Menu

And now I wish I had said no

DawnM

A friend's son is in college.  He is studying business something or other and part of his major requires him to do a direct sales of some sort for a while just to have the experience.  

I agreed to sit through his presentation and was very direct about the fact that we WILL NOT PURCHASE.  

He has to get X number of people to sit through it and write some paper on it.

Now I wish I had said no.  He is coming at 3pm on a Sunday to present.  I am tired.  I have no desire to purchase the product (some knives of some sort that are like $100 for each steak knife or something.)

I DO want to help him.   He is most likely on the spectrum.  He is quiet and not very social and quite frankly, this is the not the line of work for him.  He is considering accounting.  My husband is an accountant, so I am hoping they can have some time to talk today about accounting.  

But in the meantime, I don't want to listen to his presentation.

Ah, the things we do......

• Like 1

We listened to one of those presentations; it was Cutco knives.  It was presented as "not a sales call" but it clearly was one. It also had nothing to do with his major; it was a way to earn money for college. We were also asked to give some leads for the kid to follow up on.  We didn't know anyone we would subject to the presentation, so we were a big disappointment to the kid, I'm sure.  (It was a Scout friend.)

Just maintain your resolve and let him go away disappointed.  

As for nursery, can't you say no?

Edited by marbel
  • Like 5

I am skeptical that it is actually for his major.  My dh is a business professor and no way would that type of thing be a requirement in any of the colleges he has taught in or adjuncted for.  That makes absolutely no sense to me and I don't feel a college could  or would require that.  I think I'd investigate to discover if he's being honest about that. 

• Like 19

Given that he's on spectrum, I think it's highly likely that he misunderstood a recommendation that he get some experience in sales for a requirement. It's also possible that parents have made it a requirement because of his major if they think that he has chosen a major that he won't do well in.

My 21yo is on-spectrum and has confusions like this all the time. She is the perfect person to read something if you want to see if there is ANY ambiguity because she will NOT read it the way that you intend for her to read it if there is ANY possibility at all to interpret it another way.

Because of this, she asks questions a lot to make sure that she actually understands exactly what she is supposed to do rather than just think she understands what she is supposed to do.

• Like 2

I am skeptical that it is actually for his major.  My dh is a business professor and no way would that type of thing be a requirement in any of the colleges he has taught in or adjuncted for.  That makes absolutely no sense to me and I don't feel a college could  or would require that.  I think I'd investigate to discover if he's being honest about that. 

I am a business profess and I have not heard of this type of requirement at any school before, either.  I have had students who have taken an internship with financial planning firms and as part of the internship they must make a presentation to X number of people about financial planning; at that point, they do not have the various licenses to sell the products; the firm is hoping that it will lead to some business for the firm, however.  

• Like 3

A friend's son is in college.  He is studying business something or other and part of his major requires him to do a direct sales of some sort for a while just to have the experience.  

I agreed to sit through his presentation and was very direct about the fact that we WILL NOT PURCHASE.  

He has to get X number of people to sit through it and write some paper on it.

Now I wish I had said no.  He is coming at 3pm on a Sunday to present.  I am tired.  I have no desire to purchase the product (some knives of some sort that are like $100 for each steak knife or something.)

I DO want to help him.   He is most likely on the spectrum.  He is quiet and not very social and quite frankly, this is the not the line of work for him.  He is considering accounting.  My husband is an accountant, so I am hoping they can have some time to talk today about accounting.  

But in the meantime, I don't want to listen to his presentation.

Ah, the things we do......

But, seriously, how cool is that you said yes?  :D

(((Hugs)))

I get it and am sending sympathy hugs, but am still pretty proud of you for taking one for the team! ;)

• Like 6

Ugh. We sat through a presentation on Cutco knives thinking we were just doing a favor for the son of church friends. And afterward we began to suspect he was on the spectrum. He did not listen to anything we said. We thought we were just giving him practice, but he would not take no for an answer. We told him upfront we have all the knives we need and he could see our whole wedding set on the counter. He still went through "calling my manager" at some point because that's what his script told him to do. And it was ridiculously long--like well over an hour. Yeah, we know zero people who we would betray by giving you their contact information!

