Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW1: Welcome to an adventurous prime reading new year!

Robin M

Amy, 30 books! You'd better have plenty of reading time. Lol.

I feel your pain. Let's see. Today I mailed out six books. Donated a big bag of books. Returned some books to the library (but picked up almost as many that had come in for me). And, stopped by the Friends of the Library used bookstore & ended up buying some books (& dd did too).

Here's what I got at the sale for a few dollars:

IMG_1603.jpg

But, first, I need to finish reading my chunkster, then start on Murakami. And The Nest (for my book club).

Have you read any of Castaneda's other books? Ixtlan is the third of the original Don Juan trilogy. He was a very interesting and weird guy, and there's still a lot of controversy about whether Don Juan Matus ever existed or whether Castaneda made it all up. I met him once in the early 80s and he was not at all what I expected!

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 20

I don't think I'm ever going to catch up with this thread.

My last book of 2016 was Angel of Oblivion, sent to me by Jane. (Thank you again!) It's a poetic, semi-autobiographical novel about the Slovenian-speaking minority in southern Austria who fought as partisans in WWII. There's not much in the way of plot and character arc, which makes it a slow book, but the prose style is soft and comes in puffs, little clouds of scene or musing, and the content is interesting and unique, showing a corner of WWII that is looked over, even shrouded and intentionally left out of history books. It shows people demanding that their existence and their history be acknowledged but also fighting against the erroneous idea that they must be communists if they fought as partisans. 

This thread is Out of Control.

Yes, Angel of Oblivion is beautifully poetic which is why I sent it to you, Crstarlette.  I love how you describe the style coming "in puffs"--perfect! 

We often paint middle and Eastern Europe as homogeneous within their political boundaries but Angel of Oblivion reminds us that political boundaries are subject to the whims of war.  I had previously not heard of the Carinthian Slovenes.

• Like 17

The library has let me know that they have the 2016 National Book Award winner, The Underground Railroad, on hold for me.  Has anyone here read this?

No, I've got it on hold, but I'm #149, so it will be awhile.

I just picked up 4 books from the library and see I already have two more books waiting.  We can only put 20 on hold at a time, and I use my holds for my own personal reads and the girls' 20 each for school-related stuff.  So I may or may not have around 60 books on hold altogether . . .  :leaving:

But it takes forever to get new/popular books, so about half of my holds I won't see for a few months.  But, if I don't get in line now, I'll never get them.

I am also growing my dusty stack - oh how I wish for a dusty shelf in my bedroom! But I have to make do with a stack beside my bedside table (which is piled with the books I'm actually currently reading at the moment . . . )  I had the great idea that I could read one a month and get through that pile, but I think it's up to 15 or so now, so I'd better get cracking on it.

I started listening to Simon Winchester's Atlantic today.  I listened to the author read Pacific and Krakatoa last year, and I really enjoyed both books and his reading voice. This will be my Seaworthy book.  And for my Gothic square, Northanger Abbey!! I haven't read that one in years. I did listen to it a couple of years ago, but it's due for a re-read. Shannon and I are on a Jane Austen kick right now.  So fun to be sharing one of my favorite authors with my girl! Now to get her reading Georgette Heyer . . .  :coolgleamA:

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 20

Ladies!  I'm so excited.  One of my real life friends will be joining us on this thread.  She just signed up as HeatherinKC.  She reads a ton and has eclectic taste in books so she'll fit right in with our motley crew. 

That's me!  I'm real!  Amy speaks very fondly of this forum and I'm excited to spend more time talking about books.  After a quick perusal of the forum, I can see that my Goodreads to-read list is going to expand alarmingly.

I'm planning on completing the bingo challenge and I just got What I Talk About When I Talk About Running for the Murakami discussion since I've already read Norwegian Wood.  I've read most of Murakami's books since I'm a huge fan (and I love Japanese books in general!)

I'm currently flying through Attica Locke's Pleasantville (a law thriller about an African American community in 1990s Houston that is rocked by a murders and a missing girl that is related to the local election).  I've got a bunch of good books on the shelf ready for this year.

I'm really happy to be here. 

• Like 26

No, I haven't read the other ones. I realized when reading the cover jacket in the store that it was the 3rd one, but after standing there & reading a few pages, I figured it could probably stand on its own. I will give it a try & see. If I feel lost, I can always stop & track down the first two volumes.

