Menu

What are the silliest comments that you have received regarding homeschooling?

3 ladybugs

I used to live in that world too. Where I live now, people do not generally dwell in the world of ideas and books.

I'm sure people here generally go by "friendly, approachable, and interesting" too - but what makes someone appear that way? Here, it seems to me that clothing plays a part in it.

FWIW, I feel badly that my description makes the people around me sound petty. I don't think most of them are. I don't think they'd say it matters to them - but in observing them I see that it does. I wish I knew where that NPR "article" was - I'll look for it.

Well, this isn't the thing I heard on NPR, but it is one of many articles talking about the concept.

I agree. I can't account for how it varies throughout the world, but there are definitely cues that people pick up on from an early age that has to do with clothing and general presentation. I think the lines are fuzzier in some communtities of people than in others. For example, I think my homeschool co-op moms are less likely to self-segregate based on clothing, but in other "parts" of my life, there is a difference and it's palpable.

• Like 1

We just started homeschooling and our pediatrician offered to "help with our education plan" - I certainly didn't expect to hear that from our kids doctor, of all people! I do love our pediatrician, and I think that she sincerely meant well, but it was pretty silly. If she brings it up again, maybe I'll ask her to give an educational tour of the office, since she wants to help so much  :laugh:

Oh, that would be fun!  Can we get tours of Drs' offices?  :)  Let us know if that works!!  :laugh:

• Like 1

We just started homeschooling and our pediatrician offered to "help with our education plan" - I certainly didn't expect to hear that from our kids doctor, of all people! I do love our pediatrician, and I think that she sincerely meant well, but it was pretty silly. If she brings it up again, maybe I'll ask her to give an educational tour of the office, since she wants to help so much :laugh:

Tell her your dentist and landscaper already went over it and thought it looked great.

• Like 23

Ok I have been doing this a long time and also tire of the socialization nonsense.

But... The stereotype is there for a reason. We have run into (quite a few...) homeschooled kids who are just...backward socially. Enough that they really stand out awkwardly in a group of teens. Their behaviors and such are just...out of sync is the nicest way I can say it.

In fact last week my boys early morning seminary teacher (religious class that meets before school) asked them if they really were homeschooled. When they said yes he asked if they had ever been in school. When they said no he asked how come they were so normal compared to so many other kids he's taught that wee homeschooled (some of which my boys do know and confirm that they are awkward)

I think it is easy for us to blow it off and I do think homeschooling has distinct advantages socially also. But there are many many homeschoolers who don't make proper socialization a priority.

Agree. However, I'm not sure how "social" a child is can be attributed to the schooling method. I have seen many "socially awkward" children who spend all day long in a classroom with other children their age. I think it also depends on the person, not necessarily being homeschooled or not.

My mom was talking to her friend who mentioned that she buys her grandkids' school clothes. My mom commented that she'd never done that and the friend responded, "Well, they're homeschooled ... they don't need clothes."

To which my mom responded, "They're homeschooled, but they still wear clothes!"

Your mom was nice. I'd have said I totally forgot they ran around naked all day long, and I actually count it as extra credit for anatomy :)
  • Like 1

I have been laughing so hard! This thread is just funny! Cracks me up, folks just come up with some seriously funny comments.

We haven't got much besides the "what about socialization" which I admit it's a problem for us, too much socialization interrupts our regular school days. And other folks seem to be concerned that we might not send them to ps for highschool, but we just say we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Overall, I was just amazed how supportive people were- particularly single people without kids (in the military) and most professionals we met.  The comments would generally range from how lucky the kids were or how they wished that they had been homeschooled (from the singles in the military) to  the professionals generally start talking to the kids too or in a more educational manner.  Like doctors would go into anatomy of their issue or discuss disease processes or piano tuner shows tools and explains or  veterinarian explains in more detail, etc, etc.  I really think I only had one negative comment in 20 years of homeschooling and that was right at the beginning.  It was a fellow book club member at our annual lunch outing and while I remember the restaurant, I don't remember what she said.  I think it was something like how do I think I can do this without a teaching certificate.  I was starting with second grade and I really think any well educated person can teach second grade if they want to and have a bit of patience.

On Socialization, I think an easy analogy can be made to kids from big families (B&M schooled kids) and small families (homeschooled kids).   If being around other people all the time automatically meant being better socialized, then those with lots of siblings would be noticeably better socialized.  But they aren't.   The reason is that in both public schooled kids and big family kids, you also get more negative socialization. I've heard plenty of negative socialization stories.   For example, DH's much older sister loved to tickle him until he literally peed himself.   That couldn't have been good for his socialization.  

