Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW1: Welcome to an adventurous prime reading new year!

Robin M

I've never paid attention to the gender of an author, whether books for me or for my dc. It never occurred to me to do so. Now I wonder which way my reading has skewed. 

Thinking about it now, my top 3 books of 2016 were by male authors. I'll have to look back at my list.

• Like 13

Jumping in quickly to say that one of my favourite cozy authors Miranda James is actually a man. He also writes as Dean James. https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3237942.Miranda_James. To be honest I don't care for the Dean James books but would list Miranda pretty high on a cozy author list.

I read quite a few women authors because my comfort reading is in genres dominated by women authors. In general I don't look for my other reading. Never looked for the kids and they didn't care. Ds(about 10 yo) did go through a phase when he only wanted books with male protagonists but he didn't care who the author was.

• Like 15

Interesting question.  I don't intentionally look for female authors as I care more about the writing and the story.  I'm an equal opportunity reader.  :laugh:

Out of the 49 authors I read last years (lots of series), 34 are female. I also don't look for or keep track of female versus male protagonists or antagonists.   Hubby reads mainly male authors because he reads alot of nonfiction.  I think  my son is also drawn to just male authors but both he and hubby like to read about war and spies, male dominated subjects. 

• Like 17

It's been said, but I have to say it, too -- I can't keep up with this thread! So please consider your post "liked" if I missed it and hi to everyone joining! I'm new-ish to these threads. I posted a little last year and am so happy some of you have connected on Goodreads. Just in case anyone missed my last post and is wondering -- yes, I changed my user name (from CaladwenEleniel) but my avatar is the same.

Kareni -- if you see this, I've been thinking of you and hope things are going well.

Books finished since my last post here: The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah (Poirot mystery) and The Vegetarian by Han Kan, translated to English by Deborah Smith. The Vegetarian is for my "translated" book bingo square. One of the comments on the front said "For the fans of Haruki Murakami". I did think about seeking out a Murakami book but I spent all my book money this month already and my library didn't have anything I wanted last time I checked. So I don't know if it would be loved by Murakami fans 

Books in progress: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari on audio and Venetia by Georgette Heyer (e-book). I've never read a Heyer book and so I figured I'd give this a whirl for the Flufferton square. I wanted to try a different on but my library has no books by her! I must have picked up Venetia during a sale a long time ago and I am hoping to finish it and not only fill in a square but also get to my goal of reading all the unread stuff on my Kindle.

• Like 15

I finally finished my first book!  Dead Simple by Peter James. It was only okay. I'm always on the hunt for a new mystery series to jump into, and this is the first in his Roy Grace series.

I found it a little irritating. Grace didn't seem connected to the case the way that most detectives are in the fiction I read. The victim is buried alive in a coffin, so time is an issue, but other than an occasional mention that they need to find him quickly, there isn't a great sense of urgency. Grace spends a couple of the days testifying at a court case, takes an afternoon to plow through a pile of unrelated paperwork, goes on TWO dates, has a dentist appointment, and goes to a poker game.

There is another detective working on the case (Grace gets called in to help), but the two of them don't bond or spend time puzzling things out together. And that other detective also spends time on other things -- takes a weekend away with his family, goes home when babysitting for his kids falls through, etc. Grace mentions that there are a hundred offers out looking for the coffin, but he doesn't participate in the search himself or interact with any of the searchers. There is just a sense of disconnection for me.

Those things slowed down the pace of the story, and I couldn't buy the lack of urgency, given the dire situation. I also am drawn toward stories that have complex characters, and I found the characters here to be rather flat.

I also was annoyed at the description of the primary female character, who is twenty-something but dresses in linen skirts or suits and always seems to be wearing a blouse. The descriptions were out of touch with the way people dress today. It seemed like lazy writing to me.

On to the next one!

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 16

It's been said, but I have to say it, too -- I can't keep up with this thread! So please consider your post "liked" if I missed it and hi to everyone joining! I'm new-ish to these threads. I posted a little last year and am so happy some of you have connected on Goodreads. Just in case anyone missed my last post and is wondering -- yes, I changed my user name (from CaladwenEleniel) but my avatar is the same.

Kareni -- if you see this, I've been thinking of you and hope things are going well.