Interesting about meeting him! If he was different than expected, how so?

His books were a huge deal in the 70s & 80s, and he became an almost mythic figure after he basically disappeared in the mid70s. I'd read the first 5 books in college, and in my head I pictured someone in his 30s, charismatic and mysterious and powerful, but when I met him he was just this funny little guy in his 50s with a high squeaky voice who was hitting on female grad students left and right! 

I was in the same grad dept as him, about 5 years after he got his PhD, and the professors had mixed opinions about his work. Some believed he was telling the truth, some believed he made the whole thing up, and some believed there was a kernel of truth that was slightly exaggerated in the first book, but the following books became an increasingly fictional means of generating income. 

• Like 15

That's me!  I'm real!  Amy speaks very fondly of this forum and I'm excited to spend more time talking about books.  After a quick perusal of the forum, I can see that my Goodreads to-read list is going to expand alarmingly.

I'm planning on completing the bingo challenge and I just got What I Talk About When I Talk About Running for the Murakami discussion since I've already read Norwegian Wood.  I've read most of Murakami's books since I'm a huge fan (and I love Japanese books in general!)

I'm currently flying through Attica Locke's Pleasantville (a law thriller about an African American community in 1990s Houston that is rocked by a murders and a missing girl that is related to the local election).  I've got a bunch of good books on the shelf ready for this year.

Welcome! Any friend of Amy's is a friend of ours  :cheers2:

• Like 17

Welcome Heather and happy to have you join in!   I've read both Cutting Season and Black Water Rising, both excellent reads.  I didn't know there was a followup in PleasantVille with Jay Porter.  See it works in reverse too. You've already added to my wishlist.      :thumbup1:

• Like 16

That's me! I'm real! Amy speaks very fondly of this forum and I'm excited to spend more time talking about books. After a quick perusal of the forum, I can see that my Goodreads to-read list is going to expand alarmingly.

I'm planning on completing the bingo challenge and I just got What I Talk About When I Talk About Running for the Murakami discussion since I've already read Norwegian Wood. I've read most of Murakami's books since I'm a huge fan (and I love Japanese books in general!)

I'm currently flying through Attica Locke's Pleasantville (a law thriller about an African American community in 1990s Houston that is rocked by a murders and a missing girl that is related to the local election). I've got a bunch of good books on the shelf ready for this year.

Welcome!

This thread really is out of control! I spent part part of my evening with the Bronte's, the Bronte quilts from the exhibition. Beautiful! http://www.homecoaching.co.uk/blog/tag/tracy-chevalier/ notice who is mentioned in the blog I linked. She is a quilter too!

Eta: Sorry I had several blogs up, Tracy Chevalier organized the main exhibition.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 14

Welcome Heather! 

I was #40 when I put myself on the list in November but it appears the system purchased some extra copies to help move things along.

His books were a huge deal in the 70s & 80s, and he became an almost mythic figure after he basically disappeared in the mid70s. I'd read the first 5 books in college, and in my head I pictured someone in his 30s, charismatic and mysterious and powerful, but when I met him he was just this funny little guy in his 50s with a high squeaky voice who was hitting on female grad students left and right! 

I was in the same grad dept as him, about 5 years after he got his PhD, and the professors had mixed opinions about his work. Some believed he was telling the truth, some believed he made the whole thing up, and some believed there was a kernel of truth that was slightly exaggerated in the first book, but the following books became an increasingly fictional means of generating income. 

Ahem.  As one of the older BaWers, I remember reading Castaneda's books back in the day.  Despite the questions concerning their authenticity, it seemed that people enjoyed reading them for what they were:  a lens outside of the ordinary.

This is why I cannot plan:  Having finished Niccolo #6, I am reading to launch with #7--or should I read Murakami next because its January? But wait--there is that library book I mentioned! I honestly have no clue how you long term reading planners exorcise serendipity from your lives.

And then there is Stacia...Off to see if my library has The Wandering Falcon.  The book looks interesting--and I do have a bit of a raptor obsession.  ;)

• Like 15

We're expecting snow tonight and the librarian commented when I picked up my large stack of books that I was stocking up for the storm like some people do with bread and milk.  LOL.  Yep! Bring on the blizzard!  Or dusting of snow.  Whatever. 

• Like 20

I finished two books -

My first true read of 2017 was Kathleen. It's a silly story about the madcap scheme of a literary club at Oxford. It was published in 1920. That gives me my first bingo square - Your Name in the Title. I wouldn't have read this if not for the bingo challenge but it was a quick, fun read.

