Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

1 hour ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

GF alternatives for complex carbohydrates -- I'm sure you know, as a diagnosed celiac, but I thought I'd take the moment to post in case anyone needs this:

Potatoes, all varieties
Most but not all corn tortillas - we heat in a pan and use for bread, in a pinch
Some but not all cornmeal
Buckwheat flour (dedicated mill only) - might be able to order online
Winter squash and pumpkins
Quinoa
Millet 
Tapioca starch can be made into tortillas, see The Gluten Free on a Shoestring blog

Remember also, foods like custard pies can be made as puddings without crust. Peanut butter cookies can be made with just egg, sugar, and peanut butter. Check into celiac or gluten free forums and FB groups for no-specific-ingredient recipes and ideas.

Also, you can use cabbage as a base for stir fry instead of rice if rice runs low.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hmmmmm. I guess that's possible. But given that people of all ages are pretty short-sighted, I'm not sure people would actually make this trade-off in cold blood. "Yes, if I keep behaving like I do, I will likely either die or be incapacitated, but I'm fine with that!!" 

Maybe it's both. My mom, who is 61, is definitely still prioritizing health and longevity. The 80+ year olds that I know do. not. care. They want to live their lives and that is that.

2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Maybe it's both. My mom, who is 61, is definitely still prioritizing health and longevity. The 80+ year olds that I know do. not. care. They want to live their lives and that is that.

This is my dad.  My sis (who lives next door to him) is so frustrated trying to convince him to stay home.  

10 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I think that’s a little dismissive though. If we call it denial, we are saying that their thinking is wrong. I don’t think that’s true. I think their priorities are different. This has been studied at length. Being Mortal is an excellent book that tackles the subject. 

They're like this with everything though. I've tried to get my in laws in a home because they can barely get upstairs or out of the tub but the response is "We have 20 years before we have to think about things like that." Um, honey, you'll be dead in 10. My dad sees no reason to retire despite the fact that he's in too much pain to work half the time and mom won't date under 40 because she's young at heart. They're all old! They need therapy.

2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

That's the thing! Thanks!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hmmmmm. I guess that's possible. But given that people of all ages are pretty short-sighted, I'm not sure people would actually make this trade-off in cold blood. "Yes, if I keep behaving like I do, I will likely either die or be incapacitated, but I'm fine with that!!" 

I remember both of my grandmothers stating that they were ready to die shortly before the event that ended their lives.

I do understand being ready to stop fighting the inevitable at some point.  It's not like if we miss this one we will live forever.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Also- someone up thread (or maybe in one of the other threads) said that the elderly aren’t afraid to die. But someone correct me if I’m wrong, but this doesn’t sound at all like a nice painless way to die. 

no, it's not.  comments from drs who've treated these patients is they drown in their own sputum.  (slowly).   and visitors aren't allowed anywhere near them, so they die alone.

and just because one 80 year old doesn't care if they get it - if they keep going out and about and become infected, they could give it to someone who does care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My sister told me she thought I was crazy initially when I told her to buy diapers for her newborn a few weeks ago, but did so, and expressed thanks to me today. She had gone shopping and there were none to be found.

I don’t know whether to bang my head on the wall or feel relieved. 

Now if I could just get my parents to stay home, or buy more than a day’s worth of groceries.

• Like 8

REI https://www.rei.com/blog/news/eric-artz-rei-retail-stores-closing-until-march-27

“After a great deal of careful consideration, we are temporarily closing our 162 retail stores nationwide starting tomorrow, March 16, until March 27. I believe that is the right thing for our community. In fact, I believe it is our duty—to do all we can to help keep one another safe in this unprecedented moment.

That also means all employees from these stores will be paid during this temporary closure. And, even with our stores closed, we will be working hard to do everything we can to continue to serve our customers. All orders through REI.com will get free shipping while our stores are closed.”

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

29 have died from there. Two more today. 

Of the life care patients - One died at Harborview (the "new" first death, died Feb 25).  One at Overlake, and I think one died at a hospital in Snohomish county.  Not all of the Life Care deaths were at Evergreen.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/vittorio-gregotti-renowned-italian-architect-dies-of-coronavirus-at-92
“Vittorio Gregotti, an Italian architect who helped design the 1992 Barcelona Summer Olympics stadium, has died aged 92 after catching the coronavirus, Italian media said.

Gregotti died of pneumonia on Sunday after being hospitalised in Milan, having fallen ill with Covid-19, the Corriere della Sera newspaper and AGI news agency reported.”

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Since 11am yesterday there have been another 37 cases of Covid-19 diagnosed in NSW, bringing it up to 171 cases since the outbreak started, Hazzard said.

There are 1,282 cases under investigation. There have been 25,511 tests so far.

“So I would remind the community of the importance of being with us in partnership in trying to minimise this virus, but also understand that the number of people who are still being impacted in our community are still relatively small, compared to the total number of tests and the broader population,” Hazzard said.

“Having said that, it is starting to look as if there will be a fairly substantial, what we would understand to be, an exponential increase in numbers over the next few weeks.”

