Menu

Let's talk kitchen knives

mamiof5

Thank you, thank you all!! After going through literally 4-5 knives trying to have 11yr old dd cut a carrot (safely) I HAD IT. Showed dh this thread, so many great options to choose from!!

We ended going for the Wusthof 10 piece set, the "cheaper" one that Macy's and some other places carry for $199. Just hoping they'll be decent, since it seems more affordable compared to their other sets. But honestly, I'm sure ANYTHING is better than what we had.

I'll still look into ceramic just because I'm curious about them. Also getting a knife sharpener (also some where suggested here).

As you can tell, DONE with bad knives. Thank you all for help, suggestions, links etc!

I am glad you are going to make the plunge.  Your sure to fall in love :001_wub:  and wonder why you have waited to so long.

Do your research on how to use the the honing steel (most sets come with one, other wise you can buy one separately). A honing steel reshapes the blade. It doesn't remove metal like a sharpener does.  You really shouldn't need to actually sharpen good knives very often, but the honing steel can keep them very, very sharp for a long time if you lean how to use it properly.

Also pay attention to what you are using for a cutting board. Do some research on what materials are best for you knives. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

I am glad you are going to make the plunge. Your sure to fall in love :001_wub: and wonder why you have waited to so long.

Do your research on how to use the the honing steel (most sets come with one, other wise you can buy one separately). A honing steel reshapes the blade. It doesn't remove metal like a sharpener does. You really shouldn't need to actually sharpen good knives very often, but the honing steel can keep them very, very sharp for a long time if you lean how to use it properly.

Also pay attention to what you are using for a cutting board. Do some research on what materials are best for you knives.

Thank you!!! I'll definitely look into it, I do think it comes with one and dh and I have no clue how to use it. I'm sure we can learn :)

And cutting boards? Have never thought about it!! We have just white plastic ones. I had no clue some where better than others! I'll Google it, but I might also ask here :)

My favorites are my Cutco ~7" knife, my Pampered Chef chef's knife in a honing case (worked as well as the Cutco during our Cutco demonstration), Pampered Chef Quickcut paring knives, and my Cutco scissors ( super sturdy and come apart for washing.) The Cutco demonstrator encouraged us to put the Cutco knives in the dishwasher, which I do. The Quickcut knives are cheap enough to replace so they are dishwasher fodder too.

I have a set of Chicago Cutlery that was given to us as a wedding present.  They are okay but the wood is warping after years of being placed in the dishwasher.  (Yes I know this is a big no no but my skin reacts badly to soap and it's worth replacing knives/dishes over living with dry itching skin).  The wood no longer feels nice on my skin and the blades are pretty dull.  We bought a Cutco Cheese knife as I've never had a cheese knife survive more than a few months.  That thing was fabulous.  it's sliced through cheese like butter.  I bought 3 more knives and got a free sharpener.  The Cutco rep keeps trying to get me to buy more knives but I truly have no need for anything else.  I have a paring knife, the cheese knife a bread knife and a small chef knife.  Occasionally I've wished for a second paring knife but never for any different types.  I realized a long time a go that a knife set was pretty worthless to me because I only use a couple of styles over and over again.  Buying a set when you only need a couples makes those couple you use very very expensive.  Better to pay more for a better quality knife and just get the ones you actually use.

If you really want to nerd out on knife stuff, knock yourselves out here. http://www.epicedge.com/

Alas for my lusts the shop is 2 miles from my house. That said, when I lose my mind and run away, I will take only the 8" chef knife and 4" paring knife, both of which came from this shop.

You might like a bamboo cutting board.  They're pretty easy to find inexpensively these days at Krogers, Kitchen Collection, wherever.  Look for something larger for when you want to cut lettuce and cabbage and something smaller for when you're just slicing a lemon or something small.  I have a whole drawer of them, all kinds: wood, bamboo, silicone, thin cheapies from IKEA...  Really, I like them all.  I just like the bamboo the best, because they don't get deep grooves and don't warp.  I'll bet if you just look in town, you'll find a set of three for a good price.  They'll be nice with your new knives!  Have fun!!!  :)

Amazon.com: Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board - 18x12 Thick Strong Bamboo Wood Cutting Board with Drip Groove by Premium Bamboo: Kitchen & Dining

That's the big size for when you're making a whole salad.

Kitchen Collection Set of 2 Bamboo Cutting Boards | Kitchen Collection

These are like mine, though my set of three had a smaller size.  I'm not saying these are mine, just that they're like mine.  Notice the edges are rounded.  

