Menu

Homeschool diploma for a student . . .

Daria

Have you considered the American School of Correspondence? Their diplomas are fully accredited and they have online options as well as paper-based options.

In your situation, I can understand why you would want a "real" (accredited) high school diploma for your son.

Do you know how flexible they are on kids transferring in?  How about letting kids substitute classes that don't have exactly the same titles?

DS has been taken classes through Florida Virtual's Global program.  I really like them, at least for him as a learner, and our district agreed to transfer the credits back last time.  They'll also take their AP credits for sure.  So, my first choice would be to have him continue taking courses through them, at least for the rest of this year.  

Unfortunately, Florida Virtual only offers their diploma to students in Florida.  Even if he took all the required Florida classes they wouldn't give him one.

• Like 1

I am an employer (via our small business, a vet hospital). We have employed at least 100 people over the 11+ years we've owned the practice, most of whom were entry level employees, some in college, some with just a high school degree.

I assure you that we've never given a fig where the diploma came from. 

The more important thing for employability would be helping him get some work experience at the ages 18-20 or so (maybe while attending community college part time?). Get one or two years of PT experience, ideally at least 6 months at one employer, and a good reference or two, and he'll be all set. 

• Like 6

Do you know how flexible they are on kids transferring in? How about letting kids substitute classes that don't have exactly the same titles?

DS has been taken classes through Florida Virtual's Global program. I really like them, at least for him as a learner, and our district agreed to transfer the credits back last time. They'll also take their AP credits for sure. So, my first choice would be to have him continue taking courses through them, at least for the rest of this year.

Unfortunately, Florida Virtual only offers their diploma to students in Florida. Even if he took all the required Florida classes they wouldn't give him one.

I have heard that they are very flexible and that many students use them to finish up their diplomas, but you could give them a call and explain your son's situation and see how they can help you. I have found the people there to be very helpful and caring.

I wish I had more specifics on transferring credits, but my ds started high school there, so there were no credits to transfer.

One additional advantage of American School is the price, which is very reasonable.

• Like 2

I have an equivalency. It never caused me an issue getting jobs or getting into colleges, even with a big pool of applicants. I keep hearing on these boards that there is a stigma but that has absolutely not been my experience. I've actually had a number of people be impressed when I tell them I left high school early for college and got an equivalency to save time and money.

I leave out all the mental health and family drama details that nobody need know, though ;)

Edited by Arctic Mama

I could not tell from you post if your son had an IEP. Have you considered that?

In my state, students who cannot be accommodated by local schools are frequently sent out of district. For example, a friend has a child -- academically bright -- who refused school, whatever was tried. Fast forward to a new school, staffed with in house psychologists, etc -- kid loves his new school.

Also, you mentioned hospitals. In many places, the threshold for getting hospital based instruction is lower for IEP students than for regular students. So, less wait time.

Just a thought.

ETA. For a kid in the system, there can be significant aid after 18 years old. Schools, job training, etc.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

The only person I've ever heard of having employment trouble with a GED was a school lunch lady who lost her job for not having a high school diploma; it was a condition of employment, and a GED didn't count. 

I have an equivalency. It never caused me an issue getting jobs or getting into colleges, even with a big pool of applicants. I keep hearing on these boards that there is a stigma but that has absolutely not been my experience. I've actually had a number of people be impressed when I tell them I left high school early for college and got an equivalency to save time and money.

I leave out all the mental health and family drama details that nobody need know, though ;)

• Like 1

I live in MD.  For homeschooling, I am required to register with the local school district, and have a HS review twice a year, but only until his 16th birthday.  I am not sure what our state's requirements are for diplomas, to be honest, because we were focused on getting back to school. 

Does anyone in MD have more info for me?

Why wouldn't the diploma you issue him be a real one? :confused1:  You would be the one standing next to him, teaching him, encouraging him, correcting him; choosing instructional materials and methods; evaluating him. Why would your diploma not be "real"?

Maryland doesn't have requirements for homeschoolers to be graduated. You decide yourself when your ds is ready (although most people go ahead and do 12 years just like school, even if the state doesn't require them to comply with anything after a certain age).

