Menu

So that happened.

Carrie12345

My nephew was born about 6am. In a parking lot. ?

After waiting over an hour to hear that mom and baby were officially safe and sound, and receiving a picture of her shocked face in the ambulance, I was able to laugh and laugh.

She had been sent home from the birthing center just a few hours earlier.

• Like 25
  • Haha 15

One of my nieces was born in the hospital parking garage. My sil's mother drove the wrong way up the ramps, when my brother jumped out to get help, sil's  mother took off to find someone else. My 2 yo neice was strapped in the car seat in the back seat. An oncology nurse going off duty hear my sil screaming, kneeling in the front seat. Nurse struggled to get the door unlocked. When nurse finally got in the car, she said "Let me take a look" and out squirted a baby. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

That's why we switched to home birth. Baby 1 was close to being born in the triage area, and I really didn't want a parking lot/side of the road delivery (which baby 3 would have been!) Nothing against doctors or hospitals; I'd just rather have the midwife in my prepared home than only my husband in a not-prepared location.

• Like 4

@Carrie12345  was the baby born in her car or the ambulance?

What an exciting story for that child to tell in the future!

I had a friend who had two home births due to lack of insurance.  For her third child, she had insurance and was excited to have a hospital birth.  Baby was born at the house before she could get to the hospital.  She’s a strong woman- the kind who has a baby on a Friday and is at church on Sunday serving as usual. Anyway, the kicker was the hospital still charged her for the birth because they didn’t know how to charge just for her showing up after the baby was born.

• Like 1

Just now, school17777 said:

@Carrie12345  was the baby born in her car or the ambulance?

What an exciting story for that child to tell in the future!

I had a friend who had two home births due to lack of insurance.  For her third child, she had insurance and was excited to have a hospital birth.  Baby was born at the house before she could get to the hospital.  She’s a strong woman- the kind who has a baby on a Friday and is at church on Sunday serving as usual. Anyway, the kicker was the hospital still charged her for the birth because they didn’t know how to charge just for her showing up after the baby was born.

He was born in the car. I'm not sure when in the process our mom called the ambulance.
They had gone to the birthing center in the middle of the night, but the midwife insisted there was no reason for her to be there yet.  Baby Boy disagreed!!!

• Like 2

Wow.  What a story!!  Congratulations.  

My last was born at home because my 2nd labor ws 4 hours from me eating a PBJ sandwich at 4 am thinking something feels different today, to holding my baby in my arms.  We planned a home birth for our 3rd because we felt it safer to have the baby here (with a trained midwife who had me calling her any time I felt "different') than on the side of the road somewhere.  Good thing because it was less than 2 hours between calling my midwife at 4 am because I just felt "different" to me having the baby in my arms.  When she said she was on her way I thought it was overkill.  No sooner than I hung up the phone did the roller coaster go past the point of no return and sped along at 90 miles per hour.  There is no way dh could have even gotten me into a car.  

• Like 1

I had a friend who delivered at home (accidentally) assisted by her 14yo ds who was on the phone with 9-1-1.  She said she had a bit of an upset stomach, sat down on her (white) couch and 10 minutes later asked her ds to bring her the phone because she was going to call her dh.  Her water broke while she was talking so she hung up on her dh, she called 9-1-1 and handed the phone to her ds.  The baby arrived before the ambulance.

I almost didn't make it with #3.  I woke up at 3am at 36 weeks (after being on bed-rest with pre-term labor since week 20) feeling uncomfortable.  Called the on-call doctor who "guaranteed" I wasn't in labor.  He said I would only embarrass myself by going in & having to go home.  It was about a 35 minute drive, so Dh hustled me out the door and my the time we got in through the emergency entrance I was in transition & everyone was yelling "Don't Push!"  Dd arrived in the hall between the emergency room and the elevator, with me half- sitting on a gurney,  a nurse kneeling on the gurney with me & the doctor, who said I wasn't in labor, running down the hall toward us.  He apologized profusely.  He said I was too calm and because I could talk, I clearly wasn't in enough pain to be in labor.

Babies have their own time table.

Congratulations, Auntie!

Amber in SJ

• Like 2

That’s a fun story!

So pushing with my last three vaginal deliveries, thankfully all planned homebirths, was super fast. My waters broke with the babies still high, and I was holding them each about twenty minutes later.  My last labor was only an hour and a quarter and three pushes, and that was with less than ideal positioning. 

A homebirth is ill-advised this time. Induction is planned for around 39 weeks. Thankfully, four out of my five spontaneous births have been after 40 weeks, so the likelihood of going into labor before induction is slim. But I live 45 minutes from the hospital and over an hour during rush hour. Every one of my labors has started in the wee morning hours. A car birth is very, very possible.

8 minutes ago, katilac said:

I'm pretty jealous of all these fast labor stories! I would have willingly given birth in a public bathroom if it meant shaving a few hours off labor. 

I was just sitting here thinking how jealous I am if these quick labor stories. I have long, long, long labors.

I had all homebirths, about 9hours labor with the first, and then last came in a very overdue rush, beating the midwife by a few minutes, but 21 days past his very well known due date.

I'm pretty upset at how dd's first birth went, but I'm keeping my mouth shut because she doesn't seem upset about it, and she's got to think, process, and ultimately own what happened and do differently next time, if that's what she wants.  (She had unnecessary medical interventions due to the medical professionals she chose.) 

In any case, she went from 2cm to birth in 90 minutes, as a primip.  But interestingly, baby girl had been very, very well engaged from early in the pregnancy, never floated, flipped or turned, so when dd's water broke, that's was it.  

11 hours ago, xahm said:

That's why we switched to home birth. Baby 1 was close to being born in the triage area, and I really didn't want a parking lot/side of the road delivery (which baby 3 would have been!) Nothing against doctors or hospitals; I'd just rather have the midwife in my prepared home than only my husband in a not-prepared location.

Yep. That was our thought process for #4. We made it to the hospital for #3 within single digit minutes of his birth... 

It's not that unusual. I had a friend deliver in the hospital foyer & one almost in the hospital lift.

Congrats to your family op, glad that mum and bub are both well!

Edited by LMD

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 11:21 PM, maize said:

I was just sitting here thinking how jealous I am if these quick labor stories. I have long, long, long labors.

I've done both. DS 19 was over 40 hours of labor. DD 1 was  2 hours, maybe a bit less. Honestly, the 40 hour one was easier in a lot of ways, you have time to stay ahead of the pain...it ramps up gradually. The 2 hour one I was basically dropped directly into transition. It was so so intense. My midwife said that the short ones have all the pain of the long ones, just all at once. BUT...I will say that recovery was easier with that short one just because I wasn't exhausted. (other labors were 9 hours and 10 hours).