Menu

Losing weight while not feeling ravenous

klmama

I can lose weight by not eating wheat and dairy.  When I do that, though, I feel hungry all the time.  I need more good fats in my diet, but right now guacamole is about it.  What foods do you find satisfy your hunger without adding too many calories? 

Sorry, I've only ever done it without hunger with ketogenic low carb. If I'm under about 20-30 total carbs of whole food, combined with skipping breakfast altogether, the weight comes off with no hunger at all.

I have major hormonal problems, have reduced my body by more than half, and regained due to more health issues. This makes even me melt off weight at a solid clip of 1-2 pounds per week. So that's saying something.

The foods I eat to assuage hunger are things like raw veggies and a nice dip, salted butter, hot tea and broth, chicken thighs, etc. Fiber, fat, and protein combined in various ways once I'm ketogenically adapted.

And guacamole is a lovely thing - I love celery dipped in guac.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I've heard hot drinks satisfy you for a while better than a cold drink. I drink coffee or hot choolate (using a supposedly cappucino mix found next to the instant coffee in the store, but is really glorified hot chocolate). If I'm in the mood, I'll have a cup of tea.

My mom uses nuts and air popped popcorn to stave off hunger during the day.

• Like 1

Coffee is my preferred diet food. ;)

Seriously -- I've never been able to lose weight w/o being rather uncomfortably hungry a good portion of the time. It sucks. Even on low carb I was hungry. The only difference is that it wasn't the "OMG I HAVE to eat right now or I'm gonna die!" kind of hunger. I could ignore it more easily, but it was definitely still there. My definition of being able to diet successfully is being able to make peace with being hungry. I know there are people who claim they can lose w/o being uncomfortably hungry, but that's never been my experience. I guess if that ever happened to me I'd really worry that I had cancer or some other medical issue.

• Like 4

Seriously -- I've never been able to lose weight w/o being rather uncomfortably hungry a good portion of the time. It sucks. Even on low carb I was hungry. The only difference is that it wasn't the "OMG I HAVE to eat right now or I'm gonna die!" kind of hunger. I could ignore it more easily, but it was definitely still there. My definition of being able to diet successfully is being able to make peace with being hungry. I know there are people who claim they can lose w/o being uncomfortably hungry, but that's never been my experience. I guess if that ever happened to me I'd really worry that I had cancer or some other medical issue.

I can't lose or maintain weight without being hungry.  I hate it and sometimes I wonder if it's worth it.  I'm tired of fighting hunger all the time and then feeling guilty when I cave and eat.  

• Like 4

Coconut oil, butter, olive oil. Eat to satisfaction, including plenty of the fats. Don't fret over calories at first. Many folks who cut the sugar and carbs don't need to count calories (there are exceptions) to lose weight.

I like making "fat bombs" that combine butter, coconut oil, and flavorings (have some lemon ones in the freezer right now, yum!). I eat one or two after a meal that isn't especially high fat or in between meals to cut off cravings. Don't let yourself be ravenous. That will not be sustainable.

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 3

The only thing I've lost weight with successfully and I'm never hungry is trim healthy mama. I would probably lose with low carb but haven't tried it because I have thyroid issues already and my reading leads me to understand that the thyroid really needs carbs. And restricting whole food groups especially fruits doesn't make sense to me. I have tried calorie counting and weight watchers in the past and was always starving. I am very relieved to be able to lose while eating real food and being satisfied.

Most important I believe is centering your meals around protein and avoiding sugar and white flour including bread and pasta. Carbs come from fruits and brown rice and oatmeal and sweet potatoes and are eaten in a low fat setting. I don't know why it works but it does.

• Like 5

Weight watchers works really well for me.  I eat smaller portions but when I'm hungry I eat.  I've lost weight on whole 30, low carb, 17 day diet, but this is the first time I've done it without feeling ravenous.  There's an adjustment period with any diet, but I eat when I'm hungry, I eat a moderate amount of carbs and fats and I'm losing weight steadily. 

The only thing I've lost weight with successfully and I'm never hungry is trim healthy mama. I would probably lose with low carb but haven't tried it because I have thyroid issues already and my reading leads me to understand that the thyroid really needs carbs. And restricting whole food groups especially fruits doesn't make sense to me. I have tried calorie counting and weight watchers in the past and was always starving. I am very relieved to be able to lose while eating real food and being satisfied.

Most important I believe is centering your meals around protein and avoiding sugar and white flour including bread and pasta. Carbs come from fruits and brown rice and oatmeal and sweet potatoes and are eaten in a low fat setting. I don't know why it works but it does.

Yes.

