Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Not sure about source reliability but a pregnant woman in Singapore has given birth to a baby with antibodies to COVID19 after contracting it during pregnancy.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/infected-after-holiday-to-europe-pregnant-mum-gives-birth-to-baby-with-covid-19-antibodies

Is that how immunity normally gets passed on?  I know it can be shared through breastmilk and that with certain sheep sicknesses vaccinating in the weeks before birth gives the lambs some immunity so I’m guessing it’s the same for people?

Another Vitamin D article.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/12/3642

Vitamin D Insufficiency May Account for Almost Nine of Ten COVID-19 Deaths: Time to Act. Comment on: “Vitamin D Deficiency and Outcome of COVID-19 Patients”. 

Evidence from observational studies is accumulating, suggesting that the majority of deaths due to SARS-CoV-2 infections are statistically attributable to vitamin D insufficiency and could potentially be prevented by vitamin D supplementation. Given the dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic, rational vitamin D supplementation whose safety has been proven in an extensive body of research should be promoted and initiated to limit the toll of the pandemic even before the final proof of efficacy in preventing COVID-19 deaths by randomized trials.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Another Vitamin D article.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/12/3642

Vitamin D Insufficiency May Account for Almost Nine of Ten COVID-19 Deaths: Time to Act. Comment on: “Vitamin D Deficiency and Outcome of COVID-19 Patients”. 

Evidence from observational studies is accumulating, suggesting that the majority of deaths due to SARS-CoV-2 infections are statistically attributable to vitamin D insufficiency and could potentially be prevented by vitamin D supplementation. Given the dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic, rational vitamin D supplementation whose safety has been proven in an extensive body of research should be promoted and initiated to limit the toll of the pandemic even before the final proof of efficacy in preventing COVID-19 deaths by randomized trials.

Does it state within the article what good levels of Vit D are or do you know? I had mine checked and was told that at 65 (whatever the unit of measure was) it's very good, but I can't find any sources that tell me the range of acceptable Vit. D in the body. All I find is how much is useful to take daily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wilrunner3 said:

Does it state within the article what good levels of Vit D are or do you know? I had mine checked and was told that at 65 (whatever the unit of measure was) it's very good, but I can't find any sources that tell me the range of acceptable Vit. D in the body. All I find is how much is useful to take daily.

Great question. My guess is what's considered normal range in the US might be lower than in Germany. 

3 hours ago, Wilrunner3 said:

Grassroots Health, a nonprofit that studies Vitamin D, recommends above 40-60 ng/ml.

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/vitamin-d-supplements-reduce-risk-influenza-covid-19-infection-death/

More articles here:

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/blog-category/coronavirus/

Anyone interested can order a diy blood spot test from them to test your level of vitamin D at home. Our family uses their test. You buy it online, they send you the kit, you poke your finger and place drops of blood on a spot card, then mail it back. They also ask that you fill out a longish questionnaire online about health, sun exposure and supplements. It takes awhile to get results, 2-3 weeks, but is a way to avoid going in to a lab.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wilrunner3 said:

I do best between 80 and 100. 100 is the upper level, I believe. 

• Like 2

Of 7,389 samples of blood donated to the Red Cross from mid-December to mid-January, 106 were reactive by pan Ig for SARS-CoV-2-antibodies. All 9 states in the study had positive samples. 

So Covid was in the US in December, which I think many of us already knew. 

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa1785/6012472

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Acadie said:

Of 7,389 samples of blood donated to the Red Cross from mid-December to mid-January, 106 were reactive by pan Ig for SARS-CoV-2-antibodies. All 9 states in the study had positive samples. 

So Covid was in the US in December, which I think many of us already knew. 

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa1785/6012472

Waiting for someone to say November,  because that's when I think we had it.

At least one hospital in northern Ohio has borrowed a refrigerated truck, because they don't have space for all the patients who have died from Covid. 

I wish public health officials would adopt this Akron nurse's framing of where we are in the pandemic--

“We’re no longer the front lines,” she said. “We’re the last line of defense. The front line now is the community.”

