Menu

7th Grade Planning 2020-2021

We're more like calendar year homeschoolers, so our new school year actually starts on Monday.  Here's my 7th grader's plan.  The middle 3 kids voted to continue unit studies this year (they claim they learn more - lol).  But, we actually have a very heavy CM influence in our homeschool. 

New Things:  

We are going to *try* (key word, here) Morning Basket Time.  I've made out a list and ordered books from the library.  The first round is going to be:

• a read-aloud (we always do those, anyway)
  • Artist Study (Shen Zhou 1427-1509)
  • Poetry (Langston Hughes and Sing a Song of Seasons - they're nature poems)
  • Hymn Study (Be Thou My Vision, How Great Thou Art, All Creatures of Our God and King - I plan to cover historical background of these hymns)
  • Geography (Material World)
  • Composer Study (Classical Chinese music from Ming Dynasty time period - to go with Shen Zhou)

P.E. on Friday afternoons

• This is not really a new thing for us, but we did not do PE throughout the entire fall, because of football.  It really took away from our time together in the afternoons, so I'm going to make a point of getting my kids and the kids from another family together on Fridays for about an hour at the park to play sports.  If we're not doing PE that day, I want Kids #3 and 4 to have a playdate or do something social (they are very, very extroverted). 

No more checklists/Trying a Loop Schedule

• For years, I've made checklists for each week of the work I wanted the kids to work on independently.  Yeah, no more.  I want to undo my checklist mentality and go back to more of a one-room-schoolhouse style of teaching (that I did for several years, before relying too much on independent work).  It's made homeschooling the last 2-3 years monotonous and I feel like I don't even know what the kids are doing sometimes.  We're also going to try a Loop Schedule.  And I have no idea how I'm going to do this - I'll just have to wing it next week and see.  My middle 3 kids enjoy it so much more when they're working together in a group (Kid #'s 2, 3 and 4 are very competitive/extroverted - I need to adjust our homeschool for them now that dd18 has graduated).   

Curriculum/Unit Study stuff (first 8 weeks)

• Dimensions Math (continuing)
  • Easy Grammar Plus (continuing)
  • Sequential Spelling 
  • Case for Christ for Kids + Action Bible
  • Where the Red Fern Grows + Progeny Press Study Guide + narration/copywork
  • Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity
  • Intro to Chemistry Lab Kit (27 Labs)
  • Happy Atoms
  • VEX IQ Robotics
  • Art - a basket of sketching books covering buildings and vehicles
  • Violin (continuing)

Our next round of unit studies will probably be on the American Revolution, but I don't have that planned out completely yet.  I'm also wanting to cover the French Revolution after that.  That gives me about 6 months of unit studies, so that would take us to the summer.  I'll have to look around for more ideas.

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 4

I've been thinking about it lately, too. ETA: more decisions made.

• Math: TT 7
  • English: Easy Grammar Plus, Spelling Workout, WTM writing (written narrations, 3-level outlines, rewrites, lit. essays)
    • I was going to have him do LLATL Green like I've done with his older brothers, but I think he'll find it confusing and scattered. I think EG will be much clearer and systematic, plus he'll do well with all the repetition.
    • I'm also going to have him go through the Remedia Outlining book before he starts 3-level outlines and rewrites
  • Science: Apologia's Swimming Creatures, probably another Apologia book for second semester
  • History: Ancient history with R&S and Diana Waring audios
  • Canadian geography: Geography, Province to Province
  • Logic: Logic Lift-off
  • Other stuff: Bible memory work and singing hymns (until his voice changes)
Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 3

Ugh, I’m in denial that I will have a 7th grader in the fall. I’m not ready for it. I’m just hoping that what we will be doing is enough.

Math: Math U See Zeta and move into pre-algebra

Grammar: Fix-it Grammar Book 2

Composition: Essentials in Writing 7

History/Bible/Science: Heart of Dakota Creation to Christ and move into Resurrection to Reformation (we’ll see how this goes-going back after a few years away and combining with younger sister-she’ll do the extensions)  Heart of Dakota Res to Ref

Literature:I might just let her really dig into some books this year or we can use HOD DITHOR that I have here to bulk it up some Essentials in Literature 7

Computer: Daddy will teacher her how to work on some things. We’ll need to get to work on typing as well.

PE: Roller Derby still more than likely

Music: Either a local band or piano (undecided)

Am I missing anything? If HOD falls through, we’ll probably just do our own thing for history and go back to finish up chemistry with a few different resources.

Edited by hands-on-mama
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have two 7th graders and JUST began planning.

Math

Kid A will be finishing Jacobs Algebra, we started it halfway through this year and it'll easily last us to the end of next.

Kid B will duel Math Mammoth 6 in the am and Teaching Textbooks 7 in the afternoon.  It's SO MUCH but it'll be her third year with this combo and it seems to work.

Language Arts

They will both be continuing Writing and Rhetoric with books 7 and 8, along with daily written narrations.

We alternate grammar and spelling years as a family.  This year is grammar and we are going to try out Our Mother Tongue.  Hopefully it'll fit in two days a week to alternate with writing.

