Menu

S/O -- Did your family own a VW Bus?

Junie

VW Bus Question...  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Did your family own a VW Bus while you were growing up?

• Yes
    • No

red and white.  with the double doors (before the slider came out.)

it held more stuff/people than a station wagon.  my mom hated it because people were always trying to get her to drive for scouts, etc.

it's what I'll miss about replacing my minivan (I've driven one for 25 years).  the crossover suv I'm eyeing is smaller . . . . . dh keeps telling me we don't need all that space anymore . . .

• Like 1

Our bus was red and white.  My sister sat in the back (over the engine).  It was great in the winter, but in the summer it was torture.  And, of course, no air conditioning.

that was my brother's favorite spot.  and no a/c.

what year was yours?  ours was a 67. I do remember the chevy sedan it replaced . . .

• Like 1

that was my brother's favorite spot.  and no a/c.

what year was yours?  ours was a 67. I do remember the chevy sedan it replaced . . .

Your brother must have been crazy... lol

No idea what year it was.  I *think* that we got the van (used) in about 1984 -- when they were no longer cool and before they became cool again. 

Edited by Junie

We had several over the years, as well as a few Bugs (Beetles).  And my parents were far from the hippie type.  In fact my dad was older (43 when I was born) and a WW II veteran.  He came away from the war with a strong admiration for German engineering.  He loved working on those VWs, and got to the point that he could completely change out an engine in 30 minutes.  I think one reason he loved VWs so much was that there wasn't a thing on them he couldn't fix himself.  When my brother was five he asked for a VW motor for Christmas (and got it).  He went on to become a mechanical engineer. :D

ETA:  My parents still had a VW bus in the late 1970's.  It was the first vehicle I ever drove.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

We did when I was very young (up to 5 or 6).  My dad replaced it with a basic Ford Van in '72 or '73, then it became a dog house for our two German Shepherds.  The dogs were used to riding in it on trips and loved it as a dog house.

The Ford van only had two seats in it.  When we traveled as a family we put a crib mattress and two folding chairs in the back along with all our stuff.  The mattress was due to our traveling through the night - whoever wanted to could sleep on it for a little bit.

Sometimes I'm amazed we survived.

• Like 2

No, but the family of my BFF did. We loved playing in it.

We had a green VW 411 station wagon with vinyl seats. Those were always crazy hot, but we usually sat backwards in the seatless way back and annoyed other drivers behind us. It was a sad day when Dad mysteriously got rid of it for a regular sedan, and then much later a sedan with seat belts that we had to learn to use. He would still let me sleep in the (60/40 split) trunk on long road trips though. :)

Our family car was always sports cars. It can be very cramped being an only child!

1975 Chevette - only non sports car

1978 Camero

1985 Camero Berlinetta - total lemon of a car, engine needed to be replaced at a month old!

Parents divorced

Mom

1988 Celica convertible (had this till I left home)

Dad

1988 Camero

Suberu Bratt - this is a 2 seater "car". I think this is what he had when I left home.

My children came home in a 2007 Odyessy that we still have. Yeah I don't "stuff" my kids in anything!!

• Like 1

No VW bus...we did have a gray Beetle we called Herbie (hey, it was the mid-60s!)  as a kid I would stand on the running board while Mom backed down the driveway.

We did have those huge station wagons - the white one, with three rows of seats, we called the Saturn Five. One did not park that monster - one "docked" it.

• Like 2

We did--the turquoise and white one. I mentioned in the other thread we sometimes had the middle bench turned sideways and mom made curtains for it. I have no idea what year model but I know we had it from around my early to mid teens which was around late 70's. My "fondest" memory of that van was having to push it down the road so Mom could jump start it so she could take me to my bus stop 1.5 miles away--at 6 am.

(In case you're wondering why my bus stop was so far away, I went to a private school 2 cities over. There was a school bus option for outlying areas but it only picked up from one or two central stops in each area/town.)