Cutting boards are something where you can just try them, see what you like.  Looks like Walmart has a set of three for $12.  Farberware Classic 3-Piece Bamboo Cutting Board Set, 11" x 14", 8" x 10" and 8" x 5"  

For wood boards, sometimes cheap boards warp.  I had one that was a real deal, really liked it, till the whole thing curved and bowed when it dried!  It's how they cut the wood.  Boos makes really good wood boards, if you want to splurge.  I have an adorable small one from Boos.  They're thick, so the big ones are a BEAST to pick up, wash, etc.  

Edited by OhElizabeth

I sold Cutco in college. I still have a full set and use them daily. My mom currently has my grandmother's set from that she got in the 50s I think. They are also still in great shape and going strong.

Dh has a Wusthof chef's knife that he loves, but it has to be sharpened much more frequently than the Cutco.

We also have a couple Chicago Cutlery santukos that Brotherman likes. They are decent knives, especially for the price, and he likes that they are lighter weight.

John Boos 12-Inch Square Maple Cutting Board with Feet  I have this board but with no feet.  It's a very happy size for just cutting and grating carrots, small things, salad for a single person.  

John Boos RA03 24-by-18-by-2-1/4-Inch Reversible Maple Cutting Board

This is the big one, and it's heavy!  Then you have to store it, fit it in your sink, etc.  That's where a thinner board or bamboo can be so nice, because you get the size without the weight.

John Boos Chop-N-Slice 20-by-15-Inch Maple Cutting Board  this is the next one amazon lists for big Boos, and it looks nice.  

I guess go to the store and pet some boards and get what you like.  :)

Re your last sentence:  I totally agree.  I have a sharp ceramic knife I keep in my car because when I am at someone's house and they let me help with kitchen prep, their knives are always terrible and I hate it.  So I get this one out of my car and am as happy as can be.  :0)   

The other problem with having really sharp knives is that when others come to your house and want to do kitchen work, they don't believe you when you tell them that the knife is really sharp...until they use it.  Then you spend the rest of the time talking about knives.  :0)  And I have to hide the sharp knives from my mother, who uses hers to open paint cans.  :::kindly eyeroll:::

dh gave sil several  Chicago's for Christmas.  she puts them in the dishwasher and otherwise completely abuses  them.  he now takes his knife sharpener to her house when she wants  him to cut something.  he will also bring his own.  she's learned to be more careful with her knives if he's been there.

Thank you, thank you all!! After going through literally 4-5 knives trying to have 11yr old dd cut a carrot (safely) I HAD IT. Showed dh this thread, so many great options to choose from!!

We ended going for the Wusthof 10 piece set, the "cheaper" one that Macy's and some other places carry for $199. Just hoping they'll be decent, since it seems more affordable compared to their other sets. But honestly, I'm sure ANYTHING is better than what we had.

I'll still look into ceramic just because I'm curious about them. Also getting a knife sharpener (also some where suggested here).

As you can tell, DONE with bad knives. Thank you all for help, suggestions, links etc!

the cheaper ones use  the same metal, but it is thinner.  the handles aren't as nice.  but they cut just as well.  I bought one of those sets for 1dd when she bought her house.  she cooks to relax.

Thank you!!! I'll definitely look into it, I do think it comes with one and dh and I have no clue how to use it. I'm sure we can learn :)

And cutting boards? Have never thought about it!! We have just white plastic ones. I had no clue some where better than others! I'll Google it, but I might also ask here :)

something hard.   I vaguely recall reading the wood are actually safer than the plastic.

we have maple, oak, and bamboo, different sizes. make sure you have a place to store a big one . . . . dh received an enormous bamboo one, large enough for a turkey, as a gift.  storing it . . . . . . .

• Like 1

the cheaper ones use the same metal, but it is thinner. the handles aren't as nice. but they cut just as well. I bought one of those sets for 1dd when she bought her house. she cooks to relax.

something hard. I vaguely recall reading the wood are actually safer than the plastic.

we have maple, oak, and bamboo, different sizes. make sure you have a place to store a big one . . . . dh received an enormous bamboo one, large enough for a turkey, as a gift. storing it . . . . . . .

Thanks!!! Yes, we assumed probably the metal is thinner in cheaper set, but looking forward to trying them. You won't believe how bad our old ones are.

And yes, also read about wood being better. Dh has one, but it's SO BIG. Hoping I can find better sizes :)

I would buy one Cutco knife - whichever you need the most. An then another, or ask for it for Christmas.

The Trimmer is a good all around knife but look at their selection.

https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=trimmer

Second best is RADA for me. I like their serrated knife (they call it "tomato knife) and a few general purpose knives.

https://www.radacutlery.com/

• Like 1

I have knives!!!! And guess what??? THEY CUT!!! Tried tomatoes, avocados, watermelon, honeydew, mango, onion. I was so thrilled! Got them yesterday ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘.

Waiting for the kyocera ceramic ones that were also suggested here. Wanted to try ceramic! And the pretty colors... couldn't resist😂

• Like 2