Menu

PSA: Keep your eye on Hurricane Irma

Guinevere

Well, look at you with your big fancypants multisyllabic word. :D

I am secretly impressed, but hate to admit it.

I just learned it a week or so ago. WTM for the win!

In a thread... Dawn linked an article about people who owned a house that was overrun with snakes bc it was near a hibernaculum.

• Like 2

I just learned it a week or so ago. WTM for the win!

In a thread... Dawn linked an article about people who owned a house that was overrun with snakes bc it was near a hibernaculum.

That's what you get for clicking on links. Your head gets clogged up with all sorts of information.

Sure, this time you got to use it in a sentence, but that was pure luck. At other times, all those new words are just taking up space in your brain that could otherwise be reserved for important things like remembering what time Fixer Upper is on HGTV.

I blame Dawn. She is responsible for your newfound vocabulary word. And now you'll probably miss Fixer Upper this week, too.

• Like 7

An easy and less plastic-bottle-consumption-intensive solution to crappy tasting water (a phenomenon I remember well from when I lived in Orlando) is to buy powdered flavor stuff to add to it for drinking.

My mother always packed a container of Tang to take with us on beach trips to Myrtle Beach to mask the taste of the water there. :)

We're in NC and I was very surprised that the two grocery stores I went to today were totally out of water. Honestly, I don't expect that we will lose water (or gas for the water heater), but we're not on a well. I don't really worry about flooding, but when Hugo came through in 1989 we were without power for a week and some outlying areas up to 5 weeks. At this point I'm making sure we have flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, propane (and charcoal and firewood), toilet paper, feminine hygiene supplies, and lots of canned goods, and we'll make sure the grill is in the garage. If we don't need it, great, it will be there for the next ice storm this winter, since we still have a lot of utility lines up on poles. Our neighborhood's lines are buried, but not the big lines bringing the power in.

Edited by KarenNC

That's what you get for clicking on links. Your head gets clogged up with all sorts of information.

Sure, this time you got to use it in a sentence, but that was pure luck. At other times, all those new words are just taking up space in your brain that could otherwise be reserved for important things like remembering what time Fixer Upper is on HGTV.

I blame Dawn. She is responsible for your newfound vocabulary word. And now you'll probably miss Fixer Upper this week, too.

Oh, the stuff stuck in my mind from this board! So much stuff I can't keep TV channels and shows straight! HPVC? Huh? Fix My Uppers? Is that a denture show!?

Hibernaculum is an improvement! It sounds like an old Catholic word!

"Unsinkable, go the convent and tell Sister Mary Polishlastname that Sister Maria Italianlastname needs the cleaner for the hibernaculum. And then wait there for it! Don't come back without it or we'll never get done."

• Like 9

Oh, the stuff stuck in my mind from this board! So much stuff I can't keep TV channels and shows straight! HPVC? Huh? Fix My Uppers? Is that a denture show!?

Hibernaculum is an improvement! It sounds like an old Catholic word!

"Unsinkable, go the convent and tell Sister Mary Polishlastname that Sister Maria Italianlastname needs the cleaner for the hibernaculum. And then wait there for it! Don't come back without it or we'll never get done."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

From now on, whenever I see an ad for Fixer Upper on TV, I will think of it as "that denture show."

• Like 4

My ex step dad (dad #2) is in a mobile home park in Citrus county. He is suppose to move next week but this is throwing things. So he is boarding up today and will evaluate. Mom is going in to work today as normal. You know the media talks about these storms and makes them big, and rightly so with this one, but it is still days away from hitting places like Tampa or north. 

My step father (dad #3) took a red eye last night, so I guess he is landing sometime this morning. If anyone sees a black hummer off the side of the road, it could be him. Hopefully he will find gas though. 

My dd is in Clearwater, but zone E. She just moved into her apartment last weekend.  I'm really worried about her.  My BIL with his wife and kids, left for TN.  My MIL is in New Port Richie.  She will be working during the storm (she's a nurse).

