Menu

Have you ever driven far to get a car?

DawnM

We have narrowed down our car search to what we want and DH has found two great deals.  One is 3 hours away and one is 2 hours away.  He has talked to the sellers (they own car lots) and asked all sort of questions, run the VIN, etc.....neither has sister dealerships nearby to transfer to.'

We have searched locally for a few weeks and even though the SAME car is on a local lot, they will not come down enough to make it worth our while.  This particular car dealership is known for not bargaining.  I honestly can't stand them and am happy NOT to give them my business.

I am just hesitant.  He assures me people do this all the time.  He actually used to sell cars (new cars but they did have a used lot on the premises) before we got married.

I have nixed the one 2 hours away because the one 3 hours away is the color we prefer and has the upgraded package for roughly the same price.

Have you done this?  Thoughts?

Of course we will thoroughly inspect it and test drive it before buying, but I admit I will be MAD if we drive 6 hours R/T only to not have a car at the end of the deal.

On a positive note, it is at the beach, so we plan to make a day of it.

• Like 2

Absolutely, several times, and much further than you are talking about. We bought a car in August that we drove 7 hours (one direction) to get. We bought a van in 2012 from out of state. Had to overnight in a hotel to get that one. We just bought a used truck camper last month that we drove 700 miles (one direction) to get. Etc. Not unusual for us.

Edited by Kinsa

We actually bought a car once from Atlanta and had it delivered to us before driving it. My dh handled the details so I don't remember it all but I know that we had a chance to accept it or not. There was a local dealership that would take it if we didn't accept it. Even with delivery it was thousands of dollars cheaper than anything local. We're still driving that van 10 years later so it worked out fine for us. 

• Like 1

Yes. We did this when we bought our Cadillac. It was in Virginia; I think about 3 hours drive. I wanted a light exterior color but still wanted dark interior and that combination is less common. The only thing that annoyed me was that I didn't get me three headphones for the video system as promised. It was too far away to stay on top of it so I let it go.

I think for major purchases, it makes sense to be willing to look farther away.

• Like 1

My SIL and her husband bought a car from someone in Minnesota when they lived in Kentucky. DH was in law school in Minnesota at the time, so they had him handle the transaction then flew in to drive it home. This was the early 2000s and I'm still not sure what was so special about that car that they couldn't find anything closer to them.

• Like 1

Gee, Danielle, you had to drive ALL THE WAY to Virginia? How terrible for you! ;)

:D I love Virginia, but I really don't like driving. My hat is off to you and Momsinthegarden for traveling up to PA for IRL meet-ups.

• Like 2

Wow.  I guess it wouldn't have occurred to me to even think of driving far in the past.

We have put in an offer and are waiting for them to come back with an answer, counter offer, or whatever.  

I think we are going down tomorrow to get it.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

dh drove 2 hours to buy a used car.  he'd do it again.

dsil was so frustrated trying to find what he wanted in a car (and complaining about how expensive they are here.  not the first person to say that.), he was ready to buy one near his parents, fly there, and drive it back.

• Like 1

When I was a bit younger, I bought several cars from auto lease close-out consolidators in the Houston area.  Would fly into Houston, then get picked up by the seller at the airport.   Then, 22 hours driving back to Los Angeles area.  Picked up some really nice cars, and, even with the travel expenses, saved a few thousand on each. One car I purchased for $6k, got totaled a few months a later, and insurance gave me $13k. Used the insurance proceeds to get an even nicer car same way..  

• Like 1

Our past 3 cars were all bought out of state.  Most recently we bought a car in NY, about 6 hours away.  The price was about $3000 less than we could find locally (big SUV, and our specifications were pretty specific, so not a lot available in general.)  Even with the overnight in a hotel, it was worth the trip.

The experience was overwhelmingly positive.  The salesman at the dealership was interested in getting us as much information as he could prior to us making the trip.  The day before we drove up, we facetimed and took an extensive "tour" of the vehicle.  When we arrived, we took a long (over an hour) test drive, put car seats in and out, etc.  The paperwork was ready to complete before we arrived, so the paperwork portion of our trip was only about 30 minutes.  Went out to lunch and drove home.  Easy.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

A late friend was an eBay buyer.  I learned how to Snipe, when he was visiting our home in Colombia, and he did it manually, and I think that was before we had ADSL.  He purchased many things on eBay before he passed away, including a number of cars.  I don't remember how many cars he purchased on eBay, I think it was approximately 5.  They lived near DFW Airport in TX.  I know he purchased one car on eBay from someone in AL and he went down there to drive it back to TX.  2 or 3 hours is nothing. If you like the color of one car better, I'd go for that one.  The one thing I would try to do, if there is no warranty, would be to try to take it to a mechanic, but since you do not live in/near the city where the Seller is located, the chance of your knowing an honest/competent mechanic in another city is extremely low.   

I agree with your sentiments about car dealers.  I knew 2 people, years ago, who walked into different dealerships in the small city where I lived, with $ in their pockets, wanting to purchase new cars. Both of them were ignored by the Sales people who were on the floor at that time and both went to other dealerships to purchase a car.

And, I knew a man here (another "Gringo") who'd managed the Used Car operation of a New Car dealer in FL for many years. Their NET PROFIT on Used Cars is normally much higher than it would be on a New car.   BOTTOM LINE:  Try to negotiate a lower price. They probably have far more "wiggle room" with the price of a Used Car than they do with a New car.

GL with whatever you buy!

