Menu

PSA: Keep your eye on Hurricane Irma

Guinevere

Fwiw, our tap water tastes pretty nasty. T

Our tap water tastes awful too so we have a cooler and get water delivered in 5 gallon bottles. We always up our amount during hurricane season so right now we're good when it comes to drinking water. I'll put tap water in containers this weekend so we have water for other purposes if needed.

It was only WED!  5 days before anything may or may not happen.

Seriously PEOPLE!  First of all, we are quite inland.  Second of all.....what????

On Tuesday there were gas lines and stations running out of gas. That was part of the insanity.

I suspect people buying in pallet sized quantities are wanting to resale.

That's illegal (here at least) and there are reports that they'll really be cracking down on people who try to resell hurricane supplies of any kind. Of course, I think they'll have other things to worry about than finding these people but hopefully the threat is a deterrent. 

My mother in NC went a little nuts. She bought a bunch of water. Not like a crazy amount, but I was like, mom, you have plenty of containers. Just fill one and save the money and your arms from lugging those giant things! She remembers being stuck without water or electricity for nearly a month after Fran though. At least she got instant coffee too. Her post-Fran story was that she couldn't sleep, watched the whole thing overnight, then drove to work at the hospital, past trees that were down, electrical cables that were live, streets that were flash flooded... all to get coffee because she knew they'd have electricity at her office. And then, once she drank the coffee, the caffeine hit her and she was like, wait, holy &*$%, what did I just do. It's a cautionary tale about caffeine addiction and hurricanes.

Right now we're supposed to drive home from Georgia on Monday. Guys... this is gonna suck.

We were supposed to get slammed by Matthew last year (and parts of Florida did get hit bad) but NC also took a beating from that storm. They aren't out of the woods with Irma either, but it's a bit early for people that far north to start panicking. They should prepare to prepare.

I lived in the Kissimmee area during Charley. It was unbelievable. We did minimal hurricane prep because it was not forecasted to hit us until it took a last minute turn.

You guys really took a beating in the 2004 season - right in the middle of the X! Plus that area seems to get a lot of tornadoes and severe thunderstorms on a normal day. Dss lives near there (about halfway between Melbourne and Kissimmee) and wants us to come stay with him. I don't know if he'll fare any better, and they're in a 2 story house that's stucco over wood. The only time we evacuated was when we lived in a stucco over wood house when Floyd was supposed to hit. We went to my IL's who have a block house. Our current house is block and pretty solid.

An FYI - Pinellas County (west coast of FL) is starting mandatory evacuations of Zone A starting tomorrow.  Source:  BayNews 9 website (cannot cut and paste on the forum for some reason).

Our county ordered mandatory evacuations for Zone A too starting tomorrow at 3pm. Also anyone (even on the mainland) in mobile or manufactured homes as well as low lying areas and people who live near the Indian River Lagoon. 

I don't think Eckerd is wrong to be evacuating even as current reports seem to suggest it won't hit the Gulf Coast too badly.  They are in a Hurricane Evacuation A area - right next to the water and on a peninsula that could quickly have submerged areas around them.

I'd rather they be safe than sorry.

That said, in areas that are in B or C sections, I'd be far less concerned and would mainly be stocked up unless it looked like a Category 4 or 5 were aiming for a direct hit.  I saw the wind destruction Andrew caused in the direct hit path.

When we lived in the Tampa/Clearwater area we lived in evacuation zone A. We were mandatory evacuated for Charley and went to our designated safe area - Orlando (DH was military).  Charley then took a turn and hit Orlando.  :closedeyes:

From what I've seen of my favorite newscaster from that area - zone A is under a mandatory evacuation, so if they got out a few days ago even better.

• Like 1

I was mainly responding to people that are in NC stocking up. I'm thinking well I guess I can see why they might not trust the projections.

As for vegan food not being purchased, I was talking about this image floating around:

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/6xg16q/even_in_a_disaster_no_one_wants_the_vegan_food/

Back when Andrew hit my dad was 25 miles north (so still got a bit of the storm, but not the devastating destruction).  He went to the store right before or after (can't remember which) and said the only thing not cleared out was the Prune juice.  He still laughs when telling that story.

It does, however, make sense.  If there's no power, who wants to have to GO?   :lol:

When we lived in the Tampa/Clearwater area we lived in evacuation zone A. We were mandatory evacuated for Charley and went to our designated safe area - Orlando (DH was military).  Charley then took a turn and hit Orlando.  :closedeyes:

From what I've seen of my favorite newscaster from that area - zone A is under a mandatory evacuation, so if they got out a few days ago even better.