I know my dd is worried. The news reports are a bit nuts.  She's worried about her car, and about how long the power could be out.  Orginally she was going to go to a friend's in SC, but now the storm is heading there too.  She was afraid she'd get stuck up north and not be able to get back if she needed to get back to work (she's a school teacher).

She has water, she has food, she has her cat.  She's so far away and I'm freaking out. (We're in TX now)

If they do have to evacuate she'll have a hard time getting out. The roads are nuts. 

Hugs, mama. I have to think that it's worse having one of your children in the storm and not being able to help than you actually being in the storm.

You and your daughter should watch Denis Phillips (you can check out his facebook page - it's public so you can see it even if you don't have FB). He's the meteorologist for the ABC station in Tampa Bay and he's the best resource (IMO) for updates. We lived in Clearwater in 2004 and 2005 when the season was very active and I really appreciated his calm, non-alarmist reporting. He has a rule #7 that says: Don't freak out. If I'm not freaking out, you don't freak out. Maybe watching him will calm your nerves a little bit. I still watch him online and I'm in the Panhandle. I can't do any other weather reports or it makes me anxious.

• Like 6

...You and your daughter should watch Denis Phillips (you can check out his facebook page - it's public so you can see it even if you don't have FB). He's the meteorologist for the ABC station in Tampa Bay and he's the best resource (IMO) for updates. We lived in Clearwater in 2004 and 2005 when the season was very active and I really appreciated his calm, non-alarmist reporting. He has a rule #7 that says: Don't freak out. If I'm not freaking out, you don't freak out. Maybe watching him will calm your nerves a little bit. I still watch him online and I'm in the Panhandle. I can't do any other weather reports or it makes me anxious.

Thank you for sharing this! You're right, this guy has the most sane, calm, sensible reporting and explanations I've seen! I've been looking at spaghetti tracks till I'm a nervous wreck, and this guy just sorts it out very plainly. Thanks!

Tracking Hurricane Irma: Updates and thoughts from Chief Meteorologist Denis Phillips - abcactionnews.com WFTS-TV

• Like 1

Oh lord, the models are so bad this morning. My whole family may be homeless. My parents' place is on the beach where they're calling for 20' of rain. My cousin's family (their kids are 3 and 5) are just on the other side of the intercoastal. My MIL's place is going to be flattened. My key west family are stubbornly holding out and there's an excellent chance they aren't going to survive thanks to the storm surge. I feel sick. It's like watching people in a bus careening toward a cliff and being unable to stop it.

• Like 2

Oh lord, the models are so bad this morning. My whole family may be homeless. My parents' place is on the beach where they're calling for 20' of rain. My cousin's family (their kids are 3 and 5) are just on the other side of the intercoastal. My MIL's place is going to be flattened. My key west family are stubbornly holding out and there's an excellent chance they aren't going to survive thanks to the storm surge. I feel sick. It's like watching people in a bus careening toward a cliff and being unable to stop it.

:grouphug:  I wish it were better.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Thank you, same. Panic and tears keep welling up and I have to fight them back. I can't decide whether to try and distract myself or just give over to it.

I just found a better map and was able to check my uncle's place.  It says they should evacuate with a predicted 10.1' surge or higher.  They're now saying up to 10'.  That's cutting it way too close for my preference, esp since one building developed a leak with just what they got from Harvey.

I'm going out to mow the field I need to get mowed.  I'm sure my mind won't be on mowing, but I can't just sit here watching minute by minute.  I've done all the "in house" chores and keep coming back to the TV/computer.

Best wishes for your relatives... (and all affected from Irma).

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing this! You're right, this guy has the most sane, calm, sensible reporting and explanations I've seen! I've been looking at spaghetti tracks till I'm a nervous wreck, and this guy just sorts it out very plainly. Thanks!

Tracking Hurricane Irma: Updates and thoughts from Chief Meteorologist Denis Phillips - abcactionnews.com WFTS-TV

You're welcome! I love Denis Phillips. He seems to have quite a fan base. LOL!

https://www.facebook.com/denisphillipswfts/

I'm so sorry.  :(   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I couldn't get the video to play in the article. Is it just my phone having issues or am I missing a link somewhere?

