Menu

Favorite Christmas books for Kids?

Katy

we have a variety.

B is for bethlehem

this is the new edition, with new artwork.  I have the older one.

S is for star

Madeline's christmas

The grinch who stole christmas

the night before christmas (I prefer the little golden book version)

a christmas dress for ellen

the best christmas pagent ever

the christmas tapestry

We've done this! It was fun but I think we did it as a two week countdown instead of as our Advent activity.

I really like the book Santa's Favorite Story. Santa's considers skipping Christmas and when the animals are alarmed that there won't be Christmas Santa tells them the Christmas story. https://www.amazon.com/Santas-Favorite-Story-Santa-Christmas/dp/141695029X

• Like 1

We do this, too. We have about 20 books because there are always at least a few nights in December that we just don't get to the reading. Also, I got tired of wrapping all of the books so I sewed simple fabric bags. Now to prepare, I put one book in each bag and tie on a ribbon.

Mortimer's Manger and Mr. Willoughby's Christmas Tree are favorites at our house.

Santa Cows is my all time favorite Christmas book. That is a non-negotiable yearly read aloud to make me happy, lol. Very different and quirky, but the kids are warming up to it, even if they don't "get" all of it. We also read The Night Tree and The Trees of the Dancing Goats every year. When we did the advent book calendar thing, I threw a couple activity-type books in for days when we were short on time (word search, I Spy, etc.).

The Sweet Smell of Christmas

Personal childhood favorite (scratch n sniff book)

A couple of years ago we bought the recordable Hallmark Christmas books. My parents did the recording on one book and my MIL did the recording on the other. One is The Night Before Christmas and the other is a religious story of Christmas. Other places sell the recordable books as well. Anyway, so now the kids can listen to their grandparents when we open those books.

• Like 2

I always loved Christmas in the Stable by Astrid Lindgren.

Also, the section in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn where a tree lot owner throws the last tree in the lot to a child who can keep it if they remain standing.  It has kind of been turned into a short story and is in one of our Christmas books.

Oh, another favorite is The Gift of the Magi.

The Father Christmas Letters by Tolkien

Wenceslas by McCaughrean

Christmas Day in the Morning by Buck

Song of the Stars by Sally Lloyd-Jones

The Twenty Four Days before Christmas by Madeleine L'Engle

Amahl and the Night Visitors - illus by Duvoisin to go with the music.

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey

The Story of Holly and Ivy by Godden, illus. Cooney.

I think The Crippled Lamb is very sweet. I also love The Sweet Smell of Christmas. I'll have to look through our collection when I'm not under a nursing baby for more ideas.

Another one I remembered is The Mouse's Terrible Christmas. I think it's out of print, but you might be able to find it at the library. We got it from the library whe I was a kid, then DH found a copy on eBay for our kids.

Edited by AnnE-girl
  • Like 1

Some of our favorites over the years:

Silver Packages by Cynthia Rylant--a rich man rides a train through Appalachia and throws gifts to the poor children who are waiting, in order to repay a debt he owes the people who live there.

Night Tree by Eve Bunting--A family makes its annual pilgrimage to decorate an evergreen tree with food for the forest animals at Christmastime.

The Christmas Story by Gennadii Spirin--The Christmas story : according to the Gospels of Matthew and Luke from the King James Bible / paintings by Gennady Spirin.

The Amazing Christmas Extravaganza by David Shannon--Much to the dismay of neighbors and family, Mr. Merriweather's Christmas display grows from a simple string of white lights into an outrageous spectacle.

The Christmas Coat by Clyde Robert Bulla--Two brothers who squabble all the time cause their mother great despair, until a common purpose unites them in working unselfishly together--enabling them to give their mother her dearest wish for Christmas.

• Like 1

The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado is one of my personal favorites. The lamb who is crippled can't go out with the shepherds and other sheep because he can't walk that far so he is in the stable when Jesus is born. I have a disabled dd so this one always makes me cry! In a good way.

Others we enjoy:

Olive the other reindeer--Olive is a dog who thinks she's one of Santa's reindeer

Carl's Christmas

Any of Tomie dePaola's Christmas books--we always got these from the library--The Night of Las Posadas, The Legend of the Poinsettia, and An Early American Christmas are all good, but there are a ton more. Check out the dePaola collection in the children's section of your library.

• Like 1

Good suggestions so far, and I would add:

"The Christmas Mouse" (story of the writing of Silent Night)

The chapter of Little Women where the main characters give their much anticipated Christmas treats to a needier family

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Paul Maier--"The Very First Christmas"  (If you like that one, and I'll bet you will, he has also written similar books about Easter and Pentecost.)

"Christmas Truce"

In the video category (this MUST be the videos, the story books would not work nearly as well, and I am so not a video person):

The Peanuts Christmas special

Red Boots for Christmas (based on a German folktale.  Most charming holiday video ever.)

