Menu

*Not* outsourcing High School English-- what are you using at home

Locally, everyone outsources high school English with either online or local classes.  We are currently doing Potter's School English 1.  It is a good course, but very grammar heavy. English 2 is grammar heavy also, and I don't really want that at this point.  So-- if you have taught writing at home for high school, what resources did you use?

• Like 1

We didn't outsource 9th. I used Windows to the World (loved it!) and lit and writing from Tapestry of Grace.

For my upcoming 9th grader I am strongly considering Sharon Watson's books: Illuminating Literature and Power in Your Hands. She'll do Windows in 8th grade.

• Like 2

For my 9th grader this year, we are using the following for English:

Seton High School Grammar

Seton Composition

Abeka Vocabulary, Spelling and Poetry III

Memoria Press guides for D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (fall semester) and Coolidge's Trojan War (spring semester)

Figuratively Speaking (spring semester)

We also read all the "ancient" related excerpts from Graphic Canon, and she wrote a tiny response paragraph on each.  (fall semester)

Lots of real books.

For 10th grade, my current plan for English is:

Abeka Grammar and Composition IV

Abeka Vocabulary, Spelling and Poetry IV

The "medieval" portions of Abeka English Literature.

We will read all the "medieval" excerpts from Graphic Canon, and she will write a tiny response paragraph on each.

Lots of real books.

I may also throw Yoga for the Brain in there somewhere.

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 1

We use Essentials in Writing for writing (& grammar review- included in middle school levels)

Literature guides (free online from Glencoe ) for my own made up list of lit for each grade level.

(I looked at Lightening Lit, but decided the free guides were almost as good & I could choose which books we used then)

Plenty of child chosen reading

Creative writing or journaling with prompts (gleaned from random online lists)

Attendance at as many local theater productions as I can drag them to, & participation in one production per year.

Oh, we did some spelling using the most commonly misspelled word list & most commonly used lists too.

Next year though, I'm outsourcing writing only so someone else can critique;). Perhaps Bravewriter, Write at Home, or DE at CC, haven't decided.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

We match our literature period to our history period (over the year, not exactly). Our history text includes a lot of information on the literature, art, and music of each place and time, so it's easy to page through the chapter summaries and recommended reading to make a list to choose from. 

Some works we read and discuss, some works we go into more assignments and depth, and some works and styles I just make sure they are aware of for cultural literacy. 

We don't use a specific text or program, but I will use study guides and texts to pull explanations and context, and to get ideas for assignments. I like to have lots of resources on my shelf - for inspiration, but also so if I drop the ball with planning and creativity, we have a 'standard' backup and don't fall behind. I have lots of literature and writing texts that I pick up cheap at the library book fair. 

I also trawl the internet for ideas, because there are some amazing teachers out there. 

We don't do spelling, grammar, or vocabulary as separate components. 

Next year though, I'm outsourcing writing only so someone else can critique;). Perhaps Bravewriter, Write at Home, or DE at CC, haven't decided.

Check with your library - mine has an online writing lab where you can submit papers (and what the assignment was) and get feedback within a couple of days. Very handy, and free!

• Like 6

My son will be in 9th grade next year.  He'll be using Spelling You See Level E (he's got dyslexia and SYS helps him a lot - by high school my now-4th grader will not need spelling since he's doing level E of SYS right now), Analytical Grammar, Writing With Skill 3, and will be reading books from the list in WTM (he reads with immersion reading and then we discuss what he read each day).

OK I have no experience beyond the last quarter and today LOL So, I'm no expert.... My 9th grader and I are making it up. He's a little bit of a reluctant homeschooler so I'm very focused on appealing to him right now.

He's working his way through " The Best Grammar Workbook Ever"

We're choosing Lit for ourselves. It's not a very classical list, nor even as challenging as it might be... but it's in keeping with what the PS is doing and everything on the list appealed to my kid.  So far, we've done Animal Farm (carryover from his PS), The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Once and Future King, and this week we're starting with The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.... for Spring we've also got on tap: "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County", The Martian Chronicles, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Night, October Sky, Call of the Wild and a small poetry unit. (or at least that's the current plan) (He also read: To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men and a few other selections of short stories in PS before he left.)

