Menu

Would a shower curtain improve your impression of a potential rental?

Ginevra

I’m willing to try anything and think a pretty shower curtain will help us get a good tenant in this rental. We really, really, really need to get a reliable renter in there; we have had only two tenants since we owned it and neither worked out and both cost us thousands of dollars. I have been cleaning the rental and I staged some areas (i.e., porch) in order to look more “homey” in the pictures that will go online.I’m staging it farmhouse-ish. One of the bathrooms is legit as boring as a bathroom could possibly be - it is tiny, and everything is white. I was thinking of buying a vintage-toile shower curtain to liven it up a little in there. And maybe a small vase with tiny flowers in it on the sink vanity or toilet tank top. (DHis sure to think this is unnecessary, but curtains I am seeing that work are only like $25-35, and if it helps attract a better tenant, that is worth many times more than $35.) 

The one thing I view as a huge perk is that the house is walking distance to a college and town.  (I plan to include a photo of the college entry in the property photos; it is a feature for sure.) The area on the whole is somewhat depressed, though and crime and drug abuse is elevated. 

Shower curtain yes? Shower curtain no? 

No. Renter may want to put their own shower curtain, because they would assume the one in the apartment be the one used by former tenants, and they might find that icky.

ETA: If you decide to go with a shower curtain, I would pick something more neutral. This flowery pattern will be liked by some and disliked by others

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

No. Renter may want to put their own shower curtain, because they would assume the one in the apartment be the one used by former tenants, and they might find that icky.

That was one concern I had. 

For me, flowers in the bathroom would not be a selling point. I'd look for c.l.e.a.n, and white sounds perfect. I always preferred to personalize my own apartment rather than "inherit" my landlord's taste

ETA: Oh wait, you're just talking about *pictures*, not what the tenant will actually see when they tour?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Just now, regentrude said:

For me, flowers in the bathroom would not be a selling point. I'd look for c.l.e.a.n, and white sounds perfect. I always preferred to personalize my own apartment than "inherit" my landlord's taste

This is exactly what I was just going to say.?

• Like 1

I would put it up through showing the apartment but probably take it down after it was rented unless you have a specific conversation about the curtain.  I would probably buy one I would use again or just buy a cheap colourful liner.

• Like 3

If you feel like you need to put up a shower curtain to improve the look of the room, go with a plain white liner.  People have different tastes.  You don't want someone to see the one you picked and cringe, because that might influence their attitude toward the whole apartment.  If you are leaving it up for them, a white liner would allow them to use it as is, or they could add a colorful fabric curtain to coordinate with their towels.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, klmama said:

If you feel like you need to put up a shower curtain to improve the look of the room, go with a plain white liner.  People have different tastes.  You don't want someone to see the one you picked and cringe, because that might influence their attitude toward the whole apartment.  If you are leaving it up for them, a white liner would allow them to use it as is, or they could add a colorful fabric curtain to coordinate with their towels.

Yeah, but then it is just making the sterile-doctor’s-bathroom effect that much worse.  I would leave it curtainless before I would hang an all-white one. 

48 minutes ago, regentrude said:

For me, flowers in the bathroom would not be a selling point. I'd look for c.l.e.a.n, and white sounds perfect. I always preferred to personalize my own apartment rather than "inherit" my landlord's taste

ETA: Oh wait, you're just talking about *pictures*, not what the tenant will actually see when they tour?

Well, I am talking about pictures, but I’m also expecting to leave it in place for touring. If they sign on, we could ask them if they want it to stay up or would prefer to purchase their own. 

The items I added to the porch are there for *only* the pictures, as well as things I plan to put inside to stage a few roooms (i.e., a basket of lemons on the kitchen counter). These items are my own belongings, so I put them there just for the pictures. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Honestly, shower curtains are the last thing I am looking for in a rental. 

Clean, good condition, roomy, close to amenitities, safe....those are my concerns. 

Yeah, mine too, but this is not the highest economic pool of tenants. I’m just hoping to get the best, most reliable candidates out of that economic level. I know such people exist. I recall when a friend of mine was attending that college she rented an apartment on the second level of a home right in that area. So, that’s what I am hoping for. A good, reliable, clean-living tenant who needs to be in that location.

