Menu

tell me about prolapses

SparklyUnicorn

Do they never do a hysterectomy for prolapse?  At my age (52), it seems like it would be a simple solution.  I certainly don't need a uterus anymore.

I had a hysterectomy.  It's done quite often for uterine prolapses.  The OB didn't have to do much to help my uterus out, though.  It was practically there on its own (if it comes all the way out, that *is* an emergency, by the way).  I was not a good candidate for a pessary partly because I literally cannot handle having anything sitting in my vagina.  Menstrual cups and tampons I could only deal with because it was only a few days a month.  I used a Nuvaring one month (3 weeks) and wanted to claw my eyes out.  I could feel it the whole time.  My bladder was also severely out of place (we're talking to the side and down with none of it even touching where it should've been) and that was partly due to it being pushed when the prolapse was so minor a pessary wouldn't have been considered.  My bladder couldn't be fixed properly with the uterus where it was.  Sometimes the only option is hysterectomy.  I know many, many people who had uterine prolapses and had hysterectomies and are very happy with it (some 10+ years ago) and have no had recurrent prolapse issues.

Oh joy...on my way out to go have my privates ogled at.  :glare:

Always so fun.

After I lost 74 lbs, I found my daily issues kind of disappeared unless my bladder is really full and I cough/sneeze. I have all of the above (rectocyle, cystocele, and my cervix hangs down way more than it used to). I considered surgery, but my mom had a hysterectomy and the bladder sling and the bladder operation did not last. I considered the pessary and tried the Poise Impressa ones. The Impressa ones were no match for my leakage issues when I run. At this point, I obsessively visit the bathroom pre-run as many times as possible, wear a pad and hope that it's hefty enough to make it to the end of my run. Yesterday, at the half way point in my run, I quite literally lost control of my bladder. That's a blast and a half, let me tell you.

I switched doctors this year and mentioned my problems to her and she referred me to a PT who specializes in POP and particularly with SUI. I saw her yesterday (more pelvic exam, seriously at this point, maybe I should charge admission) and she said given the distances that I run and the fact that I apparently have hardly and strength in the applicable muscles we're going the more intervention route. I have at home exercises (more than just kegels), and will go there for electrical stim and biofeedback. She seems positive that this should make a significant difference for me. I'm cautiously optimistic. It messes with my head when I run because I'm always so worried about it.

Hopefully your doctor has some suggestions. There are options. If you don't like the options they give, ask for other ones. I wish my previous doctor and the GYN who confirmed my prolapses would have better represented the PT options. It would have been nice to run and not pee my pants.

• Like 1