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/11/ohio-hospitals-showing-signs-of-coronavirus-overwhelm-borrowing-refrigerated-trucks-and-ventilators.html

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

On 11/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, Pen said:

I-MASK+ protocol update based on MATH+ is available...

Besides the Idea of indicating use of mask, the I afaik is for Ivermectin.

bumping my own post as I think it’s important 

as is Vitamin D extremely important imo (I think Marik tends to be low on D suggestions, but that may relate to latitude he’s used to)

excellent DrBeen interview with Dr Marik recently about I MASK. And another follow up explanation of Ivermectin and how it can help at several stages 

Dr Been has had several episodes devoted to Ivermectin in course of Pandemic 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Acadie said:

Great question. My guess is what's considered normal range in the US might be lower than in Germany. 

What is the range in Germany?

21 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Grassroots Health, a nonprofit that studies Vitamin D, recommends above 40-60 ng/ml.

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/vitamin-d-supplements-reduce-risk-influenza-covid-19-infection-death/

More articles here:

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/blog-category/coronavirus/

Anyone interested can order a diy blood spot test from them to test your level of vitamin D at home. Our family uses their test. You buy it online, they send you the kit, you poke your finger and place drops of blood on a spot card, then mail it back. They also ask that you fill out a longish questionnaire online about health, sun exposure and supplements. It takes awhile to get results, 2-3 weeks, but is a way to avoid going in to a lab.

Thank you. At 65, then, I have good levels. I'll need to confirm the measurement levels are the same.

20 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I do best between 80 and 100. 100 is the upper level, I believe. 

Thank you. Good to know the upper limits. I wonder if continuing to take Vit. D will continue to raise my numbers. I'm going to guess it will keep them about the same since I don't go outside as much in the winter.

• Like 2

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-03/mega-dose-of-vitamin-c-treats-sepsis-florey-institute-austin/12939202

A critically ill man in australia who had Covid and sepsis recovered after a megadose of vitamin C.  Obviously only a single anecdote but they are following it up with a trial.

“Professor Bellomo said after the patient had the megadose of vitamin C, the changes were "'remarkable".

"In a short period of time, we saw improved regulation of blood pressure, arterial blood oxygen levels and kidney function," he said.

His temperature also improved.

"The patient was able to be taken off machine ventilation 12 days after starting sodium ascorbate treatment and discharged from hospital without any complications 22 days later," he said.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wilrunner3 said:

What is the range in Germany?

Thank you. At 65, then, I have good levels. I'll need to confirm the measurement levels are the same.

Thank you. Good to know the upper limits. I wonder if continuing to take Vit. D will continue to raise my numbers. I'm going to guess it will keep them about the same since I don't go outside as much in the winter.

Europe normally uses different scale/units

you need to know whether you got a test with results in ng/mL or nmols/L (or something else).

If you use an ng/mL number range with a nmol/L result you will probably be low when you think you are normal

• Like 3

Abc Aus 

WORLD NEWS: Germany extends coronavirus lockdown

Germany is to extend its partial coronavirus lockdown to January 10, following a meeting between Chancellor Angela Merkel and the head of the country's different states. 

The restrictions had been set to expire just before Christmas. 

Germany has been seeing its worst daily figures for coronavirus related deaths, registering 487 in the last day. 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

So, odd situation with the worker in NSW Australia who contracted Covid; looks like she cleaned the room of some US airline crew who stayed there for a short time between flights. The crew weren't tested for Covid, just had to isolate, but now they're re-thinking that policy. 

So with that resolved it seems there is no Covid circulating anywhere in the community in Australia . . . at the moment. One of the outcomes of this is that we will probably not get the vaccine until quite a bit after other countries, because there will not be any emergency reason for it.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/no-new-covid-19-cases-as-fresh-infection-linked-to-overseas-strain-20201204-p56kmn.html

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This kind of thing is so horrible and crazy it is difficult to believe, and yet I have heard so many stories like these.

What kind of people are we in this country if this is how we behave? I honestly am so disillusioned with people, more so than I have ever been before in my 56 years. I really just want to stay home and pretend there aren’t so many crazy, mean people around, who have totally lost the ability to use simple logic.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, TCB said:

This kind of thing is so horrible and crazy it is difficult to believe, and yet I have heard so many stories like these.

