Jump to content

Menu

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Sorry about the screenshot of a photo of a slide but this was shared by Ian Mackay one of the Aus doctors.  Quite a lot of people are arguing that increases in Europe are just better detection of cases and cases in young people.  But looks like in uk hospitalisations are increasing as well.

4E79EA80-C206-46EA-BA17-BA2DE0842105.png

 

From John Campbell videos I gather that lots of people in UK are not using masks etc.    

Reproduction rate is around 1.4 and without masks etc or other means to reduce it, viral load would probably be high.  

US charts seem to show that hospitalizations and deaths are rising but nowhere near like case rise and nowhere near like they had been when things were at worst in spring.   The colors represent age groups, Black is over all age groups. And pretty much US hospitalizations are going down - not rising.   Link to graph is in the info stuff on today’s Campbell video. 

 

Also could there be a be a difference between hospital admissions due to sick because of CV19 versus admitted due to something else entirely  and  testing positive for CV19? 

 

And, unfortunately, I think there may also be human response to charts like these where people see one, decide when there’s what looks like a trough or decline that every thing is fine and stop taking precautions so then it goes up. 

 

 

72BBC5EA-DB24-442A-BA16-9BC6BEFCEB48.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Ausmumof3

    3075

  • Pen

    2348

  • Arcadia

    1337

  • prairiewindmomma

    305

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DS got home 3 hours ago!  ❤️❤️

Update-  my youngest is not only short of breath, coughing, dizzy, nausaues, and with headache-  she is also confused.  I called our doctor and talked with him and she is going to be going to the ER.

That's not a blanket right.  If my religion required human sacrifice, I can't practice it.  If my religion required sexual assault, I can't practice it. Freedom of religion isn't a blanket right

Posted Images

 

Btw I take screenshots from time to time so that I can look again and see revisions in “preliminary data” that lag a few weeks.    I don’t expect what looks like substantial decline to hold up as more data arrives, but also don’t expect that it will turn into a significant upward line graph. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I found Yesterday’s John Campbell interesting:

https://youtu.be/LYJOhIzCIxc

https://youtu.be/LYJOhIzCIxc

 

@Ausmumof3 I watch / or listen to while doing other things  nearly every DrBeen video (sometimes get to them some time after the making though) and maybe about 50% of John Campbell ones, and only suggest them here if they seemed of particular interest .

 

@ElizabethB Did you catch that Fauci apparently actually takes 6,000 IU of D daily himself while originally not mentioning it or suggesting RDA type doses to the people?   Idk if that’s accurate or not.  Campbell asked if anyone knew and someone said that, but Idk source.  Would not surprise me at all however. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pen said:

 

Higher hospitalizations and deaths total? Or higher rates compared to cases (cfr or estimated ifr)?  

The multiple articles I've looked at haven't differentiated. When cases here started going up no one wanted to accept that it was just because of increased testing, though, so why should the case for Europe be different? They re-opened things, too, and cases have gone up. Shocking. (The numbers I'm seeing are strange, though. One source has Spain at over 14,000 new cases for 9/18, and Worldometer has them at less than 5,000 for that day. That's a ridiculously huge discrepancy.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

The multiple articles I've looked at haven't differentiated. When cases here started going up no one wanted to accept that it was just because of increased testing, though, so why should the case for Europe be different? They re-opened things, too, and cases have gone up. Shocking. (The numbers I'm seeing are strange, though. One source has Spain at over 14,000 new cases for 9/18, and Worldometer has them at less than 5,000 for that day. That's a ridiculously huge discrepancy.)

 

OurWorldinData can also be a good source to check things. 

I have relatives who live in Spain. Personal communication is that Things ***have*** gotten worse there— though not nearly as bad as when very bad.  And particularly worse by comparison with in many ways similar Italy.

 Part may be due to opening Spanish tourism back up. And return to more “marcha” party going lifestyles.