Books finished since my last post here: The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah (Poirot mystery) and The Vegetarian by Han Kan, translated to English by Deborah Smith. The Vegetarian is for my "translated" book bingo square. One of the comments on the front said "For the fans of Haruki Murakami". I did think about seeking out a Murakami book but I spent all my book money this month already and my library didn't have anything I wanted last time I checked. So I don't know if it would be loved by Murakami fans

Books in progress: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari on audio and Venetia by Georgette Heyer (e-book). I've never read a Heyer book and so I figured I'd give this a whirl for the Flufferton square. I wanted to try a different on but my library has no books by her! I must have picked up Venetia during a sale a long time ago and I am hoping to finish it and not only fill in a square but also get to my goal of reading all the unread stuff on my Kindle.

I finished my Murakami this afternoon and am now wondering if I should take a look at The Vegetarian. I know I saw it someplace in my recent book searches.

I really enjoyed Norwegian Woods and hope everyone else has a good Murakami experience too. I have a couple more Murakami's that I hope to read this month but I need to work on my stack and Garnet books first. If I don't finish the Murakami books this year there is always next January.! ;)

Jenn, I thought of your son while reading too. Especially when they were describing some rural areas as being rather desolate. I'm curious if that's still true? Has he read any Murakami books?

• Like 14

I finally finished my first book!  Dead Simple by Peter James. It was only okay. I'm always on the hunt for a new mystery series to jump into, and this is the first in his Roy Grace series.

I found it a little irritating. Grace didn't seem connected to the case the way that most detectives are in the fiction I read. The victim is buried alive in a coffin, so time is an issue, but other than an occasional mention that they need to find him quickly, there isn't a great sense of urgency. Grace spends a couple of the days testifying at a court case, takes an afternoon to plow through a pile of unrelated paperwork, goes on TWO dates, has a dentist appointment, and goes to a poker game.

There is another detective working on the case (Grace gets called in to help), but the two of them don't bond or spend time puzzling things out together. And that other detective also spends time on other things -- takes a weekend away with his family, goes home when babysitting for his kids falls through, etc. Grace mentions that there are a hundred offers out looking for the coffin, but he doesn't participate in the search himself or interact with any of the searchers. There is just a sense of disconnection for me.

Those things slowed down the pace of the story, and I couldn't buy the lack of urgency, given the dire situation. I also am drawn toward stories that have complex characters, and I found the characters here to be rather flat.

I also was annoyed at the description of the primary female character, who is twenty-something but dresses in linen skirts or suits and always seems to be wearing a blouse. The descriptions were out of touch with the way people dress today. It seemed like lazy writing to me.

On to the next one!

So I'm not the only one who couldn't get into this series. I didn't think of all the things you said about this first book, but yeah. I thought I'd give the author a chance and try another one but the second one, Looking Good Dead, was really graphic and violent. I read a lot of crime fiction from cozy to hard boiled to police procedurals, so I'm not sensitive to violence if it moves the story along. The violence in that book seemed like it was just for shock value. I didn't finish it and gave up on the series. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 15

*looks longingly through the storefront window at all the goodies*

OK, I've wanted to do this with you guys for years now, but just haven't been able to commit. I have some questions. Feel free to link me to a thread that answers them, if there is one!

1) Do audiobooks count? I get way more books in via audio while cleaning/doing my paid work/driving these days than I do physically. It kills me, and one of my New Year's resolutions is to actually READ more, but I have so little time to do it, and when I do, I often fall right to sleep *sigh*

2) Can we average books out across the month? For example, if I have a busy week and can't finish something but then finish two the next week, does that count?

3) I swear there was another... Maybe I'll come back and add it :lol: 

• Like 20

*looks longingly through the storefront window at all the goodies*

OK, I've wanted to do this with you guys for years now, but just haven't been able to commit. I have some questions. Feel free to link me to a thread that answers them, if there is one!

1) Do audiobooks count? I get way more books in via audio while cleaning/doing my paid work/driving these days than I do physically. It kills me, and one of my New Year's resolutions is to actually READ more, but I have so little time to do it, and when I do, I often fall right to sleep *sigh*

2) Can we average books out across the month? For example, if I have a busy week and can't finish something but then finish two the next week, does that count?