• Like 1

On Socialization, I think an easy analogy can be made to kids from big families (B&M schooled kids) and small families (homeschooled kids). If being around other people all the time automatically meant being better socialized, then those with lots of siblings would be noticeably better socialized. But they aren't. The reason is that in both public schooled kids and big family kids, you also get more negative socialization. I've heard plenty of negative socialization stories. For example, DH's much older sister loved to tickle him until he literally peed himself. That couldn't have been good for his socialization.

Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but how do you figure large families "get more negative socialization"?

Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but how do you figure large families "get more negative socialization"?

I think she just means: if a person spends more time (total) in a social environment, then it is reasonable to assume that one participates in the normal proportion of both positive and negative social interactions -- but more of each. A child in a large family experiences BOTH more positive social interactions, AND more negative interactions, because they experience more interactions in total.

The idea implied is that "quantity" of socialization does not usually effect "quality" of socialization, because kids tend to experience a balance of different types of social experiences no matter what "quantity" they experience. 'More socialization' isn't logically assumed to mean 'more of the positive type socialization without extra negative socialization to go with it' -- it should be assumed that 'more socialization' means 'more of each'. 

If one eats a mixture of red and yellow jelly beans, eating a small handful and eating a whole bowlful will generally yeild the same proportion of reds and yellows. However the person who ate the whole bowlful indeed "got more yellow beans" than then person who ate the handful.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 5

I think she just means: if a person spends more time (total) in a social environment, then it is reasonable to assume that one participates in the normal proportion of both positive and negative social interactions -- but more of each. A child in a large family experiences BOTH more positive social interactions, AND more negative interactions, because they experience more interactions in total.

The idea implied is that "quantity" of socialization does not usually effect "quality" of socialization, because kids tend to experience a balance of different types of social experiences no matter what "quantity" they experience. 'More socialization' isn't logically assumed to mean 'more of the positive type socialization without extra negative socialization to go with it' -- it should be assumed that 'more socialization' means 'more of each'. 

If one eats a mixture of red and yellow jelly beans, eating a small handful and eating a whole bowlful will generally yeild the same proportion of reds and yellows. However the person who ate the whole bowlful indeed "got more yellow beans" than then person who ate the handful.

Yes, that was what I meant, and it more eloquent than mine was even in my head.    

• Like 1

Coming to the thread late but I have received more positive comments than negative comments regarding homeschooling.

This used to happen much more often when she was younger but still occasionally happens. Dd performs music regularly and after a performance someone will comment about how mature she is, how composed she is on stage, how well she holds a conversation, etc.... A few minutes later during the usual questioning about where she goes to school, I answer she homeschools and they ask, "Aren't you worried about socialization?"  :confused1:

• Like 4

This is my first year, but it seems to me that my son is socializing better now than when he was in public preschool. He's an introvert, and daily interactions were difficult and taxing. But only socializing a few times a week, he's able to put forth more energy because he has the rest of the week to recharge.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Coming to the thread late but I have received more positive comments than negative comments regarding homeschooling.

This used to happen much more often when she was younger but still occasionally happens. Dd performs music regularly and after a performance someone will comment about how mature she is, how composed she is on stage, how well she holds a conversation, etc.... A few minutes later during the usual questioning about where she goes to school, I answer she homeschools and they ask, "Aren't you worried about socialization?"  :confused1:

People are nuts, truly.   Real life examples of how preconceived notions trump direct observation.  

I would think people in dance, music, gymnastics, etc. would be more familiar with homeschooling.  My impression is that when kids want to put serious time into practicing, homeschooling is done if it is remotely possible, and that it isn't a new thing.   

• Like 1

I think it was something like how do I think I can do this without a teaching certificate.  I was starting with second grade and I really think any well educated person can teach second grade if they want to and have a bit of patience.

Definitely.

As of 1952, in fact,

..fully half the nation's 600,000 public elementary-school teachers did not hold college degrees.

- Lucas, Teacher Education in America

• Like 3

This used to happen much more often when she was younger but still occasionally happens. Dd performs music regularly and after a performance someone will comment about how mature she is, how composed she is on stage, how well she holds a conversation, etc.... A few minutes later during the usual questioning about where she goes to school, I answer she homeschools and they ask, "Aren't you worried about socialization?" :confused1:

I got "But when is she with normal kids?" question last week-at DD's competitive rec cheer practice (she's currently the only homeschooler).

Funny, I kind of thought your kids were normal....

• Like 6

But Latin, boy, well.....I went from the poor misguided homeschool mom to intimidating super mom in a single sentence. It's like "oh she's studying Latin." Boom. Mic drop

Latin would usually get you asked about which church you go to here.

There are many agnostic homeschoolers in my area but the underlying assumption is that if you are agnostic, your assigned schools must be horrid and you can't afford private secular schools.

i think I've had all of the questions/comments mentioned by pp, but the one from my FIL takes the cake and still makes me angry.

"You need to send him to school so he can get on a good schedule. "

I went off on that one. FIL watched MIL not homeschool their last two, one of which I married. DH got his GED after his job threatened to lay him off.