Yes, for pictures I would add an attractive shower curtain in a too-white bathroom. Maybe not that one, as I find the flowers a bit feminine and busy. Bed, Bath & Beyond or even WalMart likely have an inexpensive bright curtain that would appeal to your target renter.

• Like 2

Over a decade ago we sold our house. We kept the colors the previous owners had which were dark and atypical. It wasn't selling. Feedback was bad on the colors. We painted the whole house in neutral shades. Then it was too blah. We had a friend help us stage it. We bought some nice shower curtains, towels, candles, baskets, etc. and put those in the bathrooms. She loaned us a few pieces of furniture to stage in the kitchen and living room since it was vacant. 

People couldn't see past the colors of the walls (or didn't want to have to paint over those vivid colors), but they could see past the shower curtains and towels if they hated those. 

All that say, for us, several years ago that made the difference. 

• Like 3

Depending on how much effort you want to go to, you could definitely soft-stage it (shower curtain, towels, art work, candles, etc in various rooms). If I were doing that, I would remove everything before the renter took possession.  

We sold an empty house a couple of years ago and our realtor strongly suggested we do it.

• Like 3

Probably not, but I think I'm weird.

I understand that in study after study, no matter what we're all saying, most people actually are. Little details in staging make a big difference for buyers and renters.

Now, whether a shower curtain specifically is enough... Meh. I'm thinking that if it's literally the only thing you do, it actually won't do much. I wouldn't get anything that busy and specific regardless. I'd go with something light, simple and modern. But I think things like window blinds and curtains are more likely to make a difference. As are things like appliances, paint colors, a little bit of landscaping, some extra shelving or a closet that has better configuration... I'm just trying to think of the other sorts of things that make a difference in staging.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Since the neighborhood is going downhill and you haven't had luck with your previous renters, have you thought about selling it instead of trying to rent it out?

No. Don’t really want to sell it at this point. I don’t really think the neighborhood is going downhill, just that it’s a city property and has some of the aspects that often go along with that. The particular city is notorious for drug abuse and that seems born out by former tenants. 

I personally think it’s charming, all things considered. It is a 1940s farmhouse style. It is small and has some of the quirks one might expect from a house so old, but I wouldn’t be opposed to living there were I younger and either childless or starting out. 

The other bathroom (not the subject of this post) is all vintage - black and white tiles, clawfoot tub, vintage sink (ok, honestly I hate the sink though) and built-ins with a mirror on the front. It’s a pretty cool bathroom. That one has a shower curtain right now from the prior tenant. (It is not one I like and I might replace it as well. But that one really could be white to tone down the busy tile work.) 

• Like 1

We looked at several dozen rentals earlier this year before settling on one, and it was completely empty. The pictures online were horrible (bags of trash, light fixtures pulled out and hanging, etc.).

What sold me is that it was super clean and everything was in working order. The flower beds and bushes had all been mulched and all of the windows washed.The appliances in the kitchen and the furnace were all less than a year old. It's definitely rough around the edges (1980's house with minimal updating), but it works for us.

The property management company did a criminal background check, a credit check, and called my employers and two personal references. Apparently they had rejected several other people, but we got it.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Guys, really no to the staging - as a renter who is very experienced at looking at rentals. It doesn't help. It really doesn't. I don't want to see signs of othe people living there. In fact, it puts me off. I want to see a place empty as possible, and not be distracted by 'decoration'. 

Tips on getting a good tenant - make sure your place is secure - window locks etc. Make sure everything is in working order, and the paint looks fresh. Give the tenant enough time to inspect the place. Find the rent sweet spot - don't charge too much for the area, but don't charge too little. Offer a decent length lease, and security of tenure. Plenty of storage is always a good thing.

Interesting. I definitely have heard what @Farrar said as true - that people are influenced by subtle signs of it being a home and not having it empty; that they want “help” imagining it as a space they can live in. 