3) I swear there was another... Maybe I'll come back and add it :lol:

Polishes fingerprints off the window again and opens the door.  Come on in doll!

Yes and Yes!  Take your time, enjoy your reads or listens as the case may be and be sure to drop in more often.

:thumbup1:

• Like 20

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Yes -- we'll be here when you think of it! :lol:

Polishes fingerprints off the window again and opens the door.  Come on in doll!

Yes and Yes!  Take your time, enjoy your reads or listens as the case may be and be sure to drop in more often.

:thumbup1:

Thank you both! I was so proud of myself for finally finishing Jane Eyre at the end of the year, I really want to keep that going. 

My library has By Gaslight available right now, so I just paid my outstanding fines so I can go pick it up tomorrow :D

Looking forward to this  :cheers2: .

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 17

I listened to the audible version of the play Copenhagen this week. This version has Benedict Cumberbatch as Werner Heisenberg. The play imagines what happened in the mysterious 1941 meeting between Heisenberg and Niels Bohr. I think it would be best to know a bit about the physicists and the mysterious meeting before listening.

We saw a live performance last night, and everyone in the family loved the play. I was the only one who listened to the audiobook ahead of time. It's good :)

• Like 15

I'm about 10 hours into my audiobook, Circling the Sun, and we have yet to encounter anything to do with aviation save a comment here and there on its burgeoning appearance as a mode of transportation. There are only another two hours to go in the book and I'm fascinated that the author has spent most of the book writing about Beryl's childhood in Kenya, the land itself, her growing up years and adulthood, her love of horses and talent as a trainer, before getting into what she was famous for, flying. Not complaining though. Africa is the real star of this book, the author's descriptions of its beauty, its rawness, its power are wonderful. 

Edited by shukriyya
  • Like 17

I'm about 10 hours into my audiobook, Circling the Sun, and we have yet to encounter anything to do with aviation save a comment here and there on its burgeoning appearance as a mode of transportation. There are only another two hours to go in the book and I'm fascinated that the author has spent most of the book writing about Beryl's childhood in Kenya, the land itself, her growing up years and adulthood, her love of horses and talent as a trainer, before getting into what she was famous for, flying. Not complaining though. Africa is the real star of this book, the author's descriptions of its beauty, its rawness, its power are wonderful. 

If you haven't yet read Beryl Markham's own book, West with the Night, I highly, highly recommend it. (Plus, it's by a female author! ;) :) )

I've read both of these, with two separate book clubs and enjoyed them both although they are very different and focus on very different aspects of her life.  After our most recent one (Circling the Sun) we rabbit trailed into Out of Africa and then watched the movie.  It was quite interesting to come at that same time frame and many of the same people from so many different perspectives.

On an unrelated note, I finished reading Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggins to the kids.  I usually count books that are large like this that I'm reading out loud in my own personal total for the year, as I really have read the book!  So that's book #3 for me.  The kids enjoyed the first half of the book more than the last half where time really speeds up (DS:  One chapter she's 16 and then the next she's 17!  I'm so confused.) - which mirrors my feelings to a degree. Having read the Anne and Emily books by L.M. Montgomery, this felt similar in nature but it did feel rushed at the end.  I'm torn as to whether or not to keep it.  I don't think either of the kids or I will read it again but it is the copy I read as a kid and even then it was quite old as this version was published in 1950.  Maybe one of my grandkids would read it... Sigh, decisions.

• Like 17

On Wuthering Heights, I deliberately didn't assign it, despite being somewhat of a fan. It comes under my heading of 'Not Good For Maturing Readers' along with Sylvia Plath. 

My first experience with Plath was a poem she had written about pregnancy, and I was flummoxed as to why anyone would eat an entire bag of green apples.  :lol:  I figured it out after reading the poem a few times. I was the only one in my class who did. 

• Like 13

I listened to the audible version of the play Copenhagen this week. This version has Benedict Cumberbatch as Werner Heisenberg. The play imagines what happened in the mysterious 1941 meeting between Heisenberg and Niels Bohr. I think it would be best to know a bit about the physicists and the mysterious meeting before listening.

We saw a live performance last night, and everyone in the family loved the play. I was the only one who listened to the audiobook ahead of time. It's good :)

I love this play and had no idea that a Cumberbatch audio version existed. Heart be still!

