Menu

What does a 17 yo girl want for Christmas?

PeterPan

Technical or clever stuff having to do with her interests.

If she is outdoorsy, top of the line stuff for the activity of her choice from REI.

If she has a musical bent, supplies for her instrument, an excellent metronome, or music themed other things (bedside table lamp, scarf, etc.) that are unusual.

If she loves Harry Potter, you might get her a petronus lamp from Think Geek.

If she like to cook, some really good All Clad pots might be nice, or excellent kitchen stuff for when she gets her own place--microplane graters are great, or a set of good knives.

A fitbit or garmin watch with step counter/GPS/tracking.

These are all grown up gifts, and convey 'You are an adult.'

• Like 1

DD18 is getting:

Navy blue Hunter boots and red socks

Free People Jacket 

Free People Shirt

Naked pallet (eye shadow)

Nike Sweatshirt

North Face wind breaker for spring (light blue)

An full spectrum LED light for her aquarium which she uses as a terrarium

Miscellaneous Terrarium supplies

Small 14k gold earrings  (either super tiny diamonds or little gold balls)--she is just starting to wear gold instead of silver colors, so she needs a few basics in that color.

Odd gift but it makes sense here....soap stone coasters for her room with her initial on them.

TJ chocolates from around the world.

Stocking:

Dry shampoo

Hempz lotion

Music service for a year (most likely Amazon Unlimited)

Gift card for makeup

Gift card for Buffalo Wild Wings

Gift card for coffee

A few other girly things that I haven't picked up yet.-Lush bombs etc

It may seem like a lot but part of it is coming from her winter clothes budget. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

Birchbox subscription 

Lululemon leggings 

Real leather boots

Ski gear (mine skis)

Excellent list! 

I'll add:

MAC make-up

Nice socks to wear with the boots (especially if ankle boots)

Blanket scarf

Gift card for the movie theatre

Starbucks travel cup w/Starbucks card

My dd is 20 and is getting:

Kate Spade purse (I bought it at their 75% off sale)

Lululemon capris for the gym

Black Merino wool sweater

Crockpot cookbook (she lives on her own)

David's tea cup with infuser

Elizabeth Arden Holiday make-up set

3 month subscription to TOPBOX

warm pj's

Plus a pretty good stocking. 

I'm pretty excited about the "Emergency Kit" I'm putting together for her. I purchased a small, cute pouch and will fill it with: 

stain remover wipe, chap stick, mints, tiny sewing kit, bobby pins, elastic, safety pin, Advil, band aid, deodorant wipe, hand cream and I'm not sure what else...

Edited by Sarah CB
  • Like 1

Well, my 17 year old niece wants:

A lifetime supply of Terry's chocolate oranges, dark

And...

That's it! That's her Christmas wish list for all of us. Parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles.

She's really easy to buy for.

(Can you hear the sarcasm dripping from that sentence? :D Lol She's lucky she's so sweet and lovable!)

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 3

And...

That's it! That's her Christmas wish list for all of us. Parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles.

(Can you hear the sarcasm dripping from that sentence? :D Lol She's lucky she's so sweet and lovable!)

I don't know what Terry's chocolate oranges are, but that's hilarious!  

Now I'm looking it up, those would be cute in a stocking!!  

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Amazon.com : Cadbury Roses Tub 748g : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Amazon.com : Cadbury Selection Box of 10 Full Size British Chocolate Bars From Great British Treats : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Well that's a good start!  Dd has been on this thing about Cadbury chocolates, ever since her gparents went to the UK, and while clicking the Terri's oranges I found boxes of UK Cadbury stuff!  Fun!  I'll try to find one of the oragnes for the stocking.  

One thing down, two to go!  I like the make-up subscription idea.  There are just so many, I got lost in looking at all of them!

My 17 yo has tastes that might differ a little from the mainstream ;)  She wants:

Mega Man e-tank mug

Pokemon plushies (for nostalgia)

Vintage vinyl records (she loves 70's rock)

Video games:  Dark Souls III, Pokemon Sun, Silent Hill 2 (an older game, now a collector's item)

High quality Japanese figurines like Figma and Revoltech, or Sideshow Collectibles (this last one is not Japanese)

Kylo Ren Black Series collector's helmet 

• Like 1

Amazon.com : Cadbury Selection Box of 10 Full Size British Chocolate Bars From Great British Treats : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Well that's a good start!  Dd has been on this thing about Cadbury chocolates, ever since her gparents went to the UK, and while clicking the Terri's oranges I found boxes of UK Cadbury stuff!  Fun!  I'll try to find one of the oragnes for the stocking.  

