Menu

My 17yo Son Shipped Out to Basic Training a Week Ago

Rjmakmom

He's wanted to join the Army since he was 8yo, but I can't believe he's actually gone. The house seems so empty without him. He'll be at Fort Jackson, SC until late late April, then Ft. Lee, VA for 13 weeks. He went in as a wheel mechanic, so after training he can be stationed anywhere in the world, since wheeled vehicles are everywhere. My girls are having a tough time with him leaving, especially my 15yo- they are really close. Prayers would be appreciated as we all adjust to this new life.

• Like 24

Congrats to your DS for having his dream come true!   The first weeks require one to make adjustments,  and there is a lot of running, etc., but after that, everything becomes "normal" and hopefully he will be happy that he joined.  You will be able to keep in touch via Skype, WhatsApp, etc. 

Thank you for your family's service. 

I don't imagine it is any easier for a child to go away to college then it is for them to join the military. A child leaving home is hard anyway you slice it. I hope your daughter and son continue to have a close relationship and that your son is able to do what he always dreamed of.

• Like 1

Actually, it is a bit different. Parents can communicate with kids who leave for college; communication with kids in basic training is severely limited.

I didn't know. I am sorry if I offended.

I always thank any person in military uniform (or police for that matter) but I know very little about it. 

He's wanted to join the Army since he was 8yo, but I can't believe he's actually gone. The house seems so empty without him. He'll be at Fort Jackson, SC until late late April, then Ft. Lee, VA for 13 weeks. He went in as a wheel mechanic, so after training he can be stationed anywhere in the world, since wheeled vehicles are everywhere. My girls are having a tough time with him leaving, especially my 15yo- they are really close. Prayers would be appreciated as we all adjust to this new life.

Awww.  I'm sorry.  That must be tough.  Praying.

Actually, it is a bit different. Parents can communicate with kids who leave for college; communication with kids in basic training is severely limited.

:iagree:  Except for letters! Letters are the best thing ever when you're in Basic Training. I had friends send me postcards because they'd let us hang them up, and it was nice to get new pictures regularly.

• Like 6

I went through this two years ago when my son went to Marine boot camp, so I feel for you. It really is an odd experience. I don't know about the Army, but there is a very active Facebook page for parents of Marine recruits. Once I found it, it was really good to connect with other parents going through the same thing. You might search Facebook for similar Army groups or ask your son's recruiter.

My son is stationed in North Carolina, so he gets home several times a year, but it's still not easy when he leaves. You'd think I'd be used to it after two years.

Praying for you and your son!

• Like 1

I've been there twice and I'm still there. Our oldest 2 sons wanted to go into Airforce since middle school, so each went in right after high school. They did wonderfully and have loved every minute.

The bad part is being deployed, which happened to oldest twice. After his second deployment he couldn't handle doing anything and started having nightmares and considering suicide. December 12th he was honorably discharged due to being 50% disabled due to PTSD and MDD. He had served just over 4 years and attained the rank of staff sergeant. He gets a retirement check and disability but he's yet gotten his papers to start seeing a counselor at the VA, so I've put my counseling degree to work a little and we've loved and supported him here at home. He's considering using all that money for college and finishing his degree at Purdue.

Our other son loves it so much he's going to put in his 20 years and retire. Neither has regretted their decision.

• Like 2

:iagree: Yes, it really is different. We got one phone call in the middle of the first night saying "I'm here, I'm fine. You'll get information on where to write to me. Good-bye.*CLICK*"  They were also allowed a 15 minute call on Father's Day. Other than that we could only communicate by letters. They weren't allowed to receive food, magazines, newspapers, phone calls, texts, or anything else. They would be punished for anything other than a letter and their phones were confiscated. It's tough on a mom!

:grouphug:  I did my Basic Training at Fort Jackson. It's a good place, he'll do great there. A lot of really hard work, but when I was there the people in charge were genuinely concerned for our safety and well-being. I have a lot of fond memories from Basic Training.

I too did Basic Training at Fort Jackson. My mother flew to my graduation and told my drill sergeant, "Thank you for doing in 12 weeks what I couldn't do in 17 years." I started college at 19 a completely different person, and I still credit my academic success to the discipline the Army instilled in me. This will be a lifechanging experience for him. Thank you both for your service.  :grouphug:

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

BTDT

Go Army Parents was very, very helpful for me when my son was in Basic in '11.

http://goarmyparents.com/but they have a Facebook page now that you might prefer.

ds is still grateful to me for writing EVERY DAY WITHOUT FAIL even when he wasn't able to write me back. What he missed most was music. I wrote the lyrics of his favourite songs in the margins of his letters. He really appreciated that and they either didn't mind or we didn't get caught.

I didn't want to get a cell phone but ds wound up giving me his when I found myself not wanting to leave the house for fear of missing one of those 3 minute phone calls. He still pays the bill for it even though he had to replace the actual physical object twice, once when I dropped it and another time when it became obsolete. ;)

I hope you're able to go to your ds' graduation--I couldn't, but he bought me a DVD.

Basic really did change him, but for the better. It also changed me. I do not need to know anything more about you than the subject line of this thread to accept you as family.

Please feel free to PM me if you need to. I have a younger child and health issues so I don't always see everything here.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

Been there. My son left for the Navy in November. He was in basic for Thanksgiving and Christmas- graduated New Years Eve. Prayers. It was the hardest thing I have ever done as a mom- dropping him at the recruiting station before he shipped out. He is doing well now in his school- graduates mid July- but from homeschool mom to no contact for 9 weeks was tough! Now we talk several times a week.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My son graduated Basic Combat Training a week ago today. Family Day and Graduation were 2 of the most amazing things I've ever seen. He's doing well, we got to spend almost 4 whole days together while we transported him to Ft. Lee, VA where he'll be for the next 13 weeks while in school for his MOS. He's pretty sure he's going to Korea for a year after, and don't know how I'm going to handle that, but one step at a time. 

• Like 16