FWIW I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year after I did my first (and only) stint of low carb eating. Of course I can't say that it definitely caused/contributed to the diagnosis, but my instinct has always been that restricting any one food group to an extreme isn't healthy. I wish I'd listened to my own instincts.

• Like 2

Boiled eggs and/ or chicken breasts mostly on a big bowl of salad likely dressed with vinegar or weirdly kalamata olive brine. It's my go to. Protein and bulk. If I'm not hungry enough for that I figure I'm not hungry I'm bored. I don't snack often as I try to stick to 3S plan but if I absolutely need something that's it. My meals are mostly veg and lean protein with a small amount if brown rice, oatmeal or starchy veg daily. I eat berries and melon and save fruits for dessert. I avoid easy carbs and sugar because they leave me hungrier than when I started.

Edited by joyofsix

I would rule out horomone and thyroid issues first because when either are out of whack for me it makes me crazy ravenous.

After that I think different things work for different people- some people feel satiety on a lc/hf diet, some feel it eating high fiber(especially low calorie fruits and veggies), some high protein. I think as a general rule keeping your meal somewhat balanced w/ protein/fat/carb helps- going too high in refined carbs generally leads to being hungry much sooner after eating. 

I would probably lose with low carb but haven't tried it because I have thyroid issues already and my reading leads me to understand that the thyroid really needs carbs. And restricting whole food groups especially fruits doesn't make sense to me.

Yes.

FWIW I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year after I did my first (and only) stint of low carb eating. Of course I can't say that it definitely caused/contributed to the diagnosis, but my instinct has always been that restricting any one food group to an extreme isn't healthy. I wish I'd listened to my own instincts.

I was just talking about this on my PCOS thread. I've ate relatively lc- I mean lower than SAD for years but after baby 3 I went VLC and seemed to do well but come pregnancy 4 my thyroid crapped out. Since being diagnosed I've tried going LC again to get my BG numbers good(there not terrible not my FBG is a bit elevated) but I end up crashing after my last time I did more research on the role of carbs and thyroid hormones and it seems pretty clear from the research that you need to watch going too lc with thyroid issues lest you end up making it worse. Since I cant seem to make all parts of my body happy at all times I aim for somewhere in between.

• Like 2

Ketogenic is the best for that, in my experience, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have any thyroid or other hormone issues.  If you don't want to go that route, you can still emphasize satiating calories from protein and fat over carbs, especially fast-burning carbs which increase appetite for a lot of people.

I'm pretty severely hypothyroid but low carb hasn't exacerbated that. Losing weight does down regulate thyroid function a bit but honestly it doesn't change my dosage or how I feel overall. That said, I don't have autoimmune thyroid issues, I have hypothyroid secondary to other hormonal issues which may make a difference. But plenty of us hypo gals still do very well on low carb, and very low carb. It just depends and takes individual testing.

Be aware large weight loss will worsen it a bit, but that's irrespective of the plan chosen.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I just don't know. I can't do low carb. I actually would prefer a vegetarian diet over low carb. Really low carb makes me feel like crap.

Lethartic, sluggish, etc...

I hit that for two or three weeks and then I'm the energizer bunny. But some people really don't flourish on that sort of diet - it's SO individual. I usually recommend someone give it a well formulated, whole foods ketogenic plan 6-8 completely cheat free weeks before judging, but some just can't make it. Another gal I know had such a hard time through adaptation that her hack ended up being backing down ten carb grams every week, so she went from about 100 down to 20 very slowly and had no symptoms - I thought that was genius!

But truly, if it just doesn't fit your body's needs and you don't have symptoms of carbohydrate intolerance/insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome, keep doing what works. A quarter of the population doesn't need to restrict grain, starchy vegetable, or fruit content much at all. Someone has to be in that quarter, right?

Edited by Arctic Mama

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but a cup of applesauce keeps me feeling full for a good hour or more. Really full, not on-the-edge hungry.

I also agree w/ peanut butter.

My main plan is to eat every two hours or so. . . so that I don't get overly hungry.

Alley

• Like 3

I hit that for two or three weeks and then I'm the energizer bunny. But some people really don't flourish on that sort of diet - it's SO individual. I usually recommend someone give it a well formulated, whole foods ketogenic plan 6-8 completely cheat free weeks before judging, but some just can't make it. Another gal I know had such a hard time through adaptation that her hack ended up being backing down ten carb grams every week, so she went from about 100 down to 20 very slowly and had no symptoms - I thought that was genius!

But truly, if it just doesn't fit your body's needs and you don't have symptoms of carbohydrate intolerance/insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome, keep doing what works. A quarter of the population doesn't need to restrict grain, starchy vegetable, or fruit content much at all. Someone has to be in that quarter, right?

