Menu

My first holiday without my mom

East Coast Sue

I lost my mom rather suddenly to cancer last month. We knew she was ill but she was hopeful and made plans for us to spend Thanksgiving together at the beach- no cooking just good family time. When she died my dad canceled the vacation reservation. So, I've made all the food and pies and we'll eat together but I'm seriously missing my mom. She had a very special way of making everybody happy and I don't have that ability. She was so amazing.

The first holidays after losing someone are especially hard. After my father died, we took a moment on the big holidays to stop, reflect, and toast his memory. It made us all teary, but that was OK. The rest of the time we just focused on the kids, who were small at the time, and keeping them busy and happy.

My sympathies to all who are hurting today--for whatever reason. May you have other blessings in your life and people to comfort you.

I lost my mom rather suddenly to cancer last month. We knew she was ill but she was hopeful and made plans for us to spend Thanksgiving together at the beach- no cooking just good family time. When she died my dad canceled the vacation reservation. So, I've made all the food and pies and we'll eat together but I'm seriously missing my mom. She had a very special way of making everybody happy and I don't have that ability. She was so amazing.

I so so sorry!! Lost a very important family member here at Christmas almost two years ago. This is our second Thanksgiving without that person, but will be the third Christmas. I am getting tearful over it. The pain never seems to end.

This is our first year without any of the older generation, since my dad was the last one to pass, this last spring.

It's going to be a rough day today for my brother and SIL who took care of my parents. I know they will really be feeling it, but I hope the joy of having their first college student back home will help! 

Hugs, and best wishes for all who are struggling with loss this year.