I also finished the audible edition of Monk's Hood, Brother Cadfael #3. I started this one either just before or just after Christmas - I didn't mark it on Goodreads so I'm not sure.

I also started listening to Song of Solomon but I might have to read this instead. I've listened to Toni Morrison narrate her own books before and really enjoyed it - her voice is lovely. However, I think this was recorded before someone taught her how to read audio books. You can hear her breathing often and it's really distracting. I didn't get very far before I had to stop. 

Thanks for these links.  I saw Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi on there and it's on my TBR list so I think that's what I'm going to read for that square.

I read that last year, as did several other BaWers. I loved it and IIRC, so did all the others who read it.

Welcome Heather!

Have you read any of Castaneda's other books? Ixtlan is the third of the original Don Juan trilogy. He was a very interesting and weird guy, and there's still a lot of controversy about whether Don Juan Matus ever existed or whether Castaneda made it all up. I met him once in the early 80s and he was not at all what I expected!

I'm not a fan but I certainly know who is is/was. That's pretty cool that you met him. 

• Like 14

So I'm joining this thread again after a skipping reading the last 2 months. I spent new years eve reading one of the free amazon prime books and then read Girl on the Train. It was everything I was really hoping for which was a fun easy read with a twist at the end. I wanted to give myself some book candy before diving back into more heavy reading. Last year my goal was 52 books and I reached 44 so hopefully this year I can actually hit my goal. Now to go back and read the thread to see what everyone else here has been reading. 

• Like 16

The library has let me know that they have the 2016 National Book Award winner, The Underground Railroad, on hold for me.  Has anyone here read this?

I haven't, but I'll join you if you want. Someone on Reddit compiled a survey of which books appeared on all the end-of-year "best books" lists and I believe The Underground Railroad was on most of them. I admit I picked it up and then put it down at the airport bookstore last week and I've been regretting it ever since.

• Like 11

Finished my first two books. I wanted to clear my book shelves a little bit and also tackle some of the books I am embarrassed to never have read yet :)

Albert Camus's L'Étranger was at the top of the "how can you have never read that" list so I knocked it off first.  Weird existentialist stuff is not usually at the top of my list, no matter how classic, but I did like it quite a bit. 

Then I read La Délicatesse by David Foenkinos. This one had been sitting on my shelf a while and was only about 200 pages so I thought it would make a good start to the year. I completely LOVED this book and couldn't put it down by the end. It is a little more literary-artsy than I usually go for but that just made it a nice change of pace. It is possible this fits in the "flufferton" category I saw described above but I am not completely sure. I definitely had a goofy smile on my face a number of times from the halfway point on. There are lots of neat cultural references and many many literary references that just added to the "books I need to read" list. Definitely something I will pick up again for a rainy weekend. 

Oh and I guess there is a third book in here. Finished reading the Indian in the Cupboard aloud to my kids yesterday :) Rather glad that is over. They did like it but really weren't old enough to understand the serious side I think (at least not my 6 year old) so that made the last chapters kinda awkward. 

• Like 16

I

6. One book from any of the Endicott Studio lists:

http://endicottstudio.typepad.com/jom...

Thank you for mentioning this list!! Wonderful.

Ok you guys, I'll give Kafka on the Shore a try. No promises I'll actually complete it, but I'll give it a chance. 

I've no doubt that Rose can handle it, but I'm still a bit traumatized by Kafka on the Shore :ack2: . I'm halfway through Norwegian Wood and I'm still tense. Can I relax now? I can handle weirdness, I don't have a problem with weirdness, I like South-American magical realism, I just do not want to lose my lunch.

• Like 15

I just picked up 4 books from the library and see I already have two more books waiting. We can only put 20 on hold at a time, and I use my holds for my own personal reads and the girls' 20 each for school-related stuff. So I may or may not have around 60 books on hold altogether . . . :leaving:

Is that all 😠My library allows 30 holds per card so thats me and three kids equals ...well currently I have over 100 holds 😂. To be fair we start our new school year in January so I'm stocking up the school books for the term...but there is plenty in there ...not meant for kids. lol

• Like 13

I'd like to participate, but with an adjustment-I've come a long way towards regaining my lost German this past year (after 10 years' disuse), and want to start doing some of my reading in German.  But I read so, so much slower in German than in English, I thought my goal would be either just a chapter in German or a whole book in English, per week.  This week: chapter 1 of Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen.

