Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Very cool history.

I am not as familiar with Cullman County so don't know if they are more like Appalachians or not.  Well then you know that Marshall County and Jackson County and parts of Morgan County, DeKalb county, etc -you find people who have a very, very different mindset than what is typical in Huntsville- much more similar to attitudes in Appalachia.     And the people that my son has met and described to me seem to not be the kind of people who take kindly to "authorities" telling them what to do.  (My son meets lots of rural people because he is a caver and many of the caves he goes to are in surrounding counties). 

But, at least much earlier in the pandemic, the place I saw the most unmasked people was a trendy bakery/cafe and it was younger women than me who lunch.  (It wasn't my type of place so I haven't been back and have no idea if they are still going).  And no, I don't mean, they were unmasked during lunch- I mean while in the bakery shop area before lunch.

I see what you are getting at, but I'm not seeing it translated to the data. Can you show me the numbers?

I actually spent a good bit of my childhood in Jackson Co. And yes I would say that Cullman Co is more like Dekalb County. But the mountains of Alabama may be more diverse than you realize. My parents lived in Valley Head for about 10 years. It's a very interesting mix of people up that way. Not exactly your Appalachian stereotype.

Edited by popmom

3 hours ago, Pen said:

my understanding is that it is close to accurate up to “current” and projected after “current” where line is on the graph

I know that numbers take a month or so to come in fully ... but unlikely to change hugely from CV19... for rest of year ... a sudden mass event like asteroid or kinetic weapon could change that

I’m confused about how you are drawing conclusions for 2020 when it says the 2020 data is based on UN projections and does not include any impacts of the virus. The line on the graph shows projected data starting with 2020 which matches the note at the top. And it takes far more than a month or so for numbers to fully come in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, popmom said:

I see what you are getting at, but I'm not seeing it translated to the data. Can you show me the numbers?

I actually spent a good bit of my childhood in Jackson Co. And yes I would say that Cullman Co is more like Dekalb County. But the mountains of Alabama may be more diverse than you realize. My parents lived in Valley Head for about 10 years. It's a very interesting mix of people up that way. Not exactly your Appalachian stereotype.

I know that there is a mix living in each of those counties.  And yes, I know it isn't exactly Appalachian but it is very different than rural GA (not mountain area) or rural MS.

And the numbers I keep looking at are the AL dept of health portals.  THe neighboring Counties (except usually Limestone) have had higher COVID rates consistently in this pandemic.  Higher in April, higher in July, higher now too.  In April, it was that some of those counties have chicken processing plants and other types of businesses that had lots of close contact.  I have no evidence for why they keep having worse rates but I suspect it is more gatherings and less mask wearing.  But as you know, I haven't been driving around doing social research.  

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I know that there is a mix living in each of those counties.  And yes, I know it isn't exactly Appalachian but it is very different than rural GA (not mountain area) or rural MS.

Exactly. I just am not seeing any trends to explain why some counties are experiencing more COVID than others. When I look at the stats, there doesn't seem to be any socio-economic or cultural explanation. And that is because I do know the make up of these counties. There's no rhyme or reason. It's puzzling.

just saw your edited post. Food for thought.

Edited by popmom

11 hours ago, popmom said:

Could be, but I'm not seeing it. I'm "older", but I tend to shop when younger working people shop. Anywhere from noon to closing. I have done my shopping at all times of day except early morning. 100% mask compliance until the one incident today. I shop at 3 different grocery stores weekly, an occasional trip to Costco, even rarer trip to somewhere to buy clothing. Church is the only place that I know of where people take off their masks--as long as there is no singing or talking. But there hasn't even been a case of COVID that could be tied to our church services. (I'm not comfortable going, but this is the info I get in our newsletter updating on precautions.)

All I can figure is that there are a lot of people gathering socially in homes. 

I definitely think this is a lot of it. People say they are being totally safe, because thy mask at the grocery store. But then they go to lunch with a friend at an indoor restaurant, hit up bowling with their kids, have playdates, take and post selfies of "running into a friend" while out without wearing a mask, have mom's night out without masks, etc etc etc. 

