Menu

UGH! I am so fashion challeneged....I need help!!!

ProudGrandma

I am 52 years old...and I am struggling to find clothes that don't make me look 25 or 85....It seems like everything I try on makes me look like I am trying to be a teenager again (or a 20 something)...or I am knocking on the door to old age. 

I am small and petite.  I do not wear dressy clothes, except once a week to church (and even then, I don't dress up that much...nice pants and top and the occasional dress).

I wear jeans a lot...but haven't ventured out into the world of yoga pants...I feel like they make me look like a college student...however, I do know several ladies my age who wear yoga pants and they look so GREAT in them...so...I don't know.

And then there are shoes...I so much want to find a cute pair of shoes to wear with jeans that aren't sneakers...I tried on a pair at target yesterday...they were sure cute on the rack..and they would be cute on a younger person...but not me...at 52. (they were the kind of tennis shoe that have the white sole and the canvas tops...some are striped, solid or patterned...the ones I tried on were a light tan..(not the ones with the big white toe).I can see my 18 year old daughter wearing them....but not me).

SOOOOO....can some one show me some pictures of age appropriate clothes for a 52 year old mom....of 3 teenagers. 

I need that old show "What not to wear" to come knocking on my door for help.

I have considered things like Stitch Fix...but I can't afford them.  

Oh, I am pear shaped so leggings and snug things look HORRIBLE on me. 

thanks.

Edited by NEprairiemom
  • Like 2

Re. those shoes--I am older than you and got a pair because I needed the flat sole for a foot injury.  I felt quite 'wannabe' in them, but got a lot of compliments, and once I got used to them I saw them on everyone.  So I'll bet you looked better in them than you thought.

What I wear with jeans to dress them up just a little is Ugg's knockoffs from Costco.  I have them in grey, black, and brown.  The grey ones with the zippers are the cutest.  They are super reasonable in price, $29.99 IIRC.  Or if it's hot out I wear Fit Flops, but they have gotten so expensive now--I'm really glad I bought them at the Rack before the price skyrocketed so much.  Dansko clogs are popular around here to dress up jeans.  I find them uncomfortable, but I do have a pair of sandals built on the same base, and those are great.  In general, ballet shoe style flats are in style and dress jeans up a lot, plus they look good with flowy skirts.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/416090453052166643/?lp=true

You'll be surprised what you can still wear at 50+. I'm over 50 and Chucks look great with jeans. Yes, younger people wear them but so can older people. Take a look around the net at all the things older women can wear. I'm not suggesting those are the shoes you should buy, just that you shouldn't rule out anything just because it's cute on your teen.

I was once you and once I got past the "I'm over 50" stigma dressing got a lot more fun. I think I experiment more with clothes at this age than any previous. Maybe go thrift shopping and buy some different styles to play with. Have fun! Except for menopause this is a great stage in life.

• Like 7

I dunno.  I mostly dress for comfort or pick stuff I feel good in, but honestly what is the difference between clothes for 52 or 25?  None that I'm aware of. 

I dress similarly enough to the college students in my class (maybe slightly better if I do say so myself), but I don't think this makes me a wannabe because clothing stores don't have age based sections for women's clothing. 

• Like 6

I hear you.

After resisting for way too long, I finally tried on and bought myself a pair of skinny jeans and cute Keds sneakers. With a flowy top and/or a long cardigan, I have a new uniform. And I'll tell you what. That critical "you're too old for that" voice in my head has been silenced. Probably because she's ridiculously comfortable every day. 

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 10

OH!

One thing I have noticed--I have less color in my face and lips than I used to.

So I looked better in pastels and lighter colors in my twenties and thirties, but now I look better in stronger colors.  I wear a lot of red next to my face now, which I rarely would have done before, although I always wore jewel tones.  I feel like I need that pop of color more now than I used to.  This took some getting used to--I gravitated toward, say, pink or cream blouses, but now I need something deeper there.

• Like 4

I get it.   I'm petite too, so when I was younger I wanted to avoid being mistaken for a tween or teen, and as I've aged (I'm 45) I've tried avoid looking like someone trying to recapture her youth or looking frumpy.  A classic style works well for that.  I'm not into trends and I hate clothes shopping, so I want pieces that work for a long time. 

Here are examples of classic pieces.  Not everything in the list fits every lifestyle, but notice there have been versions of many of those pieces for more than half a century now.  https://www.thecut.com/2014/08/50-simple-pieces-for-building-a-classic-wardrobe.html

You can always pick different colors or mix in a trendier piece with them if that better fits your tastes.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 2

I dunno.  I mostly dress for comfort or pick stuff I feel good in, but honestly what is the difference between clothes for 52 or 25?  None that I'm aware of. 

I dress similarly enough to the college students in my class (maybe slightly better if I do say so myself), but I don't think this makes me a wannabe because clothing stores don't have age based sections for women's clothing. 

I am pretty sure it is buttons vs. sparkles. Every year, you remove one sparkle/logo and replace it with a button.

• Like 2

I’m almost 57 and I wear black yoga pants. I don’t care how old I am, they are comfortable and I’m wearing them. My sneakers are Vans slip ons. Gray for everyday and a cute light pink pair with Peanuts characters for fun.

I’m very fashion challenged, so this is not meant as fashion advice- just to encourage you to wear what makes you feel good.

• Like 3

I am petite too and have been trying to look more put together and ladylike. I found this Youtube channel helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR28x4kMV_tHjQuMIiup5rw

I also like Busbee Style even though she is more trendy than I am. Her videos on staples was great. And there was this one:

Finally, I love the Daily Connoisseur as she is classy and her ten item wardrobe is something I can do.

Edited by 4Kiddos

I think the sneakers would have been fine, but maybe they just aren't quite what you are looking for.

I wear my Blundstone ankle boots 80% of the time, and they are pretty ageless, and they'll go with jeans or pants or many skirts.

One think I've found is that pants that are jeans in non-denim colours and fabrics can be a bit more formal or dignified.  An accessory like a scarf can also make things feel more polished.

I am pretty sure it is buttons vs. sparkles. Every year, you remove one sparkle/logo and replace it with a button.

awww shi*

I love sparkles. 

Sometimes I consider shoes with characters on them while shopping through the girl's shoe department.  So far I haven't, but what is life without whimsy? 

Today on a crazy whim (thanks stupid Zullily advertisement on Facebook) I bought a shirt with cats and a handbag with cats.  Although this might be "old bag" crazy cat lady style.  So I might be safe. 

• Like 2

I've updated my wardrobe quite a bit in the last year and a half or so. I wear a mix of jeans, skirts, and dresses, but I don't like dress pants so I don't really have any. You need to buy things that you're actually going to wear, otherwise there is no point.

I think the shoes you were talking about would be cute and stylish and definitely not limited to women in their twenties. There are lots of things you can pair with jeans that will be up to date, but not inappropriate for your age. If I were you, I'd make sure I had a nice turtle neck sweater or two. I have a black cashmere turtleneck in black that fits well and can be worn with jeans or a skirt. Neutral colours are really in and are timeless, so you could go with white, cream, or a light blush. A white collared shirt with buttons is another item that looks great with jeans. Throw on a cute cardigan (maybe in a neutral colour or in something that goes with your shoes) or a blazer and you're set to go. I found a great navy blazer at Winners (like Marshalls) a few weeks ago and it really dresses up a pair of jeans. I have a white t-shirt, blush t-shirt, white sweater, and a mustard and navy blouse that all look great under the blazer with a pair of jeans. If you want to be a little trendy without looking like you're trying to be 20, you could buy a shirt with flutter sleeves or a bit of ruffle. I really do think sticking to neutral colours instead of a lot of patterns helps make people look put together. Although, I do really like all of the floral prints that are out right now. 

I'm a little more adventurous with my shoes these days. I have a cute pair of ankle boots that go well with all of my jeans. I had a pair of Converse that I wore until I wore them out. I *love* Converse with jeans. Stylish and comfortable and great at any age. I recently bought a pair of pointy black suede flats with a black and white bow on them, a pair of leopard print pointy flats with a black bow, and a pair of blue velvet loafers with a sparkly bar on them. All of them were bought from the clearance rack at The Bay for less than $30 each. It's been fun to have something a little different in my wardrobe. 

• Like 1

Have you seen HotandFlashy on YouTube? She talks about fashion and health for women over 50. I think the leggings with tunic top combo looks really nice and is comfortable too. I've had to revamp my wardrobe recently too. Ankle boots are my favorite type of shoe. You can even wear them with dresses if they aren't too clunky.

• Like 1

Have you seen some of the 40+, 50+, 60+ fashion blogs?

These ladies are confident, real, and put together outfits that can be worn in real life. 