I could get the YouTube on that news page to play on my iPhone 6 but it took quite a while to load.

This is the YouTube link to the same video on the news page

Edited by Arcadia

Barb, I am so sorry that you have family unwilling to leave that area. :grouphug:  and prayers for you and them.

• Like 2

Homeless is one thing. Dead or injured is another.  I hope your Key West relatives will change their minds and evacuate if that is still possible for them. Fingers crossed and praying for everyone in the path of Irma.

• Like 2

Why does this storm keep moving west? I found out I have a "relative" who is going to wait it out in a mobile home away from trees. He is in north Florida so I am hoping he comes to his senses soon. 

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Generally speaking, if you had a total loss and you didn't have land to come home to, would all of your insurance policies pay out? Or would it only be the flood as you lost your land as well?

Why does this storm keep moving west? I found out I have a "relative" who is going to wait it out in a mobile home away from trees. He is in north Florida so I am hoping he comes to his senses soon. 

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Generally speaking, if you had a total loss and you didn't have land to come home to, would all of your insurance policies pay out? Or would it only be the flood as you lost your land as well?

Can you clarify? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. In a flood the water eventually recedes. And the land is still there. The only scenario I can think of in which one could actually lose land would be oceanfront real estate where the shoreline is altered by high tide/storm surge, or if the land is along a river or lake that might flood and alter the landscape. If you look at some of the before (flooded) and after (when the water had receded) shots from Houston it's remarkable how normal things looked just a few days later.

• Like 1

Whew, that was a lot of work. Now I'm hot and sweaty and gross.

The new hurricane track puts us on Irma's bad side. The side that spawns tornadoes. So I hurricane proofed the back yard. I had no idea we had that much crap back there but luckily the garbage men haven't been by yet today so I was able to take a lot of it out to the curb.

I also went to the bank today which happens to be close to a Goodwill. Boy were they busy with people dropping off outside furniture. There are definitely lots of ways to prepare for a hurricane. :)

• Like 3

Yes, I'm bookmarking him. Very balanced. I have friends and relatives in South Florida, Central Florida, and the Bahamas, so I'm on pins-and-needles!

• Like 2

I read the web page about that Meteorologist in a TV station on the Florida West Coast.  One thing he wrote should be remembered, if one is ever in an emergency: Have the battery in your phone fully charged and communicate (if there is cell service) via SMS Text Messages. Much less battery drain and much less bandwidth required. 

• Like 6

Whew, that was a lot of work. Now I'm hot and sweaty and gross.

The new hurricane track puts us on Irma's bad side. The side that spawns tornadoes. So I hurricane proofed the back yard. I had no idea we had that much crap back there but luckily the garbage men haven't been by yet today so I was able to take a lot of it out to the curb.

I also went to the bank today which happens to be close to a Goodwill. Boy were they busy with people dropping off outside furniture. There are definitely lots of ways to prepare for a hurricane. :)

I just looked at the new track.  Seems to be making a beeline for Naples.  One of their shelters is already full.  Not sure what my aunt and uncle have decided. (sigh)

I wish no one had to deal with this magnitude storm.  Not islands, not Florida, not Texas, etc, etc, etc.

Still wishing everyone the best.

• Like 4

Oh Barb,

:grouphug:

You must be a wreck. I'm so sorry. :(

• Like 2

:0(

A little bit odd seeing huge National Guard vehicles driving around the neighborhoods in Clearwater, FL.  But very glad they are here!  I also saw gas being delivered to the gas station up the road.

Get ready to see all those orange Asplundh trucks after the storm. Seems like we saw them for months in 2004. Then again, it seemed like we had months worth of hurricanes that year.

Hugs, mama. I have to think that it's worse having one of your children in the storm and not being able to help than you actually being in the storm.

