Menu

Subscribe and Save members for Amazon Prime

Okra

So, I am an Amazon Prime member for other things than Subscribe and Save.  In general my opinion has been that I can find most items for less at the store.

But, I go shopping for my mother-in-law.  She wears Depends, and I cannot get into a routine of buying these.  I either buy WAY too many and then I forget to buy them.  She will not tell me when she is running low.  And, she has completely run out causing an emergency situation where I have to get them immediately!

My solution right now is to do subscribe and save on Amazon Prime so that they are just delivered to the house every month.  I am happy with this solution.  

So, here is my real question!  You save more every month if you have 5 things delivered.  Right now I cannot find five things that I think are a great deal, so I thought I would ask the hive.  For those of you that do subscribe and save on Amazon Prime what have you found that you think is a good deal?

Thanks so much!

I use S and S for some items similar to yours - I don't necessarily find the price significantly better but they are things we use regularly but I tend to forget. Or they are hard to find. :)

Nioxin shampoo

Smarty Pants Vitamin Gummies (due to allergies, we have specific brand)

Sunbutter

Dog food, though I've heard there are cheaper ways to have it delivered

Turtle food and tank filters

Quest bars - maybe not a great deal but the stores I regularly use don't carry them

Mario olive packs (again, this is due to allergies and not being able to find this safe brand elsewhere)

Aveeno shave cream - same as above

ETA:  I forgot we order paper towels, laundry detergent, snuggle pods, finish dishwasher detergent, tp, and lysol wipes, too.  That's a lot!  But we stagger it so it doesn't all come each month.  Oh!  And Source Naturals sublingual melatonin because it is so much more effective than any other kind we've tried!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

So, I am an Amazon Prime member for other things than Subscribe and Save.  In general my opinion has been that I can find most items for less at the store.

But, I go shopping for my mother-in-law.  She wears Depends, and I cannot get into a routine of buying these.  I either buy WAY too many and then I forget to buy them.  She will not tell me when she is running low.  And, she has completely run out causing an emergency situation where I have to get them immediately!

My solution right now is to do subscribe and save on Amazon Prime so that they are just delivered to the house every month.  I am happy with this solution.  

So, here is my real question!  You save more every month if you have 5 things delivered.  Right now I cannot find five things that I think are a great deal, so I thought I would ask the hive.  For those of you that do subscribe and save on Amazon Prime what have you found that you think is a good deal?

Thanks so much!

Sunbutter (I have difficulty finding this on the shelves sometimes)

Toilet Tissue (Sometimes)

Poptarts (At least currently)

Pencils for Operation Christmas Child boxes

Batteries are a great deal on Amazon, I got a 24 pack of Duracell AAA batteries for under $10.

Other things I get from subscribe and save that are cheaper than I can find at our stores: 

contact lens solution

garbage bags

laundry detergent

vitamins and supplements

soap

Clorox cleaner

clorox wipes

• Like 4

Some first aid items make good fillers to reach that 5. Then I always check the current deals and coupons, sometimes I add crackers or snacks for CHEAP to bring it to 5. 

I sometimes find the Ticonderoga pencils on a good deal. They will email you a date to check your S&S shipment for the following month and then you can skip, delete, add items.

The best deals are when you buy to get that overall discount - it can be like 15%-20% as you stated.

We do TP, paper towels, dog food, kids' shampoo, toothpaste, feminine products, deodorant, fruit/veggie wash, toilet bowl cleaner, laundry detergent, wipes, diapers, ground coffee, Goldfish snacks, pet floor cleaner (my dog sometimes has accidents), paper napkins...

Basically, I sat down one day and went through my head all the non-perishable, but consumables we use and I began searching for them in Subscribe and Save. Now, not every brand is available, so I had to make a few adjustments, but that was okay. Some things come only every 6 months, but because they are listed, they go toward the discount in the month they are set to arrive.