Irma had better not take a turn and hit Jordan.   :lol:   I am very thankful he's not there for this.  

I heard this morning that my aunt/uncle are under evacuation orders in Naples.  What I haven't heard is if they plan to actually evacuate... He's in charge of their condo complex and feels a duty to remain there.  :glare:

• Like 4

That exact thing happened to our nephew on dh's side. He lived in Tampa and evacuated to his sister's house in Orlando. Oops.

NC here. No generators or water at any stores. Our city was hit very, very badly by Matthew and some still haven't been able to repair their homes. People are very on edge after Matthew, especially since it wasn't predicted to be as bad as it was. I don't blame people for being very concerned.

• Like 1

And now my mom is back to saying they may not Evacuate. They are on Merritt Island. I may have to go and kidnap my father Mr. T. Style. He is being stubborn, and mom won't leave without him.

I am sorry!  I hope they will come to their senses.  Of course I am sure my family thinks that about us but we are a lot further inland than Merritt Island. :grouphug:

Please everyone in FL be very very careful with Irma. Houses and cars and other things are plastic and can be fixed or replaced, but human lives are very fragile and cannot be replaced.  Our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami is closing this afternoon, so their staff can do whatever they need to do, for themselves and their families. We only have one thing there now, a Textbook for DD that FedEx delivered to them this morning.

We have other ties to FL, especially to the Miami area.  Fingers crossed and praying for everyone in Irmas' path.  

Yeah, I reminded my mom that insurance will replace things, but nothing can replace grandparents/parents. She's just too tired to argue with my father today after babysitting my sister's kids. I told her I'd harass him directly depending on the track as we keep watching. 

• Like 3

We had an ice cream party out in the driveway first thing after Charley passed. "Bring out yer gallons!"

We live on the East Coast, but far enough north that we don't get direct hits.  But, we are far enough east that we get lots of wind and rain as the storm blows back out to sea.

And we lose power easily.

A few years ago there was a storm coming.  There was no need to evacuate, but we *knew* we would lose power for several days to a week.  Dd9 got very upset every time she heard the wind blow.  She had some anxiety about any wind, let alone tropical storm wind.

The power went off just as we were getting ready for bed.  The kids had already gathered around the table for bedtime snack.  I announced that since the power would be off for several days, we had to eat ALL of the ice cream in the house.  Everybody got seconds.  A couple of the kids might have had thirds.   :leaving:

The next time we had a storm, we expected dd9 to get anxious like she had before.  Nope.  She asked if we had any ice cream.

And so, it is now a tradition that storm prep involves buying ice cream.  :hurray:

• Like 18

My mom is in Pinellas and zone A so she is getting ready to go. Luckily her DH was able to get a flight back tonight. The bad news is, he couldn't get gas for his car before he flew out so he is hoping he will find some tonight when he gets back. He has to go from the airport, home, then back to the airport (as they are staying at the airport).

I do have to say though that my mom got paid a week early at her job. They were fearing the people at this huge company would need the money. So yay them! Nice to hear about a company doing the right thing for a change!

• Like 12

We live on the East Coast, but far enough north that we don't get direct hits. But, we are far enough east that we get lots of wind and rain as the storm blows back out to sea.

And we lose power easily.

A few years ago there was a storm coming. There was no need to evacuate, but we *knew* we would lose power for several days to a week. Dd9 got very upset every time she heard the wind blow. She had some anxiety about any wind, let alone tropical storm wind.

The power went off just as we were getting ready for bed. The kids had already gathered around the table for bedtime snack. I announced that since the power would be off for several days, we had to eat ALL of the ice cream in the house. Everybody got seconds. A couple of the kids might have had thirds. :leaving:

The next time we had a storm, we expected dd9 to get anxious like she had before. Nope. She asked if we had any ice cream.

And so, it is now a tradition that storm prep involves buying ice cream. :hurray:

Excellent decision.

We had just emerged from a small interior room with 3 kids (plus one in utero) and were both physically and emotionally shaken up. Ice cream just makes everything feel better.

• Like 4

Aaaaaand.... as of 5pm, the NHC has shifted the projected track west again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/weather/850672/Hurricane-Irma-path-NOAA-track-models-update-Florida-US-tracking-live-latest-NHC-news/amp

Forget sharknado, it's those vagrant Everglades pythons that will be flying through the air.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 11

Yep. Straight up the middle now. Dss has been trying to talk us into going to his house to ride it out and now it looks to be heading straight at him. It could move again before it even gets to Florida. 