What kind of people are we in this country if this is how we behave? I honestly am so disillusioned with people, more so than I have ever been before in my 56 years. I really just want to stay home and pretend there aren’t so many crazy, mean people around, who have totally lost the ability to use simple logic.

This is not unique to our country, I think. I've thought a lot about this--the seeming inability to use logic. But logic doesn't do much good without trust.

I closely followed the ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The HCWs, scientists, and others who were desperately trying to eradicate that virus were met with resistance and aggression at every turn. Human beings are human beings where ever they happen to be located geographically. I'm not at all surprised by the "resistance" in our own country. Here is one study on DRC's issues w/ resistance. Clearly, there are vastly different cultural beliefs systems in play, but their conclusions do show some parallels with what might be going on in our society here. I wish that the CDC and NIH could do something similar with focus groups here. Maybe they are, but I haven't heard about it.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, popmom said:

This is not unique to our country, I think. I've thought a lot about this--the seeming inability to use logic. But logic doesn't do much good without trust.

I closely followed the ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The HCWs, scientists, and others who were desperately trying to eradicate that virus were met with resistance and aggression at every turn. Human beings are human beings where ever they happen to be located geographically. I'm not at all surprised by the "resistance" in our own country. Here is one study on DRC's issues w/ resistance. Clearly, there are vastly different cultural beliefs systems in play, but their conclusions do show some parallels with what might be going on in our society here. I wish that the CDC and NIH could do something similar with focus groups here. Maybe they are, but I haven't heard about it.

I think there is more than just cultural differences between the US and the DRC, but also educational differences and the overall level of development in the countries. I think the more interesting question is what makes us so different from our peer countries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frances said:

I think there is more than just cultural differences between the US and the DRC, but also educational differences and the overall level of development in the countries. I think the more interesting question is what makes us so different from our peer countries.

I think it may be difficult to define a "peer country" to the U.S. 

I found it encouraging the process they used to try to reach those who were resistant.

Edited by popmom

3 minutes ago, Frances said:

Maybe so, but I highly doubt the DRC would make the top fifty or even one hundred options.

So we should dismiss their experience out of hand because of that? I think the big parallel is trust. And respect for a human being's personal beliefs. That was my take away from the study, and all the other things I read over that period of time.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, popmom said:

So we should dismiss their experience out of hand because of that? I think the big parallel is trust. And respect for a human being's personal beliefs. That was my take away from the study, and all the other things I read over that period of time.

No, I don’t think it should be dismissed. I just think more can be gained from comparing the US to peer countries. Plus, I don’t think it’s hard to understand why we are seeing what we are in this country. It’s not some big mystery. Science and scientists have been under attack, primarily by one side, in this country for a long time. The pandemic was politicized and propaganda, disinformation, and misinformation were purposely used to instill anger and fear of loss of freedoms to maintain division and political power.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Frances said:

Do we dismiss or judge those who don't have what we have arbitrarily determined to be an acceptable level of education as less than? Are they less human? Are their feelings less valid? This is where by beef with elitists comes in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Frances said:

No, I don’t think it should be dismissed. I just think more can be gained from comparing the US to peer countries. Plus, I don’t think it’s hard to understand why we are seeing what we are in this country. It’s not some big mystery. Science and scientists have been under attack, primarily by one side, in this country for a long time. The pandemic was politicized and propaganda, disinformation, and misinformation were purposely used to instill anger and fear of loss of freedoms to maintain division and political power.

Sorry. I'm not buying that. That's a convenient way to dismiss and devalue entire people groups. I can't do that. 

• Like 2

Just now, popmom said:

Do we dismiss or judge those who don't have what we have arbitrarily determined to be an acceptable level of education as less than? Are they less human? Are their feelings less valid? This is where by beef with elitists comes in. 

Of course not and please don’t try to twist my words. However, there are actual measures of education and development that are used to compare countries.

Of course not and please don’t try to twist my words. However, there are actual measures of education and development that are used to compare countries.