It does have a “basement” (old cellar type, not a living space) which is handy for storage. There is a tall, locked gate fence in the tiny yard. Double locking storm door and interior door in front. There is enough parking area off street to park two cars, which is rare for those old, tiny city homes. I think everything is in working order, but dh needs to repair the drywall in the kitchen where the roof leaked (it is fixed now). The appliances are not very new, unfortunately; I would have put in new ones but DH did not ask my opinion on it and bought “scratch and dent” appliances. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, G5052 said:

We looked at several dozen rentals earlier this year before settling on one, and it was completely empty. The pictures online were horrible (bags of trash, light fixtures pulled out and hanging, etc.).

What sold me is that it was super clean and everything was in working order. The flower beds and bushes had all been mulched and all of the windows washed.The appliances in the kitchen and the furnace were all less than a year old. It's definitely rough around the edges (1980's house with minimal updating), but it works for us.

The property management company did a criminal background check, a credit check, and called my employers and two personal references. Apparently they had rejected several other people, but we got it.

Interesting you said windows washed, because that is one thing I plan to do. I dont think a tenant has ever washed them and the former tenant put @$#% stickers on the windows, back door, mailbox, mirrors....I want to scrape and de-goo them. They look like crap. 

I have definitely seen awful photos online sometimes. I’m wondering who would take pictures of a room with a pile of clothes on the floor or dishes in a sink. 

To note... I've never seen a study about renting, but homes that are staged sell significantly faster than homes that aren't and for a little bit more money (I think the amount of time on the market is easier to quantify for the studies?). I really think this is one of those things that we think doesn't matter, but actually does - at least for the majority of people. If the property has flaws though, I don't think it'll hide them. It's more like it highlights it, makes it more appealing if people are on the fence or choosing between different options.

ETA: I think this board in general has a lot of rebels though. We homeschool, we often don't buy into things that others do. It's possible we're more immune to this dress up business than the average person? But I can't even begin to name how many times I've watched HGTV and seen people make a dumb choice over something cosmetic. You know you have too.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, Quill said:

Interesting you said windows washed, because that is one thing I plan to do. I dont think a tenant has ever washed them and the former tenant put @$#% stickers on the windows, back door, mailbox, mirrors....I want to scrape and de-goo them. They look like crap. 

I have definitely seen awful photos online sometimes. I’m wondering who would take pictures of a room with a pile of clothes on the floor or dishes in a sink. 

There's a whole website for that. It's amazing.
http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/
You won't believe it, but all the pictures are from actual real estate listings.

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Farrar said:

To note... I've never seen a study about renting, but homes that are staged sell significantly faster than homes that aren't and for a little bit more money (I think the amount of time on the market is easier to quantify for the studies?). I really think this is one of those things that we think doesn't matter, but actually does - at least for the majority of people. If the property has flaws though, I don't think it'll hide them. It's more like it highlights it, makes it more appealing if people are on the fence or choosing between different options.

ETA: I think this board in general has a lot of rebels though. We homeschool, we often don't buy into things that others do. It's possible we're more immune to this dress up business than the average person? But I can't even begin to name how many times I've watched HGTV and seen people make a dumb choice over something cosmetic. You know you have too.

I agree 100%.  People say it doesn't matter, but it does.  Nobody goes into a rental and fills out a spreadsheet then runs it through a formula to compare it to other rentals, we make complex decisions emotionally.  (how safe, clean, affordable is this place compared to the others and how much do I value those)  You want to make the place clean, and that means clean kitchen and bathroom, but also nothing sticking out as worn or odd.  If there are old, mismatched, or personalized switches and covers then replace them, etc etc. 

• Like 2

If you want good, reliable tenants, you're probably going to want to do some updating. Old appliances, old fixtures- You aren't going to attract the kind of people you want, but rather people who don't care what the place looks like and as such, won't take care of it. If you want people who will take care of it, it has to look like you as the landlords take care of it and keep it updated and functional.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Mergath said:

If you want good, reliable tenants, you're probably going to want to do some updating. Old appliances, old fixtures- You aren't going to attract the kind of people you want, but rather people who don't care what the place looks like and as such, won't take care of it. If you want people who will take care of it, it has to look like you as the landlords take care of it and keep it updated and functional.

I totally agree and have said this to dh. How much he agrees with me on this point varies, though. 