• Like 8

Why wouldn't the diploma you issue him be a real one? :confused1: You would be the one standing next to him, teaching him, encouraging him, correcting him; choosing instructional materials and methods; evaluating him. Why would your diploma not be "real"?

Maryland doesn't have requirements for homeschoolers to be graduated. You decide yourself when your ds is ready (although most people go ahead and do 12 years just like school, even if the state doesn't require them to comply with anything after a certain age).

I'm guessing that she is concerned that her homeschool diploma might cause problems for her ds if he chooses not to go to college, and applies for jobs that require a high school diploma. My assumption is that she wants to make things as easy as possible for him, and that not every employer is going to accept a diploma issued by his mom.

• Like 3

Can he get a homebound tutor to complete the school year? Also, it isn't a tragedy if it takes one more year for him to complete school, you know? 

There are several schools & universities that offer accredited high school diplomas:

The American School 

Blue Sky Online Charter School

Cyber Village Academy (MN Residents only)

George Washington University Online High School

Indiana University High School 

Mizzou Online - University of Missouri 

Stanford University EPGY Online High School

Texas Tech Independent School District 

There are also other schools that aren't accredited as well as various resources that offer independent classes. Let me know if you'd like the list I have - it's quite long. 

• Like 3

Why wouldn't the diploma you issue him be a real one? :confused1:  You would be the one standing next to him, teaching him, encouraging him, correcting him; choosing instructional materials and methods; evaluating him. Why would your diploma not be "real"?

I don't disagree with you in theory, but some companies are indeed very dogmatic about diplomas and paperwork. We've had more than one poster comment about needing a copy of the high school diploma years after graduating from college! 

In my area, many of the best 'no college required' jobs do require a high school diploma (high trades area). A GED will absolutely not do the trick, it must be a diploma, and I know that a few years ago a homeschool diploma did not qualify. I don't know if that's changed recently, but I'm sure it varies by area in any case. 

OP, if his anxiety is documented, might he qualify for homebound teaching? I don't think your state has a complete virtual school, but I do think they have some courses. Maybe they would allow for a mix of those and your own, with homebound teacher oversight, and issue him a diploma? Might be worth checking into. 

• Like 3

OP what grade is your DS in now?   I 2nd the idea of American School, or some other accredited school for him.  There are a few people on WTM with DC who are students of American School and I believe 1 or 2 have students who have graduated from there, or are themselves graduates.    One thing that will help your DS the most with his MH issues is if/when he can be under the care of a Psychologist/Psychiatrist that he likes.   GL to him!

• Like 1

I'd consider:

1. Can he stay in school and get sevices to accommodate his needs through an IEP. If he is identified sp. ed. He can stay in school until 22. Although you may want to review the reputation of your district (I'm dealing with a district, through my job, that works hard to get students over the age of 18 to sign them selves out of services and then they don't graduate)

2. Look at accredited online programs that offer diplomas. There are many that to this. In comparing you want to consider how much work and whether he can spread it out (work at his pace, not a prescribed timetable).

If you haven't already, you might want to contact NAMI and get involved in one of the family support programs. It may give you a chance to meet parents who have been down this road.

• Like 2

Edited by Daria
  • Like 1

Edited by Daria

I don't think a homeschool diploma is less "real".  I do worry that other people think that. I worry about my kid being 40, with gaps in his employment, telling a potential employer, or job training program, that he really does have a HS diploma, but his mom (and I could well be dead by then) wrote it, and not being believed.  If he also had an Associates, or a B.A., or a history of stable employment, I think they'd believe him for sure, but while we're still aiming for those things, I don't know that I can guarantee them.   So, I'd like for him to have that piece of paper.

However, I'm not sure how much priority I should place on that.  If my choices are that he does home/hospital, learns nothing but gets a diploma from our district, or is home schooled, learns a lot but gets a diploma from me . . . How do I weigh those choices?

You can buy a nice diploma and not have it say anything about homeschooling. Ds's does not simply because he may want to live abroad at some point and I wanted it to look traditional. His looks nicer than mine. The school name would be unfamiliar to locals, but as far as anyone outside the area would know, it's just a small private school. 

