Menu

Do you ever realize weird stuff about yourself?

MaBelle

Re: zombie apocalypse

I don't think zombies would be able to run. The zombies in the first two seasons of Walking Dead (the only seasons I watched) are somewhat believable.  They have locomotion and are able to ambulate. The zombies in World War Z? Nope, not having any of it. Turbo zombies? I don't think so.  

I used to surveille my surroundings and determine if the location was zombie safe. Could it be defended? Was significant fortification necessary? Was there adequate access to food and water? Granted, I was hanging around boy scouts between the ages of 13-18 but I found myself going through the process when they weren't around.

One time I caught myself wondering how the items in DH's truck could make a Dexter Kill Kit - tape, plastic, trash bags. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I think some people are just naturally curious and it comes out in all kinds of ways.  Random questions, googling something you’ll never need to know anything about (I google real estate from places I’ve never been, just for curiosity’s sake), wondering about the legitimacy of a zombie apocalypse.   Really, I think this stuff makes us smarter than the average person (ok maybe I’m trying to build myself up here, lolol).  We’re inquisitive people.  I’m ok with that.  And @MaBelle you never answered my question about the running zombies... lol. 

Lol! I’m legendary in my household for this. We could be talking at the dinner table when someone asks or wonders about something tangentially related to the conversation and then they laugh because I’m whipping out my iPad to find out. I just can’t go on wondering, say, where most commercial honey comes from or whatever. On the plus side, I’m a ringer for Jeopardy! 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’m ok with that.  And @MaBelle you never answered my question about the running zombies... lol. 

Sorry, been gone all day.  

Classic zombies just don't run. (Night of the Living Dead, The Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead)  They stumble along and are easy to avoid if not in huge groups.

Newer zombies (millennials?? New Age??) are fast as $hit.  So are South Korean zombies.

I'd never stand a chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Re: zombie apocalypse

I don't think zombies would be able to run. The zombies in the first two seasons of Walking Dead (the only seasons I watched) are somewhat believable.  They have locomotion and are able to ambulate. The zombies in World War Z? Nope, not having any of it. Turbo zombies? I don't think so.  

I used to surveille my surroundings and determine if the location was zombie safe. Could it be defended? Was significant fortification necessary? Was there adequate access to food and water? Granted, I was hanging around boy scouts between the ages of 13-18 but I found myself going through the process when they weren't around.

One time I caught myself wondering how the items in DH's truck could make a Dexter Kill Kit - tape, plastic, trash bags. 

OMgosh, are you me???

When I get in elevators or walk up flights of steps zombies are front and foremost in my mind.  If I'm carrying I could take out six, but I'm not always armed.  In my doctor's office I was wondering if I could get out the window, walking in the gym tonight I wondered if there was anything in the medical kit that I could puncture zombie skull with.

I love Dexter too.  Watched all seasons multiple times.

If anyone saw my search history I'd be arrested.  That includes my family, I erase it regularly, trust only the cat. 

How in hell can you watch only two seasons of TWD??

Edited by MaBelle
I had another thought.
  • Like 2

I think about the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse All. THE. TIME. It's especially when I'm doing something wasteful. Like, meh, I'll just cut this bad part off and toss it. Nope, if it was after the zombie apocalypse, I'd have to eat that. I'm not going to bother with this last bit of the toothpaste that got squeezed to  the bottom. But if it was after the apocalypse, I'd totally be milking that whole tube. I'll just brick over this bit of the yard. But if it was after the apocalypse, we'd have to pull up all the bricks and try to grow things to eat.

ETA: The funniest part is that I don't think I'm fit to survive any apocalypse scenarios. If nuclear bombs hit DC, I'm in some of the "dead in a day" blast zones and I'm super good with that.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3

But if it was after the apocalypse, I'd totally be milking that whole tube.

IDK. What's the percentage of survivors : zombies where you are? If there are a lot of zombies, they're presumably not too worried about dental hygiene, and you don't have too many people competing with you over the toothpaste stock. Plus I doubt it got looted too strenuously in the first wave. So long as you have a clear zone to the nearest stores and houses you can probably get yourself enough toothpaste to last you.

The funniest part is that I don't think I'm fit to survive any apocalypse scenarios. If nuclear bombs hit DC, I'm in some of the "dead in a day" blast zones and I'm super good with that. 