• Like 5

Well if it is Cutco, there are many worse things you could sit through. I enjoyed the Cutco demo I watched and actually bought a few knives. They're pretty darn good knives.

This.

The presentation isn't bad, and it's fairly short. 

I happen to love Cutco knives and their lifetime guarantee.  I have a whole set of them and have sat through the demo twice.  The second time was because someone asked if they could do the practice demo with me, and I lit up and got all excited because I did need a new knife.  I don't think they were thrilled in the end because I already had a set and only spent a small amount to get the one knife.

But still.  Cutco is very nice.  I love it when the pull the scissors out and start showing you all the things they can cut.  

• Like 3

honestly - claiming that this  is to help his studying business is a lie.   he's trying to sell you a  product where the "steak knives are $100."  (probably cutco.)

some of these companies will tell their people to USE THAT LINE becasue people are more likely to feel sorry for the poor college student and listen (I've heard that line repeatedly, for multiple product - all the same m.o.)  and more people are likely to feel guilty for taking their time and buying something.  not becasue they like the product.   and even if they tell you "just listen so I can practice" - there. is. an. expectation. you. will. buy!

that he is most likely on the spectrum is irrelevant. (especially if he is in college.)  he can get a part-time job at target or home depot just fine.  they're happy to have college students - and work with their schedule.  he doesn't have to work directly with customers.

if you are determined to listen to his presentation for him to have that practice - tell him he has____ minutes to give it. (and when the time is up - call him on it.) THAT is a real bushiness world requirement.  (in the past, I've had too many of these types who will go on until I throw them out.)

eta; jumping cursor

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

You can also tell him, to be like a real business professional - he can't make any phone calls during the presentation.  if he does, it's over.  business professionals making presentations do not get a lifeline in the real world.

- these marketing programs often tell them to call their manager - who tells them how to change their tactics to get you to buy.  and they keep calling them.

personally - I would wish him luck in his education, and cancel the presentation.  you can tell him he can come by and talk to your dh about accounting - but he cannot talk about his $100 steak knives.

• Like 2

I agree with this. I have never heard of that being in a major and I would think a prof would get in trouble if he tried that. And it would involve partnering with one of these direct sales companies to do it. I really would have a hard time believing it is real. And if it is, the college should know the prof is doing it. Maybe the prof is looking for money.

I would cancel if I were you. Tell them you do not feel well today.

• Like 1

only one of my kids made presentations to the public.  in grad school - and real people came to the school.  the students didn't have to find them.

I did have one who had a project of they had to develop a game - then find people to play the game. . . . the student union building is a great place to find schmucks to test out their game   -  which was all about testing how well they wrote up the instructions.

eta: for the grad program that had actual people - the school also had them fill out review cards.  (they were already at the school to be able to do so.)  if there is no feedback from the person over how the presentation went - how would that be part of an educational program?  it would give no useful information to an instructor.

one more reason - I do not believe this is actually part of their school program - but that the marketing company told him to tell you that.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

If it is Cutco, we listened to the girl next door's pitch just so she could get her specified number of sales presentations in. We told her in advance we wouldn't be buying anything. My snarky self had to work hard not to make comments when she cut the rope with a steak knife. Things like, I don't plan on cutting ropes with my steak knives and I don't plan on serving steak as tough as rope. But I smiled and didn't say anything. In the end I told her if I knew of anyone else interested I'd let give them her number. IF. I don't think she stayed with the company. 

Cutco knives are nothing to write home about. I think I'm linking to a specific post here. If not, scroll down to the third post that says Here's all the information you'll need on Cutco knives.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/11067/cutco-knives#post_98326

• Like 5

personally - I would wish him luck in his education, and cancel the presentation.  you can tell him he can come by and talk to your dh about accounting - but he cannot talk about his $100 steak knives.

I'd do this. Sounds much more productive for both sides - your family wanting to help him out and him wanting to be an accountant. 

• Like 4

Thank you all!

I did the nursery duty and another woman was in there who i ended up having a nice conversation with, so it worked out.

The kid who is selling knives cancelled on us for Friday evening and now has texted saying he will be late.  I am NOT happy.