He reads eclectically for pleasure and has other readings for other topics.

He does a vocab list on vocabulary.com to correspond with each piece of selected literature. When he's mastered that list, he works on an SAT prep list. He's doing an additional creative writing credit this quarter with help of his Writing group at the local library and some additional resources for fiction writing.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 4

My 9th grader is using Oak Meadow English 1- A Hero's Journey. He is really enjoying it. He's also using a separate vocabulary book, and reads (and sees) several plays each semester for an acting class. (He's going to take a refresher grammar class this semester because of an ld. I think it will help his writing.)

• Like 1

By 9th grade, if they've got grammar down, we focus solely on writing.  I've used Excellence in Literature, Power in Your Hands, and research projects for science and history.  

My #1 goal for my high schoolers in English is to be able to write papers well, and to be able to express themselves clearly in all of their writing.  The focus has been a bit different for each of them.  My oldest is a creative writer and we often worked on fiction writing with her, with a push for formal essay writing the last two years.  One of my twins does not do well with the creative side of writing at all (she just doesn't operate that way) and we've focused mainly on literature analysis and formal essays.  My other twin has done well with a mix of writing assignments.  

• Like 4

We've used IEW, WWS and currently Lost Tools of Writing. LTW is not only a terrific writing program but a fantastic critical thinking program. It incorporates whatever lit you are using. 

I also created a Creative Writing class I taught in a co-op, incorporating the Grammar of Poetry, reading about creative writing and many creative writing assignments. 

By 9th grade, if they've got grammar down, we focus solely on writing.  I've used Excellence in Literature, Power in Your Hands, and research projects for science and history.  

My #1 goal for my high schoolers in English is to be able to write papers well, and to be able to express themselves clearly in all of their writing.  The focus has been a bit different for each of them.  My oldest is a creative writer and we often worked on fiction writing with her, with a push for formal essay writing the last two years.  One of my twins does not do well with the creative side of writing at all (she just doesn't operate that way) and we've focused mainly on literature analysis and formal essays.  My other twin has done well with a mix of writing assignments.  

This is my goal as well.  Grammar is important, but I don't want  the emphasis to be grammar.  Do you feel like Excellence in Literature teaches *how* to write, or just provides good prompts?

We mainly did literature guides (either Progeny Press or Novel Units).  I would do between 4-5 a year depending on the books.  I also used Jensen's Vocabulary.  For sd's senior year we used Movies As Literature and that was an amazing program.  Sd said it helped her in some of her college courses.

• Like 1

(with Teaching Company lectures thrown in.)

We use lots of Teaching Company lectures as well. For English, we loved The Art of Reading and really liked Analysis and Critique: How to Engage and Write About Anything. 

Also used and enjoyed The Western Literary Canon in Context and The English Novel.

• Like 3

We used Excellence in Literature for all non-outsourced high school English. There is no explicit writing instruction though. They do write papers and there are examples and grading rubrics.

My oldest went from that to AP English and from there to college with no problems.

My youngest went from there to Blue Tent Honors English 2 (which we didn't like) and then to College Composition at the CC. 

• Like 1

We used Excellence in Literature for all non-outsourced high school English. There is no explicit writing instruction though. They do write papers and there are examples and grading rubrics.

My oldest went from that to AP English and from there to college with no problems.

My youngest went from there to Blue Tent Honors English 2 (which we didn't like) and then to College Composition at the CC. 

Would you mind sharing what you didn't like? Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

• Like 1

Can you (or your son) tell me what he's enjoying about it? I'm trying to sell it to my dd, but she's reluctant to try something new.

He said that he enjoys the reading selections and casual tone of the program. I think that means that he has no idea why he likes it, but he does. It doesn't provide as much hand holding with writing as he needs, so he's also going to read and implement The Lively Art of Writing. (I think that's the correct title.)

Locally, everyone outsources high school English with either online or local classes. We are currently doing Potter's School English 1. It is a good course, but very grammar heavy. English 2 is grammar heavy also, and I don't really want that at this point. So-- if you have taught writing at home for high school, what resources did you use?