You and your daughter should watch Denis Phillips (you can check out his facebook page - it's public so you can see it even if you don't have FB). He's the meteorologist for the ABC station in Tampa Bay and he's the best resource (IMO) for updates. We lived in Clearwater in 2004 and 2005 when the season was very active and I really appreciated his calm, non-alarmist reporting. He has a rule #7 that says: Don't freak out. If I'm not freaking out, you don't freak out. Maybe watching him will calm your nerves a little bit. I still watch him online and I'm in the Panhandle. I can't do any other weather reports or it makes me anxious.

Ive been watching Denis and he has been great. I wish all reporters were like him. He's rational and has been doing a great job at explaining everything.  She's based her decision on his reporting. 

I believe she will be ok, but I'm still freaking out.

• Like 1

There are special hurricane riders in effect for homeowner's insurance policies.   Losses from hurricanes are typically not covered by regular homeowner's insurance, and there is a separate hurricane deductible.   It's really, really complicated - I'm not sure I even understand all of our coverage and exactly how it works.   But we've never had to use it before.   We may find out next week.   

• Like 2

Can you clarify? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. In a flood the water eventually recedes. And the land is still there. The only scenario I can think of in which one could actually lose land would be oceanfront real estate where the shoreline is altered by high tide/storm surge, or if the land is along a river or lake that might flood and alter the landscape. If you look at some of the before (flooded) and after (when the water had receded) shots from Houston it's remarkable how normal things looked just a few days later.

My mom lives on a barrier island. When Sandy hit (sorry I live in NJ), some of the barrier islands shifted and there were people that came home to water. In fact, where my mom lives, not far from her is a pass that was created after a storm MANY years ago came through and decided that there should be a pass there. 

For obvious reasons, my mom is terrified this will happen to her. Especially since she is trying to sell said house (was suppose to have sold it at the end of July but the guy lost financing in the 11th hour) and that whole concept of murphy's law. 

My mom is thinking that because she has 3 policies (homeowners, flood, wind) that are all for X amount should would only get 1X payout if her house was no more as most of the value in her house is in the land and you can't insure your land like that. I told her that her land does have value and that all 3 policies would have to pay out in the event of a total loss (or 3X). I mean her sea wall, driveway, patio, dock, even mailbox and 3 foot high chain link fence have value. Right? 

Just to be clear, my mom really doesn't care what happens to the house (for the most part) she has already moved from it emotionally (which she should have, seeing she is selling it) so she is just really worried about paying for a mortgage for a place that doesn't exist and can't be rebuilt (don't blame her there). She actually likes the idea of starting over and everything of any value she has already moved from the house (sentimental value, not that her house is empty). My thought is said mortgage company wouldn't let her get less insurance then she needed to be made whole. After all they don't want someone to just walk away from the mortgage (which I am sure happens if someone couldn't rebuild and was paying on something they didn't own) and they would have nothing to sell to recoup the losses. 

Now I may be ill. This is too much stress worrying about the whole state. At least Dad #2 says he has a brick house to go to in the event of the worst. I can't believe that my family is now reduced down to living like the 3 little pigs! Oh and I can't imagine National Guard in Clearwater like that. I hope this storm isn't as bad as everyone fears. 

• Like 2

3 Ladybugs, where is your mom? Maybe that would help answer your question. But no, I wouldn't worry that the entire property would be gone. 

As for insurance, my home is insured for up to $240K. That covers "replacement value" including the house, land, etc. I also have another certain amount for "other structures" which includes the fence, etc. Plus more coverage to cover the contents of the house. 

Can she take a photo of her policy and send it to you? Good idea anyway, and you could see what coverage she has. It should be enough to pay off her mortgage at minimum. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

She is north of St. Pete Beach, south of Clearwater beach... in one of those little towns in there. There is land around her. Even a big condos not far from her and obviously on the beach, but she is not in the "big water" meaning her channel behind her house isn't that deep. So not sure if that makes a difference or not. I don't know what her policies look like (honestly, I don't know what my policies look like and I had to sign them!). They are 3 different companies that I know, but that is it. 

I just think that at times like these it is easy to imagine the worse. Odds are she will likely be fine... or at least that is what the ostrich inside me says. :)

3 ladybugs if I read and understood about the 3 policies your mother has on that property, if the value of the property was reduced to zero, assuming the house is totally demolished,  between the 3 policies they would pay her 1X of the value of the property before Irma hit.  I hope her property is OK.  