• Like 22

Is that all 😠My library allows 30 holds per card so thats me and three kids equals ...well currently I have over 100 holds 😂. To be fair we start our new school year in January so I'm stocking up the school books for the term...but there is plenty in there ...not meant for kids. lol

I Am So Jealous! :blush5: We can only put 10 books on each card and only 5 holds.

After *extensive begging* I now have two library cards for each of my girls (so 8 library cards total), which makes it a bit easier. I want to move to America, that Overdrive you all are talking about sounds divine.

• Like 13

I'd like to participate, but with an adjustment-I've come a long way towards regaining my lost German this past year (after 10 years' disuse), and want to start doing some of my reading in German.  But I read so, so much slower in German than in English, I thought my goal would be either just a chapter in German or a whole book in English, per week.  This week: chapter 1 of Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen.

Sounds like a GREAT goal! Cheering you on. :hurray:

• Like 10

I just finished Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

I cheated.  I finished section 11 of 12 last night around 9pm and knew I needed to go to bed.  The 12th section was an hour long (audiobook), but I really, really, really wanted to know the ending, so I looked online and found it.  I was disappointed and read the negative reviews about how horrible the ending was, what a letdown, etc.....

But this am, I woke up early and listened to the rest, and you know what?  It wasn't nearly as bad as all those naysayers said it would be.  At least not to me.

I LOVED all the discussion about elephant preservation, and I loved reading about Amboseli  (where I have been several times as I grew up in Kenya) and South Africa and Tanzania.  I have never been to Tanzania but have been to the other two.

And last night, after realizing how much I am enjoying reading about where I have been in the past, I decided to just read books that I want to read for now, the ones about places I have been, that I would love to go back to someday, and books that, for whatever reason, I haven't taken the time to read.

Next up:  No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Some others I will plan to read this year:

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

Speak Swahili, Dammit

A Long Way Gone

Heart of Darkness

(some of these are re-reads but it has been so long since I have read them that I want to read them again.)

• Like 15

I haven't, but I'll join you if you want. Someone on Reddit compiled a survey of which books appeared on all the end-of-year "best books" lists and I believe The Underground Railroad was on most of them. I admit I picked it up and then put it down at the airport bookstore last week and I've been regretting it ever since.

I shall pick up The Underground Railroad from the library after I drop The Boy off at the airport tomorrow. With the hold list, I'll have to hop to it since I'll only have the book for a week.

Initially I was tempted to add a frowny emoticon to the first sentence above but I cannot.  We have loved having The Boy here for two weeks but he has his own life to live. The world is his oyster.  He is making good choices and one cannot help but be excited for him--and whatever the future may hold!

• Like 17

Hello BAWers!!!  I have not been in this forum for over two years.  The last two years have been filled with a divorce, new job, kids going back to public school, oldest child graduating high school and a new very adorable but very unplanned baby boy who is now 8 months old.  I have not read much in those 2 years but miss it tremendously.  Over this christmas break, my 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with a bleeding cavernous angioma in her brain.  Looks like brain surgery is going to happen.  That has been stressful and scary.

I don't really have a goal for this year as far as reading. I know I felt "at home" when I logged in and came to this group for book ideas. Nice to see you all (or most of you) stil here.  I have a few books on hold at the library that should be here soon!!!

Take Care

Chandi

• Like 19

I shall pick up The Underground Railroad from the library after I drop The Boy off at the airport tomorrow. With the hold list, I'll have to hop to it since I'll only have the book for a week.

Initially I was tempted to add a frowny emoticon to the first sentence above but I cannot. We have loved having The Boy here for two weeks but he has his own life to live. The world is his oyster. He is making good choices and one cannot help but be excited for him--and whatever the future may hold!

When I left my parents after Christmas, I was thinking how I have been leaving them for almost 30 years now. And they let us go live our lives and they don't cry. I'm not sure how great I will be at that...

Which brings me back to Finding Manana... It truly is a book about people who leave to find a better tomorrow. Ugh. How hard.

• Like 13

Stacia, I just wanted to mention that I gave Wuthering Heights to Middle Girl and she loved it. It's one of her favorite books now; tied with Tristram Shandy. Corrupting the youth of Athens!

