Menu

Netflix vs Amazon Prime

mamiof5

We aren't happy with Netflix, selection is not the greatest and price just increased. Dh asked me to check Amazon prime and I was chuckling, since when I think of "prime" it's 2 day shipping 😂.

But, he said you can also stream shows and movies through Amazon??

Does anyone use this service? How does it work? Is it a flat fee or you pay per movie? Is it the same "prime" as the fast shipping or is it a different service? Do they have a good selection??

He asked me to look into it and I just gave him my puzzled look 😵. If he wants me to pay for faster shipping? Fine... I I'll make the sacrifice 😅😅.

Is anyone familiar with their streaming service? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Yes, as others have said, Prime membership covers both faster shipping and access to videos (among other things).  Many movies/TV shows are free.  Others you pay for but often it is at a reduced rate.  You can access the movies/TV shows on multiple devices and it will remember where you were, regardless of which device you log in on.

• Like 1

We have both because there are different shows we want, on each service. However, we don't have cable or satellite, so streaming is our main method of watching tv. 

I think it depends on what you're looking for. Movies? Probably Amazon. Tv shows? They seem even on that front, though Amazon has more recent shows. Original programming? I like Netflix better but I've heard Amazon has some good original shows. Sorry, I don't seem to be helpful.

• Like 6

We haven't found Amazon streaming to be anywhere good enough to give up Netflix. But, we don't have cable so our only choices to watch stuff is Netflix or Amazon. Maybe if we also had a cable subscription it would be sufficient? I don't know..I'm still not convinced. Streaming isn't really a focus on Amazon, more of an added revenue stream for them. I find Netflix delivers a better user experience.

• Like 4

I've looked into the Amazon Prime videos and I wasn't impressed.   We almost exclusively watch TV shows and except for their original programming, they have absolutely nothing we are interested in.   We are mid-transition from two DVR/DirectTV to using a HTPC I built as a PVR and cord-cutting.   Actually we are probably 90% there.   

We have the DVD add-on to Netflix and we also get TV show DVD's from the library.   I have some DVD burning software, so when they come in, we burn the DVD, return the DVD, then delete the recording when we've watched it.   But, the DVD add-in to Netflix really fills the gaps of streaming services.  

Another thing people sometimes do is to just buy the shows they want from Amazon particularly when Amazon prime doesn't offer it.   So, say the only thing that is keeping someone from being a cord-cutter is 3 TV shows that they can't get from other streaming services.   Say you can buy the season of a TV show for $20-$30 each for the season, or $2/episode.   That is $60 - $80/year.   So, you can cut the cord, and give yourself a generous budget in purchased TV shows and still spend a lot less money.  

• Like 4

Another thing people sometimes do is to just buy the shows they want from Amazon particularly when Amazon prime doesn't offer it.   So, say the only thing that is keeping someone from being a cord-cutter is 3 TV shows that they can't get from other streaming services.   Say you can buy the season of a TV show for $20-$30 each for the season, or $2/episode.   That is $60 - $80/year.   So, you can cut the cord, and give yourself a generous budget in purchased TV shows and still spend a lot less money.  

This is what we do. Currently the only show we buy is The Walking Dead, but over the years we also bought Burn Notice, Mythbusters, and Doctor Who. Buying a season of show or two or three while also being Netflix and Prime members* was still cheaper than what we used to pay for Directv.

*We were Prime members for the original shipping service long before they started streaming, so it was just a bonus for us. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

We use both (we've been members of both for forever) I think the steaming choices on amazon are mostly weaker than on Netflix and netflix ' s original series are so much better.

I use the free prime music on my phone a lot more than the streaming I think.

There's a lot more to prime than just free shipping these days. (Though we originally subscribed just for the shipping)

• Like 4

We have both, but are seriously considering dropping Netflix.  We do use the DVD part of Netflix, but never find anything on the streaming!!!  After going through Netflix as a family this weekend multiple times and never finding anything to watch, pretty sure I will drop it soon.  Amazon is okay.  We have liked some of their shows.  They do get new movies streaming we like.  My issue with Amazon is I felt like the selection was small and we end up renting something for a price more than we do Prime stuff.  

I wish I could find another option ....

• Like 1

We have both. I find lots of tvs how's on Amazon, while DH is happy with Netflix.

I find Amazon harder to search on my smart tvs, but easy with the roku .

Usually I search online on my computer or tablet, and add to my watch list that way.

You can start and stop Amazon Prime if you find you don't like it.