She is north of St. Pete Beach, south of Clearwater beach... in one of those little towns in there. There is land around her. Even a big condos not far from her and obviously on the beach, but she is not in the "big water" meaning her channel behind her house isn't that deep. So not sure if that makes a difference or not. I don't know what her policies look like (honestly, I don't know what my policies look like and I had to sign them!). They are 3 different companies that I know, but that is it. 

I just think that at times like these it is easy to imagine the worse. Odds are she will likely be fine... or at least that is what the ostrich inside me says. :)

She may have flooding but the house and land are not going to be permanently gone. Her insurance will provide money for the repair if need be. It will be ok. 

But she should take a look at her policies to see what her coverage is.

SaveSave

• Like 2

3 ladybugs if I read and understood about the 3 policies your mother has on that property, if the value of the property was reduced to zero, assuming the house is totally demolished,  between the 3 policies they would pay her 1X of the value of the property before Irma hit.  I hope her property is OK.  

That would make sense if she could rebuild (she would still have the value of the land after all) but if she didn't have land, what would happen then? Her house isn't what is valuable on her property. The property itself is what is valuable. Her house was built in 1957. It isn't to code for today's standards. Meaning it isn't on stilts or anything. She has an elevation of about 3 feet, maybe 4 if the tide is lower. To give you an idea, there is a piece of property for sale 2 doors down (well there isn't a door but you get the idea) that they are asking just $200K less then my mom is. 

Which sort of brings up the point, if you have a piece of property, and it disappears, (no house on it or anything) is it insurable?

• Like 1

That would make sense if she could rebuild (she would still have the value of the land after all) but if she didn't have land, what would happen then? Her house isn't what is valuable on her property. The property itself is what is valuable. Her house was built in 1957. It isn't to code for today's standards. Meaning it isn't on stilts or anything. She has an elevation of about 3 feet, maybe 4 if the tide is lower. To give you an idea, there is a piece of property for sale 2 doors down (well there isn't a door but you get the idea) that they are asking just $200K less then my mom is. 

Which sort of brings up the point, if you have a piece of property, and it disappears, (no house on it or anything) is it insurable?

I don't know that I understand the question, but insurance typically covers the structures, not the "property" (real estate).  Given that this is a major storm, however, that might be an interesting question:  what if the surge and so on changes the shape of the land, the real estate, so that it is now perpetually underwater?

In WA, many years ago, they raised the level of Lake Washington.  People who owned waterfront property now own "underwater" (literally) property.  They still own the land and pay taxes on it.  The way it has been dealt with is that the owners built piers on their land, and people built floating houses attached to the piers.  They form condominium associations and so on and I would assume that most of the underwater land is now owned by condominium associations.  I assume they have insurance for the structure of the pier and maybe shared insurance for the floating houses, but it's hard to imagine anything weirder happening to the actual land than what has already happened.  

I had a friend who was part owner; she lived in a floating house.  Even into her late 80s, she would jump off her deck into Lake Washington for a swim every morning!  (Brr!)  

About disappearing houses or disappearing land and houses, we have regular homeowners insurance here and we pay extra for earthquake/sinkhole insurance and that part has a 15K deductible. Which is fine with us since we are not expecting earthquake damage but since we almost certainly live above a cave, a sinkhole is not out of the question. And depending how large a sinkhole it would be, some to all of our land could disappear (rather unlikely but there it is). At that point, I think our insurance would pay us the worth of the house and probably 10K for the land since our land is assessed at 25K. We have rebuild and rebuy coverage, not just what it is worth, but in that case, we would have to rebuy another property. Yes, even smaller hurricanes do at times create new channels or add portions to islands. Usually those channels are in small areas that are low already and narrow too. So an area like you are describing your mother lives in is very unlikly to completely disappear. A certain restaurant I know on an island is in exactly the place where a channel could form- very low land at that point and quite narrow too. But where there are both condos and houses on a strip of land, that seems unlikely.