Menu

Let's talk kitchen knives

mamiof5

I love this brand. it's a good value for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Straight-Chefs-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2

I do put it in the dishwasher - probably not supposed to. And then if it seems like it needs sharpening I use this. https://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1467926834&sr=1-5&keywords=knife+sharpener

I've had a couple of these for a few years and they are the ones I pull out most often. 

• Like 1

My son is a chef so we all have gotten infected with his passion for knives. After using his Wustoffs, we bought our own. Love them! We have the classic style. Got ours from Amazon for about $200--a set. Knife block and several pieces.

He has started replacing his Wustoffs with Shun.

If you can only get one or two, go with a chef's knife and a good paring knife.

And Never put them in the dishwasher!!!! 

Edited by Happy
  • Like 4

Don't put knives in the dishwasher for the best life. We absolutely love our Cold Steel set - cuts as nicely as my Wusthofs but for a much lower price. If I didn't have those I'd buy Cutco.

I've loved my Wusthof, but I do not put them in the dishwasher. You want some that you

Can sharpen to keep them in peak performance. I'd love to have Cutco, but way too $$$ for me.

Do you have one knife or a set? Do you mind sharing which one? Just looked at both brands...yikes!!! Some sets for thousands of dollars?? The brand you have has a variety of prices. I was hoping to find a decent quality set for less than $200...not sure that's realistic :(

I managed to get almost a whole set of new knives from the grocery store by collecting points on my groceries.  They are Jamie Oliver knives.  Not totally top of the line, but I've been really happy with them, they are comfortable to use and hold a nice edge. 

• Like 1

My Cutco knives have made my life so much better!!! I got them second hand from a friend 15 years ago, and they are still going strong. I know they are pricey (as I've added to the collection a bit over the years), but I think they are worth it. I've had knives that got damaged in some way replaced for free. I â¤ï¸ Cutco.

• Like 7

The Cutco lady came to my house and asked to see my knives. Her face fell when she saw our set. I felt so sorry for her I bought a cheese knife and a set of steak knives. And you know, those are good knives!! The steak knives are better than the Wusthoff steak knives we had. So I'm a believer for what these are. But my knives are better. :0)

Seriously, no dishwasher. It takes two seconds to hand wash a knife after you use it.

And always run it over the steel before you use it.

wusthof.  :001_wub:

henckels twin (there are two lines.  not international).

for affordable - Chicago cutlery had good knifes (our set is over 30 years old). NEVER put them in a dishwasher or allow to soak in water.  NEVER put them loose in a drawer.  knife holder of whatever your preference.

also a good knife sharpener - dh likes chef's choice edge select #120.

• Like 3

We don't have good kitchen knives, at all. With kids so interested in learning how to cook I'd like to get better knives. Could you please share if you have any that you love??

Bonus points if they are affordable😉

If you are looking on a budget don't get a set. Just get what you need. I find the basics for me are an all purpose knife like a santoku or chef's knife, a little paring knife, a bread knife, and two steak knives for me and DH. These are the core of my set and you could get those from almost any decent company, including Cold Steel or Cutco, for a reasonable price.

Then I'd be adding things like additional steak knives, kitchen shears, and task knives as my budget allowed. But most people don't need more than 6-8 knives and a steak set. And honestly we don't even need a steak set right now because our kids don't cut their own meat that cannot be easily cut with a butter knife. So that's not an essential unless you entertain a lot with older guests :) Things like a filleting knife and meat cleaver are helpful but most folks don't make regular use of them unless they're breaking down game. Cheese knives, too, are nice but not essential. Build you own set for the best value for YOU.

And for what it's worth this is the Cold Steel set I have and adore, and it is within your budget. These knives are phenomenal and easily comparable to my knives of much higher cost. When we compared them side by side with Cutco the comfort, performance, and non slip was nearly identical. Their tactical knives are excellent for purses and cars too ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-59KSET-Kitchen-Classics/dp/B0006YZ1J0

I don't know about some of these reviews but mine have lasted a decade with daily use and not degraded, rusted, or pitted. I sharpen the chef's knife every few months because I use it for multiple meals a day but that's about it. Excellent set.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Are there such things as good knives that can go through the dishwasher? That would be the perfect knife for me. :)

No

A culinary instructor once told me that what makes a knife good is not that it can be put through the dishwasher.  And then said to someone in the class if they thought their spouse was no good since he couldn't be put through the dishwasher either.  :laugh:

• Like 5

I have very good expensive knives, but if I had to buy a set and could not spend a lot, I'd buy knives from Dexter Russell.  I have one, and I've used them working in food service.  For lower priced knives they are very good.  You should get yourself an easy to use hand sharpener.  You can also have them periodically sharpened professionally.  If I had to cut my collection down to the essentials, I'd go for a chef's knife, large offset serrated knife, a carving knife, a boning knife, and a paring knife. 

