Menu

tell me about prolapses

SparklyUnicorn

Crap crap crap crap crap. Another thing I didn't need to know about getting older.

The timing of this thread is highly ironic.

Today, I went into the barn and our hugely pregnant with at least twins probably triplets ewe had a vag. prolapse. Cleaned her up, squished it back in there, went into the house to cook breakfast.

Went back out, prolapsed again.

Called the vet. Yeah, till she gives birth all that pressure's just going to squirt it back out every time she lays down.

So we improvised a harness sewed into her wool to hold it all in.

Downside is that it must be cut off when she goes into labor to let the lambs out! So we have to check her every 3 hours till then.

And we're scheduled to go out of town next Tues.

Irony is, I told my girls, "I'm so glad I'm human and don't have to worry about such things...."

• Like 2

I recently saw a urogynocolgist for other reasons but she discussed this. She said constipation is a major reason for pelvic floor prolapse. I wasn't sure why she was discussing my bathroom regularity until she told me. She even said, "I'm all about the poop!" 

So there's your PSA for this thread. Make sure you don't get constipated, especially if you're a woman of a certain age.

This. This is what caused my problem. Ugh. 

I will say that when I am not constipated I have zero issues with the rectocele. The only time it is a problem is when I am constipated. Which, since weight loss surgery, is more often than not. But when I take my miralax and watch my diet very closely it's fine. 

So, hooray, for me, I can share what I know... Which is, unfortunately, fairly extensive. 

You could have a uterine prolapse, but what is far more common is one of the "walls" caves in.

There are:

Rectocele (back wall) 

Cystocele ("fallen" bladder)

Enterocele (small intestine & peritoneum)

Did you have a trigger?  For some this is birth, others lifting something heavy, others --- varies.  My "episode" was the birth of number 5.  She had this AMAZINGLY huge head - and super round.  A few days after birth I felt it "give" and I honestly thought my uterus was falling out.  Total panic.  

It gets better, it gets worse, it fluctuates.  99% of the time mine (I have all three) don't bother me a bit.  They in no way interfere with life, though you might find it challenging to completely empty your bladder and that can make you more prone to infections.  Like kt, I've had one period of time that I did have to splint.  Quite honestly I had a total emotional meltdown.  I was pregnant with #10 and had just had my cervical surgery (cerclage) and I thought, " I CANNOT live like this."  I was a mess.   A few days later it corrected itself - my OB just said, "Let's give it few days and see if it was trauma from being stretched and we'll evaluate then."

For #9, I had my cervical surgery at a teaching hospital and one of the young OBs went on and on about how it's bad and needs to be corrected.  A (much) older female OB said, essentially, that they try very hard to not interfere and "fix" this unless it's important to quality of life because the repairs don't go great.  Now I've had two friends that have also had these.  One had the surgical repair and was SO thrilled.  She wished she had had it immediately.  The other chose to not have the repair and she is like me, you can tell that it's there, though you get used to it, but it in NO WAY interferes with life at all.  

I was really terrified with subsequent pregnancies that it would get bad - worse than it was and it never did.  I do notice hormonal fluctuations with my cycle.  It will get worse and then better again.

I hope this is comforting to you.  I have also heard that if you can stay very fit it is also better - less weight pressing.

Ugh ...yeah I don't know, but whatever it is...it's literally right there sticking out.  I'm not going to look at it because it's bad enough I know it's there.  I don't want to freak myself out.

My second delivery was very rough.  I didn't walk out of the hospital upright.  I'm convinced I never fully recovered from that (10 years ago). 

I will say that when I am not constipated I have zero issues with the rectocele. The only time it is a problem is when I am constipated. Which, since weight loss surgery, is more often than not. But when I take my miralax and watch my diet very closely it's fine. 

I have been straining lately, but not really constipated.  I assumed I had a hemorrhoid.  Now..I'm not so sure.  Plus I do cough sometimes (acid reflux).

Little signs I guess.  Had i know they could cause so many dang problems I might have taken them more seriously.  Although last time I had issues I had to go to several doctors before they would freaking do anything.

Maybe I need to be a heck of a lot more demanding. 