Forget sharknado, it's those vagrant Everglades pythons that will be flying through the air.

This I can actually (almost) believe and can even picture it!  :lol:  :smilielol5:

• Like 1

My mother is saying that gas is an issue for them and most of her area of FL. How in hades are they going to do a mandatory evac if nobody has access to gas?

I'm worried. Two of my little sisters, their families, my mother... my father and stepmother (estranged as I am from them)... my great grandmother. Everyone is either refusing to leave, or say they can't (no gas?) at this point. 

My great grandmother is close to 100 and used to live in Keywest. She's moved north just a bit now, and lives with one of her children, but she refuses to evacuate EVERY TIME this happens. If she dies, she's darn determined to do it there (at home), and I guess I can't fault her for that.

My mother, though, is just a procrastinator and really, sincerely, thought this entire thing could be "put off" for a "few more days." 

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 2

I  do not understand why they seem to be so surprised, at this late date, that there is a shortage of gasoline in FL.  Didn't the emergency management people think about gasoline in their preparedness?  There is apparently an App, GasBuddy(?) or something like that, that can tell people if local stations have gasoline and (maybe?) the price.  Gov. Scott mentioned that.    

I googled. Here's the URL for GasBuddy for Android. I assume it is also available for iPhones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gbis.gbandroid&hl=en

• Like 1

I  do not understand why they seem to be so surprised, at this late date, that there is a shortage of gasoline in FL.  Didn't the emergency management people think about gasoline in their preparedness?  There is apparently an App, GasBuddy(?) or something like that, that can tell people if local stations have gasoline and (maybe?) the price.  Gov. Scott mentioned that.    

I googled. Here's the URL for GasBuddy for Android. I assume it is also available for iPhones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gbis.gbandroid&hl=en

It is on iphone.  It is a great tool for tracking gas prices for us but double check the last update times for each station before going.  

• Like 1

I just talked with my uncle.  They're staying put in Naples - along with all but two resident families in their condo complex.  He wasn't sure which evacuation zone they are in and I can't locate it online.  I did find some flood certifications near his building and they're at 9' and 9.8' respectively.  He's not near the beach and feels the construction of his condo is as study as they make them - but then told me a section of one building (not his) started leaking during Harvey.   :glare:

If it stays east of them, I'm thinking he might be ok.  If it heads straight at them as a Cat 4, I'll admit to being concerned.  He feels there's nowhere they could get that would be safer.  I told them to at least see what Naples was offering for evacuees and see about going there if it looks like it's going to take the western track.

Any other ideas?  He and my aunt are in their upper 70s.  No relatives live nearby.

Creekland, I just heard on the Weather Channel that mandatory evacs will begin in Collier (Naples) county tomorrow AM.

ETA:  our property tax bills and such in Pinellas County have our evac zones listed on them.  can he check some of his property tax paperwork?

Thanks.  He's at a meeting right now.  I'm still trying to find Collier county maps online - with no success yet.  I can find every other county.   :glare:

Does Collier not have zones?  I found a Storm Surge map, but it didn't list any evacuation zones.  The area he lives in can handle a 14.1' storm surge if the map is correct.

Their emergency services site says they'll go door to door if folks are in an evacuation zone, so hopefully that will encourage them to at least go to a shelter if needed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/weather/850672/Hurricane-Irma-path-NOAA-track-models-update-Florida-US-tracking-live-latest-NHC-news/amp

Snakenado?

It doesn't really have the same ring to it, if you ask me.

• Like 2

Stupid question here...My sister and my oldest daughter moved to Florida this year. My daughter left last night, drove through the hellacious traffic to Atlanta with her dog and cat. My sister isn't leaving. Voluntary evacuations begin tomorrow morning and she is in the red zone. If she loses power (which the other side of her town has flooded twice in the past few weeks so I'm quite sure they will easily flood again), HOW will we know if she's ok?Is there some course of action I should establish with her? Thanks for any assistance (please be gentle, I'm exhausted from keeping dd company on the phone last night as she drove through the night, over 24 hours awake). 