I have to add, the "I don't know how you do it?? How can you tolerate your kids all day long?" just makes me sad :(.

A massage therapist last week almost had a heart attack when I told him I had 5 kids...he said he has 2 and it's more than what he can handle. And when the homeschooling topic came about he was more shocked. He said he was selfish and lazy and could not imagine spending all that time with his kids. I tried to sugarcoat it and said I was sure he didn't mean that, but he reiterated it several times. He patted me on the back and said I was a "superhero" for just dedicating myself to my kids like that. Have also heard it from some moms. It makes me sad :(

• Like 2

What IS it with this state and the Texas history freaks?!? I totally hear you on that. We've gotten the same thing.

WHAT? You didn't devote two years to the study the study of one state? (That hasn't even been around for 200 years.) Why on earth would you study world history when you could be spending all of that time studying Texas?? And these people were being quite serious. They might not be able to tell you how many World Wars there have been, but dammit, they can tell you all about Santa Ana.

Haha!😂 We have been in TX for 4 years now, but we are planning to move again so I'm not putting all of the energy and effort into studying TX history. We read a couple of library books about TX and that's about it.

Edited by JessReplanted

I went in to office max a couple of days ago to print off a workbook for one of my kids.

Employee asked, "So you are a teacher?"  

Me, "Yes, I'm a teacher"

Employee, "At the local university?" 

Me- "Nope I teach my own kids".

Employee, "So you must be an expert on educational pedagogy?"

Me- "Not exactly an expert but I have read and educated myself on the subject. Particularly on classical education"  

Employee--crickets

• Like 1

I went in to office max a couple of days ago to print off a workbook for one of my kids.

Employee asked, "So you are a teacher?"  

Me, "Yes, I'm a teacher"

Employee, "At the local university?" 

Me- "Nope I teach my own kids".

Employee, "So you must be an expert on educational pedagogy?"

Me- "Not exactly an expert but I have read and educated myself on the subject. Particularly on classical education"  

Employee--crickets

I would have just answered, "Yes, I am."

• Like 5

My entire 4th grade year of social studies in California was devoted to state history. It's a rite of passage to build your mission out of sugar cubes.

Yes, the mission! I built San Juan Capistrano, and we took a field trip there as well. If you're still in CA, have you seen the kits and materials you can buy now? Back in my day...<insert grumbling old lady>

• Like 2

I have to add, the "I don't know how you do it?? How can you tolerate your kids all day long?" just makes me sad :(.

A massage therapist last week almost had a heart attack when I told him I had 5 kids...he said he has 2 and it's more than what he can handle. And when the homeschooling topic came about he was more shocked. He said he was selfish and lazy and could not imagine spending all that time with his kids. I tried to sugarcoat it and said I was sure he didn't mean that, but he reiterated it several times. He patted me on the back and said I was a "superhero" for just dedicating myself to my kids like that. Have also heard it from some moms. It makes me sad :(

I've gotten this too and it just makes me so sad!  

Lately I've had people say they should look into homeschooling whenever they find out we do it.  I'm usually very enthusiastic about encouraging them, but to be honest some of them really shouldn't.  I'm referring to my sister that can't even get her 3 yr old to mind.  

• Like 1

One day I got a little upset and said, "I like mine".   Response (crickets).   But, I didn't have to listen anymore to them tell me all the ways they didn't like their kids.  

• Like 5

My MIL said, "They are never going to want to go back to school, starting at 9."  Um, the public school starts at 9. 

To be fair, I bet their commute is shorter :)

(Don't tell your MIL what time we get up most mornings. 9am is positively early! But not as early as our (horrific) zoned middle school - 7:40am. That's not why the girls are homeschooled, but I should let them know how early it is.)

• Like 1

My entire 4th grade year of social studies in California was devoted to state history. It's a rite of passage to build your mission out of sugar cubes.

I think covering state history in 4th grade is pretty standard; we had state history in 4th in Virginia. I enjoyed the field trips to historic plantations.

The 7th grade repeat in Texas is I think unusual.

Parent 1: So, your child graduated this year. You homeschooled, so does that mean she can go to the local Community College?

Me: Yes, it does mean that she could have gone there if she wanted to, but she didn't.

Parent 1: Guess she was too scared to go; maybe she will be ready next year.

Me: Actually, she is at Cornell University this year making A and Bs.

Parent 1:  You're kidding, right!

Me: Nope.

Rinse and repeat a hundred times with a side order of some people saying Cornell's standards must be slipping.

• Like 17

Oh!  I have another funny one....

One day I ran into a woman I knew briefly from a short stint in a park day group for mommies of preschoolers.  We hadn't seen each other in years but everyone knew I had chosen to homeschool.  I asked about her kids and she told me that her son was having trouble in school and she had decided to try homeschooling.  She said,

"I was really afraid at first, but then I thought to myself, if Amber can do it then I'm sure I can!"