Currently we have signed up,for Acorn TV for 30 days. We love many BBC. Shows.

• Like 2

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime AND Hulu.  There are different shows on each that we like.  That said, we had not considered the "buy a whole season of a show" option...that is interesting.  We never, ever pay for a show, though, as a matter of principle, except when we have a family movie night and even then, my son will go to RedBox to get something rather than us pay the above vendors another dime.  We're an odd set, I guess. 

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu as well.  I don't find as much as Amazon as I do at Netflix, but we do use all three.  Amazon  has some stuff on their "prime" service that is free to stream, and some that you  have to buy.  We don't usually buy TV shows/series (I've bought a few kids shows because I know my kids will watch them over and over).  I've bought/rented a few movies.  

• Like 2

It drives me crazy how often the first season of a series or the couple episodes will be free to stream with prime, and the rest you have to pay for.  I understand, the company it trying to make $ so they want to get you hooked, but I never watch those on principle. I find it annoying.

• Like 4

It drives me crazy how often the first season of a series or the couple episodes will be free to stream with prime, and the rest you have to pay for.  I understand, the company it trying to make $ so they want to get you hooked, but I never watch those on principle. I find it annoying.

We refuse to buy follow-on seasons.  It's amazing how easy it becomes to drop a show once you have done it a few times.  Then a couple of years later, all the additional seasons show up for free and it's like, "Meh.  They already lost me."

It was confusing for awhile though because at our beach house, we had a different service provider and we got additional seasons beyond what we could get at home.  So we would watch ahead and then be all confused when we dropped back into our earlier seasons.  

LOL

Another idea, if most of the TV shows you like are available to you on the channels website but it is a problem to you that only that last few episodes are there at any given time, you might look into the PlayLater upgrade to the PlayOn software.   So, for example, Big Bang Theory when the season was active.  Within the PlayOn software you go to the CBS channel and navigate the folders until you find the Big Bang Theory folder.   Then you say "Subscribe".   The software watches for any new episodes and automatically records them for you.   I also got the AdSkip upgrade, so when the video plays back it automatically skips all the ads, which brings me GREAT joy.    I will also use that to record shows from Netflix and Hulu that are about ready to be removed

So far, we are most bothered by no free access to the SyFy and BBC channels.   I guess we are geeks.  

I've been investigating new streaming services.   There seem to be several new interesting looking ones that are only in test markets right now.  Like there was one that was $20/month and it gives you access to the standard cable channels, only streaming from the channels website.   So, when you go to Syfy.com, you login in with your user info from that service and then you can stream their stuff.  

• Like 2

I've looked into the Amazon Prime videos and I wasn't impressed.   We almost exclusively watch TV shows and except for their original programming, they have absolutely nothing we are interested in.   We are mid-transition from two DVR/DirectTV to using a HTPC I built as a PVR and cord-cutting.   Actually we are probably 90% there.   

We have the DVD add-on to Netflix and we also get TV show DVD's from the library.   I have some DVD burning software, so when they come in, we burn the DVD, return the DVD, then delete the recording when we've watched it.   But, the DVD add-in to Netflix really fills the gaps of streaming services.  

:iagree:

We were spending $85 a month on DirecTV.  We already had Netflix for DVD and Amazon for just the shipping.  So cutting DirecTV just to buy a couple of programs was way cheaper.

• Like 2

We do only streaming (have for over 10 years) and we use a mix. I'm the primary one who watches TV, so here's how it works in our house. We're not big movie watchers, and have tons of movie dvds, so we rarely use the services below for movies. Most recently, we'll just grab a Redbox of a new release if we really want to see it.

1) Hulu---just upgraded to no commercials ($11.99/mo), which is a big improvement. Great selection of current shows and some past shows. I use this primarily to keep up with the current seasons of shows I watch. There's at least a 24 hour delay on them, sometimes more, from when they are broadcast. They don't always have previous seasons of shows, which is irritating if I find something interesting that's been on a while. They have a Showtime add-on if you want to pay extra, but I haven't bothered with that. Hulu is limited to one screen at a time, which can be an issue, and not all of the content can be watched on all devices. I'm usually watching on my laptop, so that hasn't been much of an issue unless there's something we all want to watch together.

2) CBS.com (free for some things)---I like a number of shows on CBS and they have stopped showing CBS shows on Hulu :(. They typically have the most recent 5 or so episodes available free, so you have to start from the beginning of the season to keep up unless you want to pay for All Access (which I don't).