• Like 1

I have a gut feeling that most doctors, if not all, take a very conservative approach to prolapse.  Even if they notice you have one, as long as it's not severe, they most likely won't mention it until you bring it up to them.  Because the surgical results and longterm outcomes are "meh" at best they tend to wait until it's at least causing life interfering symptoms or discomfort to raise the issue.  

I'm sure there are many women walking around with varying degrees of prolapse who don't even know, lol!

I do wish that doctors would do more to educate women BEFORE childbirth on what they can do afterwards to minimize the risk (take it easy, don't lift anything heavier than the baby...or in my case don't go traipsing around Barnes and Noble carrying a baby in a car seat a week after delivering  :thumbdown: ).  

Edited by JennSnow
  • Like 2

I do wish that doctors would do more to educate women BEFORE childbirth on what they can do afterwards to minimize the risk (take it easy, don't lift anything heavier than the baby...or in my case don't go traipsing around Barnes and Noble carrying a baby in a car seat a week after delivering  :thumbdown: ).  

Oh, yes!  The bolded is so important! 

I probably could've prevented my prolapse, rectocele, and cystocele if someone had talked to me before I self-inflicted them.  LOL.

About the pessary, Sparkly, it's not all that bad.  I use one, and it's been a fabulous stop gap to surgery (I'm 40 and don't want to start a surgery cycle, yet).  I insert usually on Monday and take it out Thursday, on weeks I don't have my period.  So, once or twice per week.  It's tricky for me to get out, but not to get in or keep in (and I can't use tampons or menstrual cups).  It's been a huge benefit for me.  It's helped quite a bit, according to my urogynocologist, who says my parts are staying in place even when the pessary is out.

Physical therapy bought me a lot of time before needing the pessary, too. 

Best wishes!

Edited by Random

I have been reading this thread with intent interest because I have so many questions about my own problems in that area!  Many of them have been answered here.  Thank you!  

But I have another question that hasn't been addressed.  What about TeA?  I was told by my gyn a couple years ago that I was prolapsing, and that I should do Kegals to prevent surgery.  So I did, and I do.  Then, at this year's exam, she didn't even mention the prolapse, just that I was loosy-goosy down there.  (Maybe that's better?)  Meanwhile, dh finds our TeA rather non-climactic, IYKWIM.  I'm thinking it's because our teapot is just too large.  Is this a common problem with pelvic floor issues?

• Like 1

Ugh ...yeah I don't know, but whatever it is...it's literally right there sticking out.  I'm not going to look at it because it's bad enough I know it's there.  I don't want to freak myself out.

My second delivery was very rough.  I didn't walk out of the hospital upright.  I'm convinced I never fully recovered from that (10 years ago). 

Ugh!  Sparkly, have you tried any exercises or stretches?  Sometimes something like the bridge pose in yoga can use gravity to settle things right (at least until you can see the doctor.)  You don't even have to hold yourself up, like you would for yoga, just put pillows under your hips and relax for a while.

My PT was insistent that we should be better treated after childbirth.  Her argument was that if we were in an accident with that much injury to a shoulder, we be prescribed PT as soon as safe, but for the pelvic area...nada.

I might have missed it but is there a reason the pessary has to be taken out?

Well, sex. The cube kind takes up all the vaginal space. Also it's apparently healthy to give the vaginal walls a rest. I take it out less often than recommended and it seems fine.

• Like 1

My PT was insistent that we should be better treated after childbirth. Her argument was that if we were in an accident with that much injury to a shoulder, we be prescribed PT as soon as safe, but for the pelvic area...nada.

I was told that post birth PT was standard in France.

• Like 1

Yes.  This. I surely wish somebody had mentioned it so that when I felt things slipping internally when I went up and down the stairs, I would have known it was NOT my imagination.

I didn't really do any of that though (excessive lifting, etc.).  And I had my last kid almost 11 years ago.

I'm not entirely sure how much control we have over these things. 

I was told that post birth PT was standard in France.

I had to go to several doctors after my second was born to find one who would try something.  He sent me to PT.  It didn't work at first and I got worse.  So that guy told another woman in the practice who specializes in childbirth related injuries/issues and after she worked with me I was a new person.  She said she sends fliers to the OBGYN places about her services.  Nobody ever mentioned it to me.  Makes me kind of angry that I had to go through so much trouble for some relief.  Once they were on the right track I got better quickly.

