Menu

Dates?

Amy in NH

I third homemade Lara bars/energy bites.

I throw them in the food processor with cashews, dried cranberries or cherries, a splash of vanilla and a touch of unsweetened cocoa. I find rolling them into balls makes them easier to deal with than cutting them into bars.

• Like 2

Of all dates Medjools dates are the best to eat on their own. You can stuff them with an almond or with a dab of marzipan if you really don't want to eat them solo. They are also delicious eaten with clementines, which are in season right now. The tartness of the orange complements the rich sweetness of the date beautifully. This is often dessert in our home.

Edited by shukriyya
  • Like 3

Of all dates Medjools dates are the best to eat on their own. You can stuff them with an almond or with a dab of marzipan if you really don't want to eat them solo. They are also delicious eaten with clementines, which are in season right now. The tartness of the orange complements the rich sweetness of the date beautifully. This is often dessert in our home.

I agree. Medjool dates are so special that they should be savored on their own.

Bill

• Like 5

I make energy balls out of them....kind of like Lara bars, but rolled into a ball.

Report this ad
small-dd798fdf2451742a7f2a814cbed52a99fe

Enjoy!

Healthy Energy Balls with Medjool Dates

Healthy Energy Balls sweetened with Medjool Dates. These no-bake, raw bites are filled with wholesome ingredients like oatmeal and sunflower seed butter.
Author: Marjory Pilley
Ingredients
  • 6-8 pitted medjool dates, pits removed
  • 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
  • ½ cup ground flax seed
  • â…“ cup coconut flakes (preferably unsweetened)
  • â…“ cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup sunflower seed butter (or peanut butter)

Instructions

Report this ad
small-dd798fdf2451742a7f2a814cbed52a99fe
  1. Fill a glass container with very hot water. (I heat about 2 cups in the microwave for about 1½ minutes.)
  2. Add dates to water, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 5-10 minutes. This softens the dates and makes them easier to puree, but may not be necessary if dates are very soft.
  3. Remove dates from water and place in a small food processor.
  4. Add to the food processor about 1 Tablespoon of the water the dates soaked in.
  5. Pulse until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Add additional water to thin the consistency of the paste, if desired.
  6. Set date "paste" aside.
  7. Combine oatmeal, flax seed, coconut flakes and chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl.
  8. Add date paste, vanilla extract and sunflower seed butter to the dry mixture.
  9. Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
  10. Refrigerate dough for about 15 minutes if possible. (It's not required, but does make it easier to work with.)
  11. Form dough into Tablespoon-size balls.
  12. Refrigerate balls in an air tight container.

• Like 1

Eat plain

Or get fancy and stuff with a whole almond and roll in powdered coconut (check international markets for the powdered unsweetened type)

Or process in a food processor (after removing pits obviously) and warm a skillet over low and add unsalted butter (2-3 T) and add the date puree. Sprinkle with ground cardamon and then once the dates are soft and dough like, break up plain biscuits like Marie brand into bite size pieces all over the dough, turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a log about 2 inches in diameter, roll in powdered coconut, wrap and put into fridge to cool. Once cool slice into "cookies". VERY good with tea.

• Like 3

Does anyone know long they will last?

If you want to keep them more than a week, put them in the fridge. For longer storage, you can freeze them. Which reminds me I have some fresh dates in the freezer...

I love eating dates as they are, but a favorite recipe in my family is Lebanese date cakes (I bet googling will yield a recipe). You can probably find mahleb at a middle eastern market.

• Like 2

We eat them (take out the seed first...it's rather long... you can also replace it with an almond) with milk...or even make a milk shake with vanilla ice cream and dates.

You can make a date paste and really yummy date cookies with them.  We usually mix dates, walnuts, and a little orange juice in a food processor for the date/walnut paste.  Then you put this mixture in between shortbread like dough.

You can make date truffles...basically you make a similar paste to the one above, and then form balls and roll in coconut.

Can snip them into pieces and add them to oatmeal cookies.

• Like 1