One thing down, two to go!  I like the make-up subscription idea.  There are just so many, I got lost in looking at all of them!

Thanks for mentioning this - love this idea!  My dd fell in love with UK chocolate when we visited London.  I don't know what the difference is, but it does seem creamier than US chocolate.  

• Like 1

Does topbox work in the US too or only canada? I had never thought of make-up or beauty product subscriptions, interesting! Do people actually USE the stuff? Or does it sit around unused? She's pretty adventurous.

I'm getting a young relative the Fortune Cookie Soap box subscription. It's quarterly. They do handmade bath and body products, with a different pop culture or seasonal theme each box. New scents each time, and you get a $10 off coupon with each box. Super cute stuff and smells great. http://i.refs.cc/ZWPRQV4D

That's my referral link, you get 10% off when you use it.

• Like 1

From my 16 yo's list:

Amazon gift card

Michael's gift card

watercolor pencils (and other unspecified art supplies)

cute clothing

fun cute leotard (ballet dancer)

Miss Peregrin series

face powder

foundation

bath bomb

ear buds

mascara

Based on this list and her almost 14 yo sister's far more extensive list, they're getting a lot of make up/beauty/bath stuff packaged as some kind of "beauty box" or "beauty basket" (depending on what I can find this weekend). Plus books, art supplies, and clothes. They already know they're getting foundation/concealer because I made them stop at a Clinique counter to get color matched on Black Friday, but I think they'll be surprised by other stuff going with that.

• Like 1

I don't know what Terry's chocolate oranges are, but that's hilarious!

Now I'm looking it up, those would be cute in a stocking!!

She is funny. Except she just had a birthday in November - and she got chocolate oranges for that! (I gave her cash, which will just sit in her bank account and grow - she just doesn't want for much!)

And, she's tiny, has a small appetite, and only a moderate sweet tooth. It doesn't take much to supply her with chocolate for a long enough time to last until the chocolate will go bad and separate. Even when she shares with her brother and my kids.

Man, I love this kid, she's so mellow and easy - until gift giving occasions. :D

• Like 1

Does topbox work in the US too or only canada? I had never thought of make-up or beauty product subscriptions, interesting! Do people actually USE the stuff? Or does it sit around unused? She's pretty adventurous.

I had Birchbox and Beauty Army subscriptions. I did use the products, I specifically subscribed because I needed to discover some new beauty products. After 6 months or so I had plenty and cancelled the subscriptions.
  • Like 1

I'll just leave it kind of open-ended like that.  It's not really, but let's just say it can be $20-500.  Ipad, computer, etc. are not needed. Go!

Would have to know what she's into...

Pop culture would be videos, funny tees, concert tickets

Readers - more shelves, more books, subscriptions

Music junkies - ipod, updated or larger ipod, itunes

Crafty kids - more of their craft or just a new venue - if they sew, maybe knitting lessons, if an artist, then a new medium, etc.

Things for their bedrooms and/or for their dorm room up and coming.  DS 17 is getting a dorm fridge.  Is he moving out for college?  No, but past experience has taught me young adult children buy particular things for themselves and they don't love family members gobbling them up. ;)

I'd look heavily at experiences - tickets to a museum, concert, place to go/visit

• Like 3

And...

LOL!  We put these in our kids' stockings andd they are all on the list except for the orange haters.  Thank goodness they ended up coming out in alternative flavors.  (The strawberry is disgusting - an FYI.)  ;)

• Like 2

I had Birchbox and Beauty Army subscriptions. I did use the products, I specifically subscribed because I needed to discover some new beauty products. After 6 months or so I had plenty and cancelled the subscriptions.

That's a good point!  Maybe I'll just pick one for a few months, just to be fun.  I'm not very adventurous like that, but she is.  I think she'd like it.  :)

Would have to know what she's into...