Maybe I need to be bitchier when I go. 

• Like 1

Ugh!  Sparkly, have you tried any exercises or stretches?  Sometimes something like the bridge pose in yoga can use gravity to settle things right (at least until you can see the doctor.)  You don't even have to hold yourself up, like you would for yoga, just put pillows under your hips and relax for a while.

My PT was insistent that we should be better treated after childbirth.  Her argument was that if we were in an accident with that much injury to a shoulder, we be prescribed PT as soon as safe, but for the pelvic area...nada.

I see the doc on Tues thankfully.  I feel better today than yesterday.

I think the bridge pose would kill my back.

• Like 1

I have been reading this thread with intent interest because I have so many questions about my own problems in that area!  Many of them have been answered here.  Thank you!  

But I have another question that hasn't been addressed.  What about TeA?  I was told by my gyn a couple years ago that I was prolapsing, and that I should do Kegals to prevent surgery.  So I did, and I do.  Then, at this year's exam, she didn't even mention the prolapse, just that I was loosy-goosy down there.  (Maybe that's better?)  Meanwhile, dh finds our TeA rather non-climactic, IYKWIM.  I'm thinking it's because our teapot is just too large.  Is this a common problem with pelvic floor issues?

I haven't had issues in that dept except now I do because as I said there is something hanging very low in there and no way is anyone coming near me. 

I am sure I'll know more as I find out what the deal is with this.

When I was not quite right, but not severely prolapsed, my husband did often find things non-climactic.  Once the prolapse was severe, nothing could happen because my uterus was taking up my vagina and wouldn't stay up when pushed in.  Post-surgery, things are very, very climactic once again.  That's been a very pleasant surprise.

• Like 2

Oh boy!  I've been dealing with prolapses for years.  To make a long story short, I ended up with severe rectal, uterine, and bladder prolapses.  I used a pessary for three years before it started making me bleed when I was at all active.  So, surgery was next on the list.  I basically had everything put back in place with sutures.  I had the surgery mid Jan of this year and so far, so good.  It was a pretty good recovery period, but I'm feeling like myself now.

Living with prolapses is no quality of life, that's for sure.  Take care of yourself.  Remember, it doesn't hurt to at least try a pessary first.  Yes, it takes some getting used to at first (with putting it in and taking it out), but once you're used to it, it's not a big deal.

Hope I helped a little!

I've had no complaints. ;)  Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference despite the OBs thinking mine is fairly... I hesitate to say severe, so challenging?  DH either hasn't noticed or is too polite to say so and it really could be the second.

• Like 1

I haven't had issues in that dept except now I do because as I said there is something hanging very low in there and no way is anyone coming near me. 

I am sure I'll know more as I find out what the deal is with this.

It really could be a "wall" rather than the uterus.  I'm hoping yours self corrects like mine did.  I think I was definitely more panicky than you are right now. ;)  I was horrified and absolutely certain my uterus was going to fall out with movement.

• Like 1

Is is possible a menstrual cup works as a pessary?  I have a uterine prolapse and use one during my cycle.  My prolapse seems less pronounced than it used to be.

I used a menstrual cup for years.  It didn't change anything.

• Like 1

It really could be a "wall" rather than the uterus.  I'm hoping yours self corrects like mine did.  I think I was definitely more panicky than you are right now. ;)  I was horrified and absolutely certain my uterus was going to fall out with movement.

I'm trying not to think too hard about it.

What gets me though is that this seems pretty common yet I've never heard of it.  Why is that I wonder.

Do they never do a hysterectomy for prolapse?  At my age (52), it seems like it would be a simple solution.  I certainly don't need a uterus anymore.

Based on what I read, yes they do. 

I think I'd prefer surgery myself.  The thought of futzing around with devices....I don't think I'd like that at all.  And there can be a few annoying side affects like odors, it falling out if you cough hard or strain, etc.  Good grief that sounds so annoying.

But then there are risks to surgery.  Plus I imagine a hysterectomy doesn't prevent prolapse of one's bladder or rectum. 