3) Netflix ($7.99 for 2 screens plus HD---what's it going up to?)--best for previous seasons of shows, since they don't have new things other than their own content. In general, I like several of their original shows. I'll use this to go back and watch previous seasons of a current show in order to catch up then follow new episodes on Hulu or CBS.com, as well as just watch older shows.

4) Amazon Prime ($99 for year)--We got this last year to try it out. I don't watch shows on this because I find the ones that are free with Prime to be very limited (quite disappointing, honestly). Now they do have a ton of add-ons to let you customize (and pay more).

5) Acorn TV ($5 a month)-- has British, Irish, Australian, Canadian, etc shows (and discounts on their merchandise from the Acorn catalogue). Available as one of the Prime add-ons, but we do it freestanding.

My husband loves to scour the local thrift stores for dvds and seems to have good luck, so we have tons of dvds at home (that we rarely watch because we are watching streaming.....another issue ;) ). 

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 3

I have both. Amazon seems to put recent movies on Prime quicker than they come to Netflix streaming (I don't have the DVD Netflix). Some shows and movies are on Prime and are free, some you pay for as normal. 

Prime also has free music, which you can download to some devices. I use that more than the free movies. 

I find they fit different needs. I have Prime for the two-day shipping (which I get 99%) of the time. I like some Netflix only shows like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Peaky Blinders. 

Prime streaming went up to 9.99 this month for me. 

• Like 1

We have Netflix, Prime Amazon, and Hulu. We pay 13 dollars for Netflix and 12 dollars for Hulu. Prime Amazon is fifty dollars a year for students. I like things about all of them. I was able to see Downton Abbey and Mercy Street and Crimson Fields. Hulu has Real Housewives and some crime shows I like to watch. I have pretty much given up on RH though. Netflix has a good assortment of everything I think. I also love OITNB, although I did find the most recent season disappointing. :(

• Like 2

We have DirecTV so that is where we watch most of our TV. We have Amazon Prime, but like someone else said, we generally use it as a pay-per-view. Hardly anything I ever want to watch is actually included with our Prime membership. I would not pay for Prime just for their streaming service.

We don't have any cable.  What we do have is a Roku from which we access:

• Netflix (streaming only) which just went up to $9.99/mo.
  • Amazon Prime, $99/yr. (Purchased initially just for the shipping because we order A LOT from  them. The video & music streaming is a bonus)
  • Hulu, 7.99/mo

There is some overlap of shows and movies, but enough of a difference to make it hard to choose just one.

Between these three, we can usually find something to watch.  Occasionally, we purchase a rental from Amazon, but not very often. If I really want to watch something that's not on any of the above, I look on YouTube and can usually find something.  Actually, I watch quite a bit on YT for free. However, my favorite shows are Alone, Grimm, and Heartland.  I can watch episodes of Alone and Grimm on the network websites a few days to a week after the original air dates.  I have to wait quite a bit longer for Heartland as it is Canadian, but watch it on YT when it becomes available.

• Like 2

I'll add that I subscribed through Amazon Prime to Starz for $8.00/month so I could watch Outlander. I plan to cancel Starz once I catch up with all the episodes. Then when it comes back on I'll subscribe again. This is such a huge benefit over cable TV with no contracts or massive monthly fees. I barely watch TV but we have a Roku on all of our TV's and it is so much cheaper. My kids watch it more than I do and they love it. 

Edited by Michelle My Bell
  • Like 1

I'll add that I subscribed through Amazon Prime to Starz for $8.00/month so I could watch Outlander. I plan to cancel Starz once I catch up with all the episodes. Then when it comes back on I'll subscribe again. This is such a huge benefit over cable TV with no contracts or massive monthly fees. I barely watch TV but we have a Roku on all of our TV's and it is so much cheaper. My kids watch it more than I do and they love it. 

I did the free week on STARZ add-on just so I could finish watching Davinci's Demons.  :coolgleamA: They put the whole season on at one time and I binged. 

We watch more tv shows than movies, so I'm sure that affects our choice. However, we have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus AND AcornTV. With all four of those (and we have Prime for reasons other than just streaming), we're still paying less than what we'd pay for the most basic cable or satellite here. And we never run out of things to watch. We also have a digital antenna for local channels but we rarely watch live tv.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone!!! I had no idea there were so many options! Even if Netflix raised price, I'm hesitant of cancelling. I don't watch a whole lot of anything, but kids do, and there are quite a few programs that they like. We'll find out more about Hulu, and maybe have dh try prime (the free trial). He's the one not finding movies to watch :P

We aren't happy with Netflix, selection is not the greatest and price just increased. Dh asked me to check Amazon prime and I was chuckling, since when I think of "prime" it's 2 day shipping 😂.

