Menu

Has anybody mentioned the new Doctor yet?

VaKim

Well that sucks. She will always be the mom from Broadchurch for me and I didn't even like her that much then. Ugh!

Humph. If they were going to pick a TV mom, they should have gone with the awesome Karen Wheeler/Winona Ryder.

I did not like Capaldi at the beginning, but he grew on me.

ETA yeah yeah Ryder isn't a Brit and she's currently working but seriously, can you imagine it?

Edited by Seasider

I don't mind her and I will give her a chance. I think if Time Lords can regenerate into any type of body then it's statistically unlikely that he wouldn't have been a female at some point and each new male regeneration becomes less believable. I don't get the hate. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 6

So the new doctor is a woman? That's cool. I almost wish I was still watching.

Ugh. I stopped watching with Peter Capaldi but mainly because Clara was so incredibly annoying. I'll give the new Dr a try but I'm not particularly excited about it

Same here. I also stopped watching when ds stopped watching. It was something we watched together as a family and when he lost interest, dh and I didn't really feel compelled to continue. Since I was already so tired of Clara it was easy to quit. 

I would have really like Helen McCrory, though. I know they wanted a younger actor again but I think she'd have been great. 

It's silly to expect Time People to have human-like sexuality. If you yourself can change genders, and everyone around you can as well, then I'd think relationships would be more about being soul mates and attracted to the person beyond the body they possess. I mean, it would be harder for me to go from being married to someone like the first doctor (assuming I was of a similar age) and then end up with Matt Smith. Am I suddenly into little boys? Ew...

Edited by Paige
  • Like 2

I would have really like Helen McCrory, though. I know they wanted a younger actor again but I think she'd have been great. 

It's silly to expect Time People to have human-like sexuality. If you yourself can change genders, and everyone around you can as well, then I'd think relationships would be more about being soul mates and attracted to the person beyond the body they possess. I mean, it would be harder for me to go from being married to someone like the first doctor (assuming I was of a similar age) and then end up with Matt Smith. Am I suddenly into little boys? Ew...

I agree. It's not a stretch to have Rose going from the 9th Doctor to the 10th, but the 11th? No. Just no. Rose was younger than her Doctors it's true, but I just can't see her having the same feelings for Matt Smith's Doctor as she did for Eccleston's or Tennant's versions.

I'm looking forward to it and plan to actually start watching again. Clara irritated me to  no end and I never warmed to Capaldi. Wonder if they'll make her ginger? :)

I'm more interested in seeing what may change with Moffatt leaving.

• Like 1

We've been watching all the older episodes as well as the current.  I think Peter Capaldi came from the William Shatner school of acting.   :lol:   I'm dubious about the character being a woman, however the head writer and producer is also new so have no idea what direction the show will take.  Will have to wait and see.  

I loved Capaldi, though much of the writing for him was pretty pathetic. And by the end, I actually liked Clara, though I started out very annoyed with her. I am also a big fan of Moffatt. His stories were the ones I liked best. It is just sad all around for me. I am a traditionalist and can never like the doctor being a woman. I had actually said to my girls that if it were someone like Missy's actress, or Riversong's, it could be good. It would need to be an older, more mature, powerful woman. I don't think this blondie is gonna do it for me. Just my opinion.

My youngest DD said she wonders why, in the video, they show the tardis key in her hand glowing. She said it is more like the tardis is choosing her, than her actually being the doctor. Like perhaps the regeneration never "took" and she is going to be a doctor replacement instead of being the actual Doctor. I thought it was an interesting theory. 

We are starting over and watching 12's whole era for recovery purposes, lol. Kinda like we had to do with Dirty Dancing after watching that final scene of the new one. :-)

• Like 1

Bill grew on me, as did Capaldi in this last season. I liked Clara when she was with Matt, but got really tired of her near the end.

I know nothing about the actress to be 13. Guess we'll wait and see. I wonder who her companion will be--male or female? Two women might be a little too much estrogen in the tardis . . . maybe another couple like Amy and Rory?

• Like 1

I've only seen her in Broadchurch, but since she worked with Chris Chibnall on that, I trust his choice and that she'll be a great fit as The Doctor! It's always scary and exciting when the Doctor regenerates. You never know just what you're going to get. It usually takes me a couple of episodes to warm up to them, but in the end, it's Doctor Who and I love it. 

• Like 2

Bill grew on me, as did Capaldi in this last season. I liked Clara when she was with Matt, but got really tired of her near the end.

I know nothing about the actress to be 13. Guess we'll wait and see. I wonder who her companion will be--male or female? Two women might be a little too much estrogen in the tardis . . . maybe another couple like Amy and Rory?

I'm hoping Nardole will be back. I liked him and think it'd be good to have at least some consistency from previous seasons. 

I also hope Missy isn't really dead.

• Like 6

Another theory my DD mentioned was that perhaps she is Susan, the first doctor's granddaughter, who it apparently has been hinted at could have been a time lady. They had several references to her in the last season. 

It's sad that so many of you never even met Bill. Clara was the worst, but I really liked Bill.

Loved Bill.  I'm really sad she won't be back (though I guess she could, now that the Doctor's a woman. :D) The actress, Pearl Mackie, did such a terrific job. I rank her right after Donna Noble as far as companions go.  I also loved Nardole, Matt Lucas.  He was so fun. 

I thought Capaldi was amazing, and I'll miss him.

i don't mind the Doctor being a woman, and I think she could be interesting, though if they were taking someone from Broadchurch I would have preferred Oliva Coleman, who I can already picture as the Doctor.

I will give Jodi Whittaker a chance.  I hope the new showrunner does the series justice. 

• Like 3

I'm hoping Nardole will be back. I liked him and think it'd be good to have at least some consistency from previous seasons. 

I also hope Missy isn't really dead.

I hope the Doctor goes back for him.  And my theory, about Missy, is that she knew he would do that so she messed with the settings and she's fine. :)  She was an excellent Master and she and John Simm were so fun together. 

Edited by Kim in Appalachia
  • Like 1

I'm so thrilled they picked a woman. I didn't adore her in Broadchurch and while I know she's done other things, that's my only exposure to her. But whatever, they picked a woman! *does happy dance*

Clara also put me off Doctor Who for a good while. Though, really, it wasn't even Clara... I blame Moffett. #@$* Moffett put me off Doctor Who. I will never forgive him. Just nonsense disguised as depth. And so sexist at times. I like Chris Chibnall okay, I guess. Proof will be in the pudding.

• Like 2

I didn't get into the #12 episodes at all. I think Doctor Who peaked with Tennant, coasted with Smith and just tanked with Capaldi. I'll probably give it a few episodes, but I disliked that actress on Broadchurch. So unless she knocks it out of the park, I can't see giving it much of my time.

• Like 1

I think it's about damn time the Doctor reincarnated as a woman.  And, if you're refusing to watch because it's now a woman Doctor, then you've completely missed the point of who the Doctor is. 

​Also, if you are judging an actor based on whether or not you liked a character they played, then you've also really missed the point of why it's calling acting. 

• Like 9

Frankly, I'm excited to see how this works.  Something new and different to liven things up and honestly why not?  And I do like the actress they chose.  I have no idea if she can actually pull off The Doctor, but I am willing to give her a chance.

Oh she can. The Doctor is a fixed point in space and time. :) 

Several fixed points in space and time? 

Whatever.  :laugh: