Menu

"Bird of the Year," a New Year's Day game

-M-

Jays are beautiful but a bit bullish too. They kind of take over everything and aren't too keen on sharing.

True, although I've seen some other birds at my feeders with Blue Jays.  They're also good about warning everyone of danger. I've heard the Blue Jays start squawking and making quite a fuss whenever the hawk is nearby, which helps all the birds and squirrels not just the other Blue Jays.

True, although I've seen some other birds at my feeders with Blue Jays. They're also good about warning everyone of danger. I've heard the Blue Jays start squawking and making quite a fuss whenever the hawk is nearby, which helps all the birds and squirrels not just the other Blue Jays.

Yep, I got Blue Jay. Such bird jerks you gorge that they're actually pretty birds...

• Like 1

I've never heard of this but it sounds like fun. We usually have a ton of songbirds at our feeder and it's even topped up but I haven't seen a single bird all day. The weather's been cold and damp and not even the birds want to be outside. :tongue_smilie:

This is such a fun thread! We are getting a lot of snow here today, so I went outside to check on my husband and son while they were shoveling snow and we saw some turkeys sitting in the neighbor's tree across the street, so it is the year of the turkey for us!

The turkeys look so funny sitting in the trees! My husband keeps reminding me that they were recommended by Benjamin Franklin to be the national bird. My goal this year is to see my first snowy owl.

I had a nice hike, two different trails, the second along a streamway game trail. I was looking for a kingfisher, and while I heard him, I couldn't sight him. I added mallards, wood ducks, geese, gulls, and another duck-like water fowl species that I'm going to have to pull out my field guide to identify to today's "first day" list. The biggest surprise for me today - and thus will be my bird of the year - was eastern bluebird. They turned up in both locations and could be heard in larger numbers than could be seen.

So to further this game, I challenge each of us to become really knowledgable about the bird that is "ours" this year. Let's learn to...

-identify male, female and juveniles by sight (in both breeding and nonbreeding plumage, if it varies)

- identify by call/song

- what it eats

- where it lives (winter, summer, year round)

- how to draw it

- why it's important - what are the benefits to man/local ecology

- several fun facts about it to share with others

- pay attention to where it turns up it in art, literature & song

• Like 4

mine was a Crimson Rosella 

We have a huge amount of different species of birds living in and around our property. that is what comes from having a wetland through the middle of the property and native bush abutting national part surrounding us.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 4

Okay, one more thing because I am a bit bird-obsessed.

I love that we occasionally spot a tawny frogmouth. They are so cool. They look a bit owl-like, but they aren't owls.

One night recently I was picking my husband up from the bus stop and there was a tawny frogmouth in the middle of the road. It looked like a juvenile and it didn't move as I was driving closer. I stopped in the middle of the road while my husband jumped out and shoo-ed it to safety. 

We are very, very spoilt for wildlife here, but we appreciate it all. So, so lucky to live here.

I'll try not to hog this thread any longer ....

I remember the tawny frogmouth from my year abroad in Victoria. They look like muppets invented by Jim Henson. I could not believe how cute! They are cuter in real life than in photographs. Still my favorite Australian bird even though I also saw a lyrebird and emu and rainbow lorikeets in the Whitsunday Islands and heard bell birds on that trip. I must get back to Australia one day...

As for Maine, I still haven't seen my New Year's Bird (unless you count my hens, which I don't). I suspect it will be a raven as a group lives near my house, and they are often raucous and attract attention to themselves.

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 2

My computer seizes up when I try to like more than two or three posts. Consider everyone's post liked. *smile* The mention of tawny frogmouths delighted me as I adore finding them at the zoos we visit. To the poster whose daughter found the crow on New Year's Day: Those are my favorite birds of all. They amaze me. Other birds that make us particularly happy were also mentioned: juncos, blue jays, goldfinches, etc. I am always excited when something "exotic" visits: rose-breasted grosbeak, Baltimore oriole, hummingbird, indigo bunting, eastern bluebird, but they are unlikely to be what I see on New Year's Day -- and that's all right. I came to backyard birding as an adult and thanks to home education. It really is a lovely pursuit, isn't it?

Here's a image of my bird of the year. It was taken this fall.

img_8266.jpg?w=640

Edited by M--
  • Like 3

As for Maine, I still haven't seen my New Year's Bird (unless you count my hens, which I don't). I suspect it will be a raven as a group lives near my house, and they are often raucous and attract attention to themselves.

Right?!? Seriously, where are they? I haven't had a bird at our feeders in days, and it's been mild! :(

Usually this time of year we have downy and hairy woodpeckers, chickadees, dark eyed juncos, blue jays, cardinals, nuthatches, sometimes goldfinches...all the usuals...but lately it's been nothing. No birds at all. I miss them. :(.

We need a good storm. They always come in droves before a big snow. :)

Edited by MEmama

Finally! My first feeder bird of the year was a red bellied woodpecker. I'm taking that over the flock of ducks.

My feeders are usually a very busy place. I have no idea why it's been so quiet.

When my feeders go quiet, it's usually because there's a hawk around (sometimes on the roof where I can't see it).

• Like 1

I decided to change my computer background to a lovely photo of a Nuthatch, just to remind myself of my bird this year.

I had a red-bellied woodpecker as my background. It was a photo I took several years ago in my backyard. When the goldfinches first showed up I took a photo and posted on facebook to ask my bird nerd friends if I identified it correctly. I think I'll use that as my background now.

This morning we had a bunch of brown-headed cowbirds. Ugh. My least favorite bird. We also had a bunch of robins on the lawn. They never come to the feeder because I only put out seed - no suet or worms. Those get nasty really fast in our humid climate. I love seeing robins. They'll only be here another few weeks before they head north again. We see them in large numbers every year in Sept.-Oct. and Jan.-Feb.

Edited by Lady Florida.

When my feeders go quiet, it's usually because there's a hawk around (sometimes on the roof where I can't see it).

It's been quiet for awhile. Usually it gets really busy before a big snow, but the weather has been lame and mild. I guess they don't need to stock up on the extra calories just yet.

• Like 1

So pretty, in fact, that I bought a copy. There was a like-new edition available for a reasonable price. Thank you for the link!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

European robin. I'm actually going to think hard about robins. I'm sure they have unattractive characteristics too, but I'm drawn to their style as a theme for this year - hopeful, cooperative, persistent, unfazeable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_robin

ETA, I often have a robin follow and observe me when I garden, waiting for me to throw it a worm.

Edited by Laura Corin

I can't do this unless I refuse to look about me while outside, rush to our national park with a pair of binoculars and hope for something less mundane than an American Robin.  LOL  

From the title of this post I was hoping that this had something to do with the most interesting bird you've seen all year. I saw a Green Heron for the first time last year and was enthralled!