Locally, everyone outsources high school English with either online or local classes. We are currently doing Potter's School English 1. It is a good course, but very grammar heavy. English 2 is grammar heavy also, and I don't really want that at this point. So-- if you have taught writing at home for high school, what resources did you use?

[/quote

We have done a couple of Bravewriter classes but, other than that, mostly Sonlight writing assignments and writing assignments for Understanding the Times. On top of that both older girls have done own writing - one creative/novels and the other poetry. I also have then complete 'Our Mother Tongue' for grammar.

Edited by LindaOz

For English related topics we've used:

Witty Wordsmith and Barbarian Diagrammarian through the Lukeion Project

Easy Grammar and Daily Grams series

Worldly Wise 3000

Excellence in Literature

Crafting the Essay and Writing Analysis & Persuasion through CTY Online

Muse on the Loose/Reloosed through the Lukeion Project

Introduction to Literary Analysis by Jill Pike (using Widows to the World)

Various literature lectures from The Teaching Company/Great Courses

We've also constructed literature courses either using units from EiL or of our own creation.  We've used poetry anthology and literature anthology plus novels and plays to pull together lit courses.  We've also created, submitted, and received approval for an AP Lit course of our own design.

I have two kids in high school and both have used combinations of these elements, they may not have used all of them throughout every grade but these are the resources we have drawn on.

Currently, for 9th grade:

Lively Art of Writing

I might use The Great Grammar Book with him as well, since I was just given a copy for tutoring.

Plans for 10th:

Writing With a Thesis

Writing across the curriculum

Maybe: Excavating English, for fun

11th-12th:

Writing across the curriculum, maybe a cc class (I know...that's outsourcing. But he's planning on working toward an AA bit by bit.)

9th Grade:

Literature:  Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings & Units on Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, A Connecticut Yankee.. from Excellence in Literature

Composition:  Lively Art of Writing

Grammar:  Reviews every other week from Analytical Grammar

Vocabulary:  Vocabulary from Classical Roots

10th Grade (tentative plans):

Literature: Excellence in Literature

Composition:  IEW SICC-B?

Grammar:  Reviews every other week from Analytical Grammar

Vocabulary:  Vocabulary from Classical Roots

I'd love to hear what wasn't a good fit for your son with this class, too. It's on my short list of online English classes for dd. Thank you!

• Like 1

My dd will be in 9th next year, and I plan to use either Oak Meadow English 9 or Lightning Lit+Lively Art of Writing+Grammar for College Writing. I want to use the former; dd wants to use the latter. ;)

Tara - have you seen Lightning Lit?  I found it to be a lot of busywork.  Not enough depth for me.

I have not seen the whole program. I have only seen the samples they have online for 9th grade and some of what my friend's 8th grader is doing. I'm willing to tweak and modify if I feel like there is busywork. I'm mainly just tired of trying to figure out how to schedule three different LA programs (lit, grammar, writing) and want someone else to do it for me. But I would love to hear what types of things you felt were busywork-y about it!

I've done a mix of outsourcing a little and doing much at home through high school English.

Teaching the classics (dvd program) teaches mom well on how to discuss literature

Lots of literature and discussions

They Say, I Say

Grammar

Various poetry

Shakespeare unit and plays

Writing (much of the initial writing instruction has been outsourced to Bravewriter and then we take it from there)

Excellence in Literature - mostly for the rabbit trails with whatever we are reading

As my boys write, I evaluate what they still need to learn about grammar (and writing) and go from there.

• Like 1

We haven't finished high school yet, so take this with a grain of salt and all ... ;)

But this is what we've done so far and what we are planning for the next couple years. At this point he is planning on possibly taking a CC course or 2, but likely for fun electives and the experience, not for a core class. And our budget/not always reliable internet connection make outsourcing undesirable.