I believe that for a uterine prolapse, yes, a hysterectomy would be a viable surgical solution.  However, it's a bit of a double edged sword..when you remove the uterus you remove much of the supporting structure for the vagina, including the front and back walls which hold the bladder and bowel in place. Prolapse of the vaginal walls is unfortunately a common after effect of a hysterectomy.   

• Like 2

I think I'd prefer surgery myself.  The thought of futzing around with devices....I don't think I'd like that at all.  And there can be a few annoying side affects like odors, it falling out if you cough hard or strain, etc.  Good grief that sounds so annoying.

But then there are risks to surgery.  Plus I imagine a hysterectomy doesn't prevent prolapse of one's bladder or rectum. 

I get what you're saying here.  And, I'm not trying to convince you to do one thing over another.  But, I do want to say that using a pessary isn't like what you're describing.  I've never had odors or falling out (I can't imagine that actually happening!  It's actually a little tricky to get it out.).  I put it in or take it out once a week.  And it keeps my parts in their places.  Way less risk than surgery.  Way less trouble or pain or inconvenience or money or time than surgery.

And, a good urogyno will tell you that repair surgery is a temporary fix.  It's all just tissue down there that will continue to age and sag and lose elasticity. 

The repair surgeries are different than hysterectomy.  Although, hysterectomy will eliminate the potential for uterine prolapse (obviously).  Hysterectomy is a popular treatment for uterine prolapse, depending on the individual's age, lifestyle, etc.  Hysterectomy removes the uterus, but it will not strengthen your pelvic floor muscles or treat a rectocele, cystocele, etc.  Pessaries help with all these issues.

Just wanted to share that in case anyone else reading might thing using a pessary is awful or that surgery is the easier fix. 

• Like 1

I believe that for a uterine prolapse, yes, a hysterectomy would be a viable surgical solution.  However, it's a bit of a double edged sword..when you remove the uterus you remove much of the supporting structure for the vagina, including the front and back walls which hold the bladder and bowel in place. Prolapse of the vaginal walls is unfortunately a common after effect of a hysterectomy.   

A friend of mine who is a physical therapist was told she should have a hysterectomy for a different issue.  She declined because she said the uterus is the only supported structure in that part of the body, and once you cut that out you end up with a cascade of problems.  Her doctor agreed, and they moved on to other options.

I had no idea this was the case.  I'm really grateful for those women who have a clue and mention it; you're saving the rest of us a host of problems our doctors apparently aren't really thinking about.

• Like 2

I have some combination of prolapses that probably started a long time ago, but I wasn't really aware of them.  In 2009 the whole family came down with the h1n1 flu.  I had a severe lingering cough for weeks, and towards the end it was obvious that something was really, really wrong down there.  The constant sensation of something falling out of me while sitting, standing, anything, while also feeling like the beginning of a UTI, and a drastic change in urination... that also lasted for weeks and nothing seemed to make it better... It didn't take long to figure out that this was some kind of prolapse, and it was so depressing.  I had just turned 30!  I read about the surgeries and the long term (10+ year) failure rates, also depressing.  We were hoping to have more children; was that playing with fire??  It was a very scary time for me.

I fumbled around with a pessary but it didn't really work.  The thing that really helped me was https://wholewoman.com/ .   Some of the underlying philosophies on that site and its forums are kind of "out-there/crunchy-granola" and I definitely looked at it with a skeptical eye.  In desperation I thought I'd just try this posture and exercise thing for a while, what could it hurt, right?  I'd say that within a week after starting, the prolapse was bothering me significantly less.  I might even forget about it for a couple of hours, when before the sensation was constant.  The symptoms continued to slowly improve from there.  I learned some tricks on the forums to help me urinate completely, or at least enough to avoid a UTI.  For years now I barely notice the prolapse, unless I do something to aggravate it (too much lounging, lifting the wrong way, getting constipated etc).  Even when aggravated, I go back to being careful and the symptoms are gone within a few days.  I had another baby in 2014 and am pregnant again (3rd trimester) now, and it still doesn't bother me much.  I was pretty scared that postpartum would put me back to square one, but it wasn't bad at all.  This is probably not a 100% success story, because the prolapse is still there and will continue to worsen with time.  All I wanted was a way to manage it, at least until I am past the childbearing years.  By then, maybe the surgeries will have improved, or maybe a hysterectomy will be more feasible.  So far so good!