I find it very hard to believe that only a quarter of the population don't need to restrict grains or healthy carbs.

I think it all depends on what you follow.

There have been many who lose weight on calorie restriction or Weight Watchers or even Whole Foods, who continue to have more than 100gr carbs per day.

I personally don't think it is healthy to eat that much meat, and my IBS issues can't handle much in the way of beans and dairy.

I can't tell you how long I stuck to the low carb diet (Atkins and then a program called Lindora at a center) because it was years ago. I couldn't even think straight, my brain wasn't functioning well, etc.....but I know the Lindora one was 12 weeks because I paid for the 12 week program. I went off of it ASAP and my short term memory was back and I started having far more energy.

Hard boiled eggs

Apple slices dipped in nut butter

Salmon or tuna salad

Cottage cheese with a little jam

Oatmeal - not instant! with sliced almonds and raisins or chopped apples

I can't do low carb either, but good protein throughout the day helps a lot.

Edited by lovelearnandlive
  • Like 2

Dawn - those stats are based on the degree of insulin resistance in the population compared to the normal range of appropriate metabolism. Upwards of 70-80% of the population is somewhat to very insulin resistant and would respond favorably to a decrease in that stimulation. Some population groups, like Alaska natives, are in the 95% range and some other groups, like Vietnamese, are much lower. It just depends.

There has been excellent population based glucose tolerance studies done that I believe Phinney and Volek have on hand in their low carb living book. Lots of great studies in the low carb performance one too, but those are more based on athlete subgroups and not entire populations. Taubes also covers this in much detail in Why We Get Fat, which I recommend for further reading to anyone interested.

Nutrition and metabolism is something I avidly study - so let me know if literature recs are of interest :)

We joked in college that you could go without food or sleep but not without both. I've lost weight in the past by telling myself I could have an afternoon snack but only after taking a 20 minute quiet time. Often I wasn't hungry after the quiet time and felt better than I would have felt had I eaten. 

(Gotta get back into that afternoon quiet time...)

Emily

• Like 3

I'm a vegan and def not low carb and lost weight eating essentially the Forks Over Knives way.

I'm more in maintenance and toning now, plus constantly adjusting to stay in a good zone while I go through menopause.

Carbs are good. Protein is good and bit of healthy fats is good. :)

• Like 1

For me it's definitely about getting enough protein each meal and at least the minimum each day.  

So make that oatmeal with milk rather than water plus scramble an egg. That can be about a 400 calorie meal. That's got fat in it too, which is a huge for not being hungry.

20 grams or so a meal to get 60-65 a day is my goal.

Not hungry. Not lying. :P

I'm a vegan and def not low carb and lost weight eating essentially the Forks Over Knives way.

I'm more in maintenance and toning now, plus constantly adjusting to stay in a good zone while I go through menopause.

Carbs are good. Protein is good and bit of healthy fats is good. :)

I know several who lost weight with the Eat to Live program.  He isn't 100% vegetarian or vegan.  I also know many who followed the China Study and even Dr. McDougall's book, and he allows rice.

I have lost weight significantly twice.  

Once was following the Prism Weight Loss program, which no longer exists but was in churches for a long time.  The premise is to eat 1200 calories or fewer, eat only 1 cup of grains, preferably high fiber grains (slow cooked oats, quinoa, brown rice), no flour, no sugar, no refined foods, no diet bars.   Make sure and eat 2 fruits per day to stave off cravings (this was essential for me as without those fruits I had the cravings.)  

The other time I lost weight, I did a commercial program, Jenny Craig.  It was terribly expensive, but I was single, was working full time, etc....and I was HUNGRY on it because it was a lot of refined carbs.  I was also exercising quite a bit back then.  But I lost the weight.  And back then I could handle being hungry and actually liked that "empty" feeling.  I no longer can handle it.

I also went Vegan for a while, 6 months.  I followed Alyssa Cohen's plan and felt fantastic, better than I have ever felt.  But I didn't lose weight.  I blame this on eating way too many nuts (her recipes call for nut crusts for example.)  I should have tweaked it better, but I didn't.  I was enjoying all the high calorie foods, in too high quantities.

I am now trying to come up with a plan, something EASY, since I am working full time for the first time in 10 years.  I am pouring over YouTube meal prep videos and thinking of doing an InstantPot large meal and portioning it out to take to work each day.  Maybe a quinoa and vegetable meal with some kind of low calorie, no sugar sauce, etc....

I find that fibre keeps me full.  Lots and lots of veg, mostly leafy.  A supper of a palm sized piece of lean protein and the rest of the plate full of steamed and roast veg.