I've seen dozens of people posting photos of all this on Facebook. More recently than before even as numbers go back up. Heck, someone just posted in the facebook homeschool group I'm part of about scheduling a mom's night out. 

And EVERY time someone posts in the big metro area facebook group about wanting to set up playdates or co-ops for their kid, dozens or more of total strangers excitedly agree. They are all masking in stores I imagine, due to mask mandate in my county (although the governor refuses to order one and recently made it illegal for counties to enforce the local ones). But they are still having lots of potential exposure. 

Even my "take it seriously" 21 yr old has WAY more exposure than Im okay with. He went camping with friends and it got cold so they shared a tent, has shared a car ride, hung out to watch movies, etc. It is the same 3 friends all the time, but still. I have no illusion that it is safe, but h's my kid on the spectrum and I cannot deny him this bit of socialization. I just can't. And yet he wouldn't DREAM of going in a store without a mask. 

8 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

But, at least much earlier in the pandemic, the place I saw the most unmasked people was a trendy bakery/cafe and it was younger women than me who lunch.  (It wasn't my type of place so I haven't been back and have no idea if they are still going).  And no, I don't mean, they were unmasked during lunch- I mean while in the bakery shop area before lunch.

Yup - higher economic level in my area equals more unmasked events,from what I can tell. More "mom's night out", more playdates, more travel just for fun, etc. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

One factor I’ve seen mentioned not specific to Alabama is that states next to states with bad outbreaks have more trouble due to people travelling back and forward between the two so it kind of spills over.

some states especially in Northeastern US are “tiny” and relatively densely populated compared to others

New Jersey is visible from parts of NYC and other states like Connecticut are commuter “bedroom” areas for many NYC workers.

otoh cities like Los Angeles and Houston  are within geographically large states and not very near other state borders (some cities that have had outbreaks are nearer Mexico or perhaps Canada than another state - and some USA cities with airports may have more international travel between countries than people going in and out from bedroom communities in a contiguous state)

Some states, and some large geographic parts of some states are sparsely populated, while other states, or parts of states are densely populated. 

In some areas outbreaks were started by people from NYC area fleeing and going not just to a contiguous state, but farther away and taking illness with them. 

The proximity issue, to extent that drives border region outbreaks,  is a reason that in some areas groups of states made mandates in concert with each other in spring — such as Washington, Oregon, California. 

However, things like Governor Newsome and his friends allegedly including medical professionals apparently going out to eat at fancy restaurants unmasked in groups bigger than allowed to us mere commoners of the Western states, or other politicians issuing travel restrictions to the commoners yet apparently going on vacation trips themselves, and so forth, makes credibility crash - imo even for many of us who take cv seriously

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

https://www.studyfinds.org/children-with-covid-blood-vessel-damage/

Really bad news- and if it is happening to the children, I think they better quickly figure out if it is happening to adults- especially before people start flying on airplanes and going on long car trips with minimal stops.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/82317869.pdf

about viral associated TMA

Edited by Pen

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I definitely think this is a lot of it. People say they are being totally safe, because thy mask at the grocery store. But then they go to lunch with a friend at an indoor restaurant, hit up bowling with their kids, have playdates, take and post selfies of "running into a friend" while out without wearing a mask, have mom's night out without masks, etc etc etc. 

I've seen dozens of people posting photos of all this on Facebook. More recently than before even as numbers go back up. Heck, someone just posted in the facebook homeschool group I'm part of about scheduling a mom's night out. 

And EVERY time someone posts in the big metro area facebook group about wanting to set up playdates or co-ops for their kid, dozens or more of total strangers excitedly agree. They are all masking in stores I imagine, due to mask mandate in my county (although the governor refuses to order one and recently made it illegal for counties to enforce the local ones). But they are still having lots of potential exposure. 

Even my "take it seriously" 21 yr old has WAY more exposure than Im okay with. He went camping with friends and it got cold so they shared a tent, has shared a car ride, hung out to watch movies, etc. It is the same 3 friends all the time, but still. I have no illusion that it is safe, but h's my kid on the spectrum and I cannot deny him this bit of socialization. I just can't. And yet he wouldn't DREAM of going in a store without a mask. 

