Menu

I was mocked for carrying an umbrella (guess where I am)

Pegasus

We are very close to where you are and heard the same thing--lightning and a boom, in such close succession. It woke the children, unfortunately, because we actually had one school cancellation (the one in Newport, natch). So I got to stay home which is sort of a plus?

Stay safe and enjoy your day off.

• Like 1

Jean, are you all getting flooding too?  For the most part, the rain is okay. It's the mudslides that really wreck havoc along some of our roads.

Personally, we aren't because we live on a hill.  There are flood watches and warnings all over the area though.  If we hadn't put a french drain all around our house a number of years ago our basement would be flooded right now from the high water table from all the rain. 

• Like 1

Seattle.  That has been the only place I visited where the "rain" was what I'd call barely a drizzle or mist.  Not umbrella worthy IMHO.

In Florida I use umbrellas but still get soaked thoroughly during a walk into a store from the car, including soaking wet shoes wading through huge puddles.  This happens often.

• Like 1

I agree, the past few days could use an umbrella.  In fact, one of the heavy rain days in the last week I was out and about at night and saw some outdoor lights you could walk through(free).  I did not wear my best rain gear b/c I hadn't planned to walk in the rain by the lake.  So I pulled out our umbrellas so I could walk in the rain and not get soaked and enjoy the lights.  But yes, we have invested in new rain gear here.  Dh has an awesome coat since he walks/rides bus to work.  And most of the time if it's hard rain it is blowing sideways and the umbrella won't help.  I rarely use my umbrella here.  However, I hope to go to the Botanical Garden lights tonight.  If it is raining I am taking my umbrella so mu camera won't get ruined!

• Like 2

I've seen people in the PNW out jogging in shorts and tee shirts, in the middle of winter, in torrential rain. I've occasionally seen someone with an umbrella waiting for a bus if there was no bus shelter, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking with an umbrella in either Seattle or Portland. One thing that does strike me as funny is that people will drive around for 10 minutes trying to find a parking space close to the store if it's raining hard, but they will not run from the car to the store even if they have to park far away.

Here is a hilarious depiction of PNWers at the beach.    :lol:

• Like 10

I've seen people in the PNW out jogging in shorts and tee shirts, in the middle of winter, in torrential rain. I've occasionally seen someone with an umbrella waiting for a bus if there was no bus shelter, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking with an umbrella in either Seattle or Portland. One thing that does strike me as funny is that people will drive around for 10 minutes trying to find a parking space close to the store if it's raining hard, but they will not run from the car to the store even if they have to park far away.

Here is a hilarious depiction of PNWers at the beach.    :lol:

That is so perfect.  Our Spaniard that has stayed with us for the past two summers could not get over taking and wearing hooded sweatshirts to spend a day on the beach. He and our French student were dismayed that there was very little bikini action.

• Like 1

Here is a hilarious depiction of PNWers at the beach. :lol:

Hahahaha! That works for up here, too :D

My guess is Oregon. We don't use umbrellas for activities of daily living (ie going into/out of stores, schools, work), BUT I do have a nice big umbrella that I use for watching soccer games. We've had some in monsoon-like weather (soccer is never cancelled due to rain) where it is best to wear rain pants, rain boots, slicker, and have an umbrella. We often have a long drive home and I don't want to be soaked to the skin (soccer player brings a change of clothes).

• Like 1

A major city with lots of walkers...maybe Seattle, New York City, Boston....

I am visiting a different region of the U.S. and headed out yesterday for an outdoor activity. We've been having steady precipitation, mostly from a heavy mist to light showers, so I grabbed an umbrella.  My family member, who lives here, warned that I would be mocked.  

When I arrived at my destination, I had barely gotten out of the car when a man pointedly veered direction to walk behind my car, look at the license plate, and wondered aloud why I had an umbrella.  I told him it was a rental car and I was actually from [different region of the U.S.] and that we actually used umbrellas there to keep the rain off ourselves.

It was all in a friendly manner and all in good fun. I definitely had noticed that the locals just seem to accept getting a bit wet rather than haul an umbrella with them everywhere they go.