In fact, when I ran across a copy of Copenhagen mistakenly placed with travel books at the last library book sale, I bought the copy to send to one of our fellow BaWers, Idnib, suspecting she would be smitten. She was

ETA: There is also a BBC television production starring Daniel Craig. My library has that.

If you haven't yet read Beryl Markham's own book, West with the Night, I highly, highly recommend it. (Plus, it's by a female author! ;) :) )

Note to BaWers doing the gem stone challenge: Both emeralds and aquamarines are forms of beryl. This might be a clever way of working Beryl Markham or Beryl Bainbridge into your reading. ;)

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 16

I just finished my first book of the year. It was Den of Wolves by Juliette Marillier. The genre is historical fantasy and I love all the books that I have read of hers. This book is the third book in her Blackthorn and Grim series. This series is about 2 people who were broken out of jail by a fey creature and their quest for justice and healing.

• Like 13

I am listening to Eldest by Christopher Paolini. I tried to read the first book but kept falling asleep due to the pages and pages of over description. My daughter checked the audiobook out of the library and we became hooked. The story is good and we just tune out when the descriptions become laborious.

• Like 10

You guys! I just went and saw La-La Land. If you have a chance to see this movie, I highly recommend it. It was wonderful. If you've ever had a dream, followed a dream, or wondered about the road not taken, this movie will touch your heart.  My poor dh was surrounded by three weeping women.  My dd10 said at the end, "I don't even know why I'm crying!" It was that good.

• Like 16

First week done (or should I wait until next week's thread to post this?) and I read:

Conspiracy Theory - The Einstein Prophesy

Classic I've never read - The Secret Garden

Made into a Disney Movie (although I may do another, this was too simple) - Tuck Everlasting

Recommended by Someone Else - The Devouring

And I added a bunch of books to my list, that don't fit into any of my categories so may have to go under "Just for Fun".

• Like 17

Not having read the reviews, I had anticipated The Underground Railroad being historical fiction. Rather, Whitehead's novel is of the same speculative style used by Chabon in The Yiddish Policemen's Union, an alternate history with kernels of truth that resonate in the history we were taught and the history that we have since learned.  Fanciful makes the book sound light and happy--which it is not. But there are fanciful elements to it that have given me pause.

I'm about two thirds into the book, moving quickly as it is a page turner and the stinking weather is keeping me indoors. 

Interesting. My copy turned up after a neighbor dropped it off but near my back door, which is uncovered. Luckily DS found it before the rain! I'm in the 2nd chapter, having finished The Plover first this morning.

I love this play and had no idea that a Cumberbatch audio version existed. Heart be still!

In fact, when I ran across a copy of Copenhagen mistakenly placed with travel books at the last library book sale, I bought the copy to send to one of our fellow BaWers, Idnib, suspecting she would be smitten. She was

ETA: There is also a BBC television production starring Daniel Craig. My library has that.

Loved the book!  I think if you place it in travel books, it means you must go visit, yes? I need to see about that production....

• Like 13

I finished Finding Manana while iced in today. It was an interesting overview of the history of Cuba from Batista through the Mariel boatlift told from the perspective of a girl who was 16 in 1980 when she arrived in Key West. I'm glad I read it. I am going to send it to my niece who was really moved by the raft we saw Christmas morning.

Next I am going to read a book of Robert Burns poetry before Burns Night festivities in three weeks.

• Like 12

Books in progress: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari on audio 

That must have been good? I really enjoyed his Coursera course a few years back. That guy is a master of deadpan humour.

I finished my first book of the year, reading aloud 'Alice in Wonderland' to dd. I am very superstitious about my first book of the year. Ok, I feel superstitious about my first book of the year without actually believing in my superstition. I have significant cognitive dissonance relating to my first book of the year? Anyway... :leaving:

Now we've got 'Neurocomic' (supposed to be based off Alice, but I'm thick with metaphors so probably won't notice) and 'Alice in Numberland' to look at. I am very sad that 'Alice in Pastaland' is too expensive to purchase at the moment. I am excited, though, that we're going to see Alice at the ballet later this year. AND, just for a further piece of Alice-y serendipity, we went to see the yearly sand sculpture exhibition down at the beach on Friday arvo, and found several of the scenes we'd been reading earlier in the day! Cool, huh?