If you are really anti wanting to deal with sharpening them, you could get a ceramic set.  Those aren't expensive either.  I've never used one, but a lot of people swear by them. 

• Like 1

We have this set and love it, we do not put it in the dishwasher and dh regularly sharpens them. We used a 20% off coupon to buy them too, so they were probably under $300. I think we are on our fifth year owning them and they show no signs of wear, breaking, or needing to be replaced at this point.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/calphalon-reg-katana-series-trade-14-piece-cutlery-knife-block-set/1017326198?Keyword=Calphalon+knives

Edited by SemiSweet
  • Like 1

I have old, old Sabatier carbon steel knives that I love. My newest purchase was a Wusthof Classc wide 10" chefs knife -- wonderful, but expensive.

For dd I bought a Kyocera ceramic knife. It cut through tough rhubarb like butter. I've been using it, because I keep my really good knives hidden from ds, lol, so the Kyocera is easier to get my hands on.

The absolute best thing I did was go to a local kitchen speciality store. One week I took a knife course taught by a CIA alumnus. A few weeks later, I went to a knife weekend. Reps from all the big companies were there, with food and cutting boards, so it was easy to test out the knives. Not everyone wants a 10" chefs knife -- best to try first.

Two good websites to browse are JB Prince (the Mercer knives are actually quite good) and Fante's (have own branded knives).

Here's a link for dd's knife:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047739O6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

If you are looking on a budget don't get a set. Just get what you need. I find the basics for me are an all purpose knife like a santoku or chef's knife, a little paring knife, a bread knife, and two steak knives for me and DH. These are the core of my set and you could get those from almost any decent company, including Cold Steel or Cutco, for a reasonable price.

Then I'd be adding things like additional steak knives, kitchen shears, and task knives as my budget allowed. But most people don't need more than 6-8 knives and a steak set. And honestly we don't even need a steak set right now because our kids don't cut their own meat that cannot be easily cut with a butter knife. So that's not an essential unless you entertain a lot with older guests :) Things like a filleting knife and meat cleaver are helpful but most folks don't make regular use of them unless they're breaking down game. Cheese knives, too, are nice but not essential. Build you own set for the best value for YOU.

Yes, good advice.

I finally broke down and got a salmon slicer.

A meat cleaver was actually my first knife purchase, lol, because I was going through the first Julia Child book and decided to make stock.

• Like 1

We're sort of fanatical about our knives here, but I'm wondering how you view your kids using these?  What ages of kids?  With my dd, who is an avid cook, I started years ago with simple things like a lettuce knife, simple paring knives, etc.  Then I got a SUPER CHEAP set from Meijer, like $10 on sale for the whole set, and she used the chef's knife from it and the block.  Cooks Illustrated also reviews and will give recs on affordable knives.  Victrionix (yeah?) tends to review well and be affordable.  

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-3-25-Inch-Paring-Polypropylene/dp/B0019WXPQY

There's one.  It's just a simple knife, but it functions adequately and is affordable.  So I moved my dd through a progression of knives.  When she was old enough to keep her fingers on, she moved over to my Wushoffs with supervision.  

Eventually she got bigger hands and wanted knives that fit her better.  Wustoff fits me, but not her.  She has large hands, and I went with F. Dick knives for her.  The name is unfortunately, but they're AMAZING knives.  Big, heavy, serious.  So we just add one here or there for Christmas, that kind of thing.  If you're going to get expensive knives, adding one at a time, getting ONE that you REALLY, REALLY LOVE is a good way to go.  And it's a good way to make sure you like the *feel* of the knife before you invest.

• Like 4

Thank you very much everyone for comments and suggestions!! Definitely a lot to look into, but now we can start. We've been wanting/needing a full set for a while. We don't need steak knives, so we'll look into sets that don't come with those.

About the kids? Thank you to who suggested to start them with smaller knives. We just need to get them a good one...we have old/dull ones which is not safe either. Time for new knives 😉

Sorry for not addressing/responding to each comment. I post from my cellphone since my computer doesn't allow me to go in here. Easier to respond in one post. Thank you all!!!