ETA: I read the OP again. If it is a New vehicle, they probably don't have as much room for negotiation, but try to negotiate the price or get them to add an "Extra" that you would find useful.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

We have narrowed down our car search to what we want and DH has found two great deals.  One is 3 hours away and one is 2 hours away.  He has talked to the sellers (they own car lots) and asked all sort of questions, run the VIN, etc.....neither has sister dealerships nearby to transfer to.'

We have searched locally for a few weeks and even though the SAME car is on a local lot, they will not come down enough to make it worth our while.  This particular car dealership is known for not bargaining.  I honestly can't stand them and am happy NOT to give them my business.

I am just hesitant.  He assures me people do this all the time.  He actually used to sell cars (new cars but they did have a used lot on the premises) before we got married.

I have nixed the one 2 hours away because the one 3 hours away is the color we prefer and has the upgraded package for roughly the same price.

Have you done this?  Thoughts?

Of course we will thoroughly inspect it and test drive it before buying, but I admit I will be MAD if we drive 6 hours R/T only to not have a car at the end of the deal.

On a positive note, it is at the beach, so we plan to make a day of it.

Interesting you should ask.  I got a vehicle in the next state a couple of months ago.  Vehicles are always cheaper in this adjoining state for some reason.

It was four hours away.  I did a lot of due diligence, and hired someone to check out the vehicle and report to me.  Then I had it shipped to me for $350.    I just wasn't up to going there.  All paperwork was handled remotely. 

So, that being said, I would totally do it.  My husband and I  drove to the next state last month to pick up a retro vanity that I needed in a house I am working on. 

• Like 1

Sight unseen, I put a Paypal deposit down on a car I found on Autotrader.  It was owned by a graduating student at Purdue University, and I was in St. Louis.  The seller had provided information and answered all of my questions satisfactorily.  We negotiated a sale price and settled on a good faith deposit amount.  My dad drove me to meet the seller near Indianapolis.  I took a quick drive in the car and was satisfied that everything was in order.  I handed the seller a certified check for the balance, hopped in and drove it back to St. Louis.  That was around 160,000 miles ago.

• Like 1

Not the same thing, but I did pay a fee of over $500 to transfer a car from a CarMax in Texas to my local lot. I made the decision because I was unable to find a car that met all of my criteria here in Florida.

Sitting on a lot in Texas was the exact model /trim I wanted, in one of my two preferred colors, with the features I was looking for. It was in my price range and, despite being two years old, had fewer than 1,000 miles on it. 

I brought it home about 10 days ago, and I really love it. Definitely one of the best car purchases I've ever made. It literally still smells new. The model is under a recall for a minor issue (having to do with the sound system not chiming loudly enough when the key is left in the ignition). So, I took it to the dealership this past weekend to take care of that, and they told me that, despite it being a 2014 model, it wasn't "put into service" until April of this year, meaning I have something like 18 months of free scheduled maintenance and two and one-half years of full warranty left. 

It's seriously like having bought a new car for a used car price.

• Like 2

So exciting! You will love the Prius!

You know what I will miss?

We have always had at least one stick shift car.  I even told DH I wanted a stick Mini.  We were also looking at Honda Civics and Mazda 3's.  I told him I wanted a stick.

Hybrids don't come in a stick.  We just gave away our stick as it was 15 years old and would cost more to fix than we want to put into it (more than it is worth.)  

I miss it and will miss not having one.

Is that silly?

• Like 1

You know what I will miss?

We have always had at least one stick shift car. I even told DH I wanted a stick Mini. We were also looking at Honda Civics and Mazda 3's. I told him I wanted a stick.

Hybrids don't come in a stick. We just gave away our stick as it was 15 years old and would cost more to fix than we want to put into it (more than it is worth.)

I miss it and will miss not having one.

Is that silly?

Doesn't seem silly to me. Several years ago, I let myself be talked into buying an automatic transmission, because it fit everything else on my checklist. I hated it so much that I traded in the car as soon as it was reasonable to do so on one that was older and nor as nice but had a manual transmission.

However, most people are not nearly as stubborn and difficult as I am. And I know lots of people who just adore the Prius. Which has its own fun/cool factor. So, I wish you many miles of happy driving!

• Like 2

We did once. I think it was only 2.5 hours (we lived an hour north of Dallas, seller was a ways south of Dallas). We called/emailed/whatever the seller (from Craigslist) to confirm the condition the vehicle was in, etc, and when we got there it turned out to be complete BS. But, on the bright side, while driving back we passed a used car lot right near the seller where we spotted a truck that seemed perfect for only $1500 (all the used car lots north of Dallas only had trucks costing upward of $3k - this was shortly after that turn in your clunker deal). So, we stopped, looked very briefly, asked some questions, and then had to leave so we'd get back home in time for our 3yo to get off the school bus. And then we went back, test drove it, and bought it. It was a very good deal (it worked great). We would never had thought to look at a used car lot south of Dallas because who'd have thought they'd have trucks so much cheaper than the ones north of Dallas (both are rural areas).

• Like 1

Good grief. I start whining if my trip is over 20 minutes.

Ha! That reminds me, we planned to take the boosters for the kids when we flew to NL, but accidentally left them in the park & fly. So, I look up Dutch law, and it says that the kids don't need the booster if the trip is 'incidental' and 'a limited distance' (and not in your own car). So, I'm like, okay, anywhere in NL is 'a limited distance' (NL is maybe 150 mi wide and 200 mi long, and we're smack dab in the middle). Unfortunately, my dad looked up some more details, and 'a limited distance' apparently is <50km. Living in Texas, the school district bused my then 4yo more than 'a limited distance' to school 5 days a week (32 miles each way > 50km).

• Like 1