Two of our favorites are:

The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree, https://www.amazon.com/Year-Perfect-Christmas-Tree-Appalachian/dp/0140558772 , about pluck and perseverance in WW1 Appalachia. It has additional meaning for us since we have family in the town it's based on.

The Christmas Cat, https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Cat-Efner-Tudor-Holmes/dp/0064432084 , about a homeless kitten delivered from a blizzard to two country kids.

Not a family favorite, but someone should mention Polar Express, https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Express-anniversary-Chris-Allsburg/dp/0544580141 , since it's a ultra classic Caldecott winner about a trip to visit Santa.

Edited by raptor_dad

The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado is one of my personal favorites. The lamb who is crippled can't go out with the shepherds and other sheep because he can't walk that far so he is in the stable when Jesus is born. I have a disabled dd so this one always makes me cry! In a good way.

Others we enjoy:

Olive the other reindeer--Olive is a dog who thinks she's one of Santa's reindeer

Carl's Christmas

Any of Tomie dePaola's Christmas books--we always got these from the library--The Night of Las Posadas, The Legend of the Poinsettia, and An Early American Christmas are all good, but there are a ton more. Check out the dePaola collection in the children's section of your library.

Oh, we love Carl's Christmas :)

• Like 2

I put ** next to our top 5 favorites :).

** Letters from Father Christmas (Tolkien) -- either ISBN: 9780618009374  OR  ISBN: 9780395596982

** Christmas Every Day (Howells)

B is for Bethlehem (Wilner)

Trouble at Christmas (Johnson)
The TALL Book of Christmas (Smith)
Find The Gifts on The Twelve Days of Christmas (a "Look and Find" book) (Tallarico)

When It Snowed That Night (Farber) -- collection of poems

** Small Miracle (Collington)
The Polar Express (Van Allsberg)
The Last Straw (Thury)
Dance in the Desert (L'engle)
The Other Wiseman (retelling by Kennedy) -- hanky alert!
The Snowman (Briggs) -- another hanky alert!
A Christmas Carol (French) -- abridged version

ETA: a few more:
Christmas Trolls (Brett) -- she has several other Christmas books, too
Christmas Cookies (Lewison) -- a sweet chunky book for little ones -- the Carl book mentioned above reminded me :)
Little Golden Book: Poky Little Puppy's First Christmas -- because everyone needs a few Little Golden books :)
Little Golden Book: Richard Scarry's Christmas Mice (Scarry) -- because everyone needs a few Richard Scarry books :)

No personal experience, but this Little Golden Book popped up when I looked for the one above, and it looks sweet: The Little Christmas Elf

And some stepped readers for those just starting to read:
Marvin's Best Christmas Present Ever (Paterson)
Merry Christmas Amelia Bedelia (Parish)
Arthur's Christmas Cookies (Boban)
Aunt Eater's Mystery Christmas (Cushman)
Santa's Moose (Hoff)
Minnie and Moo: The Night Before Christmas (Cazet)
Edited by Lori D.

I didn't see our family's favorites represented:

The Little Fir Tree by Margaret Wise Brown 

Little Drummer Boy, illustrated by Ezra Jack Keats

The Clown of God by Tomi DePaola

Each of these get a genuine tear from me the first read of the season.

The Sweet Smell of Christmas

Personal childhood favorite (scratch n sniff book)

A couple of years ago we bought the recordable Hallmark Christmas books. My parents did the recording on one book and my MIL did the recording on the other. One is The Night Before Christmas and the other is a religious story of Christmas. Other places sell the recordable books as well. Anyway, so now the kids can listen to their grandparents when we open those books.

The Sweet Smell of Christmas brings back such wonderful memories for me! It was also my childhood favorite.

Now I love, love, LOVE Angela and the Baby Jesus. It's written by Frank McCourt about his mother (Angela of Angela's Ashes). It tells the true story of how, as a little girl in Ireland, she took the baby Jesus from the church's creche because she was afraid he was cold. It's absolutely precious. Gets me every time!

• Like 1

Also, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is hilarious and sweet. It's thought provoking about how we see and respond to those who are less fortunate (be it financially, or with family, or both).

Little House and Anne of Green Gables both have anthologies of their assorted Christmas stories.

Annika's Christmas Wish -- I cry every time. And the illustrations are gorgeous.

Waiting for Noelle is sweet, and so is Madeline L'Engel's The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas. (I got a much-awaited baby sister for Christmas one year, literally, so stories about Christmas babies are especially sweet to me.)

Elizabeth Foss has a whole list sorted by area of the world here: http://www.elizabethfoss.com/journal/reallearning/2007/10/advent-and-christmas-with.html