Any guesses where I am?

I lived in Vancouver for a few years and it rained a lot, but it was still possible to stay dry under an umbrella.

Now I live in Newfoundland where people don't use umbrellas because the rain rarely falls down.  Usually it comes at you sideways.  

Umbrellas are futile.

So, do the women of this region just walk around with frizzy hair all the time??

Only if they haven't discovered the magic potion that can keep the frizz away from my super-curly, very-frizz-prone hair. It couldn't keep up with yesterday's wind-driven rain, but it keeps me pretty frizz free on normal winter days.

• Like 1

Places with Scandinavian heritage seem to embrace the "There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing" ethos.

An umbrella is a an admission of defeat. You can't ride your bike with an umbrella. You can't play. Buy good rainwear and get on with your life. I've bike commuted multiple winters in Seattle. I went out most days in the Winter with a 1yo and a 3yo. You just adapt.

Here in Minnesota you see the same thing with cold. People see folks wearing huge coats and hats and scarves and such when it is sunny and in the mid-20s and wonder aloud what they'll do once it really gets cold. My first grader in PS has recess if it is over 0f. DW bike commutes here unless the wind chill is under -10f. Weather is just something you deal with.

This weather stoicism encourages some cultural skepticism towards others. Enjoy your umbrella, just plan to adapt if you become a local ;)

Our schools (in Alaska) have a similar policy.

"Regular exposure to fresh air and vigorous exercise is essential to a child’s physical well being. Daily

periods of outdoor activity are strongly recommended. Inclement weather is an obvious deterrent to

maintenance of a daily schedule. As general criteria, the District recommends:

Down to -10°F--regularly scheduled recesses

Below -10°F--shortened and/or canceled recesses at the discretion of the principal or designee"

I lived in Portland most of my life, and outdoor recess was cancelled constantly due to rain. My daughter's school (in Portland) had more covered areas but I believe they still cancelled recess regularly. You're better off bundled up in dry freezing temps than out getting wet at 50 degrees. I'm surprised that the Portland schools don't do what they do here and require outdoor gear like boots, gloves, hats, etc. Here, kids keep "school shoes" in the classroom and just wear their boots to/from school and at recess.

Edited by ondreeuh

I have flat hair that sticks to my head and is awfully unflattering, unless it's a lovely humid, misty day.

I would adore living in the PNW if I could have puffy, fizzy hair. Oh, I look so amazing when my hair isn't stuck to my head! It happens only about 5 days a year around here, though, that the combination of humidity and mist is just right.

I also love umbrellas. I would want enough rain that I can use an umbrella. I love colorful ones and black ones and ones with curly handles. I just adore them. I really like the clear ones so you can see where you're going and have the umbrella pulled down low. I wouldn't want there to be just a mist. I'd want a lovely rain that makes that soothing patter-patter sound on my umbrella.

Well, I guess I could give up umbrellas if I could get a fun raincoat. And maybe a rain hat. Oooo. I'd love a floppy Paddington Bear kind of rainhat.

OP--where are you???

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

After all the time that goes into straightening my hair there is no way in h*!! I'll go out without my umbrella! Scorn me all you like, at least my hair won't be frizzy. :D

My guess for the mystery city is Portland.

Edited by MBM

Our schools (in Alaska) have a similar policy.

"Regular exposure to fresh air and vigorous exercise is essential to a child’s physical well being. Daily

periods of outdoor activity are strongly recommended. Inclement weather is an obvious deterrent to

maintenance of a daily schedule. As general criteria, the District recommends:

Down to -10°F--regularly scheduled recesses

Below -10°F--shortened and/or canceled recesses at the discretion of the principal or designee"

I lived in Portland most of my life, and outdoor recess was cancelled constantly due to rain. My daughter's school (in Portland) had more covered areas but I believe they still cancelled recess regularly. You're better off bundled up in dry freezing temps than out getting wet at 50 degrees. I'm surprised that the Portland schools don't do what they do here and require outdoor gear like boots, gloves, hats, etc. Here, kids keep "school shoes" in the classroom and just wear their boots to/from school and at recess.