And you are probably right about the requirement.  He DOES have another job.  I think he didn't quite get why he had to do it, and now that you have mentioned it, I plan to ASK him straight-out what the requirement is exactly.  

If he asks for references to sell to our friends I will not do it.  I just won't.  

I was VERY upfront about the fact that we do not wish to buy knives.  We have knives.  Spending $$ on knives is the last thing on my list of needs or wants.  

He gave his talk.  He had to use his notes and honestly didn't know the product that well.  My husband had looked it up, assuming it was Cutco.  It was.  DH quizzed him several times.  He is new so there were things he didn't know.

He was NOT told to get a job, just to send out resumes, and he got an offer from here and thought he would give it a shot.  

We are not purchasing.  WAY too much and we have 1000 other things to spend $$ on.

• Like 1

He gave his talk.  He had to use his notes and honestly didn't know the product that well.  My husband had looked it up, assuming it was Cutco.  It was.  DH quizzed him several times.  He is new so there were things he didn't know.

He was NOT told to get a job, just to send out resumes, and he got an offer from here and thought he would give it a shot.  

We are not purchasing.  WAY too much and we have 1000 other things to spend $$ on.

cutco will hire almost anyone.   they're not picky.  they pay entirely on commission so they can.   their turnover is extremely high.

their ads are also deceptive.  I was looking for work while dh was unemployed, and I ended up at one.  as soon as I realized what it was - I stood up, said "this isn't what I thought it was", and I walked out.  in front of a *roomful* of 'new recruits'.  they would have "hired" every single person in that room who wanted to work for them.   it feels very much like a MLM scheme.

• Like 3

I agree with this. I have never heard of that being in a major and I would think a prof would get in trouble if he tried that. And it would involve partnering with one of these direct sales companies to do it. I really would have a hard time believing it is real. And if it is, the college should know the prof is doing it. Maybe the prof is looking for money.

I would cancel if I were you. Tell them you do not feel well today.

Seriously?  Because you think he is lying about this being a requirement of his major, you should lie to him that you're not feeling well? OR, set the right example by telling the truth.

• Like 1

cutco will hire almost anyone.   they're not picky.  they pay entirely on commission so they can.   their turnover is extremely high.

their ads are also deceptive.  I was looking for work while dh was unemployed, and I ended up at one.  as soon as I realized what it was - I stood up, said "this isn't what I thought it was", and I walked out.  in front of a *roomful* of 'new recruits'.  they would have "hired" every single person in that room who wanted to work for them.   it feels very much like a MLM scheme.

My husband asked him about 40 questions about the products.  He couldn't really answer them other than to answer directly from the training book, which he had open.

DH asked him at the end of the presentation and questions, "Have you googled any of this company's products?"  

He answered, "no, not really."  

Dh responded, "I strongly suggest you do.  The company's claims are not what the reality of the product really is.  You need to know how to answer everyone's concerns that they have read online.  Cutco does NOT have the highest quality knives, they are a mid-grade, good knife sold at high end prices.  But you are selling the warranty, the guarantee, and customer service, which should be your focus if you really want to sell them."

At the end of his presentation, he said, "So, how did I do?"

DH said, "I think you really need to know more about the company and the products, off script, and be prepared to answer questions that arise."

All the above said, I really don't think this is the right job for this particular young man.  He is most probably on the Autism Spectrum, hates crowds, doesn't enjoy being with people, etc......so the most invaluable thing he gained from us was the 45 min. talk from my DH about him going forward in college to pursue his degree in accounting.  DH is an accountant with one of the big 4 firms and was able to give him some really clear direction and insight into how to become a CPA, what fields he might look into, and what the differences were between large firms, 2nd tier firms, and smaller company accounting jobs.  He also talked about all the varying accounting jobs out there and encouraged him to really research and find which one interested him the most (Corporate, individual, audit, etc....)

We LOVE this young man's family.  They are dear friends, and I feel bad about not buying in some ways, but this is just not the product we will spend money on and we told them that up front.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5

You get huge pats on the back for doing all this for other people today.  

You are sweet.  I am not a little kid person, so I do find the toddlers challenging, but it does stretch me, and I do know that the adults need a place for their children, and I certainly benefited when my kids were toddlers.  I have to look at it that way.

