Menu

What's a good middle name that goes with first name "Ann"?

jana_suzanne

Our family has both Ann and Anne spellings and both are common enough that she'll have to say Anne with an e or Ann without an e, most of the time anyway.  I prefer Anne.

Anne Elise or Ann Elise : my first choice.   

• Like 1

I don't really love the name "Nicole," but Anne Nicole flows nicely. How about other N names? Anne Noelle. M might fit also--

Anne McKinley (but I would never be able to resist the urge to call her Annie Mac, 'cause that would be adorable)

Anne Michaela

If you were in the South, of course you would add a family last name and call her by the double name of Ann Colton or Ann Campbell or somesuch.

Anne Nicole makes me think of Anna Nicole smith

• Like 1

Anne (always with an E!) Marie was my first thought as well, maybe because that's my daughter's best friend's name. There have been lots of other great suggestions. I love the idea of Anne Shirley, but I wouldn't choose a middle name ending in y with a last name ending in y. I think Anne Charlotte or Anne Katherine would also be good. 

I think you need a second name with the accent on the second syllable. Why not have a look at composed French names that start with Anne? There are a ton of them, and they often are accented on the second syllable eg Anne-Cécile, Anne-Florence, Anne-Alice. I prefer Ann, no e.

I think with the name Ann(e) you will likely always have to quickly mention if it is with or without and "e". I think a good number of people are familiar with Anne of Green Gables. :)

I think Anne looks elegant.

Anne Christine

Anne Marie

Anne Elise

I'm an Ann-without-an-e, and I was slightly traumatized the first time I saw Anne of Green Gables around age seven. (I didn't read the books until I was 10). My middle name is Elizabeth, thus the E in my screen name. The other Ann(e)s I know are pretty evenly split with and without 'e's. I do love my middle name though. I think it flows perfectly.

I'm having trouble finding a middle name for baby girl (we're expecting!) that goes well with first name "Ann".        Any ideas?

(Our last name is Guidry (pronounced: Gid (rhymes with bid)-dree(rhyhmes with flee) :-) 

Also....

My husband likes Ann without an E (Anne) because he thinks she'll have to constantly spell it for people/correct people (on official documentation) and have them add the E.  

I want the Anne (with the e) because of Anne of Green Gables and the rationale Anne gives for needing the -e at the end: "Print out Ann and it looks dreadful, but Anne with an e is quite distinguished" (if I'm recollecting the quote correctly) :-)

Would you spell it Ann or Anne?

:-)

I think the opposite and would spell Anne with an "e" and someone would have to tell me to spell it without an "e".

As for a middle name Ann Elyse, Ann Marie, Ann Margaret.

Ann with our without an e will be spelling her name to folks forever, but it is not a big deal. My name can end in y or ie or i and I am always having to either correct folks or compliment them for getting it correct on the first try.

Now ya'all can try and guess my first name hahaha

I'd do with an e since odds are she will end up being called Annie as a nickname anyway. 

Edited by JFSinIL

My Aunt Ann always has to tell people "without an e" and I see Anne far more than Ann so I think your husband has it reversed.

Anne with an E is my strong preference.

I like

Anne Isolde

Anne Terese

Anne Elizabeth

Anne Josephine

Anne Michele

Anne Cecilia

Anne Christine

Anne Catherine

Anne Pershing

Anne Persephone

Anne Rebekah

Anne Eleanor

Anne Jacqueline

Anne Gabrielle

Absolutely Anne. With an E. It feels so incomplete otherwise, like a shortened version of something else.  I see Ann as a nickname.

And what sort of dh would deny an Anne of Green Gables association?! Cannot compute! <3

As for middle names, I also have the opinion that 3 syllables sounds the most pleasant and complete/professional.  Have you any names in your family history that night work? I always like to start with family in naming.  

I'm partial to the old fashioned.  Eleanore, Claudia, Cordelia, Amelia,  and the like. I'd look at your familial past (first initials, if not whole names) and then decide. 

How exciting to be naming a new baby! 

Edited by LibraryLover
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, DH and I couldn't agree on a spelling for Katherine/Catherine and so daughter has an entirely different name. Also, both spellings of Ann are so common that you'll always have to spell them for people anyway.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I would tend to pick a 2nd name that I liked for itself.  Then see if it went ok with the first name.  I have hated to have the middle name be a throwaway name just because it sounds like it goes with the first.  (And there were people advocating for names for our 2nd daughter because they thought it would sound good with the name of our first daughter.... uh, no.  We weren't producing matched sets but individuals)

We've tended to pick family names as middle names -- names we wouldn't consider for a first name because it would be confusing or too common or too old fashioned.

Spelling it with an E or without is going to cause her the same problems.  People are still going to have to ask and still spell it wrong no matter which it is.  So pick the one you like best.  (Or name her Anna and call her Anne....)

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!     You all are right -- she'll have to clarify with or without the e no matter how it is spelled so shouldn't decide based on that.

Lots of great suggestions; I'm strongly considering four of these.

Thanks again!

I'm an Ann-without-an-e, and I was slightly traumatized the first time I saw Anne of Green Gables around age seven. (I didn't read the books until I was 10). My middle name is Elizabeth, thus the E in my screen name. The other Ann(e)s I know are pretty evenly split with and without 'e's. I do love my middle name though. I think it flows perfectly.

Elizabeth is a GORGEOUS middle name. My very favorite. But it is very common.

Edited by vonfirmath