Reading is pretty open with these two, as they both have good taste.  But we are going to dip our toes into some dystopia together to complement our Government studies.  So far I'm thinking Farenheit 451, The Giver, Animal Farm, and Utopia.   

Foreign Language

We've been switching back and forth between Latin For Children and Latin Alive so we will continue that. I may add in Lingua Latina per se Illustrata as well. It's messy but we seem to do best with a lot to choose from so we don't get bogged down.

Logic

I think I've decided on Fallacy Detective. 

Social Studies

We are skipping History this year to focus on Government and World Geography/Cultures. So I'm designing a trimester Gov course myself and using Guesthollow's high school Geography to design a 2 trimester course on different countries and cultures. This will be with ALL my kids together and it's my big summer project to get it planned.  

Science 

We do science as a family as well but super duper light and it's undecided WHAT at the moment. They want experiments 🤪.   Whatever we end up doing together it won't be beefy enough for middle school so these two are going to add a light Biology course independently that will consist of First Studies in Plant Life and 5-6 disection labs to be done over the summer with dad.

Other than that they'll join us for Morning Reading (religious studies, poetry, memory, ect) and continue their busy lives. They are both very into theatre, my boy into coding, my girl into writing and nature drawing, he plays guitar and piano and she plays piano and marimbas ect.

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 1

These are my current ideas for my third seventh grader.

Language Arts: AAS 7, still unknown writing, grammar, and literature

Pre-Algebra: Fundamentals of Algebra

History: Story of Civilization volume 2 or Light to the Nations volume 1

Life Science: not sure if I'll use the book we have or something else (She's more interested in animal behavior than anatomy, so we'll probably focus on that.)

Spanish: maybe tag along with younger siblings using La Clase Divertida but probably something else to go along with it

Religion: Bible, Catechism, saint stories

I’m totally boring. My dd will be doing Memoria Press (as she has since K) with some MPOA classes. Pretty standard path though she is starting to get a little ahead on some of the subjects so she’ll be in 8th grade literature and Classical Studies and probably physical science. But pretty straight MP 7th grade.

She is asking to learn French so I am thinking about that and what approach we should take with that.

• Like 2

My oldest will be in 7th this year. 
Tentative plans-

Bible: PAC Wise Up: Wisdom from Proverbs    She started this last grade but will only be halfway through so will just continue this.

Math: BJU Math 6 with DVDs.                                
She did Math 5 with DVDs last year and it completely turned around her major math phobia. 

Grammar: Analytical Grammar Season 2

Writing: Something from IEW, probably  Ancient History writing lessons 

Literature: Progeny Press Study guides/ Ancient history booklist

History: CLE Across the Ages 

Science: BJU Science 6 with DVDs

Music: Piano lessons

DD is not a particularly mature 6th grader at this point, so we'll see how this shakes out with her next year. Some of the stuff her siblings did might be too much for her just yet. We'll see. But this is what I am hoping for.

Math - MM 7 Monday thru Thursday - on Fridays do various Mind Benders puzzles, Balancing Equations workbook, Algebra Antics workbook, and CTC Understanding Geometry - also try to get her to get some friends to do the reelmathchallenge video as a group project

Language - finish AAS7, Marie's Words, Analytical Grammar season 2, IEW SICC B (spread out over 7th and 8th), read from a list for an hour every day - also introduce some gentle note taking and formal outlining

Science - Apologia General Science - I might need to really sit with her and hand hold her through this - she can understand it just fine, but the focus and executive function required to do it independently is just not there yet

History - History of Us concise edition 1 and 2 with the Hewitt syllabus and lots of discussion to make sure she actually is reading it and not just zipping through - see focus comment above 😉

Geography - Charlotte Mason Visits To series

Computer - play with NXT Legos and Scratch

Ag - DH wants her to read an Agriscience textbook because we live in a heavy ag area and although we are not involved in ag directly ourselves, it comprises so much of the local economy he wants her to be literate in ag topics

Art - Artistic Pursuits middle school book 1 on her own

Music - teach her younger sister recorder and continue piano lessons and singing lessons at church

She'll begin speech and pre-debate classes at our speech and debate club, participate in drama, make lunch for us daily, and do a once a week PE class. She also wants to play around with some Rosetta Stone Spanish.

Edited by Momto6inIN

On 1/15/2020 at 8:09 PM, SilverMoon said:

I am 90% sure she'll do Build Your Library 7, Exploring Your World. It's lit based geography year, and covers geography, literature, poetry, art, world religions, vocab. It schedules Charlotte Mason style narrations and such that we'll skip, and chemistry. She's currently finishing up chemistry. 😜

My twin 6th grader are doing BYL 7 this year and LOVING it! We're also doing our thing with regard to the narrations and such, but I'm finding it easy to tweak. The book selections have been just phenomenal so far. 

Still a very early work in progress-

English- Word Roots 2, Winning With Writing; there will be more but these 2 are certain.  They have requested typing practice.

Math- probably Saxon 1/2,  and hoping for time for Jousting Armadillos- maybe a few Keys To books.  

Science- they do science with a high school sibling.  Holt Earth Science,  high school level.

History- again with a high school sibling, focus on post Civil War American History based on Holt The Americans blue textbook.  