But, he said you can also stream shows and movies through Amazon??

Movies, TV shows, Documentaries

Does anyone use this service? How does it work? Is it a flat fee or you pay per movie? Is it the same "prime" as the fast shipping or is it a different service? Do they have a good selection??

We have it, I'm probably the only one who uses it for Prime shows, the kids watch stuff that we buy from Amazon. It's included in the regular Prime fee (there's a music app/service included too.) Not a very good selection IMO but it's worth it since we pay for Prime. There are some Documentaries that you can't find on Netflix that are good.

He asked me to look into it and I just gave him my puzzled look 😵. If he wants me to pay for faster shipping? Fine... I I'll make the sacrifice 😅😅.

Is anyone familiar with their streaming service? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

You can do add ons like Acorn, Starz, etc...  for extra $$.  We have, in the past, done a combo of Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Acorn as well as a not quite legal streaming site I won't name publicly, which seemed to be just the right amount of options for us. We ended up getting cable again this year (so we could get the 300mg internet speed) but once our "contract" runs out it will get cancelled since I'm the only one who watches it.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

Yes, as others have said, Prime membership covers both faster shipping and access to videos (among other things).  Many movies/TV shows are free.  Others you pay for but often it is at a reduced rate.  You can access the movies/TV shows on multiple devices and it will remember where you were, regardless of which device you log in on.

I have a question. For one of my groups I like to preview an educational show but it says $2.99 per episode. I do have Prime. I haven't seen a big selection that is free. Am I looking at the right stuff?

One major bonus of Amazon Prime is that with a lot of movies or shows, you're able to download them for offline viewing. It's great for car or plane trips, etc. As far as I know, you can't download anything on Netflix.

I do, using the PlayLater software.   It streams it in the wee hours and records in live time.  

• Like 1

I have a question. For one of my groups I like to preview an educational show but it says $2.99 per episode. I do have Prime. I haven't seen a big selection that is free. Am I looking at the right stuff?

When you go to the menu there should be a way to look at Prime offerings that are free.

It is sort of hit or miss as to what is free.  We have been lucky in that much of what we have wanted to watch has been free.  Also, the content is downloadable to another source so we can watch off-line, which has been very helpful.

We have noticed that the content that is free changes, by the way.  We might have free access to something for an extended period of time and then it switches to something we have to pay for.  Usually it is a reasonable amount but honestly sometimes it is cheaper finding a DVD copy on sale somewhere.  At other times something that costs money is suddenly offered for free,which is always nice.  In other words, the selections that are free or they charge money to watch may change.  They do allow you to put programs on a "watch" list so if there is something you have interest in but don't want to pay for you put it on the list and they will notify you if it switches to free content.  That way you don't have to constantly be checking.

I thought I would point out another feature.   If you find a series, say, that you think you might like and are willing to pay for but you aren't sure you can just buy one episode and try it out.  There is a discount for buying an entire season of something, though.  If  you decide you really like the show and want to go ahead and purchase the entire season they will still give you the discount, even if you already purchased one episode at full price.  They will adjust the cost.

• Like 2

We actually watch shows on Amazon prime and Netflix. Between those two and vidangel, we don't really need our dish and are getting rid of it next month.

There are some cute shows on Amazon that are not on Netflix, and vise versa. I like the documentaries.

We are not much of a TV family though. My boys wil watch cartoons here and there, my girls have a couple shows they like to watch, but honestly, we don't do much tv because so much of it is not worth watching. We do love family movie night with vidangel though.

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 2

We actually watch shows on Amazon prime and Netflix. Between those two and vidangel, we don't really need our dish and are getting rid of it next month.

We canceled Dish five years ago and haven't regretted it for a minute. We get one DVD at a time and streaming from NetFlix. We also have an antenna that picks up local stations.

A few months ago we bought a new smart TV, and found several other stations that play older TV shows: CoziTV, MeTV, and a couple of others I cannot remember at the moment. :-)

• Like 2

SO MANY OPTIONS! Thanks for sharing though, because I honestly don't know (or care) about any of this. I just don't watch TV, so Netflix is more than enough for me. But it's funny, after our knife thread dh asked me to "check" on Amazon prime...not sure if he meant here, but where else would I ask? 😂

My thing is that he has cable (we finally caved in about a year ago), and also Netflix. I don't think I want to cancel Netflix, but he's bored with it. But pay for services?? I think it's too much. And I don't think we have any devices in which we can record and watch later? Not 100% sure...but our TV is old, have never seen dh recording anything. I'd think between cable and Netflix it would be enough. I can also ask him if he'd like to add the 1 DVD to Netflix? Maybe that'll give him more options?