The bathroom that is the subject of this post is new(ish). That bathroom did not exist when we bought the house, only the retro bath did. It’s basic and oh-so-white, but virtually everyone wants at least two bathrooms. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Best advice I got when we were landlords:  look at the prospective renters’ car/s. It’s an indication of how well they take care of material goods. 

Hahahahahahaha. 

Sorry, I don't mean to laugh. It's just that we live in a duplex, and our last neighbors were college-aged guys who adored their fancy vehicles but left their unit in such poor condition that we could smell rotting garbage in the shared laundry room.

• Sad 1

I'm not a landlord, but I was thinking more about the contents of the car.  I've seen several 4-door cars so filled with trash - literal trash - that it came up to the top of the back seat and in front there was only room for the driver. That's the type of thing that would concern me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The location and the condition are the things that will most influence your ability to find good tenants.  You can't do anything about the location but it sounds like it's in good proximity to a university. 

Maybe contact the university and see if you can post the listing with departments where professors or grad students might be needing a place to live.  

WRT condition, fresh paint, flooring/carpets in good condition and clean newish appliances all matter a lot more than decoration IMO.  Definitely get the stickers off the window (detachol makes that easy).  A few neutral decorations can't hurt but I agree with others:  as clean as possible.  Pay professionals to make it all shine.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

There's a whole website for that. It's amazing.
http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/
You won't believe it, but all the pictures are from actual real estate listings.

I was scrolling through the site and one of the pictures not to far from the beginning of the page had two toilets right next to each other. We considered looking at that house a few months ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I wouldn't do the shower curtain. I literally just rented a 1940s apartment with a tiny, all white bathroom. I put up a shower curtain I already owned, an all-white one with a waffle weave. I put down a dark grey fluffy rug. As a renter and someone who is used to personalizing a space, a shower curtain is one area where I can add my own taste. 

What am I looking for in a bathroom? This one had a permanent shower rod (helpful), a large rain shower type shower head (huge plus), updated toilet (small, but powerful flushing), storage in the medicine cabinet (original), and decent towel rods. 

This entire apartment has the 1940s quirks, plaster walls, uneven ceiling from many patch jobs, great hardwood floors, original kitchen cabinets with 1940s farmhouse style sink with wall faucet, original doors and doorknobs. The living and dining walls are painted a deep burgundy, the appliances are updated - not stainless, but clean white. What struck me is that the sinks, appliances and tub were spotless. the 1940s cast iron tub sparkled. There is ample AC and heating and security. There are mini-blinds (cheap vinyl ones) on every window. 

For home shopping, I really do prefer to see staging. For a rental, I was surprised how distracting I found photos that included stuff. I was looking at layout, price, and location. 

I pre-shopped heavily online because I could only come visit once or twice. By the time I actually looked at the apartment, I knew who the landlord manager was, their online reputation, what utilities they paid, what other apartments in the area went for, and had a good idea of the layout. I also had the added requirement that they would take a less than 12 month lease because I want to only be here in the school year. Other places were charging nearly double to do a 10 month lease versus a 12. This is the first apartment I looked at and I signed the application that day. I had already discounted many in initial drive by because of awkward location and this one was my top choice. 

Renting it may hinge upon correct marketing. If this school has graduate programs I suggest seeing what they have for graduate housing. If the crime and drug abuse is so bad that kids can't play outside, then families probably aren't going to be looking. If it's not that bad, still make sure you have ample lighting on the outside of the house, maybe some motion sensor lights, no overgrown shrubs, stuff like that. 

I used hot pads and zillow for most of my searches. The other thing I would suggest is that you have something in your listing to make it memorable. I looked at probably hundreds of places online, it was hard to remember what I had and had not looked at initially before I started narrowing my criteria. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, regentrude said:

ETA: If you decide to go with a shower curtain, I would pick something more neutral. This flowery pattern will be liked by some and disliked by others

What is icky about a used shower curtain? Showers in rentals the require curtains always have them as otherwise you are implying that you don't care if they slop water everywhere.  If you think it is dirty you Chuck it in the wash.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kiwik said:

What is icky about a used shower curtain? Showers in rentals the require curtains always have them as otherwise you are implying that you don't care if they slop water everywhere.  If you think it is dirty you Chuck it in the wash.