I like the idea of an Ag class like a PP mentioned.  I have looked at textbooks and resources, but not sure if I want to jump in quite yet.  We do live on a farm, so I'm never sure if the books will be good, or full of stuff they already know.

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 1

My oldest will be a 7th grader next year. He's in a phase where he doesn't want to be taught by me but still needs the support of an instructor and a weekly schedule, so we're incorporating many online classes.

Math: AoPS Geometry, possibly through RFWP Online or hopefully through WTM Academy (he's on the wait list)

Science: Public online GT 8th grade science class

Social Studies: Public online GT 8th grade Early American History class

Language Arts: MCT Literature Level, writing across the curriculum (via The Writing Revolution), considering the Athena's lit to film class set, Sequential Spelling 5, public online GT 7th grade ELA class

Other: SK Philosophy level G, TBD classes through the homeschool charter, pottery, swimming, Athena's Dragonology and Superstitions classes plus probably something else fun like that second semester

Edited by Cake and Pi
  • Like 1

My oldest will also be a 7th grader.

Math: We do math year round, so he will hopefully be finishing up AoPS number theory by Sept. Moving on to probably not AoPS Alg II, possibly Foerster

Lit: We are doing another big road trip this summer, and I use that time to knock out the standard books I read in middle school. Witch of Blackbird Pond, Anne of Green Gables, Hatchet, My Side of the Mountain, Door in the Wall, etc. This will free us up in the school year to read other stuff. Possibly Plutarch's Lives for Children. I am torn on lit because I dont know how well I want it to coincide with our history cycle. We have gotten rather sick of medieval lit and we are only in Feb. I assume we will be finishing up the read-aloud of Our Young Folks Josephus.

Writing: COntinung with The Writing Revolution and Engaging Minds writing techniques for writing across the curriculum. We usually focus on one major book a month to read deeply and then do a larger writing assignment on. Continue with whatever Killgallon books we can find and haven't used. 

Science: not certain yet. He is enjoying watching everything on Great Courses about medicine. Dont know if we want to do a more formal science next year or continue with interest-based.

History - 1600-1850. We have listened to SOTW Vol3 at least 4 times. Listen to it once more. Find 4 Great Courses to fit with this topic. Might include a course on art appreciation.

Finish Argument Builder.

Continue with Latin (Growing with Latin - the sequel to Getting Started with Latin; Latina Lingua)

We are pulling our two oldest kids out of a fantastic public Montessori school next year. It's a little sad for me to pull them out of such a great school, but we have realized that we want six years of homeschooling before college rather than just the four years of high school that we had been planning on. They will be in 7th and 8th grades next year. They'll have the same curriculum except for math and science. Besides the age difference, there's also the fact that the older one is STEM-obsessed. The younger is artsy and language-focused. Here's the plan for the younger one:

Greek: Athenaze (already well into it with afterschooling)

Latin: Wheelock

Mechanics: Fix It! (starting with Nose Tree to make sure that we fill any gaps)

Writing: IEW B

Math: AoPS Prealgebra. We're pulling our current 6th grader out of public school at spring break and starting prealgebra then. If this program doesn't work for her, we'll have time to find something else before August.

Science: Apologia Physical Science? not totally sure

Logic:  I don't know what we'll use. They haven't gotten any of this at school, so we'll be starting from scratch.

Lit/History/Religion: We're planning to do a three-year cycle instead of the typical four-year cycle. We want to do classical education not just as a method but as a focus of content, so we'll spend each Fall semester on the ancient world. In the Spring semesters we'll cycle through medeival, early modern, and modern/American. My husband and I are both classicists, so we're going to do this without a formal curriculum. We'll use great books and narrative histories like Human Odyssey, SWB's History of the X World, and selections from college textbooks. Here's the rough draft of our plan for next year:

Fall

• (classical)
    • themes
      • foundational narratives
      • Plutarch’s Lives (philosophy via history/exempla)
      • philosophy primer (Plato)
    • Hesiod, Theogony
    • Homer, Odyssey
    • Homer, Iliad
    • Herodotus 1.1–92 (East/West Conflict, Croesus)
    • Livy, Book 1
    • Plutarch, Life of Lycurgus, Life of Numa Pompilius
    • Plato, Crito
  •  (Christian)
    • OT/NT books
      • Genesis
      • Exodus
      • 1 & 2 Samuel
      • Nehemiah
      • Matthew

Spring (medieval)

• (medieval)
    • Song of Roland
    • Beowulf
    • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
    • Monmouth, History of the Kings of Britain

Younger DD will be in 7th -- and I've almost forgotten to plan for her since I've been focused on older DD's 9th grade plans. 

Math: TT7

LA: CLE Reading 6 and/or 7 (we're on 5 this year and it's a semester course); Writing - ??? Might try and do the first 2 books from The Paragraph Book series.

Spanish -- Duolingo and ULAT

Bible -- Starr Meade survey

History -- ???? Maybe some state history + world geography 

Science -- maybe an earth science or astronomy. We have Tiner's History of Medicine...maybe. 

Art -- ???