I'm torn. Because he does like documentaries. He also loves movies. So prime could help. And the 2 day shipping would be a nice bonus 😂

One major bonus of Amazon Prime is that with a lot of movies or shows, you're able to download them for offline viewing. It's great for car or plane trips, etc. As far as I know, you can't download anything on Netflix.

Is that just with a kindle fire?  I have a kindle fire and have done that twice, but I didn't know I could do it on, say, my laptop.

We have both, but are seriously considering dropping Netflix.  We do use the DVD part of Netflix, but never find anything on the streaming!!!  After going through Netflix as a family this weekend multiple times and never finding anything to watch, pretty sure I will drop it soon.  ...

I wish I could find another option ....

Thanks everyone!!! I had no idea there were so many options! Even if Netflix raised price, I'm hesitant of cancelling. I don't watch a whole lot of anything, but kids do, and there are quite a few programs that they like. We'll find out more about Hulu, and maybe have dh try prime (the free trial). He's the one not finding movies to watch :p

.. I don't think I want to cancel Netflix, but he's bored with it. But pay for services?? I think it's too much. And I don't think we have any devices in which we can record and watch later? Not 100% sure...but our TV is old, have never seen dh recording any...

I'm torn. Because he does like documentaries. He also loves movies. So prime could help. And the 2 day shipping would be a nice bonus 😂

Does your dh have his own Netflix queue?  It makes a huge difference when you can separate out different viewers, and get recommendations based on their history.  Once I had banished dh from telling netflix *I* was viewing when he should have told them *he* was viewing, and purged his views from my history, Netflix started offering up all kinds of things of interest to me, instead of mainly things of interest to dh.  

Having his own queue and his own profile/history could help him to get more out of Netflix.  If you're mixing up family viewing with dad's viewing, your dh isn't going to get much offered that he likes.  

• Like 2

Amazon streaming has some content marked Prime which is free for Prime members and you can play for other movies and programs ala carte. There's a lot of older cable content on there (i.e. Six Feet Under, Oz) and a lot of movies plus their original programming.

Hulu Plus is best for watching the current season of many TV shows, older classic movies etc. We switch back and forth between Hulu and Netflix and Amazon Prime is a fall back fringe benefit. I don't know that I would sign up for Prime only for the videos or not.

• Like 2

Does your dh have his own Netflix queue? It makes a huge difference when you can separate out different viewers, and get recommendations based on their history. Once I had banished dh from telling netflix *I* was viewing when he should have told them *he* was viewing, and purged his views from my history, Netflix started offering up all kinds of things of interest to me, instead of mainly things of interest to dh.

Having his own queue and his own profile/history could help him to get more out of Netflix. If you're mixing up family viewing with dad's viewing, your dh isn't going to get much offered that he likes.

Thanks!! Yeah, he has his own user name/queue. He really enjoys movies and has watched so many of them on Netflix! And documentaries too. And TV shows as well. Not sure how you can run out of stuff to watch, but I guess you can 😉

Amazon streaming has some content marked Prime which is free for Prime members and you can play for other movies and programs ala carte. There's a lot of older cable content on there (i.e. Six Feet Under, Oz) and a lot of movies plus their original programming.

Hulu Plus is best for watching the current season of many TV shows, older classic movies etc. We switch back and forth between Hulu and Netflix and Amazon Prime is a fall back fringe benefit. I don't know that I would sign up for Prime only for the videos or not.

Yup! Totally my point. Not sure I want prime just for that. And the 2 day shipping is just not a need for me

Yup! Totally my point. Not sure I want prime just for that. And the 2 day shipping is just not a need for me

There are other benefits to factor in if your husband is interested in the content.

Prime includes a large number of ebooks (like a library, no extra cost) and music. Also, we get 5% credited back for every purchase because we have one of their cards. I don't use it like a credit account- pay on Amazon with their card and then log on and make a payment in the same amount. It adds up if you use Amazon a lot. And depending on where you are, Prime Now is handy (same day delivery of certain items). But if none of that interests you, then carefully check the digital content to see if you are interested.