Menu

We had to put down our cat today

TravelingChris

OUr 15 year old cat was taken to the vet today because he was hardly eating since last Friday and developed a laceration on his abdomen last night.  My son thought it was the flea preventer that he applied last Friday that caused him to stop eating but that was apparently just a coincidence.  It turned out that he was in kidney failure and also had an infected tooth.  He had lost a lot of weight in a relatively short amount of time.  THe vet recommended euthanasia and so we did that because we didn't want him to be in even more pain as his kidney failure progressed.  

This cat saved our house from burning down when he was young.  We had a furnace fire (the emergency shut off switch failed) and I was in the bathtub.  That cat meowed so loudly and unexpectedly that I got out sooner than I was going to and went to see what was the matter.  I was able to stop the fire but I had that cat to thank.  

We knew he was quite sick because for the first time ever. he didn't hiss or try to bite the vet staff/  He let them pick him up and examine him with no complaint at all.  THat was just so unlike him.

It's just so sad but 15 years is a good lifespan for a cat even though my other one lasted till 17.  I also had cats die younger than that too.

I'm sorry, he sounds like a great cat.

I had a very old cat who was nice but hated anyone to touch her paws.  When I took her to the vet to be put down and they went to put the IV in, she still tried to bite when they grabbed her paw.  It made me smile.  She never did like people messin' with her paws!  

:grouphug:

It's so hard to say goodbye! I can't imagine what your son must have felt before discovering the kidney failure and tooth infection.  :grouphug:

I'll join you in remembering and celebrating 15 wonderful years with your much loved kitty. And what a story! I hear about dogs who save their family from fire, but rarely a cat. He was obviously more than the average, garden variety pet ... and I'm incredibly sorry to hear of your loss.