What do you do if high fiber causes digestive issues?  that is what I am dealing with.  I LOVE the idea of riced cauliflower and made it last night (thank you Trader Joe's for having it in the frozen section!)

But then I dealt with gas and bloating, which can be ok in the privacy of my own home, but.........

• Like 1

What do you do if high fiber causes digestive issues? that is what I am dealing with. I LOVE the idea of riced cauliflower and made it last night (thank you Trader Joe's for having it in the frozen section!)

But then I dealt with gas and bloating, which can be ok in the privacy of my own home, but.........

This doesn't work for everyone, but we have found that out bodies have adjusted. We now veggie eat about half our evening meals, most breakfasts and lots of lunches. Our guts now seem fine.

• Like 3

This doesn't work for everyone, but we have found that out bodies have adjusted. We now veggie eat about half our evening meals, most breakfasts and lots of lunches. Our guts now seem fine.

Well, I would need to ease in SLOWLY since my work partners may not be patient!   :laugh:

• Like 2

I'm pretty severely hypothyroid but low carb hasn't exacerbated that. Losing weight does down regulate thyroid function a bit but honestly it doesn't change my dosage or how I feel overall. That said, I don't have autoimmune thyroid issues, I have hypothyroid secondary to other hormonal issues which may make a difference. But plenty of us hypo gals still do very well on low carb, and very low carb. It just depends and takes individual testing.

Be aware large weight loss will worsen it a bit, but that's irrespective of the plan chosen.

Yes, I probably should have recommended caution rather than just saying don't go there.  I have heard of people with thyroid issues who do well on LC, but I've also heard so many stories of people with thyroid issues that don't do well on LC that I think caution is advised.  

Also, men, children, and post-menopausal women seem to generally have good results with keto, but for women in their childbearing years, it seems to have more mixed results.  For me, for ten years, it really helped improve my hormone balance and reduce the awfulness of my periods.  But then when I hit perimenopause it was a disaster.  It really exacerbated the hormone problems, and it took me more than a year to figure that out, because it never occurred to me that the diet that had been so good for me for so long could be hurting me now.  A friend pointed me to some online info written by women who did not do well on keto, and it sounded just like the problems I'd been having.  It seems that there's some women who do much better in the 100-150g of carbs per day range than in a ketogenic range.

I LOVE the ketogenic diet and would recommended it enthusiastically for those who do well on it.  I really miss it!  It controlled my appetite so well, and I am really struggling with that now.  It controlled my weight so well, and I am really struggling with that now, too!   :cursing:  It also kept my immune system much stronger than it is without (on keto, a cold would be a real nuisance for three days.  off keto, a cold knocks me on my butt for more than a week, and then I get a secondary sinus infection which requires antibiotics, and then I get digestive issues and I end up being sick for a month. . . it's a mess!)  I am really hoping that I'll be able to go back on keto once I'm through menopause, but my doc said that will take 10-15 years!   :crying:

I am trying moderate carb, moderate protein, and don't skip the fat! For breakfast old-fashioned oatmeal, banana, and whole milk usually. Try to use sprouted bread when I eat it which I try to limit. Hard boiled eggs or premier protein drink or bar as snack. More veggies. Whole milk yogurt with reduced sugar preserves from trader joe's. Got rid of most artificial sweeteners except for premier protein drink or bar. Got rid of diet pepsi. Protein every meal. Occasional lean cuisine for portion control. Got rid of sweets/sugar most of the time but allow for occasional treat. I do have to be careful with the sweets though since it definitely triggers cravings for me. Weigh everyday and use loseit app to track food. Increased exercise. Down 18 pounds so far.

• Like 2

Greta - I had to spend two years off keto to deal with my health issues (adrenal, autoimmune, allergies) and it was terrible. I'm extremely grateful I got things under control enough that I could resume my preferred diet! I have to go off it when nursing too and am not looking forward to trying to control my appetite again, but I can usually get away with moderate-ish 50 grams of carbs and have good milk production, so not whole hog carb consumption by any means. But very low gives me the best energy and control full stop.

My post menopausal mom does great on it too after years of swearing she struggled with low carb, but for her it was adaptation and finding a few key substitute recipes. I think after the change her hormones were more amenable to both that and fasting than they were when she was younger. You're bang on that reproducing women tend to have the most issues, and there is no way to tell without experimentation whether it suits you or not, or only suits you at some points. It is SO individual.

I think I'm one of the few healthy post-40 women I know. Hormones are fine. Thyroid is good. Vit D is adequate. Iron can dip if I'm not careful. Still, right at 42-43 I noticed that my appetite dropped a bit and I'm beginning to add a bit to my midsection. Okaaaaay . . . I need to address this. I'm a bellydancer! I don't wanna invest in all new costumes. I'm still pulling it off, but if I don't DO something it'll start to matter.

