Menu

Pop Quiz: If the ancient mesopotamians grew corn, what did they have to eat? Update post 69

138 members have voted

1. 1. Two books I recently read said the ancient mesopotamians grew corn... so what did they have to eat?

• Popcorn
    • Maize
    • Oats
    • Einkorn
    • Other

Those of you who didn't know that 'corn' was a generic word meaning 'grain'- where did you think the word came from? If the settlers didn't apply a familiar word to an unfamiliar crop, how did you think it was coined?

Well, tomato is a Spanish take of a Nahuatl word and chili is a Nahuatl word. There are plenty of foods from the Americas which still use names either from or derived from actual American nation's words for foods that colonizers used and we still use. I guess they coined these terms by communicating with locals like most of us now would probably do for things we found unfamiliar things in a strange place. It would explain why so many died from unprepared maize...

I asked my British husband, who is trained as an archaeological scientist who made displays in museums, and he says he would assume any modern text using the word corn would mean maize or sweetcorn unless it was a direct quote from someone in the appropriate time and then they would put the modern term in brackets if in a museum or education piece for clarity. Putting forward something that presumes knowledge of archaic use of language would not work. 

He is also the type who will tell off the TV regularly if there is history programme on that is wrong and/or putting forth the most sensational and usually least supported choice out of a range of choices so I imagine many others are more flexible than him about this ;) 

• Like 11

Those of you who didn't know that 'corn' was a generic word meaning 'grain'- where did you think the word came from? If the settlers didn't apply a familiar word to an unfamiliar crop, how did you think it was coined?

The same place any other word comes from?  Invented, or adopted from the people who gave it to them, or borrowed from an old language for a new use.  I wouldn't assume that potato was a generic word for root veg.

• Like 6

I think that's confusing terminology for an American audience. Most Americans don't know "corn" can mean anything but "maize." I know that... but the way I know it was reading statements like that in history books, getting confused, and seeking out a clarification. So now, years down the road, I know. But I think to 90% or more of Americans that would be misleading. My understanding is that Brits and other English speakers may use the broader definition more often.

This fall as I've been reading Robinson Crusoe to my dd is the first time I had ever heard "corn" used to mean something other than "maize!" It was obvious from the context that he didn't mean maize (he talked about harvesting rice), but I assumed it was a word that had changed over time--and not that it might still be used in a broader sense elsewhere. Learned something new!

• Like 1

Maybe that is a weird question, and a bit off a tangent...

I grew up Christian, and even though there were modern Bible German translations, people are familiar with the most important stories in the words of the Luther bible, since that was the first German translation. It plays a big role for the language. Luther's, to the modern ear slightly archaic, German is intimately associated with the feeling of biblical language.

So does the King James Bible not play a comparable role in the English speaking world? Are American Christians exposed to it? If so, do people then imagine Joseph actually seeing ears of maize in his dream, since the word "corn" is used there? I mean, it's one of those important stories every child who is exposed to the Bible encounters - so most people must have images in their minds.

I know about the illustration Maize encountered, so there must be at least one clueless illustrator, but is that actually the prevailing image?

Just curious, since this was one of my favorite childhood bible stories.

ETA: And archaic bible translations are extremely vocabulary enriching.. I learned words that I have never heard in any other text.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I grew up Christian, and even though there were modern Bible German translations, people are familiar with the most important stories in the words of the Luther bible, since that was the first German translation. It plays a big role for the language. Luther's, to the modern ear slightly archaic, German is intimately associated with the feeling of biblical language.

So does the King James Bible not play a comparable role in the English speaking world? Are American Christians exposed to it? If so, do people then imagine Joseph actually seeing ears of maize in his dream, since the word "corn" is used there? I mean, it's one of those important stories every child who is exposed to the Bible encounters - so most people must have images in their minds.

I know about the illustration Maize encountered, so there must be at least one clueless illustrator, but is that actually the prevailing image?

ETA: And archaic bible translations are extremely vocabulary enriching.. I learned words that I have never heard in any other text.

I am fairly certain that it was in Sunday School that I learned corn = grain and that what we call "corn" in the U.S. is called maize in other countries.

• Like 3

yes. Botanically, fresh corn kernels are fruit.

Corn isn't a vegetable because vegetables are the parts of plants that do not contain the seed bearing structures.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/fruit-vegetable-difference/bgp-20056141

I only meant that here at least, many parents of stubborn toddlers may say "yes, my johny ate a vegetable for supper. He ate corn."

My older parents were taught that corn is a vegetable, and it is about the only "vegetable" they eat

Edited by athomeontheprairie

Yes - only in American English.  Merriam Webster's second definition gives 'corn' to mean whatever is the dominant grain crop in an area, including oats in Scotland:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/corn

Interestingly, Merriam Webster seems to imply that Scotland is not part of Britain....

The second definition, pfft, who reads that?