Total blush here.... I loved Wuthering Heights at your dd's age. For years it was one of my favourites. I understand Stacia's point of view totally but I still enjoy an occasional reread. My dd isn't quite the fan I was.... :(

Stacia, Are we still friends?

I've no doubt that Rose can handle it, but I'm still a bit traumatized by Kafka on the Shore :ack2: . I'm halfway through Norwegian Wood and I'm still tense. Can I relax now? I can handle weirdness, I don't have a problem with weirdness, I like South-American magical realism,

I'm at the halfway point too. Enjoying it but waitng for the ??????? To happen!

I finished the second book in a good paranormal series. The InCripid series is not a vampire/demon type paranormal but more of a magical beings who "walk" amongst the human population and pass for human. The main character is someone who was raised to help and protect the cyiped population. Definitely planning to read the rest.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17409133-midnight-blue-light-special

I also finished Hillbilly Elegy. It was very interesting and I really liked it. I won't say more since many of our new members are reading it. One word of advice, I thought it was a bit long winded about a third of the way in but it picks up and is really worthwhile after. So don't give up on it because you think you know the ending....obviously you do. ;) But the last half is insightful.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29890212-hillbilly-elegy

• Like 14

Thank you for this! It looks like just my kind of group. Joined and planning to take on their challenge offerings. Btw if you're looking for options for #2 look no farther than The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by the fab A.S. Byatt. I read it for the magical realism challenge I set for myself here a couple of years ago. It's wonderful, writing and tale both.

Excellent! I will be in good company then. The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye looks fantastic. There is a djinn-related group read right now, so I'll complete the djinn part of the challenge with one of the group reads, but maybe the Byatt book will be my BaW BINGO short story collection.

So, I'm a 'victim' of BAW peer pressure. Shopped the 'in translation' shelves of my library today - takes a lot to get me out of my British/North American fiction preferences (rut), but here I am with something Japanese :)

The Nakano Thrift Shop - no idea what it will be like.

Looks fun! Thanks for mentioning this one.

• Like 15

This is why I cannot plan:  Having finished Niccolo #6, I am reading to launch with #7--or should I read Murakami next because its January? But wait--there is that library book I mentioned! I honestly have no clue how you long term reading planners exorcise serendipity from your lives.

See, for me, it's just like homeschool planning - having a plan is what creates the space for comfortable serendipity. I like to plan, I find it fun, but I wander off my chosen path willy nilly, all the time! Often because somebody here starts talking about an intriguing book, or posts a link to something that looks great.  Actually, I think the thing I like the most about my BigBingo card is that I can truly read anything I want and still get to mark off a Bingo Square  ;)  :D

I also started listening to Song of Solomon but I might have to read this instead. I've listened to Toni Morrison narrate her own books before and really enjoyed it - her voice is lovely. However, I think this was recorded before someone taught her how to read audio books. You can hear her breathing often and it's really distracting. I didn't get very far before I had to stop. 

I know what you mean. I usually like it when an author reads their books, but not always - not all good writers are good readers. There's definitely a skill to making it sound good without being distracting.  Not all books are good for audios, either, i've realized. I like to listen to nonfiction, but stories I much prefer reading.  I started listening to Neil Gaiman read Neverwhere the other day, then I realized I really wanted to read the book, not listen - despite the fact that he's a great reader and I loved the audio version of Good Omens. I'm happier listening to Simon Winchester read Atlantic.

Also if the book jumps around in time a lot or has any kind of a nonlinear narrative, I tend to prefer to read rather than listen - I like to be able to flip around in the book. Come to think of it, that's also the main reason I don't like reading on my Kindle.

Thank you for mentioning this list!! Wonderful.

I've no doubt that Rose can handle it, but I'm still a bit traumatized by Kafka on the Shore :ack2: . I'm halfway through Norwegian Wood and I'm still tense. Can I relax now? I can handle weirdness, I don't have a problem with weirdness, I like South-American magical realism, I just do not want to lose my lunch.

Ok, hold the phones:  I don't want to lose my lunch either!!! I don't know anything about KotS, can anyone enlighten me without massive spoilers? Or I guess I can just go read a review.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 15

When my Oldest son was assigned Wuthering Heights in High School he was so miserable. He hated it but felt that he had to finish it. I got it for him on audio and he listened to it at the gym. I love to imagine my big Captain of the Wrestling team listening to Bronte and lifting. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 13

Also if the book jumps around in time a lot or has any kind of a nonlinear narrative, I tend to prefer to read rather than listen - I like to be able to flip around in the book. Come to think of it, that's also the main reason I don't like reading on my Kindle.