Yup - higher economic level in my area equals more unmasked events,from what I can tell. More "mom's night out", more playdates, more travel just for fun, etc. 

It's a struggle for most families, I'm sure. My 2 oldest have socialized some, too, but they don't live with me. My youngest is on the spectrum, and she has surprised me. She has only wanted to get together with her "group" (social skills) once. They met outdoors at a park. She is fine with their occasional Zoom meeting. Middle dd is very introverted, too. She has been happy to isolate with us. I'm sure our situation is very unusual. 

I agree with everything you said. I'm not on FB anymore, so I'm oblivious I guess. 

4 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

https://www.studyfinds.org/children-with-covid-blood-vessel-damage/

Really bad news- and if it is happening to the children, I think they better quickly figure out if it is happening to adults- especially before people start flying on airplanes and going on long car trips with minimal stops.

So what are we looking at? Blood clots? Vasculitis? Is the damage permanent?

3 hours ago, Pen said:

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/82317869.pdf

about viral associated TMA

I just skimmed because I have to go to the eye doctor. Thanks for sharing.

I'm dreading the eye doc visit, but I'm way overdue. I have glaucoma, and they won't call in anymore drops without checking my pressure. 😞 

• Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/underground-party-california-leads-158-145600473.html

This report from NBC news talks about how LA sheriff's deputies busted a very large underground party and ended up rescuing a trafficked teenager.  This type of event with more than a hundred people is what the LA County Sheriff wants to move against, not small business owners or small family gatherings, etc,.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pen said:

The proximity issue, to extent that drives border region outbreaks,  is a reason that in some areas groups of states made mandates in concert with each other in spring — such as Washington, Oregon, California. 

However, things like Governor Newsome and his friends allegedly including medical professionals apparently going out to eat at fancy restaurants unmasked in groups bigger than allowed to us mere commoners of the Western states, or other politicians issuing travel restrictions to the commoners yet apparently going on vacation trips themselves, and so forth, makes credibility crash - imo even for many of us who take cv seriously

I live in the same western state as you (not CA) and while I condemn Newsome for not always following his own mandates, it does not affect the view I have of my own or other governors and does not make me question the credibility of my Governor. In our state, I’m far more concerned about elected officials and medical professionals who disagree with the Governor’s mandates and defy them and encourage others to do the same.

I’ll save my concern about the behavior of Governors of other states for those in the Midwest where I have family (IA, SD) whose constituents are paying a terrible price for their lack of action in fighting the spread of the virus.

And I’ll always have more respect for someone who has the maturity to admit their mistakes and apologize, as Newsome did, rather than doubling down and never admitting mistakes or apologizing, as demonstrated repeatedly by our current leader.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

So what are we looking at? Blood clots? Vasculitis? Is the damage permanent?

I just skimmed because I have to go to the eye doctor. Thanks for sharing.

I'm dreading the eye doc visit, but I'm way overdue. I have glaucoma, and they won't call in anymore drops without checking my pressure. 😞 

I don't thiink we have the answers about permanency but most other places of scar tend to stay scarred though presumably if it is a small child, by growing, they will have more veins that aren't scared compared to those that are.  

And my understanding of these changes is that they increase your chances of blood clots.  Considering that just the most common genetic factor for blood clotting affects 9% of European ancestry people (Factor V Leiden) and there are at least 28 other clotting conditions (that was the number in 2010 when I was tested- I would think they may have found even more since then), there are going to be new recommendations needed to prevent blood clots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I don't thiink we have the answers about permanency but most other places of scar tend to stay scarred though presumably if it is a small child, by growing, they will have more veins that aren't scared compared to those that are.  

And my understanding of these changes is that they increase your chances of blood clots.  Considering that just the most common genetic factor for blood clotting affects 9% of European ancestry people (Factor V Leiden) and there are at least 28 other clotting conditions (that was the number in 2010 when I was tested- I would think they may have found even more since then), there are going to be new recommendations needed to prevent blood clots.