Well looking back at various minor symptoms I have had (that were kinda vague) I think this may have been a problem for awhile, but now it's gotten bad enough to REALLY notice.  It's really driving me nuts at the moment. 

Seriously though, why is this a freaking thing?!

Haven't read the whole thread, so maybe others have already replied to this.

"Modern Life" conveniences have led to a deterioration, for many/most of us, of our natural physical strength, musculature and physiology. Including weakness of the pelvic floor and related areas. We sit too much; squat too little; move too little...etc.

Haven't read the whole thread, so maybe others have already replied to this.

"Modern Life" conveniences have led to a deterioration, for many/most of us, of our natural physical strength, musculature and physiology. Including weakness of the pelvic floor and related areas. We sit too much; squat too little; move too little...etc.

Not sure I buy that.  I know some very fit people who have this issue.

• Like 1

Not sure I buy that.  I know some very fit people who have this issue.

Yes indeed.  The way that my OB/GYN explained it was that the wide pelvic cavity that women need to have in order to give birth,  combined with the upright posture into which we have evolved, cause everything to go south. 

Living longer doesn't help.  

But I have to wonder whether some of those middle-class confirmed invalids in the Victorian period were suffering from either prolapse or fistula.  My grandmother 'was never the same again' after the birth of her second child.  I've no idea what the problem was, but it was caused by a very fast birth - the doctor induced birth (how?) in Uganda in 1926 so that he could go off on safari with his mates.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

My mom had a hysterectomy for uterine prolapse. She was 28. She has dealt with bladder, vaginal, and rectal prolapse since then. 

My mother had a corrective procedure for a bladder prolapse in her late 20s.  It didn't last unfortunately.

She had kids younger than I did though.  Almost 8 years younger.

And, a good urogyno will tell you that repair surgery is a temporary fix.  It's all just tissue down there that will continue to age and sag and lose elasticity. 

The repair surgeries are different than hysterectomy.  Although, hysterectomy will eliminate the potential for uterine prolapse (obviously).  Hysterectomy is a popular treatment for uterine prolapse, depending on the individual's age, lifestyle, etc.  Hysterectomy removes the uterus, but it will not strengthen your pelvic floor muscles or treat a rectocele, cystocele, etc.  Pessaries help with all these issues.

Just wanted to share that in case anyone else reading might thing using a pessary is awful or that surgery is the easier fix. 

A friend of mine who is a physical therapist was told she should have a hysterectomy for a different issue.  She declined because she said the uterus is the only supported structure in that part of the body, and once you cut that out you end up with a cascade of problems.  Her doctor agreed, and they moved on to other options.

I had no idea this was the case.  I'm really grateful for those women who have a clue and mention it; you're saving the rest of us a host of problems our doctors apparently aren't really thinking about.

My mom had a hysterectomy for uterine prolapse. She was 28. She has dealt with bladder, vaginal, and rectal prolapse since then. 

Thank you all, for convincing me that a hysterectomy would be a really bad idea.  I was thinking that the uterus was weighing down, trying to fall out.  I didn't picture it as being the thing that holds everything up!  I'll leave it there, and keep learning/exercising.

• Like 2

FWIW, I haven't had those problems with a pessary.

That's good.

I dunno.  I can't manage tampons so I'm really trying to imagine something like that.  Since it's not expensive I'll probably try it because surgery doesn't sound so awesome either.  And heck at the moment I'm not sure when I'd have time for that. 

• Like 1

I fumbled around with a pessary but it didn't really work.  The thing that really helped me was https://wholewoman.com/ .   Some of the underlying philosophies on that site and its forums are kind of "out-there/crunchy-granola" and I definitely looked at it with a skeptical eye.  In desperation I thought I'd just try this posture and exercise thing for a while, what could it hurt, right?  I'd say that within a week after starting, the prolapse was bothering me significantly less.  I might even forget about it for a couple of hours, when before the sensation was constant.  The symptoms continued to slowly improve from there.  I learned some tricks on the forums to help me urinate completely, or at least enough to avoid a UTI.  For years now I barely notice the prolapse, unless I do something to aggravate it (too much lounging, lifting the wrong way, getting constipated etc).  Even when aggravated, I go back to being careful and the symptoms are gone within a few days.  I had another baby in 2014 and am pregnant again (3rd trimester) now, and it still doesn't bother me much.  I was pretty scared that postpartum would put me back to square one, but it wasn't bad at all.  This is probably not a 100% success story, because the prolapse is still there and will continue to worsen with time.  All I wanted was a way to manage it, at least until I am past the childbearing years.  By then, maybe the surgeries will have improved, or maybe a hysterectomy will be more feasible.  So far so good!