Italy didn’t open tourism back up is still using more precautions—like masks are becoming part of fashion—and are using contact tracing apps.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Pen said:

 

@ElizabethB Did you catch that Fauci apparently actually takes 6,000 IU of D daily himself while originally not mentioning it or suggesting RDA type doses to the people?   Idk if that’s accurate or not.  Campbell asked if anyone knew and someone said that, but Idk source.  Would not surprise me at all however. 

I heard that.  Sad if true.

My location is now in a time of the year where you cannot make vitamin D from the sun anymore, I checked to make sure my husband was taking a winter load of vitamin D. Basically all of Canada and the Northern part of the US is now in that zone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

I heard that.  Sad if true.

My location is now in a time of the year where you cannot make vitamin D from the sun anymore, I checked to make sure my husband was taking a winter load of vitamin D. Basically all of Canada and the Northern part of the US is now in that zone.

 

In addition to time of year, for those in smoke region, even if far enough south to theoretically be possible, we probably aren’t out enough and / or the sun is too filtered by smoke.  

Same would be probably true if in rainy region even if quite far South. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Florimell said:

 According to Worldometer, regarding Spain's numbers: Data are provisional and subject to change. From Sept. 15 onward, figures for daily new cases only include cases already validated by the Ministry of Health in the daily PDF report. Since the validation process takes time to complete, additional cases are expected to be added retroactively once the weekly historical dataset revision is released by the Ministry of Health on Friday, Sept. 25. Data up to Sept. 15 reflects the latest release of the official "Historical Series of Cases by Autonomous Community" dataset released by the Ministry of Health. [source] [source]

I don't use Worldometer actually because of huge discrepancies that I've seen, but a difference of 10,000 is pretty ridiculous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

DD's friend died this morning. A lovely woman, a wife, mother, and grandmother, who had was basically an extra grandmother or aunt to my daughter is dead far too early because my area could not take this virus seriously. She'd been careful since March because she wanted to be there for her grand children, and DD has been worried for her this whole time. My kid has been tearing herself up over fear and concern for her older friends and doing everything she can, and it doesn't matter because other people aren't being careful. 

  • Sad 23
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

DD's friend died this morning. A lovely woman, a wife, mother, and grandmother, who had was basically an extra grandmother or aunt to my daughter is dead far too early because my area could not take this virus seriously. She'd been careful since March because she wanted to be there for her grand children, and DD has been worried for her this whole time. My kid has been tearing herself up over fear and concern for her older friends and doing everything she can, and it doesn't matter because other people aren't being careful. 

Im so sorry. The same happened to our grandmother. It went so fast. 😞 Give your dd a big hive hug. 

  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Plum said:

Does anyone have a link to a good article or video that goes in depth into the different vaccines? How each one is different? 

Thanks! 🙂

TWIV did a really good update in one of their podcasts last week. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pen said:

 

😞

 

Do you have links to more info on this?  

I guess we already knew that standard quarantine period was designed to catch most cases, but that a few have had longer incubation periods.  Maybe because it is NZ where he can not be likely to have had an exposure to someone else at day 16 this helps to confirm that.  In lots of other places this is probably happening but there are so many cases that there is no way to know for sure. 

Will NZ change approach? 

 

It is also important to keep in mind for any travelers, students, business conference meeting attendees, etc. 

 

 

They are currently checking the only other place he could have gotten it from - which was his flight from Auckland to his quarantine facility in Christchurch. So they are testing all those passengers and crew.  But his case links genomically to 2 other cases on the flight from India, so it is likely from that. They will also be checking all the footage from days 1 and 2 in the lower level quarantine before the 2 people who tested positive were moved to a different hotel for the higher quarantine.  I'm sure we will hear more about the investigation as it may impact advice to travelers once they leave quarantine. I doubt they will extend the time to 3 weeks to catch a 1 in 30,000 chance. 

What I quoted was all that I have seen so far. But when there is more info, I'll post the link.

We hear today about dropping down alert levels. We were hoping to have all restrictions removed for the country except Auckland. But we will see. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pen said:

 

In addition to time of year, for those in smoke region, even if far enough south to theoretically be possible, we probably aren’t out enough and / or the sun is too filtered by smoke.  

Same would be probably true if in rainy region even if quite far South. 

Yup. Or really, to be realistic, people in the South hibernate in the AC in the summer - I know I do! 

I take minimum 5,000 IU daily. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pen said:

 

I found Yesterday’s John Campbell interesting:

https://youtu.be/LYJOhIzCIxc

https://youtu.be/LYJOhIzCIxc

 

@Ausmumof3 I watch / or listen to while doing other things  nearly every DrBeen video (sometimes get to them some time after the making though) and maybe about 50% of John Campbell ones, and only suggest them here if they seemed of particular interest .

 

@ElizabethB Did you catch that Fauci apparently actually takes 6,000 IU of D daily himself while originally not mentioning it or suggesting RDA type doses to the people?   Idk if that’s accurate or not.  Campbell asked if anyone knew and someone said that, but Idk source.  Would not surprise me at all however. 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/09/14/supplements-white-house-advisor-fauci-takes-every-day-to-help-keep-his-immune-system-healthy.html?__twitter_impression=true
 

on Dr Fauci.  I think he would have to be careful recommending large doses to the general public given the risk of overdoing it.  Doing it under medical supervision is one thing but it’s almost guaranteed if he recommended it there would be somewhere out there like the fish tank cleaner people that would overdose.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Florimell said:

 According to Worldometer, regarding Spain's numbers: Data are provisional and subject to change. From Sept. 15 onward, figures for daily new cases only include cases already validated by the Ministry of Health in the daily PDF report. Since the validation process takes time to complete, additional cases are expected to be added retroactively once the weekly historical dataset revision is released by the Ministry of Health on Friday, Sept. 25. Data up to Sept. 15 reflects the latest release of the official "Historical Series of Cases by Autonomous Community" dataset released by the Ministry of Health. [source] [source]

Bno said they aren’t reporting on spains high number of cases because they are apparently mixing antibody and PCR data so it’s pretty hard to tell what’s actually going on.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/09/14/supplements-white-house-advisor-fauci-takes-every-day-to-help-keep-his-immune-system-healthy.html?__twitter_impression=true
 

on Dr Fauci.  I think he would have to be careful recommending large doses to the general public given the risk of overdoing it.  Doing it under medical supervision is one thing but it’s almost guaranteed if he recommended it there would be somewhere out there like the fish tank cleaner people that would overdose.  

 

In Spring to June he seemed to be against most people taking it on the grounds that most people in developed world are not “deficient.”   

 

 

He could have said that he supplements himself But to be careful because too much is also dangerous. 

 

Most people in developed world are not “deficient” may be true.  Rickets is probably fairly rare in developed world.  But many people in developed world are lower than is good for other aspects of health besides rickets so not sufficient as different from “deficient” .

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pen said:

 

In Spring to June he seemed to be against most people taking it on the grounds that most people in developed world are not “deficient.”   

 

 

He could have said that he supplements himself But to be careful because too much is also dangerous. 

 

Most people in developed world are not “deficient” may be true.  Rickets is probably fairly rare in developed world.  But many people in developed world are lower than is good for other aspects of health besides rickets so not sufficient as different from “deficient” .

 

Hmm I didn’t know he was against it I hadn’t heard that.  I did a quick search and it looks like he’s mentioned taking vit c and d to maintain immune health back in 2016 pre Covid.  
 

there was a study at the beginning of September showing a stronger link between vit d and covid and I think our dr Norman Swan started talking about it.

I guess what I’m trying to say is there seem to be some people implying it’s kind of a conspiracy theory that he was trying to hide a miracle cure from people so they will accept vaccines and lockdowns.  I really don’t buy that.  I realise no one here is saying that but that’s what is being claimed on the extremes.  I think it’s more that as increasing evidence is coming out that vit d works you will see public health people start mentioning it more.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Sigh. More observational studies. 