Shukriyya mentioned Mahabarat, and we just started watching it on youtube this week! We started watching a few years ago, but were forced to leave off when the boy took half of the dvds and stuffed them into the DVD player... The bling. The bling is blinding. I love a bit of bling.

Oh great. I think I've only read 'Does my head look big in this'. We did it for teen book club one year; it was a good book for discussion.

Yeah. I, of course, read it as an adult. I thought it was dodgy (Muslim 'Looking for Alibrandi',) but very important as the beginning of a new genre. Now that I've read a few more early teen Muslimy books, I find it a little less dodgy.

That must have been good? I really enjoyed his Coursera course a few years back. That guy is a master of deadpan humour.

I finished my first book of the year, reading aloud 'Alice in Wonderland' to dd. I am very superstitious about my first book of the year. Ok, I feel superstitious about my first book of the year without actually believing in my superstition. I have significant cognitive dissonance relating to my first book of the year? Anyway... :leaving:

Now we've got 'Neurocomic' (supposed to be based off Alice, but I'm thick with metaphors so probably won't notice) and 'Alice in Numberland' to look at. I am very sad that 'Alice in Pastaland' is too expensive to purchase at the moment. I am excited, though, that we're going to see Alice at the ballet later this year. AND, just for a further piece of Alice-y serendipity, we went to see the yearly sand sculpture exhibition down at the beach on Friday arvo, and found several of the scenes we'd been reading earlier in the day! Cool, huh?

Shukriyya mentioned Mahabarat, and we just started watching it on youtube this week! We started watching a few years ago, but were forced to leave off when the boy took half of the dvds and stuffed them into the DVD player... The bling. The bling is blinding. I love a bit of bling.

Lots of deadpan humor. It is read by someone else, Derek Perkins, but I am still enjoying it so far. I admit I am listening at a bit faster than normal speed most of the time because it is a 15 hour book and I am impatient. 

I've been reading Alice in Wonderland to the kids for months and I'm not sure we've gotten out of chapter one. I only read half a page at a time when I remember the book exists. I deserve no such Alice serendipity in my life as you enjoy -- but am very excited to hear you will be off to the ballet! 

Since you are having superstitions that you don't believe in, here is a quote from Sapiens for you :)

Ă¢â‚¬Å“Consistency is the playground of dull minds.Ă¢â‚¬Â 

Ă¢â‚¬â€¢Â Yuval Noah Harari, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

• Like 14

13 pages? I leave for two days and come back to 13 pages.  You ladies have been busy.

I got lucky and DH was able to drive with me to take DS back to his university. I was able to get lots of reading done. I finished my third book, barely, and my fourth.

#3 - Thru Hiking Will Break Your Heart by Carrot Quinn. I only finished it because I had checked it out from the Kindle Owner's Library and it has been sitting on my Kindle for about 4 months, making me feel guilty. I really wished I had read the reviews on this particular book. I love reading hiking and backpacking accounts and was looking forward to reading this and getting that desire to hit the trail. The only thing I wanted to hit was a brick wall. This book was not at all what I expected, mainly due to poor writing and editing. It's like she took her blog entries and lumped them all together and said "I'll publish this as a book." but forgot to have someone actually read it as a book before hitting the publish button. There were so many inconsistencies in her personality and behavior that I thought she was young (early 20's) and inexperienced with life. I was startled when, almost at the end, she divulges she is turning 31.

DS gave me two of his Japanese lit in translation books and I read one of those during today's car ride, Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto. We were in the snowstorm that hit VA and reading aloud was a welcome distraction as we traversed the Blue Ridge Mountains. I swear I have read this before. Within a couple of pages the story seemed familiar but then the familiarity would wisp away. As I read the second half, that sense of familiarity returned and I could anticipate what was going to happen. I do not recollect having read this book but I know the story; it's kind of eerie. I liked the book, as did DH, who asked me to keep going when I stopped reading at the end. The book has an abrupt end and leaves the reader wondering what happens next. It's not a cliff hanger but more like "Okay, where's the rest of it?"

We're off of the second leg of our journey tomorrow and I have a stack of books, ebooks and print, to take along for the ride. I can only imagine what I"ll come back to for next week's thread.