It sounds as if you and your husband did this young man a great favor.  One of the most important things a college person needs to do is determine their strengths and weaknesses and what type of work environment is best for them (if they do not already know this).  Also, they need to learn to accept "no" from a potential customer--that is going to happen in the business world

• Like 1

My husband asked him about 40 questions about the products.  He couldn't really answer them other than to answer directly from the training book, which he had open.

DH asked him at the end of the presentation and questions, "Have you googled any of this company's products?"  

He answered, "no, not really."  

Dh responded, "I strongly suggest you do.  The company's claims are not what the reality of the product really is.  You need to know how to answer everyone's concerns that they have read online.  Cutco does NOT have the highest quality knives, they are a mid-grade, good knife sold at high end prices.  But you are selling the warrantee, the guarantee, and customer service, which should be your focus if you really want to sell them."

At the end of his presentation, he said, "So, how did I do?"

DH said, "I think you really need to know more about the company and the products, off script, and be prepared to answer questions that arise."

All the above said, I really don't think this is the right job for this particular young man.  He is most probably on the Autism Spectrum, hates crowds, doesn't enjoy being with people, etc......so the most invaluable thing he gained from us was the 45 min. talk from my DH about him going forward in college to pursue his degree in accounting.  DH is an accountant with one of the big 4 firms and was able to give him some really clear direction and insight into how to become a CPA, what fields he might look into, and what the differences were between large firms, 2nd tier firms, and smaller company accounting jobs.  He also talked about all the varying accounting jobs out there and encouraged him to really research and find which one interested him the most (Corporate, individual, audit, etc....)

We LOVE this young man's family.  They are dear friends, and I feel bad about not buying in some ways, but this is just not the product we will spend money on and we told them that up front.

Dawn

Do NOT feel bad about not buying.  The way this company, as well as MLM schemes work is to manipulate people through pre-existing interpersonal relationships.  No thought is wasted by the guys pulling in the money on the number of friendships or families that are strained or broken by this manipulation.  

Your DH sounds like a great man and I hope the young man involved gives some serious thought to his future.  

p.s.  My mom has cutco knives and I HATE them.  She has a huge drawer full of them and they are all terrible.  I have two knives- a chef's and a santoku by a German knife company and it's ALL I WILL EVER NEED!  Well, I would like a paring knife, but I've made it 12 years so far without one, so... lol.  If you read up on cutco, they really are bad knives- they are all serrated, no matter what they tell you.  :-D  

• Like 2

I have sat through two cutco presentations. One 15 years ago and one 8 years ago. These were both CC students and it was part of an assignment. I suspect there were alternative ways to completing the assignment. However, what they were doing was legitimately part of an assignment.

I think it's good the OP did this. Some people are good at sales and marketing and some people aren't. OP dh explained to the young man what he needed to do if this was going to be "his job." Sometimes you need that direct experience to learn this kind of job (sales) will never work for me. I have a friend who does an MLM and really earns a good income-that has to do with her personality and not the product. I could never do what she does. In fact I am terrible at simply marketing myself as an independent professional, so just having a solo practice in a field where I have talent would be hard. It's good to know these things about yourself early so you can work on them or point your career search in a different direction.

The OP took her time and provided direction to this young man. I hope my DC encounter people along the way who will take time to provide guidance. (I hope it won't be because my DC got involved in an MLM though).

• Like 1

Dawn

Don't feel bad. You and your dh gave this young man really worth-while information and your valuable time. That is worth a lot! It's just too bad you all had to waste so much time on those knives.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I just graduated with a degree in Elementary Education, and I can believe this was a legitimate assignment. Some of the assignments we were given were out there as well. Testing and tutoring our friends' children was a common thing. I did not enjoy this aspect at all. Many times at church I had to complete a field assignment with a friend's child.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I got a set of Cutco knives as a wedding gift. People drooool over them when they come to my house. I am a serious cook, and I love them. They're great. I'm sure that by now there's better stuff.technologically out there, but they were free to me, I've had them refurbed at the company for free and used them hard for 20 years. I also have nothing to do with the company. Lol. I'm just attached to my knives.

• Like 1