Menu

I paid $60 for my turkey

poppy

Supporting a local turkey farm, less than a mile from my house. 15 lb turkey.

The turkey I got is very very fresh and looks ... I don't want want to say "what a dead and defeathered bird should look like" but, whatever appetizing word means that.  (I'm not a meat eater!)

My husband is going to smoke it.

There is another turkey farm on a heavily travelled road that had had a line so long, traffic so backed up, it had a police detail. But local rumor has it that they supplement their supply with butterballs,  :lol:

If you buy a local / heritage / weird turkey, share your story.

• Like 7

I almost bought local, but they only had 20 lb turkeys for $75 each and I passed.  It's only 4 of us this year and 20 lbs is just too much even for this turkey loving crew.  We buy all of our chickens from a local farm anyway and just decided to use one of those instead.  They are so tasty!

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 1

We buy ours from a good family friend & their organic farm.

We pick up at their shop now though, not the farm.

My 3 year old thought we were going out there to "play with the turkeys", um, no. I was like "nope, they're dead, we're going to eat them" & she was like "oh, ok".

$100 for a 20 + lb turkey. We bought 3- only chance all year & we like to cook one for Xmas & one on a random weekend in winter for fun :)

It's a lot of turkey just for 6 of us, but after a day or two of leftovers, I chop & freeze for soup, pot pies, etc.

Yum!

*eta- I love too that we're buying from a family we know! I know exactly how their farm works & the kids who get to be provided for from the $ they make

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 3

We paid $75 for a 15 lb. turkey one year.   :thumbdown:   We couldn't come close to feeding the crowd we had coming, so we had to run out and purchase a ham.  Never again!  The next year we paid $8 for a 25 lb. turkey.

Treading a delicate line on this expensive holiday, but.... I personally would  skip turkey before serving that sort of meat.  I have served many delicious meatless holiday meals.

• Like 2

If you like turkey and can support a local farm, then kudos to you!

Personally, I'm kind of done with the whole "must have roast turkey" at Thanksgiving.

It's just not a meat me or my kids personally enjoy. So this year, since it's just the four of us,

we're having Reuben paninis!

We had pizza & wings with family last weekend before they all went traveling :)

• Like 1

If you like turkey and can support a local farm, then kudos to you!

Personally, I'm kind of done with the whole "must have roast turkey" at Thanksgiving.

It's just not a meat me or my kids personally enjoy. So this year, since it's just the four of us,

we're having Reuben paninis!

I don't eat turkey but am trying to be good to my guests.  And luckily, have a husband who cooks.

I will be eating the sweet potato-kale gratin that someone posted here!!

My extended family is always so late about deciding what to do, it makes it hard to get a turkey other than from the grocery store - usually local farms ask people to reserve at least a week ahead.  So - I just leave it up to them, I've washed my hands.  I would like to offer to pick one up for my MIL, as she isn't adventurous about shopping, but I don't think it would go over well.

Personally I am not a huge turkey fan, I'd have roast beef if I could choose, with Yorkshire pudding.  Although I do really enjoy the stuffing.

Growing up we got our turkeys from a coworker of my fathers, I don't think they raised the turkeys but got them from the Hutterite Colony. We would go to a farm, pick the turkey that was running around. Then there was neck wringing and feather plucking (I never participated). One year we had a 35 pound bird that my mom had to cut in half to fit in our oven. We had turkey most Sundays growing up, so the only fresh bird was for Thanksgiving.

I make ham for my family.

• Like 1

We also paid about $50 for our 13lb turkey from the local farm up the way. The line was so long that there was a police detail...

Poppy, you live in MA - you don't live near the MA/NH line, do you? You described the farm we buy from pretty accurately- well, of course, except for the 'supplementing' part.  :laugh:

I paid I think the same per pound as mine was 16 pounds. Worth it worth it! I wet brined and spatchcocked it and my in laws were raving :) DH normally doesn't like turkey but was all over this one. Feeling like a grown up woman ;)

We picked it up at the farm, but they sell at the farmer market at well. They have two kinds of turkey, white and heritage brown if I recall. Farm is 35 min away.

I also got a bag of chicken necks for broth.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Not a story regarding food, but there is a turkey that hangs out on a highway divider not far from my house.  He makes an appearance daily at rush hour in the evening.  My husband told me about it and one day I went to his work (Halloween thing) and came back about that time and saw it. He stands in the road and people drive around him.  It's pretty comical.  No clue where he is coming from.