The bold is a new phenomena. Growing up here, recess was NEVER cancelled. Now, it must be all those transplants that wilt in the rain. :D

• Like 2

Hm, I graduated in 1996, and outdoor recess was cancelled regularly in elementary school in the 80s.

I wonder if that was just your school. We never had recess cancelled in Washington or Oregon for rain--in California once or twice for smog, but not rain. I graduated in 1995.

• Like 1

So sorry for the delayed response!  I've been busy all day today and just got back online. Didn't mean to leave everyone in suspense.

Most of you guessed correctly - I'm in the PNW, a couple hours south of Portland!  

Didn't carry the umbrella today and got only slightly dampish.   :laugh:

• Like 16

So sorry for the delayed response! I've been busy all day today and just got back online. Didn't mean to leave everyone in suspense.

Most of you guessed correctly - I'm in the PNW, a couple hours south of Portland!

Didn't carry the umbrella today and got only slightly dampish. :laugh:

You might be in my hometown! :)

Our Japanese students think everyone here is crazy. :D

I wonder if that was just your school. We never had recess cancelled in Washington or Oregon for rain--in California once or twice for smog, but not rain. I graduated in 1995.

Another '95 grad, Seattle/Tacoma area, and I remember recess in the gym when the rain got too heavy. And watching the same dumb movies over and over after lunch for a week at a time during stormy stretches. If I never see The Red Balloon again it'll be too soon!

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 1

I am visiting a different region of the U.S. and headed out yesterday for an outdoor activity. We've been having steady precipitation, mostly from a heavy mist to light showers, so I grabbed an umbrella. My family member, who lives here, warned that I would be mocked.

When I arrived at my destination, I had barely gotten out of the car when a man pointedly veered direction to walk behind my car, look at the license plate, and wondered aloud why I had an umbrella. I told him it was a rental car and I was actually from [different region of the U.S.] and that we actually used umbrellas there to keep the rain off ourselves.

It was all in a friendly manner and all in good fun. I definitely had noticed that the locals just seem to accept getting a bit wet rather than haul an umbrella with them everywhere they go.

Any guesses where I am?

Without reading further than the OP, my guess is Seattle for sure.

That is so perfect.  Our Spaniard that has stayed with us for the past two summers could not get over taking and wearing hooded sweatshirts to spend a day on the beach. He and our French student were dismayed that there was very little bikini action.

A large proportion of visits to the beach in the UK look like that too.  And the quintessential British seaside image is a middle-aged couple sitting in their car facing the sea and sharing a flask of tea as the weather rages.

• Like 6

I have flat hair that sticks to my head and is awfully unflattering, unless it's a lovely humid, misty day.

I would adore living in the PNW if I could have puffy, fizzy hair. Oh, I look so amazing when my hair isn't stuck to my head! It happens only about 5 days a year around here, though, that the combination of humidity and mist is just right.

I also love umbrellas. I would want enough rain that I can use an umbrella. I love colorful ones and black ones and ones with curly handles. I just adore them. I really like the clear ones so you can see where you're going and have the umbrella pulled down low. I wouldn't want there to be just a mist. I'd want a lovely rain that makes that soothing patter-patter sound on my umbrella.

Well, I guess I could give up umbrellas if I could get a fun raincoat. And maybe a rain hat. Oooo. I'd love a floppy Paddington Bear kind of rainhat.

OP--where are you???

Proof that people are never happy. My hair is the opposite. It's a bushy ball of frizz 357 days a year until I do something about it. Misty rain is the worst thing ever for my hair! I can feel my hair getting bigger.