Vic just announced they have temporarily run out of test kits

• Sad 2

Dd just rang me. Her university just contacted her and told her to not go to class tomorrow. Do not hand on the models for her assignments etc. The uni is going to be off campus, online studies. With mostly portfolio work. She just ordered a A3 printer so she can upload her portfolio from her accommodation 

I am so relieved, she travels to uni by tram during peek hour, it goes right past the high school that has closed because a student tested positive last week

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I wonder what 'temporarily' means. 

They are having the same problem as US - they have run out of the reagent for the last stage of the test.  They are trying to discourage people from seeking testing here as well unless there’s a strong likelihood of positive.  I suspect Australia must have had more stocks of it than US for some reason but now we’re in the same boat

i think most of it comes from Europe?  That’s what I heard.  They are probably negotiating to get more but whether the raw materials are in shortage or there’s issues with transport I’m not sure.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I wonder if/when Deakin will close? 

Dd can do all her coursework from home, and lectures are already online. 

I'm pretty close to cancelling all my things. That exponential rise starting is worrying me.

Is your Dd on campus? Or does she have accommodation  away from uni? 

Australia - NBN to be strengthened (ABC)

The National Broadband Network has announced its plans for coping with the increase in demand from households, with more and more people set to be working from home or stuck in self-isolation.

It says it has been monitoring usage patterns and spikes from countries around the world that have experienced the sorts of lockdowns Australia may soon turn to in an attempt to gauge what will be required.

It also said it will "incrementally increase" its data capacity allocation to service providers to help reach that demand, and will limit any non-essential maintenance.

NBN chief executive officer Stephen Rue said:

We are actively working with retailers and have the complete support of our government stakeholders to ensure we do everything possible to optimise the nbn to support the expected increase in residential use.

So hopefully that means we can work/watch 13 hours straight hours of Netflix uninterrupted.

• Like 1

I’m trying to feel food-secure, but I’m still a little nervous. I don’t believe groceries will be made to shut down or anything like that, and I know distribution is working extra hard. My concerns are more large family oriented.

At the moment, my WM pick-up has 1 slot for today (I’m assuming someone canceled) and a few for tomorrow. No days after that are clickable. My assumption is that they’re trying to prevent long-range chaos and keep up with accurate stock for online orders.  I’m not sure whether to try to order what was OOS on Saturday now, for pick up tomorrow, or wait until later in the week and see what slots they release to reserve.

Right now, I don’t have to stock up on anything, so I haven’t been overly concerned about household limits. I’m not sure about the future, though. We’re 2 adults, 2 near-adults, and 2 rapidly growing boys. And then we also hope to have 2 more kiddos who may have issues with food/nutrition. (They did 3 years ago.). I’m not terribly concerned about most of the current items that have limits, but we could easily have a problem if limits expand to more things.

What’s everyone else thinking about routine shopping?  I used to only shop every other week when the kids were all little and pick-up wasn’t a thing. Now I do weekly, but it sure would be nice to cut my trips in half during a pandemic! Except maybe buying 2 weeks worth of groceries for 8 people would get me flagged as a hoarder!

4 days until court.  I’m assuming kiddos’ caseworker is going to be slammed today, but I’m really hoping she can at least get us sizes, favorite colors, things like that. With there being delivery delays, I don’t know how quickly we can get stuff, and I have no idea what they may or may not come with.  If everyone is insane and we don’t get the kids, maybe we can arrange to send them the stuff anyway.

P.S. Have I mentioned that I purged early elementary resources from my house? 😕 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

Just got this from a friend. It is from an internal memo from a hospital here in NZ. 

Virus Detection:<snip>

I'm sorry but this isn't from a hospital in New Zealand.  It's been circulating with differing attribution on social media for over a week.  While some of it is common sense or MIGHT help, much of it is definitely NOT true, especially the bit about cold symptoms NOT being COVID.  That was disproven in France more than an month ago.  And MANY people have no symptoms at all or only cold symptoms.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

I'm sorry but this isn't from a hospital in New Zealand.  It's been circulating with differing attribution on social media for over a week.  While some of it is common sense or MIGHT help, much of it is definitely NOT true, especially the bit about cold symptoms NOT being COVID.  That was disproven in France more than an month ago.  And MANY people have no symptoms at all or only cold symptoms.

They are saying here that a cough and fever are big indicators but not so much a runny nose.

• Like 1

Wal-Mart wasn't too packed when we went last night but they were still out of TP and nearly out/low on several others- bacon, cheese, butter, eggs, frozen pizza, all forms of rice and beans, potatoes, onions. I can't remember what else.

When I referred to people mounding their carts I mean the people buying entire carts of TP or any one thing. I have 4 kids so plenty of grocery trips we have a full cart. 

Last night I had a very full cart but the most I bought of anything was 3 (regular size) bags of chocolate chips 🙂 emergency use only. The only thing I bought that is not on my regular list was a canister of instant oats. I just bought 1 or 2 extras of this and that. 