• Like 3

I have to say I am floored at the idea of spending $50+ for a turkey. My grocery budget for the week is just $90, so I bought the $10 one at the store. It was very tasty, cooked via a tweaked alton brown method {no brine, spray with PAM instead of rubbing butter, high temp until skin starting to brown and then lower}.

We'll have turkey again tomorrow, and the carcass is in the crockpot with extras to make bone broth. 

• Like 6

I got my turkey for 47 cents pp. Twelve pounder. I bought three actually because what a deal!

I was all proud of my 58 cents a pound here :D. We buy extra too and use them for a healthier, cheaper lunch meat.

You know I hesitated before posting but the thread was about people who do choose to spend the $ on "a local / heritage / weird turkey"  &  then there were many replies saying essentially 'that's crazy' and sharing how little they spend. 

There's a reason why some people choose to spend a lot. It's not just some random hipster urge.  

I'm unsubbing this thread because I've said my piece. It's not lecturing to point out there's a cost here.  People can choose to watch the video or not, and people can also avoid cruelty on a very low budget.  

• Like 1

We only host one holiday . I saved $5 per month so I could get a humanely raised bird. I'm not wildly rich .

I don't want to lecture anyone in a holiday, and was a bit disappointed to get lectured myself so spending too much.

Oh well.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 4

It's a good thing to pay more if you can. 

It's also the effect of a systematic problem in food systems that many people simply will have to rely on food (clothes, other products) produced in ways or with ingredients that they wouldn't choose.  And with food, it isn't just meat but all the other types as well.

Most people, maybe all of us, have to make choices, all kinds of them, that are compromises.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 4

We only host one holiday . I saved $5 per month so I could get a humanely raised bird. I'm not wildly rich .

I don't want to lecture anyone in a holiday, and was a bit disappointed to get lectured myself so spending too much.

Oh well.

Who lectured you? Not me! I was just happy with my deal, but my inlaws have purchased an organic, free range turkey for us today because they have the wealth to do it. It's going to be delicious, but it's also $3-4 a pound :)

It is unkind to paint yourself morally superior to those who cannot afford to make the same choices as the wealthy. 

We don't host any holidays because that is expensive.

"The wealthy" :(

So much judgement. Damn. I was hoping to hear funny stories about local farms, not about how much I suck.

• Like 1

"The wealthy" :(

So much judgement. Damn. I was hoping to hear funny stories about local farms, not about how much I suck.

You don't suck. I think it's awesome that you bought a home-grown turkey. If there were a place nearby, I'd try to do the same. :)

I wet brined and spatchcocked it ...

I dry-brined and spatchcocked ours here. The skin was wicked salty, but the meat was delicious! I have the carcass in the freezer, and I will make broth in a few days.

I have to say I am floored at the idea of spending $50+ for a turkey. My grocery budget for the week is just $90, so I bought the $10 one at the store.

I have been there. I hope it was delicious!

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

I've done it many times. Paid more than that. One year an ex relative brought a thirty pounder from his sons organic farm. Last two years people have insisted on prefried turkey from a fast food restaurant. But I tell you when I bought the expensive turkey I used every scrap, and made quarts of turkey stock from the carcass. This year I picked off the best parts and threw the rest into the woods for the critters.

We get a $15 chicken every few weeks from the local chicken farm.  It's pricey, but as the chicken farm person said when we toured it, "These chickens have never had a bad day in their lives."  And they haven't.  Pampered, happy chickens, running around playing all day.  Right now the free range chickens from time to time are all I can afford, but I'm happy that I'm even able to do that.  :) 

• Like 5

A couple of years ago we bought a turkey which had been living the previous day.

This year we tried to buy a turkey from the same farmer, but he said he was no longer allowed to sell his birds in NC. (He is in VA, but sells at our local farmers market in NC.) We ended up getting a Plainville turkey from our local natural foods store instead. I was sad because that VA turkey was quite possibly one of the best turkeys I had ever tasted.

I bought a turkey breast from the poultry farm where I get my chicken one year. It was just us so I didn't need a very large turkey. I have to admit, it was darn good and I am not a turkey fan.

I would never buy one for dh's family a the wouldn't appreciate it. My mil would just slather ketchup on it.

• Like 1

We had a Thanksgiving at BILs house, so no leftovers for us :-( I went out yesterday and picked up a turkey breast for $8. We ate it today and have just enough for another round of sandwiches. Our turkey craving is met and I don't have to deal with the carcass. I'll probably do a whole bird at Christmas because my stockpile of freezer stock is getting low.

• Like 1