9th - WttW over about 26 weeks and then EiL units on the Odyssey and Julius Caesar (to go along with our ancient history studies) - AG review book to keep grammar skills sharp - VCR for vocab

10th - 6 misc. EiL units of his choice, some go with our medieval history studies and some don't - some misc. writing assignments from the Student Writing Handbook - another AG review book - finish up VCR

11th - I'm nervous about this, but so far we're looking at trying for a homecooked AP Eng Lang and Comp course - I've got the IEW book and the Cliff's Notes book and Thank You for Arguing - he'll also read about 7 classics - his grammar is solid and so we'll drop AG

12th - not completely sure, but looking at some modern lit units from EiL and a speech class and maybe a poetry unit from Progeny Press

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DD is in 10th grade this year and we have been using a mix of different curricula. Main literature studies come from Excellence in Literature, I purchased all 5 years used, so we pick and choose which books to read based on interest in the subject or time period. We also use Fix-It grammar since she didn't have much formal grammar instruction in public school, where she was thru grade 7. She writes papers from the EIL lessons and occasionally takes a Bravewriter class online. We have Lost Tools of Writing and Expository Essay (IEW) on the shelf, so if she needs help with a paper she uses them as resources, but isn't working her way through the whole program.

Last year she also did some lit discussion with Center for Lit class. They had an option where you could pick books from any of the lit classes they were offering and kind of make your own class. I don't think they are offering that option this year, though.

• Like 2

Tara - have you seen Lightning Lit? I found it to be a lot of busywork. Not enough depth for me.

Sorry, totally misread that. In my mind you were speaking of OM, not LL.

I have not seen the complete program for LL 9th grade, but my dd currently uses and enjoys LL8 after also using and enjoying LL7.

I'd like to hear what you think is busyworkish about LL.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 1

Sorry, totally misread that. In my mind you were speaking of OM, not LL.

I have not seen the complete program for LL 9th grade, but my dd currently uses and enjoys LL8 after also using and enjoying LL9.

I'd like to hear what you think is busyworkish about LL.

You didn't ask me but I will answer you anyway:

We  did LL 7 and LL8 and enjoyed them both.The LL high school guide we are using now is not at all like LL7 and LL8 (a lot of instruction and practice). We are doing LL American to add to the Ă‚Â½ credit of literature from BF and basically it is a list of comprehension questions and essays to write (no writing instruction). Some literary terms are explained but not in detail. There arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t any exercises to practice them either.

I am almost sure we will use Ă¢â‚¬Å“When Worlds CollideĂ¢â‚¬ next year. We need more guidance. I am a math and science person (and English is not my native language). So maybe that is why it is not a good fit for us.

• Like 2

One resource we used was Workbook for Arguments. This is an extended study of the Rulebook for Arguments listed in the WTM. It was a portion of our English credit. We also tied literature to history or some other theme, mostly using individual guides or reading according to one of the literary lectures from SWB - which one escapes me right now. 

My son was a reluctant writer - so something like Essentials in Writing worked well for him. We did a grammar refresher at the beginning of high school with Rod & Staff 7. 

We used Great Courses for some of the heavier literature selections, definitely for Iliad and Odyssey. We also pulled from one of their short story lecture series and the book itself was inexpensive (older used copy) on Amazon. 

One program never worked as ds had varying abilities across the English spectrum. Component products worked better for us. 

The grammar is one of the reasons we aren't doing TPS. For ring language will be covering grammar for the purpose of teaching it. It's ridiculous IMO to cover so much grammar in high school. Another reason is that the reviews of TPsS writing is that if is **extremely** formulaic. It sounds like a frustration.

Anyway, for 9th grade my son will be using MFW's 10th grade Writing and Lit program, and I will be grading all of his writing using a rubric.

I am a tough grader when it comes to writing but not an overly formulaic one :) rubrics are helpful but taking a point off for every word that doesn't match a detailed formula isn't my thang.

The grammar is one of the reasons we aren't doing TPS. For ring language will be covering grammar for the purpose of teaching it. It's ridiculous IMO to cover so much grammar in high school. Another reason is that the reviews of TPsS writing is that if is **extremely** formulaic. It sounds like a frustration.

Anyway, for 9th grade my son will be using MFW's 10th grade Writing and Lit program, and I will be grading all of his writing using a rubric.

I am a tough grader when it comes to writing but not an overly formulaic one :) rubrics are helpful but taking a point off for every word that doesn't match a detailed formula isn't my thang.

We won't use Potter's School English again. 

Check with your library - mine has an online writing lab where you can submit papers (and what the assignment was) and get feedback within a couple of days. Very handy, and free!

How awesome, never knew of it and researched and we have it at our library as well.  Great resource, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1