Stupid question here...My sister and my oldest daughter moved to Florida this year. My daughter left last night, drove through the hellacious traffic to Atlanta with her dog and cat. My sister isn't leaving. Voluntary evacuations begin tomorrow morning and she is in the red zone. If she loses power (which the other side of her town has flooded twice in the past few weeks so I'm quite sure they will easily flood again), HOW will we know if she's ok?Is there some course of action I should establish with her? Thanks for any assistance (please be gentle, I'm exhausted from keeping dd company on the phone last night as she drove through the night, over 24 hours awake).

Where is she? Does she have a landline? Does she have a neighbor who has a landline? Honestly, unless she's in a really vulnerable spot, she'll probably be able to just call you.

• Like 1

Can you at least convince her to go to a local shelter?  That's what I encouraged my uncle to do if they recommend evacuation for his area.  No long drive, but an added level (perhaps height) for shelter until the worst is over.

And now my mom is back to saying they may not Evacuate. They are on Merritt Island. I may have to go and kidnap my father Mr. T. Style. He is being stubborn, and mom won't leave without him.

Ugh. If the track is more westward Merritt Island will be in the NE quadrant and that's not good either. Better get your sweet talkin' on!

But Pythonicane sounds scary - and is a neat name.

SNAKE-A-CANE!!!!! *shout it really loud, it's fun!

• Like 2

My mother is saying that gas is an issue for them and most of her area of FL. How in hades are they going to do a mandatory evac if nobody has access to gas?

I'm worried. Two of my little sisters, their families, my mother... my father and stepmother (estranged as I am from them)... my great grandmother. Everyone is either refusing to leave, or say they can't (no gas?) at this point. 

My great grandmother is close to 100 and used to live in Keywest. She's moved north just a bit now, and lives with one of her children, but she refuses to evacuate EVERY TIME this happens. If she dies, she's darn determined to do it there (at home), and I guess I can't fault her for that.

My mother, though, is just a procrastinator and really, sincerely, thought this entire thing could be "put off" for a "few more days." 

Gas stations are getting gas daily, just not anywhere near as fast as people are panicking from Florida all the way up to the Carolinas.

• Like 1

I had to go out today in Tampa and about half of the gas stations I passed had gas, and long lines of people waiting.   Publix had no bottled water, peanut butter, gatorade, or toilet paper, but had plenty of everything else.   They are evacuating residents in zone A in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties.   My goal (after my Publix trip today) is not to leave my house until Tuesday, if for no other reason than to conserve gas and not add to the traffic.   It's really hard not to go stir crazy.   There's so much to do, yet so little to do at the same time.  

• Like 6

The discussion about apps made me think of how technology is playing a role in this situation (I imagine it was the same in Houston). At the governor's 6pm news conference he said they've coordinated with Google so that closed road will show up in real time on Google Maps. The major ISPs and cell phone companies will be providing free wifi hotspots throughout the state. Expedia has a section devoted to hotel rooms in Florida and Gas Buddy is keeping updated regarding stations that have gas. 

Going through a hurricane in the 21st century is really kind of amazing from a technology standpoint. I don't recall hearing all of this when Matthew was coming our way but maybe I missed it.

• Like 16

My mom is in Pinellas and zone A so she is getting ready to go. Luckily her DH was able to get a flight back tonight. The bad news is, he couldn't get gas for his car before he flew out so he is hoping he will find some tonight when he gets back. He has to go from the airport, home, then back to the airport (as they are staying at the airport).

I do have to say though that my mom got paid a week early at her job. They were fearing the people at this huge company would need the money. So yay them! Nice to hear about a company doing the right thing for a change!

My dd is in Clearwater, but zone E. She just moved into her apartment last weekend.  I'm really worried about her.  My BIL with his wife and kids, left for TN.  My MIL is in New Port Richie.  She will be working during the storm (she's a nurse).

I know my dd is worried. The news reports are a bit nuts.  She's worried about her car, and about how long the power could be out.  Orginally she was going to go to a friend's in SC, but now the storm is heading there too.  She was afraid she'd get stuck up north and not be able to get back if she needed to get back to work (she's a school teacher).

She has water, she has food, she has her cat.  She's so far away and I'm freaking out. (We're in TX now)

If they do have to evacuate she'll have a hard time getting out. The roads are nuts. 

An easy and less plastic-bottle-consumption-intensive solution to crappy tasting water (a phenomenon I remember well from when I lived in Orlando) is to buy powdered flavor stuff to add to it for drinking.

or to simply get a tap filter.

I don't like the taste of our water and have been using one for over a decade. 

• Like 2