• Like 1

I get Greenies Grain Free for the dog, which are a lot cheaper than our local stores. I also get Nutpods dairy free creamer, which is expensive, but less expensive than the one store that carries it by me. I've been getting Amazon batteries, but I don't think they are lasting as long as they should, so I may cancel them. Other things may not be cheaper than stores, but we are always running out and forgetting to buy them, like dishwasher detergent, Breathe Right strips, paper plates, napkins, kitchen garbage bags... Also, some of the k-cups are a good deal. Keep an eye on prices, though, because sometimes they change.

For me, anything that saves time is a good deal. We subscribe and save everything I buy regularly at WM. Toilet paper, soaps, razors, batteries, toothpaste, lots more. I honestly have no idea if I'm saving money but I'm for sure saving time.

• Like 2

My list includes:

Blue Buffalo dry dog food (I also get this from chewy.com, depending on which price is better)

Mrs. Meyers cleaning products

Frontline spray (for my horses)

brown jasmine rice

toner cartridges

cat treats

grain free pizza crust mix

razor blades

batteries

garbage bags

kitchen sponges

toothpaste

floss

coconut oil

olive oil

pill pockets (for dogs)

toothbrushes

napkins

deodorant

bandaids

lotion

kleenex

lysol wipes

dish soap

tea

toilet paper

feminine hygiene products

• Like 1

DD and I are on a restricted diet, so we buy a lot of our gluten-free and egg-free items that way. Generally the price either beats or matches what I can find locally.

Also certain cleaning supplies, protein powder for DS, and certain OTC medications that we use daily.

For me, anything that saves time is a good deal. We subscribe and save everything I buy regularly at WM. Toilet paper, soaps, razors, batteries, toothpaste, lots more. I honestly have no idea if I'm saving money but I'm for sure saving time.

Yup. For sure!

LOL and us in Costco, Walmart, Or Target for these items would require two carts. 4 kids in tow. Huge loading and unloading ordeal...me grumpy...hot...repeating "Buckle up." "Don't touch your sister!" "Please sit down." No, you cannot open the dog food..."

I say, let Hilda our delivery lady bring it (she likes to!).

I live in biggish city, so we have lots of shopping options here.

There aren't a lot of things on there that are cheaper than I can buy them for, but there are few things that are more expensive that make it worth while, especially if I can save the max on them.

We buy  Salt Sticks electrolyte capsules and Nuun tablets which are both over $20-25/package.   Adding the extra percentage off, makes them cheaper on S&S by $5-10 package from what I can buy in town.  Then I add a few things that have minimal savings, just to make sure I have enough to get the discount on the more $$ items. One thing I have started doing is having it deliver every 2 months, to make it easier to hit the 5 item mark. 

We currently buy (frequency varies)

Aveno Face Wipes

Alba shave cream

Plastic shower curtain liners

Hansen soda (they used to have a great deal but have been sold out for months)

Bounce unscented dryer sheets

Hair mask

Tgel

AFresh washer tablets

Shout color catchers

Neutrogena face wash

Crew hair gel

exam gloves (I use them for handling hamburger etc)

Toilet paper (I walk home, so it's not easy for me to lug a pack of 27 rolls home!)

Dog treats from Natural Balance

Dog chewies like duck and chicken feet or pig ears

Canned cat and dog food (again, I walk home)

Candies without food coloring (if I could get near my home, that'd probably be cheaper, but I can't)

Mrs. Meyer's spray cleaners (ditto)

Bulk packages of deodorant

Toothpaste

Laundry soap

Eco-friendly dishwashing soap and sponges

Maple syrup

Honey

Fair trade turbinado and muscado sugars

Fair trade cocoa

Fair trade extracts

Bandaids

Bulk garbage and recycle bags

Dog poop bags

Olive oil

I don't mind spending slightly more for a product if it's really inconvenient for me to lug home on my back.

I usually have more than 5 items (a lot of pills I take daily or often need around, like generic Claritin and melatonin). But if for some reason my list is below 5 when I get the monthly reminder, it helps to look at my weekly shopping list and see if there's something on it I could add to subscribe and save. There are some things I don't ever think about putting on my Amazon list, but then it's a light bulb going off. 