Have there been RCT for D?  
 

one thing I’ve seen is that many of the things that correlate with vit d may be due to more outdoor time etc.   (more exercise, more daylight leads to better sleep).   I’m hedging bets by taking vit d when I remember but really trying to get outdoors whenever we can.  We’re heading into summer here though.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Have there been RCT for D?  
 

one thing I’ve seen is that many of the things that correlate with vit d may be due to more outdoor time etc.   (more exercise, more daylight leads to better sleep).   I’m hedging bets by taking vit d when I remember but really trying to get outdoors whenever we can.  We’re heading into summer here though.  

 

Outdoors/daylight/ sun on skin  if it’s an option does a bunch of things positive. Not just D . For example Nitric Oxide also benefits.   

It is hard to do an RCT for daily life use as prophylaxis .

There was an RCT done for people with early CV19 admissions to hospital giving or not giving D in large dose as Calcifediol (can be done more quickly that form rather than slow build methods by oral dosing) right away.  The D group did much better.  I think I Linked it several pages back.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Announcement made!  NZ is going down to its lowest level - so gatherings of any size allowed and no masks or social distancing required.  Auckland will remain at gatherings restricted to 100 people for 2 more weeks. Masks required on public transport for Auckland. 

155,000 tests in the community have been completed in the past 3 weeks, with zero new cases.  There has been zero cases linked to the Auckland cluster for the past 7 days. The others from the prior 2 weeks were family members who had already been put in the quarantine facilities even though they had not yet returned a positive test, so they were not in the community.

The 3 new cases from the person with the 21 day incubation over the weekend have been contained because they were vigilant and got tested ASAP when feeling unwell. So he did not spread it to anyone besides his 2 family members. The PM was very thankful for the family's quick thinking, as it saved us from another outbreak.

So it looks very positive that elimination v2 is in process. 

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, square_25 said:

Here's the randomized Vitamin D study: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7456194/

If the results are true, it's quite impressive. However, some of the things in this study are very strange. First of all, it's quite small -- big enough if it's really randomized, but small. Second of all, this says that it's a "Parallel pilot randomized open label, double-masked clinical trial." I don't think "open label" can be double-masked, can it? 

Also, the way the qualities distributed between the groups is strange. The number of people with high blood pressure is vastly largely in the untreated group, and that's very unlikely with actual randomization. Having so many people with previous diabetes in the control group is also very unlikely... it's not like they are even reporting on that many statistics, so having so many strangely distributed attributes makes me wonder what in the world they did to randomize. 

Anyway, I would love to see this reproduced. I would guess people must be trying it, now that there's this very strong result.... 

I found this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-label_trial

so I would think not?  Weird.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Change with the way HHS signs off on rule changes - all have to be signed off by the HHS secretary from now on.  I’m seeing some people concerned about how this impacts on FDA.   I’m not sure whether it’s that bad or not but figured it’s worth knowing what changes are being made at the moment.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/09/20/hhs-statement-on-regulatory-process.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Pen said:

 

I found Yesterday’s John Campbell interesting:

https://youtu.be/LYJOhIzCIxc

https://youtu.be/LYJOhIzCIxc

 

@Ausmumof3 I watch / or listen to while doing other things  nearly every DrBeen video (sometimes get to them some time after the making though) and maybe about 50% of John Campbell ones, and only suggest them here if they seemed of particular interest .

 

@ElizabethB Did you catch that Fauci apparently actually takes 6,000 IU of D daily himself while originally not mentioning it or suggesting RDA type doses to the people?   Idk if that’s accurate or not.  Campbell asked if anyone knew and someone said that, but Idk source.  Would not surprise me at all however. 

Thanks.  I’m half way through.  I actually hadn’t realised US was trending back up again I had thought you were still trending down.  Is that likely linked to college and school going back yet or would it be too soon?   The doubling rate in the uk seems worrying.  Re the second part I found a couple of sources.  One was an interview with Jennifer garner where she asked what supplements he recommended and he said c and d but nothing else (not even my beloved elderberry).  In another interview with business insider he clarified that he is taking d because he’s been working extremely long hours indoors and not getting sun exposure and his levels are low.  There was an email with the 6000 figure but it was a screen shot and I have no idea if it was real or fake.  Though if he was using it as a loading dose to get his levels up because they are low after so much time indoors it would make sense.