Pop culture would be videos, funny tees, concert tickets

Readers - more shelves, more books, subscriptions

Music junkies - ipod, updated or larger ipod, itunes

Crafty kids - more of their craft or just a new venue - if they sew, maybe knitting lessons, if an artist, then a new medium, etc.

Things for their bedrooms and/or for their dorm room up and coming.  DS 17 is getting a dorm fridge.  Is he moving out for college?  No, but past experience has taught me young adult children buy particular things for themselves and they don't love family members gobbling them up. ;)

I'd look heavily at experiences - tickets to a museum, concert, place to go/visit

The dorm fridge idea is brilliant!!!  I need to figure out if they're allowed to take them.  I sorta assume, but you never know.  She's really only looking at a couple schools.

Hmm, tickets would be nice.  She went to Wicked when I got tickets and took her bff instead of me.   :glare:

That's a good point!  Maybe I'll just pick one for a few months, just to be fun.  I'm not very adventurous like that, but she is.  I think she'd like it.   :)

The dorm fridge idea is brilliant!!!  I need to figure out if they're allowed to take them.  I sorta assume, but you never know.  She's really only looking at a couple schools.

Hmm, tickets would be nice.  She went to Wicked when I got tickets and took her bff instead of me.   :glare:

Be sure and check the fine print on the housing contracts/housing websites.  Universities will have specifications that you can't exceed with appliances. I have a fridge sitting out in the garage for that reasons--had to buy a smaller one that met the guidelines.

Does topbox work in the US too or only canada?  I had never thought of make-up or beauty product subscriptions, interesting!  Do people actually USE the stuff?  Or does it sit around unused?  She's pretty adventurous.

I think it's only Canada, but you probably have a way better variety of subscription boxes to choose from in the US. I think it would be fun to get - maybe not long-term, but for 3 - 6 months anyway. Getting stuff in the mail is always fun. I would have loved something like that as a teen. It's a neat novelty and a chance to try out some new products. 

My 18yo's list includes:

Books, lots of books (+ gift cards to B&N & our local indie bookstore)

Wizard 101 & Steam gift cards

Gift certificates to some local restaurants & cafes where she likes to meet friends

Movie (Fandango) tickets

Show tickets

Boots

Etsy gift card

Dvds of tv series & movies she likes

Adult coloring books

T-shirts from the World Wildlife Fund website

Cash

She's driving but doesn't have her own car yet. If she did, I might consider things like:

AAA membership

Fun bumper stickers

"Eyelashes" for the headlights (I don't know why she likes those, but she does, lol)

Gas station gift card

We don't necessarily save all big purchases for birthday/holiday, so my 16 yo's list may seem a bit shorter than is typical. She is getting for

Solstice:

an oversized cardigan (current favored clothing item for her)

tights to match the cardigan

graphic novels from her Amazon wishlist (one volume of LumberJanes and two of Princeless)

nice leather tech-friendly gloves to match her new "dressy" jacket

a box of Larabars (current favored "slurge" snack food)

Stocking (on Christmas Day):

an orange (traditional in our family to put an orange in the toe)

sesame sticks

nail polish

sour gummies

small itunes card

Lindt truffles

Walker shortbread scotties

Green tea kitkats

In previous years she's wanted a lot of fandom t-shirts and things, but seems to have moved rather out of that for the moment and is looking to expand  her wardrobe to a bit more pulled-together look than she's worried about in the past, possibly in response to lots of college visits and attending dual enrollment classes and seeing what she will need for things like interviews for scholarships. We recently did a good-sized clothes shopping trip---new jeans, dressy winter jacket, leggings, dress, skirt, couple of tops, etc. It's hard to buy clothes for her without having her try them on at this stage since her tastes are evolving. She does have one Capt America sweatshirt and a Decemberists t-shirt on her wishlist. She was into makeup for a while, but only really cares about nail polish right now.

She just upgraded her phone on Black Friday with money she'd saved, so we bought her the case and screen protector then,and the new phone came with new earbuds (something we had considered getting as a stocking stuffer). We did a big Black Friday order of used books from Better World Books that included 8 books from her wishlist (authors--Catherine Fisher, Katherine Howe, John Flanagan, Brena Yovanoff, Gina Damico, Ransom Riggs), so she already has those. 

