Menu

Sprite is Lemonade?

KungFuPanda

For those who say that Sprite does not taste like lemon.... For me it does not have a true lemon or lime flavor. Just a sweet, sparkly taste. But it's called a lemon lime soda by the manufacturers.

I wonder if there are different formulas in different areas of the world. Or if it is just not referred to as a lemon-lime drink everywhere, though it has the same taste everywhere.

It definitely tastes nothing like a drink made with actual lemons or limes (American style lemonade or limeade).

Okay now you made me go look it up. The Sprite Wikipedia page is very informative.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(soft_drink)

Among other things it says that it originated in Germany of all places as 'Fanta klare Zitrone' (which only references lemon). I agree it doesn't really taste lemony or limey, but the logo does have a half lemon half lime on it, and it is definitely marketed as lemon/ lime wherever I've seen it... do you have a different logo in your part of the world?

• Like 1

Aren't ginger beer and ginger ale the same thing?

Not in the US. Ginger ale carbonated water, sugar, and a mild ginger flavor. So a ginger flavored soda. Whereas ginger beer is actually fermented, but still most are non-alcoholic according to the FDA because of the low alcohol content. It packs more of a ginger flavor, is less sweet, and less carbonated.

• Like 1

Then he should make friends with Bruce Pascoe!

What kind of experiments?

(I'm a foodie who doesn't really like cooking, lol.)

Lol! Well we have quite a few alternative type friends so he did a lot of sourdough, spelt, organic fruit loaves which were popular. But he particularly liked khorasan/kamut flour. He does a really yummy sourdough brioche.

He is also very into horticulture and when our business is up and running we hope to develop our own specialty loaves.

Unfortunately he's an extreme introvert and hates to meet anyone! ðŸ˜

• Like 1

We are not calling it the same. I don't use the word 'lemonade' for pressed lemons and sugar. I call it 'fresh lemonade'.

I just realised we have only called it homemade lemonade since we all had exposure to US TV etc. When I was a child you had 'hot lemon drink' or 'cold lemon drink'.

• Like 1

Could someone link me to a recipe that will produce some of these soft scones we're talking about? I like the flavor of scones but often find them so dry that I can barely eat them. I'd love to make something more tender!

Make it very short by having 33% butter to 100% flour and you will have a good scone that isn't dry or chewy. Should work with any standard recipe but if you're having trouble PM me and I will get you a recipe.

• Like 1

Haha I just realised we make 'lemonade scones' here - (a cup of self-raising flour, a cup of cream, a cup of 'lemonade' (Sprite!), mix quickly, pop into a hot oven ) - doubly confusing to you guys!

eta - it is probably 3 cups of flour. 

Edited by bookbard
  • Like 7

Haha I just realised we make 'lemonade scones' here - (a cup of self-raising flour, a cup of cream, a cup of 'lemonade' (Sprite!), mix quickly, pop into a hot oven ) - doubly confusing to you guys!

Wooo! Back up there. We I need more precise recipes, no drive-by recipe teasing here......

Is it like this: http://www.foodtolove.com.au/recipes/lemonade-scones-10873 ??

So cream, you mean heavy whipping cream?? Or something else?? <<A chart of what creams are in different countries! Who knew!

Native American fry bread is evidence of God's common grace to all of humanity. http://www.thepeoplespaths.net/NAIFood/NAIrecipes.htm

For the record, the best Native American fry bread can be had in the town of Supai in the Grand Canyon. (Not the touristy main entrance part.)  It's about an hour and a half drive from the nearest town (Williams) followed by either a helicopter ride (10 min., $90 one way) into town followed by a 2.5 mile hike to the campground or a 12.5 mile, 5 hour slow hike down to the campground. (Hire the mule train to carry your gear unless you're an experienced backpacker.) The ingredients are choppered in or brought down on the mule train and cooked up in front of you at the end of the trail.  Don't let the $10 cost discourage you-they're totally worth it.  You'll need the calories by then anyway. As a bonus you get to eat them looking at one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world. When you hike out there's a woman in the parking lot selling every brand of ice cold soda in cans from her ice chest for $4 each.  Again, totally worth it. It's the best soda you'll every taste because your body worked so hard for it.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 3

Now I'm wondering if Sprite is flavored the same in every country because I can definitely taste the lemon-lime flavor here in the US. Maybe Sprite uses a more lemony recipe for other countries.

Every soda in other countries is different. Gosh they can differ town to town if they are fountain drinks as the water source is different. But it is pretty close to the same. Australian soda is made of cane sugar. American soda is made of high fructose corn syrup.

For me (Australian), lemonade is the generic term for a fizzy, clear, sweet drink. You can buy homebrand or name brands eg 7-Up or Sprite. But here, it isn't lemony or limey. It's just clear and sweet.

It's like cola is a generic name and Pepsi and Coke are two brands of it.

But if someone said they were going to make homemade lemonade, I'd think of something altogether different - actual lemon juice, mixed with water and sugar. And not fizzy.

And from memory, I believe that our Mars Bars are maybe your Snickers bars? Or something like that? Milky Way bars maybe?

Australian milky ways are American 3 Musketeers.

And an American Milky Way is an Australians Mars

Edited by Korrale
  • Like 2

Also from a culinary history point of view, American biscuits do not have egg. Scones do. The southern tradition of Biscuits at most meals comes from the regionally produced soft wheat, which doesn't work well for yeast breads. The northern states produced hard wheat, better for yeast breads.

Regarding root beer, it tastes like wintergreen mint to me, which is why many from Asian countries say it tastes like medicine.

I have never put eggs in a scone. The recipe that my mum uses to make scones is the exact same recipe that I use to make biscuits for biscuits, sausage and gravy for my husband.

Oh and I have absolutely no idea what on earth root beer is. I always assumed it was like ginger beer but this thread has told me otherwise. If it is indeed "cherry" flavour as some seem to indicate then that would taste like medicine and it not something I would enjoy at all, yuck!

Rootbeer is like sars.

• Like 1

Let me see how many i can confuse people with.

Australian cot is where a baby sleeps. American cot is a low portable bed used for camping.

Australian swag is what one takes camping. American swag is a goodie bag.

Australian nappy is a diaper.

American French Fries are Australian chips.

Australian scone is an American biscuit. My mum and American husband can't tell them apart. I use the same recipe for both. I have never put an egg in a scone.

Australian biscuit is an American cookie.

Australian jumper is an American sweater.

And there are tons more!

It is quite amusing watching my Australian parents have conversations with my American husband. It is shocking how often my son and I have to translate. My folks are rural QLDers. So their speech is chockers with words that are losing flavor among the younger urban Aussies.

Oh and what we call a fish burger or a chicken burger in Australia is a fish or chicken sandwich in the US.

In some parts of Australia pupils take ports to school. 😉

Edited by Korrale
  • Like 2

Oh! And porridge!

I had a conversation with a friend who insisted the porridge was made from rice. As it is in Asia. But porridge is also made from oats. Known in the US as oatmeal. Goldilocks most likely ate oatmeal. Not rice porridge.

Although my mum and dad did say that they are porridge from barley and other grains when they were kids.

Edited by Korrale

Wooo! Back up there. We I need more precise recipes, no drive-by recipe teasing here......

Is it like this: http://www.foodtolov...de-scones-10873 ??

So cream, you mean heavy whipping cream?? Or something else?? <<A chart of what creams are in different countries! Who knew!

Yes to the recipe, and yes I got it wrong, it probably is 3 cups flour not 1 like I said. Yes I think the cream you said is right. I get confused too now when I go to the shops because there are lots of different creams. 

Oh and I think one American cup is slightly different to an Australian cup, but it wouldn't matter in a recipe like that, I don't think.

Americanization of the Australian lemonade scone recipe is...

1 cup (8oz) of lemon lime soda like Sprite, Sierra Mist or 7-Up.

1 cup (8oz) of heavy whipping cream.

3 cups of self raising flour.

Mix and flatten and use circular shapes like cups or cookie cutters to cut into shapes. If flaky is desired roll and layer befor cutting into circular shapes.

Brush with milk or egg yolk to make golden.

• Like 2

Every soda in other countries is different. Gosh they can differ town to town if they are fountain drinks as the water source is different. But it is pretty close to the same. Australian soda is made of cane sugar. American soda is made of high fructose corn syrup.

Well, I'd say the *majority of American sodas are made with HFCS, but definitely not all.  I don't buy soda often enough to stay up to date, but some of the major brands were moving back toward cane sugar, with all the HFCS backlash.  A huge chunk of smaller companies were built on a non-HFCS principle.

I didn't realize until I worked in a bar that fountain sodas were delivered concentrated.  Which is especially funny to me, because I GREW UP in a bar, where I got to shoot the soda gun all the time, but never saw where it was coming from!

Oh! And porridge!

I had a conversation with a friend who insisted the porridge was made from rice. As it is in Asia. But porridge is also made from oats. Known in the US as oatmeal. Goldilocks most likely ate oatmeal. Not rice porridge.

Although my mum and dad did say that they are porridge from barley and other grains when they were kids.

And then there's pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot nine days old ... which I have always assumed was some form of split pea soup?

If you like Coke with real sugar in it you can buy it in bottles year round at Target and Costco.  They're shipped in from Mexico, so people around here call them Mexican Cokes.  If you have a New Mexican restaurant near you like we do, you can have them with your NA fry bread tacos which is one of the best meals you'll ever eat.

In what part of America is this true?  I've never heard swag used this way.