I wasn't twisting your words. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was trying to probe a little deeper. That's all. Man do I know about people on this board twisting words. I surely don't want to be party to that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, popmom said:

Sorry. I'm not buying that. That's a convenient way to dismiss and devalue entire people groups. I can't do that. 

There’s no need to agree, but certainly the US is somewhat unique among peer countries in it’s widespread dismissal of science and scientists and it’s strong focus on individual freedoms rather than what is best for society. And politicians were exploiting this long before the pandemic. So I don’t find it all surprising that it was magnified during a global health crisis and left us in a weakened position relative to our peers.

• Like 1

There’s no need to agree, but certainly the US is somewhat unique among peer countries in it’s widespread dismissal of science and scientists and it’s strong focus on individual freedoms rather than what is best for society. And politicians were exploiting this long before the pandemic. So I don’t find it all surprising that it was magnified during a global health crisis and left us in a weakened position relative to our peers.

First, we have no peer. 

Second, our country exists because of a select group of people who valued individual freedom over personal safety. This is primarily why our country has no true peer. IMO

And yes we can disagree. 

• Like 1

Just now, popmom said:

First, we have no peer. 

Second, our country exists because of a select group of people who valued individual freedom over personal safety. This is primarily why our country has no true peer. IMO

And yes we can disagree. 

Yes, we can agree to disagree on whether or not we have true peers or even any peers.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, popmom said:

What many see as exploiting is what many also see as representing.

I can see that side of it. Personally, I prefer my representation to be of the uniting, factual, non-propaganda and disinformation based variety, but to each his or her own own.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

that’s similar to what people like Dr Been have reported for practitioners trying to help in early home stages 

In many cases the primary conflict doesn’t seem to be “science” versus public etc, but rather new “science” versus established “science” such as for Michael Mina who was in that article and trying to get rapid inexpensive home tests approved where obstruction to that is by and large the “status quo” “scientific” establishment. 

Or “research science” versus “field experience” in clinical medicine such as researchers who say x doesn’t work (eg HCQ+zinc+azithromycin  or Ivermectin+doxycycline (or even vitamin D ) etc etc) versus practicing doctors who say they see patients improve when given x at right time and right dosage.  

And in many cases I experience a division and divisiveness  (that we have seen sometimes right in this thread) sometimes vitriol between public who tends to side with research scientists and public who tends to side with field experience doctors. 

Or vitriol between portion of “public” who side with someone like Michael Mina trying to get a new way of testing to be available to the public  - versus  - portion of “public” who side with the status quo approach of people like Fauci et al

I think this adds to public distrust, and worse -  perhaps not just distrust but frustration, anger...  and anger then probably erupts in places like WTM , or erupts as threats against people like doctors or the people in the article...  

I expect that there may well be fewer people wanting to go into medicine because of the current “attack” climate ...  it is not just Dr Li in CCP China who gets attacked for trying to reveal something he believes is true and important. 
It happens in American medicine. It happens in discussions like this very one. 

I also am increasingly hearing people who are concerned about other things over CV19- not denying CV19, but that it needs to be put in perspective of many simultaneous important things - emotional health, economic sustainability, civil freedom, ....   A few weeks shut down to level curve was well accepted, however going on and on and on is increasingly not well tolerated   -  in my experience increasingly across political spectrum and most certainly across an educational spectrum

Edited by Pen
  • Like 4

NPR also has a story about the number of county public heath workers who are leaving — in Kansas alone, 27 have retired, resigned, or been fired since the pandemic started. I love how the county commissioner (who chose to be photographed in a MAGA hat) claims the county health officer brought the threatening e-mails and personal attacks on herself by criticizing Trump's response to the pandemic. 😕 

• Sad 3

17 hours ago, popmom said:

I think it does exactly the opposite, actually. Bad leaders throughout time and place have used disinformation and propaganda as political tools. Their constituents are the victims. Recognizing that emphasizes the inherent value and dignity of all people and hopefully reminds us to choose leaders who show respect and empathy for others rather than exploiting them for their own personal gains.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 3