• Like 1

My 16 year old is newly into makeup, I got her a subscription to Ipsy, fun little package that comes once a month.

Hot Topic gift cards are a hit always as are ones for Michael's craft store.

Books are an always gift, I bought her Danse Macabre and the Beautiful Creatures boxed set.

I also bought her, thankfully got in on the pre-order, some stunning Harry Potter make up brushes from Storybook Cosmetics.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma
  • Like 1

Ticket to see her boyfriend and a weekend stay with mom...lol

For reals--

dress coat

boots

music lessons

new/upgrade in instrument

classic, quality jewelry (pearls, diamond earrings)

books

subscription to Netflix

trip to NYC (if you are close) and see a play/musical

books

• Like 1

Well that's a good start! Dd has been on this thing about Cadbury chocolates, ever since her gparents went to the UK, and while clicking the Terri's oranges I found boxes of UK Cadbury stuff! Fun! I'll try to find one of the oragnes for the stocking.

One thing down, two to go! I like the make-up subscription idea. There are just so many, I got lost in looking at all of them!

I'd love to get that chocolate for my dd, but it doesn't look like it will arrive before Christmas. If anyone knows where I can buy it for Christmas, please let me know.

I'd love to get that chocolate for my dd, but it doesn't look like it will arrive before Christmas. If anyone knows where I can buy it for Christmas, please let me know.

Do you happen to have a Cost Plus World Market in your area?  The one closest to us carries a selection of chocolate bars from the UK.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Well I didn't check that.  It's 3 weeks till Christmas and UK stuff usually takes basically a week to get here.  Should be fine.  I guess try to order and print a pic if it's late.  They shipped promptly. Yup, checked and the dates are saying it could be late.  Oh well, I really think it will get here in time.  The other stuff I've ordered from the UK came blazing fast.

Edited by OhElizabeth

My girls are 16 & 18. 

They like fandom items -  they don't have room for strictly display items, but themed shirts, playing cards, USB drives, jewelry, and so on. 

They almost always get an experience item, like tickets to a play or con or etc. 

3D pens and boogie boards, for the "toy" portion. 

Money. Cash. Greenbacks. 

Makeup, which tends to pile up quicker than they wear it, but they love getting it and having it. 

Food treats from around the world, found at World Market. 

My oldest is getting Bards Dispense Profanity, a game along the lines of Cards Against Humanity, but all of the answers are lines from Shakespeare. So it's bawdy and inappropriate but in a Shakespearean way, so quit judging me, people  :laugh:

Some schools actually supply them, so that's another thing to consider. My dd's school doesn't have mini fridges in the rooms, but they do have a decent sized regular fridge in the common area. This did not actually save us money, bc dd got a mini freezer for her room instead, so she can have some home cooked food. 

• Like 3

Do you happen to have a Cost Plus World Market in your area?  The one closest to us carries a selection of chocolate bars from the UK.

Regards,

Kareni

Ours does too (as well as a nice selection of foods/candies from all over the world).

Also, we have a local 'British' store, so they stock up on lots of candy goodies from the UK in time for the holidays. So, look around for local specialty shops from different countries to find some fun/different items.

• Like 2

My 16 year old is newly into makeup, I got her a subscription to Ipsy, fun little package that comes once a month.

Hot Topic gift cards are a hit always as are ones for Michael's craft store.

Books are an always gift, I bought her Danse Macabre and the Beautiful Creatures boxed set.

I also bought her, thankfully got in on the pre-order, some stunning Harry Potter make up brushes from Storybook Cosmetics.

I don't know what Beautiful Creatures is, so I'll have to look at that.  It would be fun to find her a new series to watch. Actually dh would like some new videos.  I should start a new thread for that.  :)

Ticket to see her boyfriend and a weekend stay with mom...lol

For reals--

dress coat

boots

music lessons

new/upgrade in instrument

classic, quality jewelry (pearls, diamond earrings)

books

subscription to Netflix

trip to NYC (if you are close) and see a play/musical

books

She got her ears pierced and I don't think has any nice new earings, so that would be an option.  We weren't really keen on it but allowed her.  It hasn't been something she has put money in.  The NYC trip sounds fun.  We haven't thought of anything fun to do when she graduates.  I had wanted to take her to England, but that's really hard right now with ds, not practical. 