Edited by Ausmumof3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Thanks.  I’m half way through.  I actually hadn’t realised US was trending back up again I had thought you were still trending down.  Is that likely linked to college and school going back yet or would it be too soon?   The doubling rate in the uk seems worrying.

 

I would guess that colleges are a part of it.  A lot of cases were picked up as returning college students were tested.  But there are other sources also continuing.   I am sure the fires and hurricanes situation has not helped. Conditions in shelter facilities and fire fighting camps don’t lend themselves to maintaining good distance, and the smoke probably adds to lung impairment. In my county there have been new outbreaks in senior living facilities also. 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, square_25 said:

Here's the randomized Vitamin D study: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7456194/

If the results are true, it's quite impressive. However, some of the things in this study are very strange. First of all, it's quite small -- big enough if it's really randomized, but small. Second of all, this says that it's a "Parallel pilot randomized open label, double-masked clinical trial." I don't think "open label" can be double-masked, can it? 

Also, the way the qualities distributed between the groups is strange. The number of people with high blood pressure is vastly largely in the untreated group, and that's very unlikely with actual randomization. Having so many people with previous diabetes in the control group is also very unlikely... it's not like they are even reporting on that many statistics, so having so many strangely distributed attributes makes me wonder what in the world they did to randomize. 

Anyway, I would love to see this reproduced. I would guess people must be trying it, now that there's this very strong result.... 

 

The words “open label” and “masked” used together seem contradictory and don’t make sense to me.  One short paragraph explained what the “masking” entailed. 

The randomization process was explained in the paper.

It makes sense to me that actual randomization won’t necessarily give well matched cohorts especially with a small study.  Like 50 coin tosses won’t typically give 25 heads and 25 tails. 

Edited by Pen
Link to post
Share on other sites

 @Plum 

I would like to get an air filter/purifier for my husbands office as he is a counselor and has to be in a closed room for 50 minutes with clients. I wondered if you could recommend one as I think you have one.

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pen said:

 

I would guess that colleges are a part of it.  A lot of cases were picked up as returning college students were tested.  But there are other sources also continuing.   I am sure the fires and hurricanes situation has not helped. Conditions in shelter facilities and fire fighting camps don’t lend themselves to maintaining good distance, and the smoke probably adds to lung impairment. In my county there have been new outbreaks in senior living facilities also. 

 

I found some of this data helpful for us metrics.

https://twitter.com/Hold2LLC/status/1308051762407002113?s=19

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TCB said:

 @Plum 

I would like to get an air filter/purifier for my husbands office as he is a counselor and has to be in a closed room for 50 minutes with clients. I wondered if you could recommend one as I think you have one.

Thanks!

I bought BlueAir purifiers. I stick with the + version. They covered a little more sq footage than the others. They can get about as loud as a regular fan when on high but are practically unnoticeable when on low. So for an office, I’d get a bigger size so I can keep it on low but still have it replace the air a little quicker. That’s my completely unscientific opinion though. It’s consumer reports rated. I can’t get to the list online ATM but it was top spot I believe. 
 

With the fires, they may be difficult to find. I bought mine from amazon because they had 2 packs for $50 less. I think they are sold out. 😟

https://www.blueair.com/us/blue?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAdv3kVC_1tLe61eva7Dk39udXWSp1ejWg3Ul7Lv_XjAXGZtsVCtJ16saApe8EALw_wcB

I had a thread on here in May that had a bunch of recommendations for HEPA air purifiers. I hope something will be in stock for you!
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terabith said:

Okay, I should really sift through it all, but what's the recommended vitamin D supplementation?  Assume no benefit from sun.  Level was 46 in April of 2019, and I can't get it updated.  