Aha!  I had found that site and wondered if it was worth exploring more.  (And, you know, what would Katy Bowman say about it -- does it go along with a lot of what she has to say on the subject? Because I pretty much trust KB to know what she's talking about most of the time.)  So thanks for the review.  I'll start reading it.

Also, lots of seemingly fit people have alignment issues that exacerbate pelvic floor dysfunction.  Our typical concept of "fitness" vs. decently aligned movement are really different things.  Unless you're defining "fit" as someone who got rid of all their furniture (so no sitting back on their sacrum), never wears positive heels, walks/moves on varied surfaces daily, and generally has an incredibly nutritious menu of daily movement.  You can't look at a sedentary population (and working out 1 or 2 hours out of every 24 is sedentary, sorry to say) and decide that the human body will always have this problem regardless of how it is used.

• Like 2

Thank you all, for convincing me that a hysterectomy would be a really bad idea.  I was thinking that the uterus was weighing down, trying to fall out.  I didn't picture it as being the thing that holds everything up!  I'll leave it there, and keep learning/exercising.

It's different for different people.  Sometimes, the uterus should come out.  Sometimes, it should stay in. If you're having symptoms, it's probably a good idea to have an examination.

Best wishes

• Like 1

Not sure I buy that. I know some very fit people who have this issue.

Incontinence happens to even elite athletes. Body shock exacerbates these kinda problems.

Overall fitness and good diet do reduce it though and excess weight exacerbates so it's going to be more common. Also childbirth interventions. Of course the flip side is we generally overall survive childbirth.

I think it's not so much high level fitness activity but the lack of gentle movement (walking) that was part of our history that helps overall body structure.

Also of course we typically live longer which means more age related health problems.

Aha!  I had found that site and wondered if it was worth exploring more.  (And, you know, what would Katy Bowman say about it -- does it go along with a lot of what she has to say on the subject? Because I pretty much trust KB to know what she's talking about most of the time.)  So thanks for the review.  I'll start reading it.

Also, lots of seemingly fit people have alignment issues that exacerbate pelvic floor dysfunction.  Our typical concept of "fitness" vs. decently aligned movement are really different things.  Unless you're defining "fit" as someone who got rid of all their furniture (so no sitting back on their sacrum), never wears positive heels, walks/moves on varied surfaces daily, and generally has an incredibly nutritious menu of daily movement.  You can't look at a sedentary population (and working out 1 or 2 hours out of every 24 is sedentary, sorry to say) and decide that the human body will always have this problem regardless of how it is used.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Katy Bowman and her recommendations (I might have found her site back when I was first researching, but this was years ago!).  Honestly, I don't even check the WW site more than a few times a year... I just do what I've been doing and don't research much about the prolapse anymore.

In addition to your list, I know that the WW approach blames the common "fit" posture of tightening the abs and tucking the butt as a contributor to prolapse, as well as society's fixation on women with flat/toned stomachs.  The WW posture is like this (partially nude woman):

https://wholewoman.com/blog/images/2016/03/goatgirl-copy-2.jpg

The stomach/abs are left loose and rounded, the chest is pulled up, the shoulders are down but not pulled back, and there is a significant lumbar curve.  The abdomen isn't actually loose when you lift up your chest, but different muscles are activated than "sucking in the gut" or tightening the abs.  It is similar to the posture of a young child.

There is a mention of Katy Bowman in this blog post:

https://wholewoman.com/blog/?p=578

Holy cow. I don't have these issues, but I read this whole thread anyway.

I can't stop crossing my legs and squirming in sympathy for you all, lol.

Man, being a woman is rough!

Yes! Me too! I've been pelvic floor exercising through the whole thread...

Hope you get some relief sparkly et al!

• Like 1