Then you definitely don't need to worry about your teeth. Loot a liquor store instead.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, MaBelle said:

Like, I can completely accept the zombie apocalypse scenario but I can't accept the fact that zombies could run.  

If I think too hard I confuse myself.

In the grocery the other day, I saw Lean Cuisine has a line called "Origins." I made me laugh so hard bc it sounded like superhero stuff. ..like a superhero origin story. So I spent some time over the next few days wondering what cheese ravioli's origin story would be and whether it would be more interesting than bean enchilada's.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, MaBelle said:

OMgosh, are you me???

When I get in elevators or walk up flights of steps zombies are front and foremost in my mind.  If I'm carrying I could take out six, but I'm not always armed.  In my doctor's office I was wondering if I could get out the window, walking in the gym tonight I wondered if there was anything in the medical kit that I could puncture zombie skull with.

I love Dexter too.  Watched all seasons multiple times.

If anyone saw my search history I'd be arrested.  That includes my family, I erase it regularly, trust only the cat. 

How in hell can you watch only two seasons of TWD??

TWD - I just lost interest in it. I'm not sure why.

--

I grew up near Norad. I just knew if a nuclear war started I was toast. Seeing all of the military transports and artillery was wonderful for an over active imagination. I had to walk every where as a youth (too poor to drive) and I would pretend I was a secret agent carrying mission critical information. I would avoid cars and people and find new routes home from wherever I was. Sometimes I would time myself or give myself little challenges - "If I can make it to that corner before the light turns green, I will have successfully evaded capture." I believe I saved the human race from annihilation at least a few dozen times. You can thank me later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I blurt out random things/questions all the time.  It's a family joke to try to follow the line back to where it came from.  "I thought of A, which made me think of B, which led to me saying C".  Once we were on a road trip and were quiet for a very long time, then I said, "Cantaloupes weren't very good this year".  Turns out we had gone by a field of something growing and I couldn't determine what it was.  After awhile, I thought about all the things that grow in my state that we are "famous" for.  One of those things was cantaloupes.  Makes perfect sense, see?  😊

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Quill said:

Lol! I’m legendary in my household for this. We could be talking at the dinner table when someone asks or wonders about something tangentially related to the conversation and then they laugh because I’m whipping out my iPad to find out. I just can’t go on wondering, say, where most commercial honey comes from or whatever. On the plus side, I’m a ringer for Jeopardy! 

Googling for information whenever you have a random thought is really the most useful part about the internet in my opinion.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, goldberry said:

I blurt out random things/questions all the time.  It's a family joke to try to follow the line back to where it came from.  "I thought of A, which made me think of B, which led to me saying C".  Once we were on a road trip and were quiet for a very long time, then I said, "Cantaloupes weren't very good this year".  Turns out we had gone by a field of something growing and I couldn't determine what it was.  After awhile, I thought about all the things that grow in my state that we are "famous" for.  One of those things was cantaloupes.  Makes perfect sense, see?  😊

I can’t even begin to catalogue all the times I have shared some fact or wondered about something only to realize that many people don’t care about those things and  find that very odd. 

Once, I went out to dinner with a group of people to a fairly famous restaraunt in my area with “Tollhouse” in the name. At dinner, I wondered about this part of the name. A couple of people expressed mild curiosity about it as well, but when I got home, I looked it up. Then, I emailed my companions to tell them what I had learned: the to-me-alone fascinating history of the building that was once literally a tollhouse and is now a restaurant. I slowly became aware, though, that others did not find this fascinating. They were amazed I bothered to find out. 😐

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I critique clothing in zombie movies. Like if the end happened in 2012, why are you wearing that trendy new shirt. I think about what backpack (I'm a bit backpack obsessed) I would take with me, then I realize rule #1 is cardio and I'm doomed, so I'd have to shelter in place. I'd be the crazy woman guarding her personal library. Tag line - she survived the apocalypse and learned physics and Japanese in the same year!

I fully embrace my weirdness, but not everyone gets to see it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think we all must be a little strange...