Piano, PE at the YMCA

On 1/22/2020 at 5:12 PM, Momto6inIN said:

DD is not a particularly mature 6th grader at this point, so we'll see how this shakes out with her next year. Some of the stuff her siblings did might be too much for her just yet. We'll see. But this is what I am hoping for.

Math - MM 7 Monday thru Thursday - on Fridays do various Mind Benders puzzles, Balancing Equations workbook, Algebra Antics workbook, and CTC Understanding Geometry - also try to get her to get some friends to do the reelmathchallenge video as a group project

Language - finish AAS7, Marie's Words, Analytical Grammar season 2, IEW SICC B (spread out over 7th and 8th), read from a list for an hour every day - also introduce some gentle note taking and formal outlining

Science - Apologia General Science - I might need to really sit with her and hand hold her through this - she can understand it just fine, but the focus and executive function required to do it independently is just not there yet

History - History of Us concise edition 1 and 2 with the Hewitt syllabus and lots of discussion to make sure she actually is reading it and not just zipping through - see focus comment above 😉

Geography - Charlotte Mason Visits To series

Computer - play with NXT Legos and Scratch

Ag - DH wants her to read an Agriscience textbook because we live in a heavy ag area and although we are not involved in ag directly ourselves, it comprises so much of the local economy he wants her to be literate in ag topics

Art - Artistic Pursuits middle school book 1 on her own

Music - teach her younger sister recorder and continue piano lessons and singing lessons at church

She'll begin speech and pre-debate classes at our speech and debate club, participate in drama, make lunch for us daily, and do a once a week PE class. She also wants to play around with some Rosetta Stone Spanish.

Where did you find the Hewitt syllabus for The History of US? Is the company active again?

Planning for my oldest dd's 9th grade year has been tough, I almost forgot to think about younger dd's 7th grade year! Tentatively, I'm planning:

Grammar: Analytical Grammar, Season 2
Spelling: Rod & Staff, Grade 7
Vocab: Vocabulary from Classical Roots, A & B
Writing: Wordsmith (depending on what I choose for dd14)  Decided to go with IEW SSS-1B with her older sister
Lit: Various good books, both modern and classic and some to go with history

Math: CLE 7

Science: Apologia General Science, possibly in a co-op setting

History: Hakim's History of US, first 5 books (to Civil War) No history this year, going to focus on World Geography

Geography: Drawing the USA, possibly adding in some state review with Memoria Press Build Your Library Level 7, World Geography

Bible: Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study Not sure on this, we'll start with a couple of personal Bible study books.

Extras: Piano/voice lessons, homeschool choir, maybe co-op, maybe art lessons Just can't fit art lessons into the schedule this year and we've decided co-op is no longer a good use of our time.

Edited by lanabug
  • Like 1

5/5/20 first big edit. Ha! The plans are in flux due to having the non-homeschooled kid home this spring and (let's face it) likely home some next year, too. I needed to simplify my initial thoughts for 7th grade. Edits in bold. 

I've got boy/girl twins headed into 7th grade next year.

Math: finish pre-algebra (started mid-way through 6th grade), begin algebra 1 when ready. DS will likely continue with AOPS. DD is using MM7. I've not done the algebra 1 research for her yet. Favorites for after MM7? I'm not loving AOPS pre-A as we've neared the halfway mark. I'm hoping DS will be willing to go elsewhere for Alg 1 next year. Still no clue what that will be, though, for either of them.

Science: probably Exploration Education's advanced physical science (90% sure) Yep. Bought this, let them start it early because they were bored with our current science. BIG HIT! 

Writing: TBD, maybe continuing with IEW. If so, Narnia vol. 2 themed lessons would probably be our choice. We may use IEW unit structures to write across the curriculum and not actually use a book from IEW. Or we may do something else entirely. Still doing some research. I have a billion tabs open from that giant "writing without a curriculum" thread from ~5 years ago. So we'll see. We dropped IEW at the point that big brother came home for Covid-induced homeschooling. We've been writing across the curriculum and really winging it, and loving it! So definitely continuing that next year. I've got some stuff to read through to help me do that a little better in the fall (Lively Art of Writing, The Writing Revolution, etc) so that research will be this summer's task.

Literature: probably Brave Writer boomerangs. We used arrows for years, but took a break from BW this year. I think that'd be a welcome return. Yep, had kids work on a tentative book list with me. Excited about it! 

Other things under the language arts umbrella: no formal spelling (both are strong natural spellers), maybe vocab? I'd like to do some work with literary devices and literary criticism. Brave Writer might offer enough of that in Boomerang units to satisfy me, or we might see what else is available. Maybe Figuratively Speaking? None of this feels important right now.

Logic? Do I want to do formal logic? Still thinking. Nope.

Foreign Language: I need to get them to choose one. This year (6th) we've done BYL 7, which is world geography & cultures and they've been doing a world languages tour, changing languages using Duolingo every time we change continents. It's been really fun, and they've enjoyed trying out some different stuff, but I want to start something they can do through high school next year. Again, probably not. It got dropped this spring, and no one misses it. I think we'll take a year off and re-evaluate what foreign languages we'd like for high school after that. 