After rereading, it seems to affect the small blood vessels, so not deep vein thrombosis. But still clearly serious--as in causing organ failure. I'm wondering why would this not affect children the way it's affecting adults. 

I'm not understanding how someone can have high biomarkers for vessel damage, but not have TMA. Obviously above my pay grade. I guess there are other types of damage.

I don't know anything about the long term consequences of acute kidney injury, but this is disturbing:  In our cohort, 10% of minimal COVID-19, 36% of severe COVID-19, and 28% of MIS-C patients had evidence of AKI (Table 1).

Y'all probably already knew this was happening in kids, but this is the first time I've seen this.

"The short- and long-term implications of complement activation in children with SARS-CoV-2 are unclear, especially in children with minimal or no symptoms. HSCT (stem cell transplant) recipients who develop TMA can develop life-long clinical issues, including hypertension, pulmonary hypertension, stroke, and chronic kidney disease.41  It is therefore possible that there could be unrecognized long-term consequences of TMA due to SARS-CoV-2 infection. Future work is needed to better understand the long-term sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection and SARS-CoV-2–related TMA. Children with elevated sC5b9 and evidence of TMA should arguably be monitored for resolution of findings and for potential long-term sequelae. It is unclear whether children with elevated sC5b9 but no other evidence of TMA require monitoring. These are important areas for future study."

https://ashpublications.org/bloodadvances/article/4/23/6051/474421/Evidence-of-thrombotic-microangiopathy-in-children

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

Germany reports more than 28,000 new coronavirus cases, by far the biggest one-day increase on record

- New cases: 28,268
- Positivity rate: 10.3% (-)
- In hospital: 21,255 (+441)
- In ICU: 4,341 (+56)
- New deaths: 533
- Data from: @risklayer

makes me wonder how long before they approve the Pfizer vaccine?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

TMA is also associated with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome (APS). We think it runs in my family--one person (out of several who have had clots) is diagnosed with APS, but more people in my family have died from or had emergency surgery for relatively rare conditions that are increasingly being associated with small blood vessel clots and APS (esophageal rupture, duodenal ulcers/perforations, and gangrene of the stomach--all of which can be found in literature on APS if you google specifically enough). No doctors want to get to the bottom of the family history with real answers. 

I am not hopeful about the chances anyone in that branch of my family has of surviving COVID because of the clotting issues. 

• Sad 6

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/3888981001?__twitter_impression=true

Cleavon MD has been tweeting related to the pandemic since around March.  He shares personal stories and names of victims.  According to this story he has been told not to return to the hospital he was working at after tweeting

“NO ICU BEDS! When our rural Arizona hospital ICU is full, we medevac patients to different hospitals across the state, BUT NOT TONIGHT, because there were NO ACCEPTING HOSPITALS, so for an entire 12 hour shift we managed ICU patients, while treating other emergencies. “

• Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/3888981001?__twitter_impression=true

Cleavon MD has been tweeting related to the pandemic since around March.  He shares personal stories and names of victims.  According to this story he has been told not to return to the hospital he was working at after tweeting

“NO ICU BEDS! When our rural Arizona hospital ICU is full, we medevac patients to different hospitals across the state, BUT NOT TONIGHT, because there were NO ACCEPTING HOSPITALS, so for an entire 12 hour shift we managed ICU patients, while treating other emergencies. “

I think this can be tricky. Some workplaces have pretty strict social media policies when it comes to any mention of the employer. An employee of the hospital in my city recently lost her job due to a pandemic related social media post. The post resulted in a flood of negative publicity for the hospital. I’m assuming this doctor was not sharing any personal stories involving patients unless he had permission from everyone involved? Confidentiality concerns related to healthcare are huge. While I’m not saying I agree with the hospital’s decision, I wouldn’t be surprised if he broke some of their rules in some of his posts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I totally agree with the what this dr. Says in this piece.  And there is more to health than just COVID.  Loneliness is a higher risk factor for death than smoking or obesity-not COVID death, any death.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

TMA is also associated with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome (APS). We think it runs in my family--one person (out of several who have had clots) is diagnosed with APS, but more people in my family have died from or had emergency surgery for relatively rare conditions that are increasingly being associated with small blood vessel clots and APS (esophageal rupture, duodenal ulcers/perforations, and gangrene of the stomach--all of which can be found in literature on APS if you google specifically enough). No doctors want to get to the bottom of the family history with real answers. 