My main oddity: I won't breathe people's air. Meaning, if a stranger walks by me and I feel that waft of air from their passing, I hold my breath. I don't want to breathe in their perfume/BO/contaminated air. (I only do this at the mall or Walmart -- not home.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

I critique clothing in zombie movies. Like if the end happened in 2012, why are you wearing that trendy new shirt. I think about what backpack (I'm a bit backpack obsessed) I would take with me, then I realize rule #1 is cardio and I'm doomed, so I'd have to shelter in place. I'd be the crazy woman guarding her personal library. Tag line - she survived the apocalypse and learned physics and Japanese in the same year!

Double Tap is my favorite rule.  I mean, come on!  Duh.  Also works for serial killers.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

DD6 wailed so loudly everyone in the whole room heard her. “I am sad! I thought there would be lots of dead people to look at and there’s only one!!!”

My daughter literally sobbed with disappointment for 20 minutes because there weren’t a multitude of dead bodies for her to inspect. 

My uncle would have laughed until he cried.

That's hilarious! It's also a tribute to your uncle that he would have thought it was funny.

12 hours ago, MaBelle said:

So are South Korean zombies.

I had no idea South Korean zombies are different.

I wouldn't survive the zombie apocalypse. I'm a terrible runner and I'm clumsy. I'd be the one in the group who tripped over a pebble or maybe my own feet. Dh or another loved one would try to come back and help me and I'd have to yell "Go! Remember me but save yourself!" Then I'd be the reason the rest of the group survived, at least that time, because the zombies would stop to eat me, giving everyone else time to get away. 

12 hours ago, MaBelle said:

Do not trust the cat. Never trust the cat. 

56 minutes ago, Quill said:

I went out to dinner with a group of people to a fairly famous restaraunt in my area with “Tollhouse” in the name. At dinner, I wondered about this part of the name. A couple of people expressed mild curiosity about it as well, but when I got home, I looked it up. Then, I emailed my companions to tell them what I had learned: the to-me-alone fascinating history of the building that was once literally a tollhouse and is now a restaurant. I slowly became aware, though, that others did not find this fascinating. They were amazed I bothered to find out. 😐

I would have found that interesting. Fortunately I have some friends who would have thought so too. I'd have been selective when deciding who to include in that email because I also have some friends who would have probably thought "Bless her heart for researching that and telling us the story". 

We're all weird in our own weird ways. My search history would have even my family scratching their heads, especially because of the variety of weird stuff I look up. Also, I'm a history nerd. I have many weird bits of lesser known history in my head and what's not stored there I often look up. There is often something niggling at my brain saying, "Wait. I read something about this. What was it?" Then I'd google.

A friend of mine reads both novels and non-fiction books on her iPad. Sometimes it takes her forever to finish a book because she's constantly looking up something she just read about in the book. I'm not much better. I like to pretend I am because I have a dedicated ereader (Kindle Paperwhite) on which it's not at all easy to look things up. In truth though I often read with my phone next to me and will pick up my phone to look up something I just read about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

Sometimes zombies seem to be wearing 70s or 80s clothing. Didn't you just die and turn last year? Why does it look like you became a zombie in 1978 rather than 2018?

• Like 1

We're all weird in our own weird ways. My search history would have even my family scratching their heads, especially because of the variety of weird stuff I look up. Also, I'm a history nerd. I have many weird bits of lesser known history in my head and what's not stored there I often look up. There is often something niggling at my brain saying, "Wait. I read something about this. What was it?" Then I'd google.

A friend of mine reads both novels and non-fiction books on her iPad. Sometimes it takes her forever to finish a book because she's constantly looking up something she just read about in the book. I'm not much better. I like to pretend I am because I have a dedicated ereader (Kindle Paperwhite) on which it's not at all easy to look things up. In truth though I often read with my phone next to me and will pick up my phone to look up something I just read about. 

Oh, yeah. I do this too. I looked a lot of things up while I was just reading The Year Of Living Danishly. 

I am slightly zombie obsessed  I’m also big on emergency preparedness. I aim for zombie apocalypse readiness because I figure that’d cover any actual base that might come up, lol.  I’m definitely not there yet. I haven’t even bought barbed wire for my bat. 

I’m sure there are a million stranger things about me.  I can ruminate over just about anything. Like, I don’t understand the concept of people getting bored. There are too many weird and fascinating things in the world to think about to ever run out of interesting ideas.

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I think we all must be a little strange...