To issue the diploma, I would want to make sure you have the transcript to back it up, that's where the validity of the diploma comes from, not just from an accredited school.  I would research what minimal graduation requirements are for your state and form a game plan from there. You also might post this question on the high school board as some members don't check over on the chat board. 

• Like 1

Honestly, why couldn't he get a college degree, at least an AA, online? If online classes work for him, I'd be planning to do that. Let him live at home longer, take online college courses, and get some kind of certification or something that way. Maybe look into figuring out what jobs he can do from home as well. Medical transcription? 

• Like 3

I don't think a homeschool diploma is less "real".  I do worry that other people think that. I worry about my kid being 40, with gaps in his employment, telling a potential employer, or job training program, that he really does have a HS diploma, but his mom (and I could well be dead by then) wrote it, and not being believed.... So, I'd like for him to have that piece of paper.

Name your school.

Print an official looking diploma on certificate paper, with official sounding wording and the school name.

Omit the word "homeschool" on the diploma.

Give him the thing when he has satisfied your school's/state's graduation requirements.

Done. He has the piece of paper.

What is actually more important than this is a good transcript that shows the coursework he has taken in high school.

The existence of the diploma just serves to check a box.

• Like 4

Not quoting your last post, but noting that your district only accepts online credits for certain AP courses. For IEP students, diploma requirements are customized. The IEP trumps both individual scholl requirements and state requirements. For example, a student could be exempt from a foreign language requirement, yet still get a high school diploma. I was wondering if that could be a method to get the school to accept more online courses?

I am most familiar with my state, but I think the policy above is derived from federal law and may apply in all states.

• Like 2

Honestly, why couldn't he get a college degree, at least an AA, online? If online classes work for him, I'd be planning to do that. Let him live at home longer, take online college courses, and get some kind of certification or something that way. Maybe look into figuring out what jobs he can do from home as well. Medical transcription? 

I agree.  The key is to minimize stress.  So don't take a full load, for example. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 2

But did you then get a college degree?  I think that makes a big difference.

Daria: Your DS is already a Junior. He's almost there...   If there is any way he can continue doing what he's doing, I believe that will get him the H.S. Diploma from the PS, and is the quickest path to a diploma. I would suggest that he (possibly with you along, if he and his Psychologist are OK with that) sit down with his Psychologist and discuss how to handle the stress of the Junior year and Senior year in the PS.   If he can somehow do that, with your support/help and the support/help of his Psychologist, that would I believe, be best for him. And, with the help of his Psychiatrist of course.

If he was a Freshmen I would be much more encouraging about switching to some online school (Distance Learning), but he is already a Junior.

Question: What plans, if any, does he have post High School?

Does MD have any online charter virtual schools? A charter is a state-accredited public school, so a diploma from one is no different than from the regular high school. That would let him stay at home, with a program that's well organized to work from home.

• Like 1

But did you then get a college degree? I think that makes a big difference.

No I didn't. And no it really doesn't. In California I could have actually sued for discrimination if they refused to accept my equivalency as a stand in form a diploma. I never did complete college, I'm actually enrolled again right now.

And yet somehow I not only managed to hold multiple jobs and own multiple businesses of varying sizes, I also managed to apply and be selected by our governor to sit on a state board. My resume made it clear that at that point I hadn't worked in several years and was a high school and college dropout, but I killed the interview and it was clear neither of those lack of check boxes were because I was actually unqualified or unable to do either.

Like I said, I've not experienced any of this stigma and I cannot say I've known any adults who were not immigrants who have either. I can point to some adult immigrants who completed night school for GEDs and seemed to experience some shut doors, but truthfully the paper was the excuse, the reason was the struggle with English and people's hiring biases. A white student who is well educated, sad to say, is very unlikely to experience what an adult second language learner does.

I don't disagree with you in theory, but some companies are indeed very dogmatic about diplomas and paperwork. We've had more than one poster comment about needing a copy of the high school diploma years after graduating from college! 