I'm already a breakfast skipper and my appetite is lower when my activity level drops. I'm considering adding multiple cups of green tea to my day to see if that does anything. I've moved our main meal to midday. Am I gonna have to buy a scale to stay ahead of this? I don't want to know the number! I just want to not be distracted by my stomach in the dance studio. I might have to switch my evening snack from lucky charms to hummus and carrots?

Greta - I had to spend two years off keto to deal with my health issues (adrenal, autoimmune, allergies) and it was terrible. I'm extremely grateful I got things under control enough that I could resume my preferred diet! I have to go off it when nursing too and am not looking forward to trying to control my appetite again, but I can usually get away with moderate-ish 50 grams of carbs and have good milk production, so not whole hog carb consumption by any means. But very low gives me the best energy and control full stop.

My post menopausal mom does great on it too after years of swearing she struggled with low carb, but for her it was adaptation and finding a few key substitute recipes. I think after the change her hormones were more amenable to both that and fasting than they were when she was younger. You're bang on that reproducing women tend to have the most issues, and there is no way to tell without experimentation whether it suits you or not, or only suits you at some points. It is SO individual.

Thank you so much for this encouragement, Taryl!  I really hope I'll be able to get back on it soon, or at least someday if not soon.  Our needs definitely seem to change with time and circumstances.  So maybe mine will change back.   :001_smile:

I think I'm one of the few healthy post-40 women I know. Hormones are fine. Thyroid is good. Vit D is adequate. Iron can dip if I'm not careful. Still, right at 42-43 I noticed that my appetite dropped a bit and I'm beginning to add a bit to my midsection. Okaaaaay . . . I need to address this. I'm a bellydancer! I don't wanna invest in all new costumes. I'm still pulling it off, but if I don't DO something it'll start to matter.

I'm already a breakfast skipper and my appetite is lower when my activity level drops. I'm considering adding multiple cups of green tea to my day to see if that does anything. I've moved our main meal to midday. Am I gonna have to buy a scale to stay ahead of this? I don't want to know the number! I just want to not be distracted by my stomach in the dance studio. I might have to switch my evening snack from lucky charms to hummus and carrots?

Around the early 40s is when I noticed a change. I too am obnoxiously healthy (though I need thyroid surgery, my thyroid hormones are all good). 

I blame perimenopausal hormonal changes & associated metabolism changes. It's around then that we went from vegetarian to full vegan & I started serious calorie counting. It worked for me. I wouldn't say it's fun or easy. It is what it is. 

Hummus it too high fat/high cal for me to have regularly btw.... 

It really does depend,and may vary based on why appetite is off. There are multiple hormones involved as well as physical differences. A large stomach will require more food to feel full. That deals with grehlin as well. But there are other hormones produced by the intestines, etc, so depending on where the problem is, different food may work better. 

I could eat greens and fruit all day long, without stopping,and never really be full.I used to eat, before surgery, an entire bag of frozen veggies in a sitting, and still be hungry 20 minutes later. Less so if I put fat on them, but still there. So someone advocating a vegan diet to me, (and I did eat one for 2 years) is also dooming me to constant hunger or constant eating. If it's low fat, forget it, Ill never be satisfied. With fat, okay yes, but still goes through me fast. 

Post op, I find dense protein fills me up. carbs slip right through. Veggies, it depends. Lettuce/greens go right through, no filling me up. Cucumbers do to some extent, broccoli as well. Simple carbs, if not paired with fat and protein and sometimes even if they are, leave me hungry still. 

But when we try to stay it is all about insulin, or all about fiber, we are oversimplifying. 

Coffee is my preferred diet food. ;)

Same here. I have to stay under 1300 calories and not a carb in sight. At that calorie count, even with a fair amount of protein it still takes walking several miles per week plus some aerobics in order to lose even a half lb per week. With that kind of exercise, that means being very hungry for several weeks. Now after months and months and months of it, I managed all of 15 lbs loss and have no appetite. Zero. I have lost all interest in food and have to remind myself to eat. I have no energy but force myself to continue the exercise and regular daily routine.

It is exhausting and depressing and I get treated like total crap by the medical profession so I am over trying to get to the bottom of the problem. My goal now is to have no more medical care except for emergencies.

And yes I have tried the whole consume more because you are starving yourself crap. Nope. Add even 100 calories to my diet and I gain weight. So depressing deprivation is my only option for well, ever.

I hope no one else has this issue. It is a depressing way to live.