• Like 1

I do remember one storm they held us AFTER school (or maybe it was just walkers that were held), and wouldn't allow anyone to leave the building for at least an hour and a half.  at one point, the teacher closed the heavy vinyl drapes, and told us to go on the other side of the room. . . . when we finally came out, the favorite isolated deciduous tree on the playground was split in two, with half on the playground.  there were also several deciduous trees between the street and the parking lot that were on the teachers cars.

from doing research of big storms here - I think it was march 1971.  it's the only one that fits.

eta: a neighbor down the street had three or four doug firs come down on their house. 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

You know, I grew up in an area where it rained 300 days per year.  Not all day other than during rainy season, but it would rain in the afternoons almost daily.

When I moved to the US and went to college, I went straight to Seattle.  It didn't bother me in the least, I didn't find it that rainy!  :laugh:

I think moving to SoCal after college ruined me though, all that sunshine really messes with your mind! haha!   You start to like it!

Now, back to the OP and her mystery city.....I am going to start making things up......along with who she might be with......if she doesn't come in here and post!  :confused1:  :confused1:  :confused1:

• Like 1

You know, I grew up in an area where it rained 300 days per year.  Not all day other than during rainy season, but it would rain in the afternoons almost daily.

When I moved to the US and went to college, I went straight to Seattle.  It didn't bother me in the least, I didn't find it that rainy!  :laugh:

I think moving to SoCal after college ruined me though, all that sunshine really messes with your mind! haha!   You start to like it!

Now, back to the OP and her mystery city.....I am going to start making things up......along with who she might be with......if she doesn't come in here and post!  :confused1:  :confused1:  :confused1:

she did. you must have missed it, post #81.   she's two hours south of portland.

and for all the propaganda that seattle rains nine months a year, most of that comes in the form of drizzle.  chicago get's more measurable rain.

So sorry for the delayed response!  I've been busy all day today and just got back online. Didn't mean to leave everyone in suspense.

Didn't carry the umbrella today and got only slightly dampish.   :laugh:

You might be in my hometown! :)

Our Japanese students think everyone here is crazy. :D

LOL me too.  I grew up in Roseburg.  :0) 

she did. you must have missed it, post #81.   she's two hours south of portland.

and for all the propaganda that seattle rains nine months a year, most of that comes in the form of drizzle.  chicago get's more measurable rain.

Yes, I see that now.

And yes, I am aware of other areas getting more inches of rain but also having more sunshine!

ok we were in Bellevue last night and there were more people walking with umbrellas than without.  It was off and on rain, not mist.  Which I noticed....after people here saying no one uses umbrellas here.  Are the Bellevue peeps afraid they will melt??

Bellevue is a bigger city with a lot of businesses.  So people want to look nice.  Unlike me who just wants to get my errands done and am running in the rain from the car to the grocery store to the pharmacy etc. 

• Like 2

I'm a little dismayed that so many people would laugh and make fun of someone using a perfectly ordinary item like an umbrella in perfectly ordinary conditions for which its use was intended.

I think you are taking this way too seriously.  It's a regional joke.  People will smile and say "Guess you're not from around here!" - you know in a bantering way.  And even if you are from around here you might banter back with something about never having grown webbed feet like everyone else. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

ok we were in Bellevue last night and there were more people walking with umbrellas than without. It was off and on rain, not mist. Which I noticed....after people here saying no one uses umbrellas here. Are the Bellevue peeps afraid they will melt??

It's been coming down pretty hard at times. And lots of it. They may have been afraid of being washed away.

• Like 1

I think you are taking this way too seriously. It's a regional joke. People will smile and say "Guess you're not from around here!" - you know in a bantering way. And even if you are from around here you might banter back with something about never having grown webbed feet like everyone else.

Yeah, I can see that, too. It's like when I go to Vermont and I think it is so cold I will simply freeze right to death and the locals are smirking and going, "Hey, lady. It's April. You should have been here in February."

• Like 1

I'm a little dismayed that so many people would laugh and make fun of someone using a perfectly ordinary item like an umbrella in perfectly ordinary conditions for which its use was intended.

It's really okay. The rest of the country gets back its own when Oregonians get snow. We are known for closing down major cities for a half an inch of snow or sometimes even the threat of snow. We are completely baffled by it unless it is in a contained area like Hoodoo. Whatever you do, don't ask us to drive in it.

• Like 3