*We* all know that because we've been here a long time. *She* doesn't know that; she's starting with the thought that her diploma isn't a real one, and I'm assuring her that it is. I believe it's better to start from that position--that her diploma is as valid as any other--than to offer up suggestions for other ways of graduating him.

Surely, she can keep a copy of her own child's diploma in perpetuity, which isn't the same thing as an employer not accepting it.

HSLDA has fought this battle for many, many of its members and won. It is another reason I recommend HSLDA membership.

You can buy a nice diploma and not have it say anything about homeschooling.  

Name your school.

Done. He has the piece of paper.

What is actually more important than this is a good transcript that shows the coursework he has taken in high school.

The existence of the diploma just serves to check a box.

I think the transcript is more important than the diploma if one is going to college, but the concern here is that he may not do so. 

The nice, 'standard' piece of paper will usually work when people are just using it to check off a box. In my area, many of the trade programs and various training setups are going to verify the existence of the school listed if it's not a state-issued diploma, and a homeschool diploma would not be accepted (up to a couple of years ago, I haven't heard of any changes). GED is also not accepted.  

Again, the opportunities and requirements vary by area, but it's a valid concern that I would research. 

OP, I'd consider full homebound with the idea of 'afterschooling' to strengthen the learning. 

• Like 2

I think the transcript is more important than the diploma if one is going to college, but the concern here is that he may not do so. 

The nice, 'standard' piece of paper will usually work when people are just using it to check off a box. In my area, many of the trade programs and various training setups are going to verify the existence of the school listed if it's not a state-issued diploma, and a homeschool diploma would not be accepted (up to a couple of years ago, I haven't heard of any changes). GED is also not accepted.  

Again, the opportunities and requirements vary by area, but it's a valid concern that I would research. 

OP, I'd consider full homebound with the idea of 'afterschooling' to strengthen the learning. 

Are you sure about that?  That makes no sense to me whatsoever. 

• Like 1

Are you sure about that? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Me too. A lack of experience can be cited, but not a lack of diploma. You can legally sub in an equivalency or GED wherever a diploma is required. I am not aware of any state that disallows that through their statutes and regs.

Dana, first, I am truly sorry. It's not an easy struggle. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My dd was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression her sophomore year of high school.  When we were standing in line at her high school waiting to register for her senior year, she panicked and decided she couldn't physically be in a classroom. Her school counselor was amazing in working with us to find a solution.  Technically, dd homeschooled using accredited sources like K12, Keystone, and BYU.  Because the coursework she did at home was accredited, the high school was able to transfer in her credits and issue her a formal diploma. It did take her longer than a full year to finish, but she's official.

Try checking with your son's school and see if they can do something similar for you, if you haven't already.

My heart is with you and your son.

• Like 3

Can you register a home school name in your state?  If so, give your school a public school sounding name and use that one on the diploma.  No one will know it is a home school diploma. 

Having  a home school diploma helps you as much as hurts you in our area.  Home schooling is very common, so it doesn't really carry as much of a stigma as other areas.  If the employee has had good experiences with home schooled kids, then they are often see in a better light than public school kids.They are often seen as hard working, smart, and kind employees.  If the person sees home school kids as quirky and naive....then it will work against them.  I don't think that you can really fight against this type of bias though, so having a homes school vs. district diploma may not matter. 

*What about the school in Maine that does a review of your credits and issues a "real" diploma?  Also a *cover school in TN though not backed by the state but they issue a diploma, I think.  As for College, He could possibly attend an online school for most of his classes and find a CC that accepted CLEPs and the APs for a significant amount of his work.  I wouldn't rule college out completely.  He may get better in the future or find a treatment/medication that will work better.

*Sorry, I don't remember the names right now.

*What about the school in Maine that does a review of your credits and issues a "real" diploma?  Also a *cover school in TN though not backed by the state but they issue a diploma, I think.  As for College, He could possibly attend an online school for most of his classes and find a CC that accepted CLEPs and the APs for a significant amount of his work.  I wouldn't rule college out completely.  He may get better in the future or find a treatment/medication that will work better.

*Sorry, I don't remember the names right now.

The cover school would be Home Life Academy. They'll work with you. I do know that they have restrictions on transferring in too late. I think Junior year would be OK, but I'm not sure on senior year. I believe they require the ACT.