History: This is the one I'm feeling the most unsure about. We've done the full history cycle and a year of world geography, so I feel like we've got a couple of years to play with before we have to get down to standard high school history courses. I think we can do something more interest-led and have some fun with it. I'm leaning toward projects under the social studies umbrella, TBD. As an example of what I'm batting around in my head, I think I'd like our first project in the fall to be answering the question "What level of government has the most impact on my daily life?" They'd have to research and read about what each level of government from federal down to our city council does for its constituents. I'd love to see some interviews with city council, maybe a trip to Austin to visit with our state government representatives, mapping our various districts, etc. Who knows what all we could tie it! Ending with a paper, presentation, etc. And then choosing another project after that, hopefully with more of their input once we get our feet under us. And I'd love to see them do some projects separately from one another, too.  Does this sound crazy?! Yep. Crazy. I don't have the headspace to organize and support that. So, new plan! Social studies units from Moving Beyond the Page. They chose some with me the other day and everyone is excited about them. 

Other: piano for both, taekwondo and scouts for him, theater for her, co-op for art and who knows what else 

What am I not thinking about?! I'm feeling super scattered about this! 

Edited by craftyerin
changing my mind!
  • Like 1

Our focus will be on free reading of every level and kind; she didn't read for a long, worrisome time and is now catching up and devouring books. Reading will be half the 'school' day. Academics for the other half (not all of them every day):

English: So You Really Want to Learn English 2; James Boyd's Drums (with Study Guide)
Vocabulary/Spelling: Word Wealth, Jr.
Writing: Warriner's Composition: Models & Exercises (First Course)
Latin: Artes Latinae, Level II
Greek: if we finish Hey, Andrew! over the summer we will start Athenaze
French: BJU French 1 (second half) plus Foreign Service International (summer) and conversational French with tutor (fall/spring)
Math: AoPS Geometry / Alcumus
Arithmetic: Standard Service Arithmetics 6
Science: Various TOPS units
Music: Suzuki cello, Musition/Auralia (theory)
Art: Phonics of Drawing and lessons from older sister; The Arts of Mankind for history
Religion: Explorer's Bible Study; Vision Books
History: Milliken workbooks for World History.*

*For unfathomable reasons, out of all the worthier history resources we own or can get, she really loves these, and will learn history from them, because she enjoys gazing at the low-quality drawings on the transparencies while I read her the text. We don't even own a projector to put the transparencies on. Following the maxim "the best curriculum is the one you actually use" here.

Also kind of sort of unschooling. 😬

Edited by Violet Crown
final decision about history curriculum

We will be continuing what has worked in the past for almost everything except science and a few others.  

History/Literature/Geography: Tapestry of Grace Year 3 Dialectic  -- I am considering using Walking with Wisdom Literature Guides for a unit or two but haven't decided.  Reviews appreciated!

Math: Singapore Dimensions 7

Writing: Writing with Skill 1   -- He has been using Writing and Rhetoric and will have just finished book 6 but I'm not seeing enough skill development in building paragraphs and transitions.  I'm hoping a year of Writing with Skill will help with that.

Grammar: Rod & Staff 7

Spelling/Vocabulary:  ??  He will be finishing AAS 7.  I may drop this as a subject or pick up a latin roots/vocabulary course.    Vocabulary from Classical Roots A & B

Latin:  Latin Alive 1  Switching to MP Forms, we will do a few weeks from First Form and then jump into Second Form

Science:  Leaning towards Novare Physical Science  Letting him do a year of interest led science.  He's picked some astronomy topics, rocks, robots, and microbiology

Logic:  He completed The Art of Argument this year.  Not sure where to go next?  Fallacy Detective

He'll also attend a co-op one day a week with art, gym, maybe creative writing, and other courses just for fun. He wants to drop piano after this year and I suppose I'll let him after 3 years of lessons.  No co-op this year due to Covid.

Edited by dsbrack
Updated our curriculum decisions

• 2 months later...

Finally got this years plan mostly together.

Math: AOPS Prealgebra

Logic: The Art of Argument and Seton's Reading Thinking Skills 7

Science: Elemental Chemistry

History: Selections from Human Odyssey and Landmark History of the American People.  She's also going to help me do American History with American Girls with her littlest sister

Spelling: Megawords 5 and 6

Grammar: CLE language arts 6 or maybe Grammar for the WTM?  I'd love to have her do Warriner's, which I have fond memories of from junior high, but the lack of answer key is going to make it pretty mom intensive.  Still thinking about this one

Literature: Selections from Readers Digest Best Loved Books for Young Readers.  Poetry for the Grammar Stage

Government:  Probably Steck-Vaughn American Government.  Supplemented with Our Country's Founders and This is Our Constitution

Writing: finish Writing with Skill

Religion: some Bible reading.  Some saints stories from the Vision Book series

Latin: Clueless here.  I want her to do Henle 1 and 2 in high school, but I'm not sure what to do this year and next to prepare

She is requesting Art.  Also, lots of ballet

History: Fall of Rome through Reformation - Reading Dorothy Mills Books for spine and other supplements

Literature: Reading historical fiction, classics, and biographies from same time period as history

Grammar: Grammar for WTM
Vocabulary/Spelling: Sequential Spelling Online, English from the Roots Up 2, Wordly Wise 

Writing: Written narrations from history and literature readings, starting WWS1 
Latin: we may try an online option offered through our local school district. still not sure.
Spanish:  Rosetta Stone
Math: Saxon Pre-Algebra
Science: Apologia General Science
Music: Violin Lessons
Art: ?
Religion: Selected Bible Readings, Bob Schultz books for boys (Boyhood & Beyond, Created for Work)

Still figuring it out

My second kiddo, generally I have him work with #3 who is 13 months younger. So we'll do sort of a grade 6/7 for them.

