Menu

Book placement on shelves...obviously an Important Topic

alisoncooks

DH and l are engaged in an unspoken battle of the wills. We have a large book shelf in our room, roughly split 50:50 in book ownership. All of my books are set back from the edges of the cubbies/shelves, maybe 1" or so. All of DH's books are lined up flush with the very edge of the shelf, some even protruding a wee bit. 

So -- which do you prefer?  Assuming the books are tidy and lined up so the spines are all even, should they be set back on the shelf or flush with the edge of the shelf?

[And yes, every few months I slide all his books back a teensy bit so they match mine -- and so they look better (IMO). I don't think he even notices or realizes we're engaged in this battle, lol. He just moves his books back out the next time he organizes things...]

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I push mine back so I can put things in front of the books. (Spines lined up though for an even front)

Me too.  All of the spines are lined up evenly and set back from the edge of the shelf.  Not many of the shelves have something in front of the books as it gets cluttered, but there are a few small staggered items such a small painting, small sculpture, etc.

• Like 1

Sigh.
Grumble.
Huff.

I line mine up just about flush with the edge. It looks nice, my smaller paperbacks leave room to hide less interesting smaller paperbacks behind them, and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, I’m not constantly trying to get dust out from between uneven books.  I just pretty much ignore the dust *behind the books except when I’m doing a big deep clean a few times a year.

That said, my kids like to run their hands across and push them all back. My kids are not toddlers, so I’m pretty sure it’s an actual attempt to make me insane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Love the variety of responses! Just to clarify the OP, mine are set 1" back from the front edge, all spines even. I used to (in my youth) push them ALL the way back but I don't care for that now. (Mostly because I have cubbies that don't have backs on some sections and I don't want to lose anything back there...see photo.)IMG_5326.thumb.JPG.97150ba51a8891087a412fd478758080.JPG

• Like 1

Totally agree with you: pushed back, spines even. Solidarity, sister!

To me it looks kind of cold/rigid/institutionalized to have them even with the edge. Maybe I internally registered that at libraries? I love, love, love libraries, but I don't want my house to look like one, maybe?

I guess, if I would have thought about it, I would have guessed everyone did it "our" way at home!

On shelves where there are fewer books and lots of art, etc., I group things for an even more relaxed look. Something like this:

image.png.424117bededf3aa0e055495f4d8004e1.png

• Like 1

No help from me. I'm with @moonflower. But our shelves are often double shelved (two rows of books). When they've been cleaned recently, they are pushed all the way back. The kids then start restocking books in front or use the front area for something else. (Upstairs frequently-accessed kid bookshelf picture attached)

20200107_084325.jpg

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 3

Flush with the edge makes me uncomfortable. Like, I'm weirdly anxious just thinking about it. And I can't even say why. It just feels wrong. I'm not even usually a very particular person. I don't even like it in the library. Just a teensy bit back or even an inch or two back is fine.

Spines even is nice, but I often do as Regentrude said and have mine back so that other things can go in front if need be.

• Like 3

I work in a library, where all the books are at the front edge, even with each other, in order to facilitate reading the catalog numbers at the bottom. I'm rather obsessive about the *library* books lining up with the front edge.

HOWEVER...

At home, I'm more concerned about safety, so all the books are pushed all the way back (regardless of whether the spines line up), so that the center of mass is as far back as possible, and the bookshelf is more likely to tip back against the wall, and not fall into the room. When my kids were little, I was concerned about bookshelves falling on them, so I got in this habit of pushing the books back. My shelves are strapped to the wall as well, especially if they're sitting on carpeting.  

My kids are grown now, so that's not as much of a concern. Maybe I'll bring them forward. I hadn't thought about it.

ETA: I knew a 3yo little boy who was crushed when a wall unit fell on him. It was so very tragic. That may be why I'm hypervigilent about assuring that the bookcases didn't fall on my kids.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 1

I try to keep them lined up with the front edge, sometimes they are a tiny bit (maybe 1/4 inch) from the edge.  When my kids were younger they used to push them back, but it drove me batty.  They aren't perfect right now, and I am resisting the urge to get straighten them.

We attach our bookcases to the wall to help keep them from falling over.  We don't get a lot of earthquakes though, and my kids  are much too old to try to climb shelves (I hope).

5 hours ago, Farrar said:

Flush with the edge makes me uncomfortable. Like, I'm weirdly anxious just thinking about it. And I can't even say why. It just feels wrong. I'm not even usually a very particular person. I don't even like it in the library. Just a teensy bit back or even an inch or two back is fine.

Spines even is nice, but I often do as Regentrude said and have mine back so that other things can go in front if need be.

So much this, and I have no idea why.

We push all of the books back, but now that I'm thinking about it -- I think it helps me find the right book.  We have so.many.books and I know what they look like by size, shape, color.  If all of the books were flush, that would make it harder for me to identify the book that I'm looking for.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, moonflower said:

Do you guys not alphabetize them?  Finding the right book (provided someone else isn't reading it, or that I haven't left it in the bathroom or something) is not a problem.  

No alphabetizing, but I group nonfiction into..."categories" ....I'm so careless about bookshelves and feel like apologizing to groups like WTM, where books are taken so seriously. I feel like a bookshelf failure. It never even occurred to me to make the spines all even. No wonder my bookshelves looked like crap.