I am not hopeful about the chances anyone in that branch of my family has of surviving COVID because of the clotting issues. 

Well if any of you get it, get on blood thinners immediately. Talk to your doctors now about getting a prescription to have in case you get it.

58 minutes ago, Frances said:

I think this can be tricky. Some workplaces have pretty strict social media policies when it comes to any mention of the employer. An employee of the hospital in my city recently lost her job due to a pandemic related social media post. The post resulted in a flood of negative publicity for the hospital. I’m assuming this doctor was not sharing any personal stories involving patients unless he had permission from everyone involved? Confidentiality concerns related to healthcare are huge. While I’m not saying I agree with the hospital’s decision, I wouldn’t be surprised if he broke some of their rules in some of his posts.

Yeah I agree.  Similarly to the Florida data doctor I tend to assume we’re only hearing one side of the story.  I remember being a little surprised when I saw the initial post.  However I have followed him for a while and he has been raising awareness since the beginning so I guess it wasn’t a new thing.  

• Like 1

Three sleeps left until my older ds is allowed to leave quarantine in an Auckland hotel!  I can't wait to see him! Way back in the beginning of this thread I was trying so desperately to get him back before all the airports closed in March. This time will take 15 days rather than 24 hours for him to travel here.

• Like 21

3 hours ago, kbutton said:

Have you run across any of the studies that suggest gut bacteria might be causing APS? This one is from a few years ago but there have been others, i think.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161113154953.htm

In addition, the fecal microbiomes of APS patients showed a significant decrease in Bilophilia bacteria and an increase in Slackia bacteria. Fifty-nine percent of the APS patients, but none of the controls, were persistently positive for anti-domain I (DI) antibodies. Increased Slackia and decreased Butyricimonas, a genus of bacteria that produces butyrate, were also significantly correlated to anti-DI IgG positivity in the APS patients. Slackia can produce phospholipids, including cardiolipin, one of the target lipids in APS.

4 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Have you run across any of the studies that suggest gut bacteria might be causing APS? This one is from a few years ago but there have been others, i think.

Gut bacteria have been implicated to have something to do with a lot of autoimmune diseases.

9 hours ago, BeachGal said:

🤯  Interesting. They know there is a familial tendency for it, but it's not consistent enough that anyone has found genetics that clarify. 

12 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Well if any of you get it, get on blood thinners immediately. Talk to your doctors now about getting a prescription to have in case you get it.

The doctor I have is not worth having, lol! She won't listen to "normal" concerns (and it's my third family doctor to try, so not worth it...). The other family members most at risk are on blood thinners--that fact is one of the excuses used to not continue trying to figure out the problem. There is only who has had a related presentation that is still alive (some were in previous generations), and I think she would avoid wanting to know if she had something like this, TBH. There are other more frank genetic anomalies established in the family, and she hasn't opted to be screened for those that I know of (we're an odd bunch genetically!!!).

• Sad 2

49 minutes ago, kbutton said:

The doctor I have is not worth having, lol! She won't listen to "normal" concerns (and it's my third family doctor to try, so not worth it...). The other family members most at risk are on blood thinners--that fact is one of the excuses used to not continue trying to figure out the problem. There is only who has had a related presentation that is still alive (some were in previous generations), and I think she would avoid wanting to know if she had something like this, TBH. There are other more frank genetic anomalies established in the family, and she hasn't opted to be screened for those that I know of (we're an odd bunch genetically!!!).

I am really sorry,  If you can afford it, I would recommend a concierge doctor.  That is what we changed to about five years ago.  It has been totally worth it and dh was thinking he didn't really need it but the last two years have pretty much changed his mind.