This is my problem with the Kindle as well. I flip back so many times when I am reading a book and with a physical book I remember where I need to flip back to but, with the Kindle, I'm completely lost. And leaving bookmarks doesn't work because I don't know but I'm going to want to flip back to a section until I read something later.

It's also a side effect of reading a little too fast. I get so anxious to know what happens, I start missing the fact that I am reading for the pleasure of words on a page too. So then I end up needing to go back to fill in the extra details I missed when racing forward.

• Like 12

See, for me, it's just like homeschool planning - having a plan is what creates the space for comfortable serendipity. I like to plan, I find it fun, but I wander off my chosen path willy nilly, all the time! Often because somebody here starts talking about an intriguing book, or posts a link to something that looks great.  Actually, I think the thing I like the most about my BigBingo card is that I can truly read anything I want and still get to mark off a Bingo Square  ;)  :D

It's funny you mention home ed planning being similar to bingo planning because I just realized I feel the same way. I spent several really fun hours planning my bingo card last night. I have several choices for many categories all with my own note system etc. This morning while driinking my tea and reflecting on how much fun I had last night it occurred to me it was rather like planning home ed, same sot of satisfaction. Now you say it too!

This is my problem with the Kindle as well. I flip back so many times when I am reading a book and with a physical book I remember where I need to flip back to but, with the Kindle, I'm completely lost. And leaving bookmarks doesn't work because I don't know but I'm going to want to flip back to a section until I read something later.

It's also a side effect of reading a little too fast. I get so anxious to know what happens, I start missing the fact that I am reading for the pleasure of words on a page too. So then I end up needing to go back to fill in the extra details I missed when racing forward.

Regarding kindles, normally I take the time to put my books onto two devices which makes it easy to go backwards on one and resync later. It's also easier to flip back on a fire instead of a reader.

• Like 14

Same here. Except I stopped reading German 17 years ago. That's a long freaking time. Too long. Bad me. Bad. I just read that book last month. I will start the next soon. Harry Potter is a great way to ease back into reading German. 

• Like 14

I also finished Hillbilly Elegy. It was very interesting and I really liked it. I won't say more since many of our new members are reading it. One word of advice, I thought it was a bit long winded about a third of the way in but it picks up and is really worthwhile after. So don't give up on it because you think you know the ending....obviously you do. ;) But the last half is insightful.

I have Hillbilly Elegy on my TBR list, but I've been #5 on the wait list for... ever. Not sure what's happening. Same thing with Joe Buck's autobiography. #5 in perpetuity. I think my holds list just isn't updating correctly. Both of them and Norwegian Wood will probably come in at the same time, given my luck.

• Like 13

Same here. Except I stopped reading German 17 years ago. That's a long freaking time. Too long. Bad me. Bad. I just read that book last month. I will start the next soon. Harry Potter is a great way to ease back into reading German. 

That's my situation with French.  I did read one French book (which I'd never read before and which was, oddly, a translation from German) a couple of years ago when my kids were taking French classes.  Still aiming for only one book this year.  I was thinking L'Etranger as I last read that some 20+ years ago.  Although the lure of an unread book is strong.

On other fronts, I finished my second book of the year.  It's the first book on my new version of The Shelf: FLO-GET.  Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock.  Despite the brutal subject matter (told from the perspective of an abused 8 year old girl) it was a quick read.  The twist at the end was not a big shock as I had been suspicious from very near the start.  It was a very sad book to read, and particularly upsetting when the grandmother came into the picture and the patterns and effects of generational abuse became clearer.

My next book on The Shelf is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.  I have no idea why I avoided it for so long (one of the reasons for doing The Shelf with my own books was to force myself from skipping over the same books time after time).  I think I associated Follett solely with international suspense/intrigue which is not my thing and didn't bother to read the summary for this book.  I'm happy to say that it will fulfill a bingo square - chunky!!!  At almost 1000 pages it certainly qualifies.  I'm just over 100 pages in and I'm really enjoying it.  I like reading about this time period and I feel like I'm learning something while enjoying myself.  I also am intrigued by architecture and building so the conceit of setting the book around the building of a cathedral is quite interesting to me, although we haven't gotten there yet.  And I'm also interested in the role of the church in this period (1100s) so the details about the monasteries and priories and cells and monks and their lives are quite fascinating.