My main oddity: I won't breathe people's air. Meaning, if a stranger walks by me and I feel that waft of air from their passing, I hold my breath. I don't want to breathe in their perfume/BO/contaminated air. (I only do this at the mall or Walmart -- not home.) 

I do this too! I hate other people’s air! I have a very sensitive nose. My house full of males calls it my superpower. I adore dogs, so I call it just another awesome way of having kinship with them. 🙂 

1 minute ago, mmasc said:

I do this too! I hate other people’s air! I have a very sensitive nose. My house full of males calls it my superpower. I adore dogs, so I call it just another awesome way of having kinship with them. 🙂 

Oh, thank goodness! My family thinks I'm neurotic b/c of this, lol. I'm not! We're totally normal!!

• Haha 1

Just now, alisoncooks said:

Oh, thank goodness! My family thinks I'm neurotic b/c of this, lol. I'm not! We're totally normal!!

Exactly...there are two of us in the world, so that *must* mean we are normal. 🤣

sometimes I hold my breath in public restrooms too. They don’t even have to smell; I just don’t want the air. I’ll just take one big breath before opening the door, do my business quickly and take another big breath inside my shirt, wash hands and speed out. Ok...typing this stuff out is making me feel weirder than I thought I was...🤔

On 3/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, Quill said:

I struggle to restrain this tendency because it's one of my husband's pet peeves: "Why can't people just be content to 'wonder' about things anymore? Why do they have to immediately pull out their phones?" So I have to try to stuff down my curiosity until a little later.

As to this overall thread? I'm pretty sure I've found my tribe. Only I'm not good at trivia shows or games. I know lots of trivia, but it's not the kind anybody asks.

ETA: About zombies...meh, never have thought about them. Maybe because I'm so slow and clumsy I'd never get away. I have lots of other weird things I think about though. I definitely do the train of thought thing (cantaloupes). I try to explain the train, and even my family (who is also quirky) starts to look at me funny.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 3

I constantly google random things that I think of, but I'm also good at Jeopardy and random obscure trivia.   I read a ton and remember a lot of what I read.

Zombies have the same muscles, etc. as the living person did so theoretically couldn't run or climb or move any better than the living person.  On the other hand, they don't feel pain which is what keeps people from doing things past their point of ability.  On the other hand, zombies doing things past that point would be injuring the muscles, bones, etc. and therefore would slow down once those injuries were severe enough that things just don't work the way they are supposed to anymore.  

Rigor mortis is evidently not a factor since the zombie virus causes loosening of the stiffening. 

I did a surviving the zombie apocalypse class and I just love reading dystopia of all types.   I bought a homesteading guide (used but still) just in case.  And I sometimes think how defensible/livable after TSHTF we are.  Very livable with a river, woods, deer, squirrels, off the beaten path.  Less so for zombies cause lots of windows and no second floor (best survival is go up and get rid of stairs, unless they are Max Brook zombies, then your screwed).   No guns, but bows & arrows.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I totally hold my breath in super stinky public places since I found out that when we smell it's actually minute particles of the item we are smelling entering our nose.  Totally gross when you think about it.

I LOVE the smell of cooking onions and garlic.  (whoops, wrong thread 😜 )

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Oh yeah, I totally hold my breath in super stinky public places since I found out that when we smell it's actually minute particles of the item we are smelling entering our nose.  Totally gross when you think about it.

I LOVE the smell of cooking onions and garlic.  (whoops, wrong thread 😜 )

Yes, I hold my breath when I am walking through the bakery area of the grocery store.  I am allergic to wheat and have had allergic reactions from smelling bread bake.  😞

I can't really hold my breath in a restroom.  I have five girls and we are in there for.ev.er.

On 3/12/2019 at 2:58 PM, Indigo Blue said:

The thought occurred to me last week....How were white captives treated by the Native Americans? Now I'm obsessed and am reading the old autobiographies of several captives.

Well....you could look up my badass great-great++++ grandmother Hannah Dustin. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose captors have killed her baby. 

Generally speaking I tend to reserve most of my sympathy for Native Americans--but this time I think they [the adults only] pretty much got what they had coming to them. I hadn't remembered that she killed children, too. 😞 There's no excuse for that, not ever.

Edited by MercyA