Oh and ours isn't that expensive- something like 1750 a year per adult ()he sees children up to age 26 for free) and it is FSA eligible and tax deductible.

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

California reports over 35,000 new coronavirus cases, by far the biggest one-day increase on record

- New cases: 35,468
- Positivity rate: 14.3% (+3.8)
- In hospital: 12,940 (+463)
- In ICU: 2,773 (+63)
- New deaths: 159

Things are really not looking good. For the cases to be that high and the positivity to be climbing as well... 😞

• Sad 1

US passed 302,000 deaths.  Second day of over 3000 deaths.  246,000 cases yesterday.  Worldwide over 700,000 cases in a day and passed the 70,000,000 case mark.

Apparently France are not lifting restrictions because numbers haven’t been dropping as expected, Germany is looking at more restrictions.  UK seems to be going the wrong direction but data is kind of spiky so it’s hard to tell.

• Sad 2

Article seems to indicate children are, in fact, major drivers of spread.  (And also reiterates that spread is much more uneven than would be expected.)   https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/09/30/largest-covid-19-contact-tracing-study-date-finds-children-key-spread-evidence?fbclid=IwAR3syoUHTm3uzjIYfiT0vpdfTANvHJo7AL2GXu6T5uMjf8pUOBFDuEuJ35g

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Researchers have linked five specifics genes to severe Covid.

“The genes - called IFNAR2, TYK2, OAS1, DPP9 and CCR2

So, can somebody who's done one of those genetic tests (23&me, for example) tell me if you can search for these in your results?

8 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

So, can somebody who's done one of those genetic tests (23&me, for example) tell me if you can search for these in your results?

I was wondering the same.  And also of having the gene is an issue or just some specific variants.  Because it was only a media article not a study it was somewhat unclear.  

Edited to add I think this is the actual study that may be more helpful

edited again to add the actual link... duh

https://idp.nature.com/authorize?response_type=cookie&client_id=grover&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nature.com%2Farticles%2Fs41586-020-03065-y

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I did one of those kits via FamilyTree DNA. In general, no, you can't just search through your data to see if you have those genes. 

Here's a link to 23 and Me about what medical information they are able to give you: 23 and Me Health Related Information 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

Article seems to indicate children are, in fact, major drivers of spread.  (And also reiterates that spread is much more uneven than would be expected.)   https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/09/30/largest-covid-19-contact-tracing-study-date-finds-children-key-spread-evidence?fbclid=IwAR3syoUHTm3uzjIYfiT0vpdfTANvHJo7AL2GXu6T5uMjf8pUOBFDuEuJ35g

I wonder if part of the spread with younger children in households (which this article is addressing) rather than schools is the needs will be higher. If my young child came down with the virus I don't know that I could socially distance or quarantine him by himself. I would be sorely tempted to comfort him. I would take precautions, but still might contract it from him. But if he's at school, I could quarantine him until a parent is able to pick him up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

@wilrunnerI think the key idea is that kids do spread it. At one time, it was believed children (under a certain age) did not shed the virus like teens & adults and therefore were no risk. 

Yeah, it's very possible that younger children do, in fact, shed less virus than older teens and adults, but there is no way to social distance from little kids in a household.  But clearly they do shed enough virus that it's a concern.  I have worries about the fact that vaccines haven't been tested on kids, because to really end the pandemic (and safely get kids back to school, which has major league economic implications as well as social and economic), we need kids vaccinated.  

• Like 2

Germany (from ABC news)

The country will close shops from the middle of next week.

The decision came ahead of a meeting planned for Sunday morning between Chancellor Angela Merkel and state leaders as Europe's largest economy grapples with a rise in infections.

Germany has been in partial lockdown for six weeks, with bars and restaurants closed, while stores and schools have remained open. Some regions have already imposed tougher measures as infections grew.

Markus Soeder, the premier of Bavaria, told Germany's Bild newspaper that the new measures would be wide-ranging, including schools, kindergartens, contacts and shops.

• Like 1