• Like 15

I read it last fall. Tough reading in parts, but important to the ongoing conversation on racism in this country. I also read The Underground Airline. These are two very different books about the same subject and I'm glad I read them both. I'll be eager to hear what you thing about the former.

Welcome Heather! 

I was #40 when I put myself on the list in November but it appears the system purchased some extra copies to help move things along.

Ahem.  As one of the older BaWers, I remember reading Castaneda's books back in the day.  Despite the questions concerning their authenticity, it seemed that people enjoyed reading them for what they were:  a lens outside of the ordinary.

And then there is Stacia...Off to see if my library has The Wandering Falcon.  The book looks interesting--and I do have a bit of a raptor obsession.  ;)

I've had a lot of fun planning my reading for the year and I've already strayed from my plan.

Hello BAWers!!!  I have not been in this forum for over two years.  The last two years have been filled with a divorce, new job, kids going back to public school, oldest child graduating high school and a new very adorable but very unplanned baby boy who is now 8 months old.  I have not read much in those 2 years but miss it tremendously.  Over this christmas break, my 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with a bleeding cavernous angioma in her brain.  Looks like brain surgery is going to happen.  That has been stressful and scary.

I don't really have a goal for this year as far as reading. I know I felt "at home" when I logged in and came to this group for book ideas. Nice to see you all (or most of you) stil here.  I have a few books on hold at the library that should be here soon!!!

Take Care

Chandi

Welcome back. Sorry your 14 year old is going to have to have brain surgery. Sounds like rejoining this thread is just what you need! 

Thanks for the tip! I've got it on my to-read-soon-list.

You all are inspiring! I think it's been at least 23 years since I read a book in either German or Spanish. Maybe, just maybe, I'll tackle one this year.

My next book on The Shelf is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.  I have no idea why I avoided it for so long (one of the reasons for doing The Shelf with my own books was to force myself from skipping over the same books time after time).  I think I associated Follett solely with international suspense/intrigue which is not my thing and didn't bother to read the summary for this book.  I'm happy to say that it will fulfill a bingo square - chunky!!!  At almost 1000 pages it certainly qualifies.  I'm just over 100 pages in and I'm really enjoying it.  I like reading about this time period and I feel like I'm learning something while enjoying myself.  I also am intrigued by architecture and building so the conceit of setting the book around the building of a cathedral is quite interesting to me, although we haven't gotten there yet.  And I'm also interested in the role of the church in this period (1100s) so the details about the monasteries and priories and cells and monks and their lives are quite fascinating.

It sounds fascinating. I just bumped that book up on my list.

Welcome to all the newbies and those returning! 

Chandi, welcome back. I hope all goes well with your dd. 

That's my situation with French.  I did read one French book (which I'd never read before and which was, oddly, a translation from German) a couple of years ago when my kids were taking French classes.  Still aiming for only one book this year.  I was thinking L'Etranger as I last read that some 20+ years ago.  Although the lure of an unread book is strong.

On other fronts, I finished my second book of the year.  It's the first book on my new version of The Shelf: FLO-GET.  Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock.  Despite the brutal subject matter (told from the perspective of an abused 8 year old girl) it was a quick read.  The twist at the end was not a big shock as I had been suspicious from very near the start.  It was a very sad book to read, and particularly upsetting when the grandmother came into the picture and the patterns and effects of generational abuse became clearer.

I have that book on my shelf as well. It's been sitting there for several years. Suppose I should read it. 

• Like 11

welovetoread :grouphug: Sending healing thoughts to your dd and your family. Glad to have you back with us! :)

I read Pillars of the Earth for a BaW challenge a few years ago. I loved it!

I have Hillbilly Elegy on my TBR list, but I've been #5 on the wait list for... ever. Not sure what's happening. Same thing with Joe Buck's autobiography. #5 in perpetuity. I think my holds list just isn't updating correctly. Both of them and Norwegian Wood will probably come in at the same time, given my luck.

You can probably suspend a hold or two when you move into next in line if you know you are going to have too many at once. Others have probably done that which is why you aren't moving on the list. When your suspension comes off you are back to being next in line. It can be a great book management technique as long as you aren't behind people who are doing it! ;) :lol:
  • Like 13