I love this brand. it's a good value for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Straight-Chefs-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2

I do put it in the dishwasher - probably not supposed to. And then if it seems like it needs sharpening I use this. https://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1467926834&sr=1-5&keywords=knife+sharpener

I've had a couple of these for a few years and they are the ones I pull out most often. 

I have this exact knife and love it! I also love that it was inexpensive.

One great chef's knife that fits your hand and a serrated knife for bread and such is all most people need.

I'd rather spend $100+ on a single high quality chef's knife than the same amount on a fancy looking but comparatively cheap junky big set. Quality over quantity.

A smaller number of people may also benefit from having a cleaver and/or a filet knife. Depends on what you do in the kitchen. Most people aren't filleting fish or dealing with large cuts of bone in meat at home anymore though so these can be skipped more often than not.

I have a fairly pricey Global chef knife and one each no-name but serviceable serrated, cleaver and filet knife.

Those giant sets are overkill and truly, most people only need 2-3 knives.

I'm not counting table knives in this for when you serve steak or whatever. Those don't need to cost much.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 6

Are there such things as good knives that can go through the dishwasher? That would be the perfect knife for me. :)

no- 

because everything in the water going through the dishwasher will pit the blade.  and that's just for starters of why you do. not. put. good. knives. in. the. dishwasher.

• Like 1

For cleavers, I'd go to an Asian supermarket.  Cleavers are widely used in Chinese cooking (in order to cut things up that have bones in so that they can be eaten with chopsticks) and the ones we have are good quality and very durable.

I'm actually very happy with the knives we bought from Ikea.  They feel good in the hand and they sharpen well.

• Like 2

For cleavers, I'd go to an Asian supermarket. Cleavers are widely used in Chinese cooking (in order to cut things up that have bones in so that they can be eaten with chopsticks) and the ones we have are good quality and very durable.

I'm actually very happy with the knives we bought from Ikea. They feel good in the hand and they sharpen well.

I had some IKEA knives that I loved. They were a classic French knife shape. But Ds got a hold of them, point/tip snapped off, things like that :-( and the new ikea knives, at least in U.S., are strangely shaped, too modern for me.

I had some IKEA knives that I loved. They were a classic French knife shape. But Ds got a hold of them, point/tip snapped off, things like that :-( and the new ikea knives, at least in U.S., are strangely shaped, too modern for me.

I have a couple of the modern ones.  I like how they sit in my hand.

• Like 2

One great chef's knife that fits your hand and a serrated knife for bread and such is all most people need.

I'd rather spend $100+ on a single high quality chef's knife than the same amount on a fancy looking but comparatively cheap junky big set. Quality over quantity.

A smaller number of people may also benefit from having a cleaver and/or a filet knife. Depends on what you do in the kitchen. Most people aren't filleting fish or dealing with large cuts of bone in meat at home anymore though so these can be skipped more often than not.

I have a fairly pricey Global chef knife and one each no-name but serviceable serrated, cleaver and filet knife.

I'm not counting table knives in this for when you serve steak or whatever. Those don't need to cost much.

One accessory I got for dd is a glove that cannot be cut through. We were made to wear those on our left/non-cutting hands in a knife skills class that I took.

I so agree about the steak knives. A steak knife from the local housewares shop will cut just fine. For fancier, get something with silver or horn handles, etc. we actually do just fine with regular knives.

• Like 1

My brands are mixed, but I pretty much function with a boning knife, a bread knife, a Santoku (Asian chef) knife, and a paring knife. 

Watch some of the knife videos online, get a book, or take a class in order to learn how to use them. Your prep will be so much faster and safer.

• Like 1

My brands are mixed, but I pretty much function with a boning knife, a bread knife, a Santoku (Asian chef) knife, and a paring knife. 

Watch some of the knife videos online, get a book, or take a class in order to learn how to use them. Your prep will be so much faster and safer.

That one is my favorite of all the knives I have.

• Like 1

Wusthof Classic 2 Piece Prep Cutlery Set

I got my mother these, and they're very nice.  You could start there and add to your collection, one each Christmas.  Just use the knife block you already have and put these in instead.   :)

Wusthof Gourmet 10 Piece Cutlery Set

I haven't used these.  I just want to point them out in case you ask in your mind.  It is a lot of knives, and maybe you'd decide wow that's what I want!  They seem well received in the reviews.  What will be different is the weight, how they feel, etc.  You could go to a store and see and feel them.  I'm a Classic girl myself.  It's really just a choice.