I get toilet paper, liquid stevia, coconut oil, and vitamin D3 via subscribe n save. The nearest store is 20 minutes away. I love not ever running out of TP.

I also buy cat litter, cat flea treatment, batteries, deodorant, disposable cleaning wipes (take away my crunchy street cred -- those things are awesome), floss picks, and toothpaste from Prime. Some of them may come as subscribe n save items.

I just went through this the other day.  It's kind of annoying that they don't have a lot of the stuff I would buy monthly, or they have it in mega quantities that I can't use monthly.  But I finally figured out 5 things...

• Carefresh guinea pig litter - the original item that got me started.
  • Toilet paper - always gonna need that, and it's bulky so nice to not need to buy it at the store every time.
  • Disposable razors.  My kid keeps stealing mine.
  • Mixed nuts.
  • Trail mix.

I just added a bunch of new things to my subscribe and save thanks to this thread - hadn't thought of shaving gel or kind bars!

I see a lot of TP on the list. Which brand? I'm on the hunt for new TP ever since Charmin changed their Charmin Basic TP. 

I mostly do supplements - they are either the same price as everywhere else, or cheaper.  and with my amazon visa - I get 5% back, so they're cheaper.

but I've done vacuum bags, mop heads, bath salts, my favorite yogi herb throat comfort tea (did make my very sore throat feel better - and it's very yummy),  toiletries.

Multiple people have said Sunbutter, and I thought that was a grand idea.  But it doesn't show up in the Subscribe and Save shop for me.  :glare:

Looks like the "Don't Go Nuts" brand is available: https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Go-Nuts-Nut-Free-Slightly/dp/B00QSP9C1Y/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1498010051&sr=8-1&keywords=sunbutter+subscribe+and+save

I normally have a pretty robust order: batteries, Scrub Daddies, shower gel, razors, canned pumpkin (I eat a lot of canned pumpkin), Tasty Bite microwaveable meals, face cream, trash bags, dishwasher tabs, baby wipes, printer paper, etc...

but if I ever find myself running short, I use this blog site (not everything's up to date but it gets ideas flowing) to find some cheap items to add.

Remember you can always add an item, get it one month and then cancel it. You can also adjust the frequency of delivery. Some items I only have scheduled once every six months.

I get three different cases of Hansen's diet sodas and my Aquaphor lip balm and melatonin every three months.  I could get the last two in the store for the same $, but want that 15% discount :-)

I dislike that now Amazon, instead of offering a bucks media credit if I choose regular delivery over two-day is now offering $5 towards Prime Pantry. There is NOTHING in Amazon's pantry I need or can't already get cheaper locally.  But then I am not rural or in a food desert.  So I am sticking with two-day free Prime delivery.

San Francisco coffee k cups. Great coffee, and cheap

How much per cup?  I tend to only buy k cups 40 cents or less per cup.  Sometimes Sams Club or Woodman's has 37 cents per cup.

Never mind - checked Amazon and just added this to my July order!  Cheaper than Sam's/Woodmans! 

Edited by JFSinIL

Regular buys:

+ Vitamins & supplements

+ IZZE Sodas 

+ Mrs. Meyers handsoap (3 pack)

+ Neutrogena Grapefruit Face wash (3 pack)

+ guitar strings

+ Sparkle paper towels

+ Flax seed oil

+ dish washer detergent

Also, there are some some cheapies that I leave on the list if I'm nearing below 5 items, such as:

+ Single tube Colgate MaxFresh toothpaste

Look at the coupon page to get ideas for cheap-with-coupon items .... such as:

+ nuts

The wild price fluctuations caused me to cancel ALL of my subscribe and save items, and I used to use it for a bunch of stuff.

I get toilet paper shipped from Target now. It's 10% off for subscription plus 5% red card discount, and even if it's not on sale that time, the price isn't crazy jacked up. They carry Depends.