Math - Math Mammoth 7

Language Arts - Canadian Handwriting F, Fix It 2, Writing & Rhetoric, Vocabulary Through Classical Roots 6, 

Social Studies - BYL Prehistory & Evolution, History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients

Canadian History Part 2 using Modern History Through Canadian Eyes, some AO resources, and Headphone History

Science - Not sure yet.

French

Arts

We just finished school this week (testing next week) so naturally I started planning for next year already... 😏

Bible: several books as a family, read and discuss... probably Acts and Revelation... maybe Daniel while we're on prophecy. I might have the oldest two do Case for Christ for Kids or some other study, but not sure yet.

Math: Algebra I, leaning towards Forester's with the Home Study videos. He loves math and does well working independently.

Reading: Mix of books from a list I compile. He'll get to choose titles as long as he includes a variety of genres. And we need to work on literary elements (I'm eyeing Lori D's post on that).

Grammar: Has been super-casual for us this far, but he has a fine foundation. Will probably do WTM with the two oldest this year.

Spelling: AAS level 6 (we're almost finished with this) and level 7. He's on the same level as his sister (gr 6) to make things easier for me. 

Writing: Continue IEW. Not sure if I should get the next level or if we'll just keep writing and applying what we've learned... Lots and lots of writing on lots of topics.

Science: Chemistry using Answers in Genesis, encyclopedias, other books and various experiments. Also Chemistry 101 DVDs and read science articles online. Will delve into other topics as interests arise. This kid devours science. He'll be learning all kinds of stuff on the side in his own time.

History: SOTW4 with the family, continue our study of US presidents, listen to current events, lots of history reading and biographies included in reading list. Will probably do a separate study of political parties and electoral system (did a similar study in economics this year).

Geography: probably Middle East and Africa

P.E.: would like to organize physical activity with some other homeschool families, even if it's just playing catch. Have started preliminary conversations on that. 

Logic books & games, coding, typing, formatting papers, memory work, art, piano, guitar, Latin (Memorial Press), Spanish vocab and convos, photography, cooking, and whatever else he's interested in for extras. 

Here's what I have planned for 7th grade DD next year:

Literature/History/Writing: The History of the Horse from Beautiful Feet. DD is a horse-lover and she is SO excited about this.

Science: Elemental Science's Earth Science and Astronomy for the Logic Stage

Math: Finishing TT 7 now and then she'll probably do Math Mammoth 7.

Together:

Caesar's English from RFWP - probably all of us together

The Art of Argument (with 9th grader)

Story of the World 3 (with 5th grader)

Fix-it Grammar - The Nose Tree (None of the kids have done any Fix-it Grammar, so we are starting here and doing it together)

5th grade DD will be doing a Harry Potter Unity Study, so 7th grader will probably join in on some of those activities!!!!

Extras:

Typing - Maybe TGTB?

Computer Coding of some sort

Edited by scbusf
  • Like 1

7th already? NO!!!!

Math: Continue AoPS Prealgebra

Science: Continue Exporation Education Advanced Physical Science

Language Arts: Lightning Literature 7 (My daughter is dyslexic and we've never used this before so I'm curious to see how much support she's going to need.)

Social Studies: Tagging along with big sister for US Gov. and Economics (and frankly, she'll probably be more interested than her older sister).

Spanish: We are going to dabble with this. She wants desperately to learn Spanish. She's played around with Spanish a bit in the past and done fine, but we've never focused on grammar or spelling, just conversational. I'm curious to see how this goes because I foresee her requesting Spanish for high school and her spelling in English is atrocious (again, dyslexia) so I expect we will go the ASL route. I could be mistaken though. Interest can go a very long way. 

Extras:

Continue to work on typing, Taekwondo, dance and piano.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I've got so far...

Bible:  BSGFAA (maybe....trying to find something different)

Math:  Derek Owens PreAlgebra

Writing:  Going to try some classes through Lantern English Co. (if that doesn't work out, we'll go back to Writing & Rhetoric)

Literature:  Readers/Read alouds from BYL 7

Spelling:  MegaWords, Books 5 & 6

Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise 3000 Book 7

Grammar:  IEW Fix It Grammar Book 3

Science:  Local co-op class, which uses Apologia General Science

History/Geography:  GuestHollow High School Geography (modified for middle school), plus some stuff from BYL 7  

Extras:  Weekly co-op (separate from above science class) and MMA class

Edited by Vintage81

I'm getting close to being planned - when kids are 12 in my state, we have to send in a curriculum plan for the year. We also have to do that for the first 2 years of homestudy. So, I had to get us planned!