Mold and mildew in the folds. It's another thing you'd have to inspect, and it detracts from the clean appearance.  Ymmv

• Like 1

I don't think a shower curtain would sway my opinion of a rental one way or another. It's just one more thing I'd inspect for cleanliness. And even if I did rent I'd more than likely take it down and replace it with one of my own choosing. If I were browsing pictures online I'd much rather see the tub/shower than a curtain. If I couldn't see the tub I'd wonder what the curtain was hiding. But I'm all about clean. I'd much rather see a clean, well caulked tub/shower than I would a flowery curtain.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, klmama said:

I'm not a landlord, but I was thinking more about the contents of the car.  I've seen several 4-door cars so filled with trash - literal trash - that it came up to the top of the back seat and in front there was only room for the driver. That's the type of thing that would concern me.

I have seen this too and I would say this is quite a strong hint as to what they would be like as a tenant. 

With the car itself, I have mixed feeling about using this as a gauge. One time we met with a potential tenant and his car literally would not start at first at the end of the showing. He had to do some sort of rolling clutch-pop or something. DH found that very concerning in the manner Patty Joanna describes - can he come up with rent? Does he not take care of his things?

We did rent to his family. They are not our best tenants, but they do always pay their rent (eventually). My general impression is that they are not good at managing their resources. 

16 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't think a shower curtain would sway my opinion of a rental one way or another. It's just one more thing I'd inspect for cleanliness. And even if I did rent I'd more than likely take it down and replace it with one of my own choosing. If I were browsing pictures online I'd much rather see the tub/shower than a curtain. If I couldn't see the tub I'd wonder what the curtain was hiding. But I'm all about clean. I'd much rather see a clean, well caulked tub/shower than I would a flowery curtain.

I do not plan to draw the curtain across so you can’t see the shower or tub at all. Just plan to have it collapsed at one side to add a little interest to such a plain bathroom. 

Especially with the vintage clawfoot tub. I want it seen because it is a feature. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Quill said:

Yes, the pictures were so bad, I can see why people passed this one by. But, it was there when we needed it!

It was actually the cleanest of all the rentals we looked at, including several that were 20-30 years newer. Go figure!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Quill said:

I do not plan to draw the curtain across so you can’t see the shower or tub at all. Just plan to have it collapsed at one side to add a little interest to such a plain bathroom. 

Especially with the vintage clawfoot tub. I want it seen because it is a feature. 

If you're just going to have the curtain collapsed, I don't think it makes any difference--that doesn't sound like it would soften the room any, and I think shower curtains are cheap enough that most people would replace it with their own style anyway. Maybe just some fresh flowers next to the hand soap on the sink, and of course a clean hand towel. 

For the claw foot tub, I would definitely use curtains to show that it might be possible for the tub to not make a mess. I hate claw foot tubs with a passion and are an absolute deal breaker for me--they aren't a feature for everyone and could be a red flag. I wouldn't suggest hiding it of course, but I would stage curtains around the back side at the least.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MEmama said:

For the claw foot tub, I would definitely use curtains to show that it might be possible for the tub to not make a mess. I hate claw foot tubs with a passion and are an absolute deal breaker for me--they aren't a feature for everyone and could be a red flag. 

Count me in. It would be a pain to clean under a claw foot tub.

• Like 2

Well a WTMer has made it into my dreams for the first time.  I guess that just goes to show me not to read threads in the middle of the night after the dogs have woken me up.  Quill, I had a  dream where I was touring your rental.  It was interesting what image my brain used for your dh, actor Patrick Wilson because I just finished watching the season of Fargo that he is in.  But you were you since we've met and my brain could picture you. In my dream, a curtain did NOT matter, ha.  But nothing was saving the scary house in my dreams.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Best advice I got when we were landlords:  look at the prospective renters’ car/s. It’s an indication of how well they take care of material goods. 

Oh gosh. I grew up in a trailer dump of an area (drugs, violence, arrests... awful place) the joke was this “the dumpier the place. The nicer the car. I can’t tell you how many times we’d pass a trialer with weeds grown up in the lawn, shrubs coverIng the windows, kids toys everywhere outdoors and we’d see a pristine brand new luxury or sports car. 

• Confused 1