If you go with the 2 piece starter set because you prefer the Classic, then next you might like 

Wusthof Classic Santoku Knife, 7" Hollow Edge

It's my super fav everyday knife, because we do a lot of vegetables.  

J.A. Henckels Cutlery & Knives - Macy's

Adding, my MIL likes Henkels, and they have products and quality levels very similar to the Wustoff.  If you want that type of knife and a different price, you might find a deal.  And it can be fun to *try* a few brands.  Paring knives are considered starters for a brand, because you get a feel for how their brand will fit your hand without investing a lot.  I think even Target has some branded paring knives like this you could try.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

Yep, ceramic.  You can go high end or low end and get basically the same quality in terms of the blade.  It's just the high end ones have a better balance in the hand. You still need a flexible boning knife and some kitchen shears, as well as something that can pry because these cannot take any lateral pressure without breaking.  But the cheap ones are fine and are easy to replace when your husband ignores your instruction to NOT use the knife to pry something open.  They're also dishwasher safe and do not need sharpening, ever.

My favorite cheap ones:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-ceramic-chefs-knife-61443.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-ceramic-utility-knife-98184.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-ceramic-paring-knife-98183.html

• Like 3

Yeah, I also find there are three knives I use 90% of the time.  A chef's knife, a serrated knife, and a smaller knife that is like a larger paring knife.  I recently got a sort of carving knife that may take over the chefs role, it is a bit more appropriate for my hand size.  Other than that I have a suduko knife, which I like for some chopping but could easily do without, and a tiny paring knife, which I don't use much but is occasionally useful when I want to do some detailed cutting.

• Like 1

Wustoff was in my cooking class list and I love them so far.

I use 2 knives - a chefs knife and a pairing knife and that is all. Well I actually have two chefs knives (because of said class) but I only need one.

Add a long skinny serrated bread knife and that is all we need. A whole set of knives is pointless, I believe.

• Like 3

I bought a set of Cutco knives 30 years ago.  Still have them.  Still wonderful.

I'd buy one good knife at a time, rather than a set of just O.K knives.

Start with a good all purpose chef's knife and a paring knife.  Go from there, if needed.

Oh....key is sharpening.  A good knife that is not sharp is useless.  So you might want to try with having one or two of your current knives professionally sharpened.  That might make all the difference. :)

Edited by umsami
  • Like 2

Yep, ceramic.  You can go high end or low end and get basically the same quality in terms of the blade.  It's just the high end ones have a better balance in the hand. You still need a flexible boning knife and some kitchen shears, as well as something that can pry because these cannot take any lateral pressure without breaking.  But the cheap ones are fine and are easy to replace when your husband ignores your instruction to NOT use the knife to pry something open.  They're also dishwasher safe and do not need sharpening, ever.

My favorite cheap ones:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-ceramic-chefs-knife-61443.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-ceramic-utility-knife-98184.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-ceramic-paring-knife-98183.html

I need to buy one of these knives to try.  I have never used a ceramic knife.

• Like 1

This is very true for me. 

I have a Cutco knife set - Dh sold them door to door when he was a student. :)

I use the chef's knife and the 6" serrated one every day. The others maybe once a week. 

I will say that with kids beginning to really cook, a smaller chef's knife or a larger paring knife is a good tool. 

• Like 2

we got a set of wusthoffs just before 1dd and 1ds moved out (she bought a house, and he moved in with her.)   he fell in love with the santoku.  so, for christmas, i got one for him.

It's my favorite knife. :001_wub:    I have bigger and longer chef's knives (and smaller), but I prefer that one.

I've checked out many bread knives, actually bought some, but the wusthoff is my favorite bread knife.  I then got rid of the rest.

we have a number of utility knives - both wusthoff, JAhenckles, and chicago 62s - we use those a lot, but they're also over 30 years old.  

• Like 1

I have a set of Henkles from Target that are still great after 15 years. I would recommend buying on or two knives to start if a set is too expensive. In fact, I have bought seconds of my two fborite knives so my husband and I can both cut things at the same time.

Taking good care of knives will go a long way toward longevity even if you have cheap knives. Store them in a block or on a magnetic strip where the blades won't get beat up. Hand wash, and don't let them soak.

i'm not a knife expert, or whatever, but I cook a lot. And have weak hands. I ADORE my ceramic blade knives. Very very sharp, and lightweight and easy to use. I have the Kyocera brand ones, both the santoku and the paring knife. LOVE them. Oh, and they handles are colorful and pretty, which makes me happy. 