It's hard to buy for my dd17. She's easy to please but never needs or wants anything. Some things she is getting or has gotten in recent years include:

silk pillowcase (better for hair and skin)

favorite movie or series (Elizabeth Gaskell Collection, Jane Austen favorites, probably a musical this year or *gasp* Hunger Games)

hoodies

footie pajamas

clothing items she needs

new book or devotional

iTunes giftcard

Dd doesn't have pierced ears, isn't into makeup or clothes. Her birthday is late Oct. so we have to carefully plan birthday/Christmas gifts or we'll run out of ideas. I actually came to this thread looking for inspiration, lol.

• Like 1

Do you happen to have a Cost Plus World Market in your area? The one closest to us carries a selection of chocolate bars from the UK.

Regards,

Kareni

There is a World Market near me that might have a couple of the candy bars, but not a Cost Plus one as far as I know. I did order a bag of UK chocolate bars from amazon that will get here before Christmas to get me started. (My son, who is the one that would really love this, is allergic to half the ones in that bag.) But, there is a little British store I just remembered, so I'm going to check them out today. I thought I could make my own little box.

• Like 1

Well I didn't check that. It's 3 weeks till Christmas and UK stuff usually takes basically a week to get here. Should be fine. I guess try to order and print a pic if it's late. They shipped promptly. Yup, checked and the dates are saying it could be late. Oh well, I really think it will get here in time. The other stuff I've ordered from the UK came blazing fast.

I ordered marzipan from Italy off of Etsy for my dad a few weeks ago and I got it very quickly, so I'm not sure why all those candy boxes from the UK say delivery will be after Christmas. I hope you get it in time!

• Like 1

Well I didn't check that.  It's 3 weeks till Christmas and UK stuff usually takes basically a week to get here.  Should be fine.  I guess try to order and print a pic if it's late.  They shipped promptly. Yup, checked and the dates are saying it could be late.  Oh well, I really think it will get here in time.  The other stuff I've ordered from the UK came blazing fast.

I went ahead and ordered it anyway.  If it gets here in time for Christmas, great.  If it doesn't, it will keep until Valentine's Day.  

• Like 1

It's hard to buy for my dd17. She's easy to please but never needs or wants anything. Some things she is getting or has gotten in recent years include:

silk pillowcase (better for hair and skin)

favorite movie or series (Elizabeth Gaskell Collection, Jane Austen favorites, probably a musical this year or *gasp* Hunger Games)

hoodies

footie pajamas

clothing items she needs

new book or devotional

iTunes giftcard

Dd doesn't have pierced ears, isn't into makeup or clothes. Her birthday is late Oct. so we have to carefully plan birthday/Christmas gifts or we'll run out of ideas. I actually came to this thread looking for inspiration, lol.

Oh wow, you're blowing my mind with the silk pillowcase!!!  That's awesome!  And she doesn't have dorm bedding yet, so I could get something to match that.  Amazon has them in lots of beautiful prints.  She'll definitely love that.  Love, love.

If I wanted to go for a pair of earrings, just little studs, what would I want?  She has some cubic zirconia things she wears all the time that she was pierced with.  She has a few others, but apparently because they're not gold gold she can't wear them a long time without irritation.  So I'm thinking a nice little pair of earrings would be nice. But I was kind of scared that super expensive might make her a target or get her ears chopped off or something.  I don't know, lol.  Amazon has all kinds of diamond stud earrings.  I don't think pearls. I don't know.

I'll just leave it kind of open-ended like that. It's not really, but let's just say it can be $20-500. Ipad, computer, etc. are not needed. Go!

My dd17 adked for gift cards to olive garden, tim hortons and walmart. She asked for pokemon moon. And for supplies for art.

• Like 1

My dh got me a lovely pair of diamond stud earrings in white gold last year from Kohl's for a great price.The sales went from Black Friday through New Years.  I don't think small tasteful earrings will make your dd a target. I also have a small pair of white gold hoops with tiny diamonds set in. I like small jewelry pieces; always tasteful and never out of style. 

I'd go with small studs or hoops. Does she like her birthstone? That's also an option for studs. But diamonds go with everything.

• Like 1