Here are a few that I enjoy (no affiliation whatsoever):

https://www.chicatanyage.com/

https://thepoutingpensioner.blogspot.com/

https://www.midlifechic.com/

https://www.wardrobeoxygen.com/

https://www.awellstyledlife.com/

• Like 1

Do you know what colours suit you?  Do you know what cuts suit you?

Try having a look at Dressing Your Truth, I think the basic course is free now.  I find it really helpful that all of my clothes play nice together because they're all shades.  If I were trying to mix a rich olive with a pure yellow it might be startling....but rich olive with rich gold?  Win.  And for that matter, I know that I can handle a fairly high level of contrast in my clothes so gold and teal and olive together make me happy.  My mother prefers way less contrast in her clothes and therefore might stick to colours that are a bit closer together.

And shoes...there are so, SO many choices in shoes.  So many!!

With jeans, how about ballet flats?  With a round toe or pointed toe or squared off toe, depending on your type.

How about european walking shoe brands?  Clarks or Josef Seibels or something?  They're comfy!

I'm 55, and found that classics are better as I age: My current spring uniform is black, blue, or gray skinny jeans, fitted t-shirt, and ballerina flats or cute flat sandals when the temps get above 80.

I only buy a few pieces per season, and get the best quality I can afford because I like to keep and wear things for several years.

My mom is small and petite like you, and she does best with tops with a fitted waist, jackets and sweaters are not much shorter than hip level, and she never wears the cute, printed flowy tops that are so popular right now. You can wear these types of tops, but if you do, pair them with skinny pants and make sure the top isn't too long (no more than an inch longer than your rear end.

• Like 2

I'm 51, so right there with you on wanting to look good but not look like I'm trying to be a 20-something! 

Some blogs that have really helped me:

Get Your Pretty On

Putting Me Together

Now That I Can Do, Mama

Jo-Lynne Shane

Grace & Beauty - cyndispivey.com

Some of these bloggers are mid-aged, some are a little younger, but all of them promote style that is doable for the average non-style savvy mom!  (that's me, for sure!)

Of all of these, Putting Me Together is probably my favorite.

Get You Pretty On & Putting Me Together do seasonal style challenges that give you a shopping list and about 40 days of outfits.  Both are good and totally worthwhile if you want step-by-step clear direction!  But you don't need to do a style challenge, you can get a ton of help from the blogs alone.

• 4 years later...

Zombie thread?!  Shoot, but very timely, I had the same question.  5'2", a little older, but I hate the feel of skinny jeans...but can't wear the super wide bell bottoms either because it makes me look even shorter.  I appreciate the suggested sites and youtube channels anyway!😉

On 3/9/2018 at 11:03 AM, ktgrok said:

Go to Dress Barn.

Ask the sales lady for help. 

Done. 

Seriously. I wish I'd known about Dress Barn years ago. I learned about it here, and it was life changing. 

Also Cato.

And if you go to pinterest and type in fashion women 50s, you will come up with a million pins

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ***** said:

Zombie thread?!  Shoot, but very timely, I had the same question.  5'2", a little older, but I hate the feel of skinny jeans...but can't wear the super wide bell bottoms either because it makes me look even shorter.  I appreciate the suggested sites and youtube channels anyway!😉

Try bootcut or straight cut. I think straight cut is smaller on the ankle than bootcut. Personally I prefer bootcut but I like my jeans to cover the top of my shoe. I have straight too for when I want to show off a cute pair of shoes. 

Also now that you are a little older and don't need to chase fashion trends, think about getting a pair of custom jeans (I tried these https://www.neemsjeans.com/ and liked them). When the jean proportion better for your height it makes you look better too. I'm short so a lot of times I have to cut off half of the store bought jeans so I can walk. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clarita said:

. I'm short so a lot of times I have to cut off half of the store bought jeans so I can walk. 

I resort to either boys size 12 jeans (short in length and deep pockets) or ladies cropped jeans for casual wear. The rag and bone cropped jeans end around my ankle. Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack has hemming services but I haven’t use that service. 

This is why I love athleisure. It’s perfect. I’m 58. I hate all pants, so this works. The section for older ladies does not fit and the juiniors does fit, but I don’t want to look like I’m trying to be 15. The jeans fit, but I literally am so uncomfortable in them. Maybe it’s because I’ve grown so used to the comfort of leggings. 

If you feel self aware in leggings, pair them with a longer top that covers your bum……..and a cute pair of sandals. You don’t have to wear only tennis shoes with them.