate for the whole county is 6%.

Other parts of the UK are not doing nearly so well

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 12

This may not be the right thread for this but for the first time in 30+ years as a nurse, I feel almost undone by this disease and our response. I find myself close to tears, and in tears, almost every day. I can hardly bear to go out to the store because I see older, heavier people there, and I feel fearful for them, and can hardly stop imagining them on a vent in our unit. I can also hardly bear to go to the store and see the unmasked people there. I saw a woman there today with a sweatshirt with Jesus on it, no mask on, and I had to walk away to stop myself from saying how interesting it was to see her wear a shirt with Jesus on it, but be so unmoved by her fellow human beings plight that she can’t even wear a mask. I’m a Christian. So many Christians in this country have been such a disappointment.

Sorry to vent here. So few places in real life to do so. I hope it ends soon!

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 31

4 minutes ago, TCB said:

This may not be the right thread for this but for the first time in 30+ years as a nurse, I feel almost undone by this disease and our response. I find myself close to tears, and in tears, almost every day. I can hardly bear to go out to the store because I see older, heavier people there, and I feel fearful for them, and can hardly stop imagining them on a vent in our unit. I can also hardly bear to go to the store and see the unmasked people there. I saw a woman there today with a sweatshirt with Jesus on it, no mask on, and I had to walk away to stop myself from saying how interesting it was to see her wear a shirt with Jesus on it, but be so unmoved by her fellow human beings plight that she can’t even wear a mask. I’m a Christian. So many Christians in this country have been such a disappointment.

I'm so sorry, TCB. I'm praying specifically for you today. This is very hard.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TCB said:

I'm so sorry TCB. 

• Like 3

Can we discuss this? What, if any, conclusions can be drawn from the low, low rates of flu so far.

My first thought is that we would (((like))) to think we as citizens can just do all the right things and this pandemic could be controlled--you know if everyone would just do their part (masking, social distancing, limiting gatherings, etc) But I think this map says otherwise.

I'm am in no way suggesting we should stop doing all the things that we are doing because clearly it is WORKING--for flu AND covid--just that maybe we can stop the politicizing, judging, blaming, etc. It will never happen, but one can hope.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TCB said:

thank you for the work that you do. you are a hero

Hugs

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TCB said:

I’m so sorry 😢.

Is there access to counseling at all of you need it?  Or health workers support groups of something.  I feel like there’s going to be many health care workers feeling like this over the next year or two.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, popmom said:

Can we discuss this? What, if any, conclusions can be drawn from the low, low rates of flu so far.

My first thought is that we would (((like))) to think we as citizens can just do all the right things and this pandemic could be controlled--you know if everyone would just do their part (masking, social distancing, limiting gatherings, etc) But I think this map says otherwise.

I'm am in no way suggesting we should stop doing all the things that we are doing because clearly it is WORKING--for flu AND covid--just that maybe we can stop the politicizing, judging, blaming, etc. It will never happen, but one can hope.

For one thing apparently the flu tends to migrate back and forward between hemispheres means that the covid restrictions that almost wiped out flu in the Southern Hemisphere will reduce then number of “seedings” if you like of flu on the northern hemisphere so it will take off slower.  Also that enough social distancing etc is happening to reduce flu transmission.  Which makes me assume that if social distancing is enough to almost knock down flu but not COVID then covid is probably more transmissible and durable than flu.  I have heard that said where they said flu is a kind of wimpy virus and only lasts a short time on surfaces etc.  This also makes me think that if the social distancing is doing something the COVID epidemic would be absolutely horrendous without it. 

I do agree that shifting the messaging from judging shaming and blaming regarding mask wearing and social distancing to one of encouragement and helping people to figure out how to make it work would be better.  I don’t know how you fight the conspiracies though.

• Like 12

I had to shop in store today.  The shops were crazily busy and there were maybe two people masked.  Our of four conversations I overheard/participated in two were all about how COVID is a conspiracy.  Specifically that coronavirus has been around since world war 2 and this is the 3rd wave and that hopefully we get rid of it next time.  Also that the person can’t mask because of asthma.  Secondly that the vaccine is suspicious and they are microchipping people and using cameras to track them and it’s all just a distraction from whatever else they’re doing.  Comments etc on the news sites are becoming ridiculously conspiracy theory driven.

All that to say if covid comes over the border or out or quarantine again we are likely in trouble.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 9