Math: AOPS through Well trained mind academy

Science: Logic stage biology through WTM academy

History: Early modern level 2 through Pandia Press

Writing: Writing W/ Skills book 1, second half 

Spanish: working with spanish tutor

Literature: required books for History Odyssey, selections from WTM

Vocab/spelling: continuing w/ vocabulary from classical roots

Extras: piano and tennis

• 4 weeks later...

My youngest turns 12 today and will be 7th grade this fall.  

Bible - The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study (Starr Meade) - part

History - maybe SOTW 1 (keeping this light)

Literature (co-op class) - Bronze Bow, Beowulf (not sure which one yet), The Sword in the Stone with narrations.

Analytical Grammar, season 1 (co-op class)

Geography (co-op class) - Halliburton's The Orient with map drawings and narrations.

Science (co-op class) - Tiner's Chemistry with narrations.

Plutarch (co-op class)

Other co-op classes:  Nature Study and painting, Artist Study, Folk Dance, PE, Discipleship, 

Math - considering BJU 7   Might be going with Saxon instead.  7/6 or 8/7 (I want a solid review of arithmetic which just a touch of pre-algebra and most pre-algebra books seem to be the other way around)

Extra curricular:  Violin, youth orchestra (if it happens), competitive swimming.

Edited by Another Lynn

I think I am almost settled on 2020-2021 plans.  Maybe.  😆  Lots of this is based on our co-op actually being able to run this fall, so I guess some of it may change if they don't.  We shall see.  

Math:

• Principles of Mathematics Book 1 and hopefully a good chunk of Book 2. 
  • Teaching Textbooks 7 and maybe start their Pre-Algebra as individual work ("homework"?  Haha!) in the evenings.  Hopefully, between the two, we can get my math-resistant kiddo a solid grasp and get through Algebra 1 by the end of 8th grade.  

Science:

• BJU Life Science (with our Co-Op)

History:

• Masterbooks American History (With our Co-Op)
  • Joy Hakim's A History of US series
  • Review of Presidents and States/Capitals with 5th grade brother
  • Listen to Story of the World 3 and 4 with 5th grade brother
  • Literature to coincide with American History unit.  Still finalizing this.

Language Arts:

• Analytical Grammar - Season 2
  • Megawords (Haven't figured out which book we will begin in yet)
  • IEW SWI Level B.  We did one of the History based books with our co-op last year, so I think we will focus on the actual SWI course this year.  
  • Literature - History based, as mentioned above.

Foreign Language:

• Spanish (With co-op)

Extracurriculars:

• Continue competitive gymnastics...  Maybe?  At 12, who knows what she wants to do with herself from one minute to the next.  

I have been putting off planning DD's 7th grade year with all the changes this spring and not knowing what fall will bring as far as co-op and extracurriculars. Also, my state cancelled our annual homeschool convention with its huge used curriculum sale and exhibit hall so I have not had the opportunity to look over different resources in person or to buy things I know I need at reasonable prices.  Some of this is still up in the air. DD likes to mix it up, so we draw from a lot of resources but we don't use everything all at once.   

Language Arts

Literature: A list of novels with discussion/writing, short stories using mostly TpT units, poetry possibly with Art of Poetry (CAP), Shakespeare studies using Tales from Shakespeare and other resources, Prufrock Press Jacob's Ladder Level 4

Spelling: Megawords Books 4 & 5

Vocabulary: Sadlier Oxford Vocabulary Level B, Analogies for All of Us

Grammar: Easy Grammar Ultimate Grade 9, Sentence Diagramming Levels 1 & 2 (CTP), Stewart English Program

Composition: Writing with Skill Level 1, IEW SSS B 2nd Year (when it's released), various writing projects across the curriculum

Mathematics

Singapore Dimensions Math 7A & 7B

Algebra I Concepts and Skills (for reinforcement of select topics)

Science

History of Science starting with the ancients and probably getting through the Age of Enlightenment using readings and accompanying experiments

History

Ancient History through Medieval using various resources/books including Project Passports from Homeschool in the Woods

Geography

World geography and cultures at co-op

Fine Arts

Choir at co-op, piano lessons, ballet, tap, contemporary, and jazz dance

Extracurricular

Weekly church youth group

Edited by CAtoVA

BIBLE - God’s Great Covenant OT1 w/ little sister.
HISTORY - Notgrass From Adam to Us

SCIENCE - Apologia General Science 2nd Edition

MATH - CLE 7 (Thanks to all of the great advice on the K-8 board to help me make this decision!)

GRAMMAR - Analytical Grammar

WRITING - WriteShop 1

LITERATURE - Progeny Press (I let her pick 4 books)

LOOP - Artistic Pursuits, Music Theory, Composer Study, and Health / PE

EXTRAS - American Heritage Girls, Homeschool Swim Team

Edited by Bay Lake Mom

On 1/15/2020 at 7:09 PM, SilverMoon said:

I was just browsing to see what 7th looked like again and was shocked to see this already. 😄 

My fifth kiddo will be in seventh this fall. I am 90% sure she'll do Build Your Library 7, Exploring Your World. It's lit based geography year, and covers geography, literature, poetry, art, world religions, vocab. It schedules Charlotte Mason style narrations and such that we'll skip, and chemistry. She's currently finishing up chemistry. 😜

Science: TBD (earth/astronomy?)

English: finish R&S English 6 and I think start Writing With Skill 1 (so SWB can be the "bad guy" instead of me; sorry SWB!)

Math: .... she's been a pill this year. She's capable of starting alg 1 but her attitude may not be mature enough. 

Language: considering dialing back her Spanish and picking up some Latin for a couple years 🤔

Logic: Art of Argument is on the shelf, but might be done orally with the little brother (who was born analyzing arguments I swear...)

Recap since we're closer now: 

Build Your Library 7, for world geography, literature, poetry, art, world religions, skipping the gentle CM writing and the science 

Science: it's looking like a pile of books on earth and astronomy topics, I've looked at several curricula and I don't think she'd put up with any of them. MAYBE the Build Your Library Harry Potter units for botany (Herbology), astronomy, etc. She'd be more invested, and the previously mentioned pile could round it out nicely. (This might be too much for the average reader but not this kid. She devours books..) 

English: Writing With Skill YES, she's naturally good but stubborn and needs some scaffolding 
Grammar gets SO MUCH attitude but she's not fluent enough just yet. Analytical Grammar? We're to the get 'er done phase. *I* am anyway. :P  

Math: Jousting Armadillos; if it works well with her I'll probably continue in the series for alg 1

Language: We're scaling Spanish back to apps for practice and adding Latin for Children done with a younger brother (and older siblings jumping in for memory's sake). This is mostly inspired by her US Marine sibling realizing the little two haven't had any Latin and strongly urging us to not skip it. They've had quite a bit of Spanish already and have plenty years left for digging deeper, but we don't want two full size languages this year. 

Logic: Art of Argument aloud

No spelling or vocab. It's redundant for her at this point. 

Does that make her sound like a pill? She's a genuinely kind and caring kid who reliably does what is asked of her. She also happens to be the most stubborn person in the house. *shrug* We expect her to move mountains someday. ❤️😄 

• Like 2

Bumping because the Coronacrisis has knocked everything into a cocked hat, and I'm curious how/if others have changed their 7th grade plans.

We finally "chose" a history curriculum, as she ran across in a used book store a pile of old Milliken world history workbooks with transparencies, and announced she would eagerly learn history if only she could have a transparency to gaze at the whole time. Which seems to be true so far. Does anyone have any ideas for how to project a transparency onto a whiteboard?

Also we are perilously close to unschooling half the time, as she will suddenly take an interest in some obscure subject (currently architecture: thank you, Golden Guides) and memorize everything about it she can. 

Edited by Violet Crown

MUS Pre Algebra

LA: AG, Spelling Workout, Script n Scribe, English from the Roots Up, Written narrations and outlining, stack of books.

History: SOTW 4 with Presidents study and MP Story of the Great Republic.

Science:  Story of Inventions, AiG Machines and Motion,  MP Insects, Tiner Exploring Planet Earth

Geography: Draw Europe, Draw the World

Duolingo Spanish

Piano

Family studies: Bible with Dad, SCM enrichment, Our Constitution Rocks, Getting Started with Spanish

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:38 PM, scbusf said:

Here's what I have planned for 7th grade DD next year:

Literature/History/Writing: The History of the Horse from Beautiful Feet. DD is a horse-lover and she is SO excited about this.

Science: Elemental Science's Earth Science and Astronomy for the Logic Stage

Math: Finishing TT 7 now and then she'll probably do Math Mammoth 7.

Together:

Story of the World 3 (with 5th grader)

Fix-it Grammar - The Nose Tree (None of the kids have done any Fix-it Grammar, so we are starting here and doing it together)

5th grade DD will be doing a Harry Potter Unity Study, so 7th grader will probably join in on some of those activities!!!!

Extras:

Typing - Maybe TGTB?

Computer Coding of some sort

Changed up a few things ............

History of the Horse from Beautiful Feet

Math: CLE 7

Typing: TGTB

Science: Elemental Science's Earth Science and Astronomy for the Logic Stage with a few friends mini-co-op style

Together:

Blossom and Root's A River of Voices and BYL 5 for American History

Edited by scbusf

• 2 weeks later...

Math:  CLE 7

Latin: Cambridge Latin 

LA: written narrations, CLE Language Arts or Easy Grammar (this is a dreaded subject but we need to cover a bit more before dropping it and letting Latin be our grammar)
Literature: Little Women
                  Treasure Island
                  Hound of the Baskervilles
(Sherlock Holmes)
                  Adventures of Tom Sawyer
                  Iliad and Odyssey
(probably a retelling for this student, but maybe the actual one for Odyssey)
                  Watership Down
                  ....and more but I haven't decided yet

History: Abraham Lincoln's World, This Country of Ours, Of Courage Undaunted  to finish some American history, then start over with Augustus Caesar's World, Story of the Greeks and Story of the Romans

Science: Elements by Ellen McHenry, Apologia's General Science human body modules, Secrets of the Universe, and weekly microscope projects using a few different resources

Bible: Who Is My Neighbor?, How to be Your Own Selfish Pig, Community Bible Study, New City Catechism