I'm familiar with it---usually referring to the give-away stuff you get at conventions rather than a goodie-bag at a kid's birthday party. It's not something that was common in this area when I was growing up, though.

I almost took a pic of a soda fountain at a restaurant today.... sprite and lemonade side by side

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ah, but the lemonade even from the soda fountain isn't carbonated, which is why it's also usually the spout with the extra tab one gets water from. Sometimes one of the other spouts will offer a plain soda (seltzer) tab as well, which makes my husband happy. :)

• Like 1

Americanization of the Australian lemonade scone recipe is...

1 cup (8oz) of lemon lime soda like Sprite, Sierra Mist or 7-Up.

1 cup (8oz) of heavy whipping cream.

3 cups of self raising flour.

Mix and flatten and use circular shapes like cups or cookie cutters to cut into shapes. If flaky is desired roll and layer befor cutting into circular shapes.

Brush with milk or egg yolk to make golden.

Served as a dessert, I take it? Do you put a lemon glaze on it? There are places that do sweet biscuits with a powdered sugar glaze here. Bojangles (fried chicken fast food joint) has a cinnamon biscuit and a "bo-berry" biscuit https://www.bojangles.com/menu/m/sweets/cinnamon-biscuit/ (next image is the bo-berry one)

I've used Sundrop in a pound cake before

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231990/sun-drop-pound-cake/

or in a lemon cake

http://www.food.com/recipe/sundrop-cake-28076#activity-feed

So would you serve a plain Australian scone for breakfast with eggs, or make a breakfast sandwich with it with eggs or a breakfast meat (sausage, ham, etc) like we do with biscuits, or serve it with gravy over it? Biscuits with sausage gravy http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216391/easy-sausage-gravy-and-biscuits/

I also use plain biscuits as a topping for a chicken pot pie or similar dish.

So would you serve a plain Australian scone for breakfast with eggs, or make a breakfast sandwich with it with eggs or a breakfast meat (sausage, ham, etc) like we do with biscuits, or serve it with gravy over it? Biscuits with sausage gravy http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216391/easy-sausage-gravy-and-biscuits/

No. One might use an English muffin for that, (except for the gravy, no one eats scones and gravy.) Scones are for jam and cream. 

For me (Australian), lemonade is the generic term for a fizzy, clear, sweet drink. You can buy homebrand or name brands eg 7-Up or Sprite. But here, it isn't lemony or limey. It's just clear and sweet.

It's like cola is a generic name and Pepsi and Coke are two brands of it.

But if someone said they were going to make homemade lemonade, I'd think of something altogether different - actual lemon juice, mixed with water and sugar. And not fizzy.

And from memory, I believe that our Mars Bars are maybe your Snickers bars? Or something like that? Milky Way bars maybe?

We also have Milky Way bars and I have seen Mars Bars too (though more rarely)

Looking at the picture on Wikipedia, they look closer to Milky Way. They have marshmallows in them, right? Snickers is more like real nuts. Makes a good substitute breakfast when travelling.

Oh and evidently it was put together by the son of the person who did the Milky Way -- so they are related candy bars.

Oh and Wikipedia says something similar was created as "Snickers Almond" for a time. So yeah, there are reasons it is confusing.

Edited by vonfirmath

Also from a culinary history point of view, American biscuits do not have egg. Scones do. The southern tradition of Biscuits at most meals comes from the regionally produced soft wheat, which doesn't work well for yeast breads. The northern states produced hard wheat, better for yeast breads.

Regarding root beer, it tastes like wintergreen mint to me, which is why many from Asian countries say it tastes like medicine.

I had no idea there was a difference between soft wheat and hard wheat!

Don't you distinguish between knitted and not knitted articles of clothing that you wear over your shirt when it is not cold enough for a coat?

Here in Oz, and I guess NZ too, a jumper can be either a knitted or not knitted one of them. 

Sweatshirt for the non-knitted version. Sweater for the knitted

No. One might use an English muffin for that, (except for the gravy, no one eats scones and gravy.) Scones are for jam and cream. 

Which brings up something I have wondered about: Are English muffins really English?

I wonder if English muffins are the same in Australia as in the US.

• Like 1

Hey, guess what just happened to me!

I'm reading a book by Liane Moriarty, she's Australian, and not two seconds ago I read this line:

"As Cecilia watched, Polly leaned forward to take a sip of lemon cordial...."

And until this afternoon, I'd have had no idea what the heck Polly was sipping. Since Polly is a 6 year old, I guess I'd have thought they have a starlingly young drinking age in Australia. :).

Are there not cordials in Lion Witch and Wardrobe too?

I'm familiar with it---usually referring to the give-away stuff you get at conventions rather than a goodie-bag at a kid's birthday party. It's not something that was common in this area when I was growing up, though.

Ah...yeah, I don't think she meant a kids' party give away bag, but could be wrong. 

• Like 1