Seriously though, this is all very interesting. I knew other countries called it maize but I had no idea "corn" was so widely used to mean grain. Today I learned!

Also, the midwife told me that corn gets counted as a half fruit/vegetable, half grain, as do potatoes. They did that to be nice. "But," she clarified, "It's not really. We just don't want to discourage people from eating real food." I had the best midwife in the world. :)

• Like 3

The second definition, pfft, who reads that?

Seriously though, this is all very interesting. I knew other countries called it maize but I had no idea "corn" was so widely used to mean grain. Today I learned!

Also, the midwife told me that corn gets counted as a half fruit/vegetable, half grain, as do potatoes. They did that to be nice. "But," she clarified, "It's not really. We just don't want to discourage people from eating real food." I had the best midwife in the world. :)

Sweet corn actually has a pretty decent nutritional profile, different from that of grain corn.

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/sweet-corn.html

• Like 3

Well, tomato is a Spanish take of a Nahuatl word and chili is a Nahuatl word. There are plenty of foods from the Americas which still use names either from or derived from actual American nation's words for foods that colonizers used and we still use. I guess they coined these terms by communicating with locals like most of us now would probably do for things we found unfamiliar things in a strange place. It would explain why so many died from unprepared maize...

That makes sense: 'corn' just sounds like such an Old English one-syllable word to me that I wouldn't think beyond that, I suppose.

• Like 1

That makes sense: 'corn' just sounds like such an Old English one-syllable word to me that I wouldn't think beyond that, I suppose.

We do use an awful lot of Native American derived words in the US, they make up a significant proportion of our place names alone. We probably don't differentiate as easily between native English and loan words. Squash doesn't sound particularly less English than corn to me.

• Like 5

My children's Bible showed corn stalks. I specifically remember counting them. I don't believe I've read that story in the Bible though, but I think I'm going to now.

For the purposes of ensuring a nutritional meal, we only count green veggies as vegetables which discludes potatoes, corn, carrots, squashes. A lot of time dinner guests will question why we have two or three vegetables with the meal.

• Like 1

And, after having been MIA for a few days, and having gotten further in SWB's book, I can say that in chapter 18 she writes that the Mesopotamians grew wheat (I'm assuming ancient versions like einkorn and emmer), and over time switched to barley. The switch from wheat to barley occurred because barley can handle more salty soils, and due to centuries of irrigation, the land in Mesopotamia was getting saltier and saltier.

I voted einkorn because I studied domestication of wheat, Neolithic revolution, and so on, in college. I love this poll, because it reassured me that at least part of my brain can still remember things, lol.

I also have a more recent memory of reading my kids Corn Is Maize, in the Let's Read and Find Out series, emphasizes American origin. I have the Science in Ancient Mesopotamia book too, don't remember the corn part, but would probably double check that the book was English. But corn can be a confusing word, IMO.

I remember seeing it illustrated the same way.

• 5 years later...

Although this *is* the perfect place to bring up that at just a few months ago I saw somebody claiming that the Bible must be literally true because Pharoah dreamed of seven ears of "corn", and since corn is not a Eurasian plant it must therefore have been a really long-term prophecy, therefore God.

If your brain hurts trying to work that one out, I get it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/31/2015 at 12:05 PM, Laura Corin said:

I am not in the US and I knew but I still think maize or pepper when corn is mentioned.  I them have to make an adjustment for time and place. It happened with something I read recently..

• Like 1

Susan Wise Bower made a similar "pre-Columbian Exchange" mistake in Story of the World volume 1, but unlike Mesopotamia and corn, it wasn't something where she was just using an antiquated word.

Someone else on these forums caught this mistake in a previous post.   nmoira said "native North Americans ate wheat, a grain which was not actually introduced to North American until after 1600 A.C.E. This is a big deal because it's a high protein crop that helped make denser population and labour specialization possible in Europe, and for which there was no North American equivalent. I'm surprised this wasn't caught before the second edition."

(Previous Post:   Story of the World Errors:  )

Edited by goldenecho

On 12/30/2015 at 11:04 AM, regentrude said:

Really?

I read "corn" in its meaning as a synonym for "grain". I would think most people would know that it cannot refer to what Americans call "corn", i.e. maize. No way the Mesopotamians could have had that - no trade with the Americas yet.

No I do not see corn as synonym for grain. Maybe bc my husband is from Indiana, lol. Corn is decidedly, well corn, what you’re all referring to as maize.

now I do understand the world “grain” encompass a range of things, millet, wheat, oats, etc but “grain” is the generic term to me, not corn. Hmph.

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

No I do not see corn as synonym for grain. Maybe bc my husband is from Indiana, lol. Corn is decidedly, well corn, what you’re all referring to as maize.

now I do understand the world “grain” encompass a range of things, millet, wheat, oats, etc but “grain” is the generic term to me, not corn. Hmph.

I can see that in American English  but it's different in other forms of English.