 

There is no exact answer because a) vitamin D metabolism is individual b) exact ideal level is not determined (and some people feel better individually at different levels, and different levels are associated with less cancer versus less viral infection... )

 

You can go to the GrassrootsHealth.org (iirc  the url) and enter your weight, the 46 level if you think you would still be the same, and your target level, say 60, which I think is possibly its top calculator level currently and get a computer calculated number.

 Or you can go to VitaminDWiki and read its more detailed information and look at its tables.  For many adult and teen size people 5,000 IU per day seems to be an amount to maintain level as is. (but some people need more and some less to maintain a level) sSo if you want to get up to around 60, you probably need somewhat more for awhile, or one bolus dose and then around 5,000 IU daily-Assuming the 46 from 2019 is still roughly correct if you haven’t changed eating/sun/vitamin habits since (lifestyle in terms of D). 

NB: Above 4,000 IU per day from my research is level at which you also need to take balancing vitamins- at least K2, and probably A and E to not have problems with calcium reg etc.  This is probably why most doctors don’t say over 4,000 - it becomes more complicated. 

 

Currently 50ng/ml (if u got levels as ng/ml - std in USA most of world uses nmol /l) is being considered a base level of okay - afaik.  My research has indicated that a good bit higher is probably better for me. Some people I know aim for “highway 66” as an ideal, others even higher like 85 or 100.   

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, square_25 said:

No, but the chances of 15 heads or fewer is minimal. I calculated probabilities and got a less than 2 percent probability of so many people with high blood pressure in one group, which is... possible, of course, but unlikely.

 

🤷‍♀️ Maybe it was false. Idk. 

It said a larger study will be started. Or maybe did already. 

 

Could be helpful to have vitamin D ship tests for prophylaxis— like was once done for limes and scurvy.  Have some ships with captains who have the whole crew  maintain a ~60ng/ml D level and see if they do better than ones who don’t.  Or similar in food packing plants, agricultural workers, etc. 

 

Personally I think seeking a single magic bullet is a mistake—and most studies seem set up to try to do that.  And I think there’s a lot to the motto that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ...  I am using D3 etc and zinc etc and masks etc.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN26C27E?__twitter_impression=true
 

This would be strange if more true.  There’s some thought that prior infection with dengue fever seems to be protective against Covid19.  Areas that have had heavy dengue fever outbreaks have lower COVID infection rates.  This is preprint only at this stage.  
 

“Nicolelis told Reuters the results are particularly interesting because previous studies have shown that people with dengue antibodies in their blood can test falsely positive for COVID-19 antibodies even if they have never been infected by the coronavirus. 

"This indicates that there is an immunological interaction between two viruses that nobody could have expected, because the two viruses are from completely different families," Nicolelis said, adding that further studies are needed to prove the connection.”

 

Does anyone know if HCQ is used for dengue treatment at all?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Yeah, I like the idea of a prophylaxis study. Or of this study replicated. This big an effect would be amazing.

 

Is your position that you avoid D supplementation for you and your family unless it is proved effective for CV19 in an RCT?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN26C27E?__twitter_impression=true
 

This would be strange if more true.  There’s some thought that prior infection with dengue fever seems to be protective against Covid19.  Areas that have had heavy dengue fever outbreaks have lower COVID infection rates.  This is preprint only at this stage.  
 

“Nicolelis told Reuters the results are particularly interesting because previous studies have shown that people with dengue antibodies in their blood can test falsely positive for COVID-19 antibodies even if they have never been infected by the coronavirus. 

"This indicates that there is an immunological interaction between two viruses that nobody could have expected, because the two viruses are from completely different families," Nicolelis said, adding that further studies are needed to prove the connection.”

 

Does anyone know if HCQ is used for dengue treatment at all?

 

 

 

Cinchona / quinine from which Chl and HCQ originally derive was used traditionally for treating fevers of all types (and some other illnesses too), probably millennia and at least centuries before knowing the causative agents. 

 

modern / recent times? 

Chloroquine to decrease pain / symptoms?

HCQ in vitro studies attenuated DF, but Idk if there were real life studies.

 Many people in DF areas are more likely to have HCQ access more readily - it’s over the counter in some parts of world, so hard to know if people feel bad with DF and take HCQ do they feel better? Or did they get a less severe case of DF if on HCQ (or Chloroquine or quinine?) antimalarial in times past?  I don’t have anecdotal observation evidence about it let alone RCTs. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, square_25 said:

Nah, it’s probably worth doing!! Not like there’s any harm, and it’s useful for other stuff. It’s just inertia.

However, I’m very curious whether it actually helps.

Vitamin D is the only supplement my very evidence-based, pro-vax ped recommends, FWIW. You might give yours a call and ask.  

We have been inside so much these last few weeks because of the smoke I've tried to be extra vigilant about giving it, but even with outdoor time the doc says you need way more sun than is healthy to get enough vit D.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, square_25 said:

Nah, it’s probably worth doing!! Not like there’s any harm, and it’s useful for other stuff. It’s just inertia.

However, I’m very curious whether it actually helps.

I have not kept up at all with the evidence for Vit D and Covid so I may be way off the mark. My dd has been studying about correlation and causation recently and I got to thinking about the Vit D thing and it crossed my mind to wonder if it was possible that people with low D may be more likely to be those that spend a lot of time inside and we now know that being inside is much more of a risk for contracting Covid.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Yeah, I’m sure it’s a good idea!! I’ve just been lazy. We were planning on starting to supplement, actually.

 Since it doesn’t seem high priority to you to take D anyway, maybe you could do a small study on your own family.  One spouse take it, one not.  Half of kids supplement, half not.  It would not need to be blind or random or anything and would hardly be “proof” of anything with such tiny sample—but maybe it would make for an interesting irl experiment as part of homeschooling .  You could observe and keep track of all illnesses, common cold for example in the took it and didn’t take it groups.   You could also measure actual levels in family members. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

CDC apparently updated their guidance to airborne transmission yesterday then removed the update for review a few hours later!

What the heck! This is getting ridiculous!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TCB said:

What the heck! This is getting ridiculous!

I guess implications in terms of schools and PPE are expensive.  I know in Aus healthcare staff are fighting to get fit testing for n95.  I’m only guessing but I’d assume once aerosolised spread was acknowledged this would have to be provided.  (I think they actually are finally getting it at least for the covid wards).

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, square_25 said:

That's going to be completely meaningless, lol. We are all totally different people. It would be vaguely meaningful if one year I took it and one year I didn't, but even then you can't do much with that data unless it's extremely strong (spoiler alert: it won't be.) 

 

Are you all people who tend to “never get sick” no matter what?  If so and if in addition to that you are largely isolating this year, then it would probably be quite meaningless.  

Otoh if you are a family that tends to get one or more colds yearly and to spread them from one to another within the family and you are still getting exposed to others, it might not be so meaningless.  If you found out that all family members got sick just as much with 25ng/ml or 60ng/ml, I would be interested in that observational anecdote.  (I am thinking common cold, stomach bugs, etc, not CV19!)   Or whatever results you got, I’d be interested. Maybe DD 8yo would be interested in such a “study”— it might even have science fair potential for that age level!   Write up could explain issues of small sample size etc.    other factors like mood, physical strength, vision, could also be tracked....

Edited by Pen
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pen said:

 

Are you all people who tend to “never get sick” no matter what?  If so and if in addition to that you are largely isolating this year, then it would probably be quite meaningless.  

Otoh if you are a family that tends to get one or more colds yearly and to spread them from one to another within the family and you are still getting exposed to others, it might not be so meaningless.  If you found out that all family members got sick just as much with 25ng/ml or 60ng/ml, I would be interested in that observational anecdote.  Or whatever results you got, I’d be interested. Maybe DD 8yo would be interested in such a “study”— it might even have science fair potential for that age level!   Write up could explain issues of small sample size etc. 

We certainly got sick less this year but unfortunately I think that was the distancing not the d because kids aren’t taking it and they didn’t get sick either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...