Even my teen prefers to use them now as they are so sharp. Sharp enough to slice a tomato even though they aren't serrated. And cheap compared to the "good knives" people are talking about. 

• Like 1

I was given 3 cutco knives. They are still going strong 10 years later. Recently, for $9 shipping and handling, I got them all sharpened and one replaced because the tip broke off. I have been super pleased with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Classic Wusthof are awesome. I've had mine for over 20 years, and they are still awesome. We do sharpen them regularly. 

Cutco are also good. I have a few, and they're nice.

Both are expensive. Maybe $500 for a small set of Wustof. But, they last forever. Period. All you *really* need is one good "chef's knife" and a decent ($5-10) paring knife. I use those knives for 90% of my cooking. The other $1000 in knives in my kitchen are more specialty knives and are nice to have, but not critical.

If I was wanting to really learn to cook and on a tight budget, I'd buy one nice chef's knife and one decent paring knife. And maybe also a $50 set of other knives (or use your old ones) so "helpers" in the kitchen don't mess with my good knifes for routine stuff. 

The good chef's knife is 90% of the battle, IMHO. I'd buy: https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-8-Inch-Cooks-Knife/dp/B00009ZK08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468074266&sr=8-1&keywords=wustof+chef+knife  

I'd probably go for 8" to start. Someday, you might want a longer one, and if you do, you can get a second one, which is great to have if you have a multi cook family (as I do). The 8" will do you fine forever, though.

I've had these knives forever, and I've yet to cook in another kitchen (including dozens of very nice homes) whose knives lived up to my standards. Just that one great knife will change your life, lol.

• Like 2

Classic Wusthof are awesome. I've had mine for over 20 years, and they are still awesome. We do sharpen them regularly. 

Cutco are also good. I have a few, and they're nice.

Both are expensive. Maybe $500 for a small set of Wustof. But, they last forever. Period. All you *really* need is one good "chef's knife" and a decent ($5-10) paring knife. I use those knives for 90% of my cooking. The other $1000 in knives in my kitchen are more specialty knives and are nice to have, but not critical.

If I was wanting to really learn to cook and on a tight budget, I'd buy one nice chef's knife and one decent paring knife. And maybe also a $50 set of other knives (or use your old ones) so "helpers" in the kitchen don't mess with my good knifes for routine stuff. 

The good chef's knife is 90% of the battle, IMHO. I'd buy: https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-8-Inch-Cooks-Knife/dp/B00009ZK08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468074266&sr=8-1&keywords=wustof+chef+knife

I'd probably go for 8" to start. Someday, you might want a longer one, and if you do, you can get a second one, which is great to have if you have a multi cook family (as I do). The 8" will do you fine forever, though.

I've had these knives forever, and I've yet to cook in another kitchen (including dozens of very nice homes) whose knives lived up to my standards. Just that one great knife will change your life, lol.

Re your last sentence:  I totally agree.  I have a sharp ceramic knife I keep in my car because when I am at someone's house and they let me help with kitchen prep, their knives are always terrible and I hate it.  So I get this one out of my car and am as happy as can be.  :0)   

The other problem with having really sharp knives is that when others come to your house and want to do kitchen work, they don't believe you when you tell them that the knife is really sharp...until they use it.  Then you spend the rest of the time talking about knives.  :0)  And I have to hide the sharp knives from my mother, who uses hers to open paint cans.  :::kindly eyeroll:::

I abuse my knives.  

I have Henkels with black handles. They are more mid-range priced. Dh bought me the set that Costco sells maybe 10 years ago.  They get washed in the dishwasher all the time.  I know it is bad, but honestly as long as they still cut and can be resharpened if needed, I am fine with it.   The set I got didn't have a standard chefs knife that I liked, so I have added two identical ones since then. They are Henkels also but they were bought for feel and style. I have two so that two people can chop at the same time.

I hone them periodically, and they have zero problem cutting a tomato or slicing bread without tearing. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Thank you, thank you all!! After going through literally 4-5 knives trying to have 11yr old dd cut a carrot (safely) I HAD IT. Showed dh this thread, so many great options to choose from!!

We ended going for the Wusthof 10 piece set, the "cheaper" one that Macy's and some other places carry for $199. Just hoping they'll be decent, since it seems more affordable compared to their other sets. But honestly, I'm sure ANYTHING is better than what we had.

I'll still look into ceramic just because I'm curious about them. Also getting a knife sharpener (also some where suggested here).

As you can tell, DONE with bad knives. Thank you all for help, suggestions, links etc!

• Like 2