Indiana University High School online;  I researched for similar reasons.

1. Highly rated, good reviews.
  2. Full accredited program.
  3. Student can "transfer" a certain number of credits from elsewhere and count toward accredited diploma program.

If your student can handle keeping a schedule and doing high school level work, I would definitely consider IU an option.  I haven't taken the plunge yet because we aren't ready for third-party feedback.  I use online classes but they are self-paced and graded by mom.   :hat:

• Like 1

Can you register a home school name in your state? If so, give your school a public school sounding name and use that one on the diploma. No one will know it is a home school diploma.

Having a home school diploma helps you as much as hurts you in our area. Home schooling is very common, so it doesn't really carry as much of a stigma as other areas. If the employee has had good experiences with home schooled kids, then they are often see in a better light than public school kids.They are often seen as hard working, smart, and kind employees. If the person sees home school kids as quirky and naive....then it will work against them. I don't think that you can really fight against this type of bias though, so having a homes school vs. district diploma may not matter.

Homeschooling is fairly common in our area, but I do know of one young man who tried to get more than one job that required a high school diploma and he was told he needed a "real" diploma, so I can understand Daria's concern for her son.

I'm sure she realizes that a Mom-issued diploma is perfectly valid in theory, but the reality is that she wants to make her ds's life as easy as possible, and having an accredited high school diploma could be a big advantage for him, while not having one could be a real headache if a potential employer is anti-homeschooling or simply believes that a Mom-issued diploma is fake and that Moms can lie.

I believe that the vast majority of moms here would be honest and not issue a diploma to a kid who hadn't done the work, but I also believe that there are others who would issue the diploma to their kid just because he turned 18 and they wanted to get him off the couch and out into the workplace, not because he really deserved that diploma. I'm sure potential employers recognize that possibility as well.

If he's interested in a tech school or college, see what they require. In my state, all colleges require a basic minimum of a certain set of classes. Then some colleges can require additional credits. We knew what college my son wanted to go to so we were able to make sure he met all of the requirements. But I was too scared to homeschool high school. We used an accredited online school. They allowed transfer of accredited classes. They also took homeschool classes, but only up to 10, I believe. I did two of them and had to write out what he did for 180 hours of class and send in samples of writing, homework, and tests.

ps. Just name your homeschool. I named ours Sugar Hill Academy. I used that name for various publishers, etc, and you could put a similar name on your diploma. Then, when the person is applying for jobs, he's just list "Sugar Hill Academy, Plano TX, June 10, 2017" under high school. It would not be apparent to anyone that was a homeschool.

• Like 1

On the school side, it is fine the school wants x and y.  But you can push back on that and say it is not working.  It might be time to give up on that route, but if you have not responded to them in a "we need a different solution" way then it might be worth a shot. 

To repeat myself, I want to reiterate my suggestion that this student sit down with his Psychologist or Psychiatrist (possibly in the company of his mother, if that is OK with the boy and with the MH professional) to see if they can come up with a plan, so that he can handle the stresses of continuing to do what he has been doing, until now, in High School.

The suggestion of Indiana University or TTUISD, or a High School run by a state university in another state, is a possibility.However I believe it would add, greatly, to his stress, because each state has their own unique graduation requirements and the credits he has in MD might not transfer in. Also, he might be subject to a lot of testing which would stress him more.

If Indiana University is like TTUISD, it is a lot of very hard work. My DD is an excellent student, and she is having to work very hard, with 7 courses.

However, the post mentioning Indiana University High School has me wondering whether or not the University of Maryland offers High School courses?  I seem to remember when I was very young, that they were active with correspondence courses for military personnel, so they have been involved with "Distance Learning" for many years.  It might be worth some time on the part of the OP to see whether or not they offer High School courses.

Since he is in MD, if he can stay within the requirements of MD for a Diploma from a Public High School, that will be the easiest path for him.

His Mental/Physical health are the main priorities.  Getting a High School Diploma is very important, but secondary to his health, at all times.

The fact that he has MH professionals that he likes is *wonderful* for him.

• Like 1