Thank you, so much.  Really.  It means so much to know that I am an inspiration.  

Amber in SJ

• Like 14

I think covering state history in 4th grade is pretty standard; we had state history in 4th in Virginia. I enjoyed the field trips to historic plantations.

The 7th grade repeat in Texas is I think unusual.

NC teaches state history in both 4th and 8th grades. Or at least it did when I was in school. Instead of missions, we made models of lighthouses. :)

We just work it into our usual world history studies and make a point of visiting various historical sites around the state as part of our other travels. And NC has a pretty good state history museum too.

• Like 2

One day I got a little upset and said, "I like mine". Response (crickets). But, I didn't have to listen anymore to them tell me all the ways they didn't like their kids.

Yup, if it gets bad I do tell them I love my children, truly enjoy my time with them, and wouldn't change it for anything.

I've gotten this too and it just makes me so sad!

Lately I've had people say they should look into homeschooling whenever they find out we do it. I'm usually very enthusiastic about encouraging them, but to be honest some of them really shouldn't. I'm referring to my sister that can't even get her 3 yr old to mind.

Totally agree. We have ran into similar situations. Homeschooling is not a good choice for everyone

Our pediatrician stated that ds12 wouldn't get sick nearly as often since he was homeschooled. :lol:

I actually found this to be the case. While my kids attended public school, they had a few viral infections (mostly respiratory stuff) every single year - nothing major, but the kind of stuff that makes the rounds, enough to miss a few days of school. After I pulled them out, they were never sick.

So I am sure that statistically the pediatrician is correct (of course, there are children with illnesses that have nothing to do with being immersed in a pool of contagion at school, and for them it makes no difference)

• Like 5

Our pediatrician stated that ds12 wouldn't get sick nearly as often since he was homeschooled. :lol:

This reminded me of one time when I took one of my kids in for an ear infection.  I had to see a different pediatrician in our practice than I usually do and had several of my younger kids in tow with the kid who was sick - I can't even remember which kid it was but I know he was older elementary because the dr. commented that it was the first time in his life that he would be on antibiotics and how unusual it was at his age.

Anyway, she followed up that statement by looking at my younger kids and saying, "You know, you really should put them in school.  Then they can get sick when the other kids do and be over all that by the time they are (current sick kid's) age".   

????  because older kids never get sick with a cold, or the flu, or an ear infection or sinus infection? And this was after she commented how wonderful it was that I had an older kid who had never had to be on antibiotics before!   I'm not sure what I answered but I do know that I jumped through hoops to avoid that dr. for the rest of her time in that practice.

• Like 1

My youngest ended up getting two childhood diseases in her teens (Hand, foot and mouth disease and fifth disease) which she got from being on the summer swim team and helping the youngest kids with their swimming.  She was the only one of my three to get these and I think the others missed them because of homeschooling. She was homeschooled too but around lots of kids in swim team.

Silliest question:

"Do your homeschooled kids wear uniforms?"

No idea where that came from or why.  I'm not usually at a loss for words, but I was then because I was sure I had misheard the question.  Then they asked what my kids wear for school.  "We shop for clothes at Target, JC Penny and Ross, so pretty much the same kinds of things kids wear at schools where there are no uniforms."

Silliest comment:

"Her migraines must be because she's homeschooled." 

Which is funny because the pediatrician said he thinks most of his stress related migraine patients are triggered by their negative ps situations and he suggests their parents consider a change in educational environment (including homeschooling) as part of their treatment in addition to meds and identifying triggers.

The pediatric neurologist specializing in headaches for PHX Children's Hospital who we saw for treatment said my daughter was the first homeschooled kid she'd ever had as a patient and thought the whole idea of homeschooling was really interesting and was very positive about it. Oh, and the fact that the vertebra in my daughter's neck were bent the wrong direction was a big contributing factor the the migraines.

• Like 2

This reminded me of one time when I took one of my kids in for an ear infection.  I had to see a different pediatrician in our practice than I usually do and had several of my younger kids in tow with the kid who was sick - I can't even remember which kid it was but I know he was older elementary because the dr. commented that it was the first time in his life that he would be on antibiotics and how unusual it was at his age.

I never had antibiotics as a kid (in NL), despite frequent ear aches in elementary school, and a diagnosis of chronic bronchitis in upper elementary (I always catch every respiratory illness going around). I suspect my first bout of antibiotics was during my year as an exchange student in Thailand (diarrhea, vomiting, dr gave me mystery* pills to take). A lot of doctors in the US way overprescribe antibiotics - I'm pretty sure most kids in NL never get prescribed antibiotics.

*Mystery because my Thai was not sufficient at the time to ask what on earth they were, at least not while I was ill enough to see a doctor, kwim?

• Like 4