Happy reading, my virtual Book Club.

• Like 18

Oooh, I wanna do this this year!  I am slow, though...not because I don't enjoy reading but because... Life?  BUT!  I finished the Amazing Mrs. Pollifax yesterday so I'm doing pretty well this year so far.   :lol:  :laugh:   

Now I need to figure out what to tackle next...

• Like 17

I had a couple false starts but finally found a book for this week. It's a Fred Vargas -- Sous Les Ventes De Neptune. It's a policier (I think that word is used in English too for the genre? It's like a police based mystery)

Two questions if anyone is able to answer one or the other:

1.)Re: Haruki Murakami -- I am an incredible wimp about sad and scary images in books. I really don't like to cry, be sad or depressed. I more or less burned Kite Runner after the first few pages despite everyone's urging to "just keep reading, it gets better" and I truly and legitimately wish someone would have redacted the bit about killing babies from The Brothers Karamazov because it gave me nightmares for two years (as an adult and mother). Beth dying in Little Women is about my maximum. Maybe The Notebook if I know it is going to make me cry in advanced. So the question is, is he an author I should try?

2.) DH and I decided we would each choose a book off the Great Books list to read and discuss this year. His choice is likely going to be Kant or something very philosophy heavy. I was thinking about one of the science or math selections but I am not completely set on that. I don't want to choose anything so long it overwhelms the rest of our reading this year (not the Summa or War and Peace :)). Anyone have any favorites?

• Like 15

A rabbit trail before we move on to the next week.  I was looking at the gemstone challenge, wandered over to Google Books, and typed in garnet.  You might find a book you want to read OR you might waste lots of valuable reading time learning about:

• The Garnet Resource Area (Montana) Management Plan of 1985. It wasn't engaging enough for me to want to read the sequel (and see which of the five plans they picked), but if I'm ever in Montana I want to visit the Garnet Ghost Town.
  • The Tryal and Execution of Father Henry Garnet who was involved (maybe) in the Gunpowder Plots.  This from a description of the events written in 1679, where I learned that it is really hard to read print with the old looks-like-an-f letter s, and that nocent used to be used for guilty as the opposite of innocent. I'm not convinced that he knew about the plot ahead of time, but I only read the one source.
  • Henry Highland Garnet who was an African-American militant abolitionist in the 1800s.  I didn't research deeply (rabbit trail!), but my initial impression is that he was like a Malcolm X to Frederick Douglas's MLK Jr.  I'm interested in learning more.
  • A publishing company in the UK called Garnet Publishing where I was mostly engaged by a Lebanese cookbook, but they have some fiction, too!

And last, maybe I've learned why I don't finish books at the rate I used to.  Curse you wonderful internet!!

Edited by Joules
  • Like 15

I had a couple false starts but finally found a book for this week. It's a Fred Vargas -- Sous Les Ventes De Neptune. It's a policier (I think that word is used in English too for the genre? It's like a police based mystery)

Two questions if anyone is able to answer one or the other:

1.)Re: Haruki Murakami -- I am an incredible wimp about sad and scary images in books. I really don't like to cry, be sad or depressed. I more or less burned Kite Runner after the first few pages despite everyone's urging to "just keep reading, it gets better" and I truly and legitimately wish someone would have redacted the bit about killing babies from The Brothers Karamazov because it gave me nightmares for two years (as an adult and mother). Beth dying in Little Women is about my maximum. Maybe The Notebook if I know it is going to make me cry in advanced. So the question is, is he an author I should try?

2.) DH and I decided we would each choose a book off the Great Books list to read and discuss this year. His choice is likely going to be Kant or something very philosophy heavy. I was thinking about one of the science or math selections but I am not completely set on that. I don't want to choose anything so long it overwhelms the rest of our reading this year (not the Summa or War and Peace :)). Anyone have any favorites?

I hope somebody more knowledgeable than me answers both your questions, because I have the same ones. 

Loving this epic thread, even though I am just reading along. My TBR pile grows steadily larger!

• Like 13

(snip)

Are you selecting from a particular GB list?
  • Like 11

The only book I read of his was The Wind Up Bird Chronicles. It didn't have any death or violence in it. It left me going :blink: these people are weird (not necessarily in a bad way).
  • Like 12