We told dh's Mom that we didn't feel comfortable visiting, she is 70+ and been fighting some cough thing half the winter, she said she doesn't want to live in fear. I told dh she can be stupid if she wants but we don't have to follow long, she can't force us to visit.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Katy said:

I was about to say, a friend of mine posted this on FB and shortly afterwards, retracted it, saying she has learned this is not from a reliable source and is not medically correct. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sassenach said:

Older people, in general, do not value safety as much as younger people. They value autonomy, agency, routine, and family. They would rather live as they choose than live longer. 

I think we should respect that their decisions and priorities are different than what we desire for them. This is THE issue in elder care in general. Safety vs autonomy. 

There is also evidence that people respond to risk very differently, depending on the risks that they have faced previously.  Many of these older people remember outbreaks of polio, TB, and measles.  Many experienced war.  Not only do they value autonomy, many fear isolation.  To them, missing out on hearing the laughter of a child, attending the memorial service of a dear friend, or other activities is a miserable experience and the thought of it is depressing.  Their mental and emotional health is also important.

• Like 2

”Global Times: China builds new “Great Wall” to contain imported #coronavirus cases. Experts called for the construction of makeshift hospitals and designated quarantine spaces in advance just in case more overseas Chinese return. http://bit.ly/2vq2Msf “

I can’t find it now but someone posted a write up the other day about how China would get case numbers right down and then shift to a strategy of blaming imported cases so if cases jump after people go back to work they can say that cases from overseas caused all the problems.  I have no idea if that’s true, but it seems like if they are building more makeshift hospitals they must be expecting (or already experiencing) another increase either from overseas cases or local cases popping up now the restrictions are relaxed.  Official figures are still very low.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

There is also evidence that people respond to risk very differently, depending on the risks that they have faced previously.  Many of these older people remember outbreaks of polio, TB, and measles.  Many experienced war.  Not only do they value autonomy, many fear isolation.  To them, missing out on hearing the laughter of a child, attending the memorial service of a dear friend, or other activities is a miserable experience and the thought of it is depressing.  Their mental and emotional health is also important.

I’m having trouble figuring out this balance right now.

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I can’t find it now but someone posted a write up the other day about how China would get case numbers right down and then shift to a strategy of blaming imported cases so if cases jump after people go back to work they can say that cases from overseas caused all the problems.  I have no idea if that’s true, but it seems like if they are building more makeshift hospitals they must be expecting (or already experiencing) another increase either from overseas cases or local cases popping up now the restrictions are relaxed.  Official figures are still very low.

No idea about China but Singapore has a spike in imported cases. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/coronavirus-moh-17-new-cases-imported-covid-19-largest-increase-12542378
“JUST IN: 17 new coronavirus cases in Singapore, 11 of which are imported.

Eleven of these new COVID-19 infections are imported cases (Cases 227, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 238, 239, 240, 241 and 243), and had travel histories to several countries including France, Spain, eastern Europe, the Netherlands and the United States. 

Four of the new infections are linked to previous cases (Case 236 is linked to Cases 142, 211 and 219; Case 242 is linked to Case 166; Case 235 is linked to Case 208; and Case 237 is linked to Case 225).

Two of the new cases are currently unlinked (Cases 228 and 234).”

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

No idea about China but Singapore has a spike in imported cases. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/coronavirus-moh-17-new-cases-imported-covid-19-largest-increase-12542378
“JUST IN: 17 new coronavirus cases in Singapore, 11 of which are imported.

Eleven of these new COVID-19 infections are imported cases (Cases 227, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 238, 239, 240, 241 and 243), and had travel histories to several countries including France, Spain, eastern Europe, the Netherlands and the United States. 

Four of the new infections are linked to previous cases (Case 236 is linked to Cases 142, 211 and 219; Case 242 is linked to Case 166; Case 235 is linked to Case 208; and Case 237 is linked to Case 225).

Two of the new cases are currently unlinked (Cases 228 and 234).”

Not good.  I guess it means on top of the various internal lockdowns travel between countries is likely to be difficult for a long time.  I know China have been reporting imported cases each day and now have a 14 day quarantine on entry.  

https://www.mercurynews.com/coronavirus-screening-site-goes-live-for-san-mateo-santa-clara-counties
“Information on a screening site at Project Baseline, an online health-information platform run by  Google subsidiary Verily, said it was “working to deliver COVID-19 testing initially in select counties in the Bay Area to the highest risk populations as defined by the California Department of Public Health.”

“The program is in its early stages, and we will take the time to assess operations at pilot sites in the Bay Area before rolling out to additional sites. We are working closely with Governor Newsom’s office, federal authorities and local public health authorities to ensure we have the right capabilities in place to help more people over the coming weeks.”

While some initial social-media responses expressed appreciation for the site, which was touted by President Trump and California Gov. Gavin Newsom, others expressed concern about privacy, noting the need to set up or link a Google account to access the site.”

https://www.projectbaseline.com/study/covid-19/

“California COVID-19 risk screening and testing

If you are interested in getting tested for COVID-19, complete an online screener based on guidelines from public health officials. Based on the responses and testing appointment availability, you will learn whether you qualify for testing through this program at this time.

We are working to rapidly expand testing in every way that we can; please check back soon as we add more testing sites and may expand eligibility criteria.

Currently offering testing for COVID-19 to Californians in:

• Santa Clara County
  • San Mateo County”