Menu

I was mocked for carrying an umbrella (guess where I am)

Pegasus

I am visiting a different region of the U.S. and headed out yesterday for an outdoor activity. We've been having steady precipitation, mostly from a heavy mist to light showers, so I grabbed an umbrella.  My family member, who lives here, warned that I would be mocked.  

When I arrived at my destination, I had barely gotten out of the car when a man pointedly veered direction to walk behind my car, look at the license plate, and wondered aloud why I had an umbrella.  I told him it was a rental car and I was actually from [different region of the U.S.] and that we actually used umbrellas there to keep the rain off ourselves.

It was all in a friendly manner and all in good fun. I definitely had noticed that the locals just seem to accept getting a bit wet rather than haul an umbrella with them everywhere they go.

Any guesses where I am?

• Like 1

I would guess PNW, too, but I have not been there, except as the departure point for a cruise.

Very glad I live where umbrellas are not scorned! I hate to be rained on.

LOL I was going to say Seattle or Portland.  Definitely the PNW!  

I live near Portland and can honestly say, we own umbrellas but they are used less than once a year and only if there is a specific reason.  

The problem with umbrellas are that.... either you deal with having a wet coat and pants that dry off pretty quick....... or you have a partially wet coat/pant (the bottom part) AND a wet umbrella to deal with also.  It just becomes a soggy wet accessory.   

The wet climate doesn't work well with fluffy hair styles, so even if you wanted to keep your hair style pretty by using an umbrella instead of a hood, it would go limp by mid-day anyways. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

I would say Seattle but we've actually been having quite heavy rains the past couple of days, so much so that I actually have had the kids ask where the umbrellas are. So, I guess Portland because maybe it hasn't been as heavy there.

I would not consider using an umbrella for misting or drizzling or sprinkling. It has to be pretty heavy before I use an umbrella. Otherwise you just always have an umbrella with you and I feel umbrellas are always at risk of hitting someone in the eye or getting lost so I just leave it at home. We do have one huge umbrella for soccer games or whatever and it has been used for one soccer game that was especially bad.

You never really get rained on. There's just water in the air nearby.

• Like 3

How strange!  I've never heard of such a thing, really!  I've lived West Coast, East Coast, Midwest, and abroad, and everyone I know uses umbrellas if it's raining...  Hmmm...

That's because those places aren't rainforest :)

I'm going to shake things up and say the OP must be in... DEATH VALLEY. (Because I'd rather be wrong than ordinary.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 6

Places with Scandinavian heritage seem to embrace the "There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing" ethos.

An umbrella is a an admission of defeat. You can't ride your bike with an umbrella. You can't play. Buy good rainwear and get on with your life. I've bike commuted multiple winters in Seattle. I went out most days in the Winter with a 1yo and a 3yo. You just adapt.

Here in Minnesota you see the same thing with cold. People see folks wearing huge coats and hats and scarves and such when it is sunny and in the mid-20s and wonder aloud what they'll do once it really gets cold. My first grader in PS has recess if it is over 0f. DW bike commutes here unless the wind chill is under -10f. Weather is just something you deal with.

This weather stoicism encourages some cultural skepticism towards others. Enjoy your umbrella, just plan to adapt if you become a local ;)

• Like 7

That's because those places aren't rainforest :)

I'm going to shake things up and say the OP must be in... DEATH VALLEY. (Because I'd rather be wrong than ordinary.)

you can't hike in the rainforest with an umbrella.  you dress for the weather.  and yes, we've stayed at quinault (re: rainforest) several times.  in february.  (I won't count honeymooning there in early april.  it was blue sky and sunshine every day.)

Edited by gardenmom5

seattle? portland?

I still mock dh for carrying an umbrella.

I tease my dh, too. He rides the bus and carries an umbrella on rainy days. It's funny because it rains a lot where we're from in CA and only visitors use umbrellas there, too. Most people just wear a rain barrier over their work clothes. I tease dh that he must really be from the East Coast.

Well...in West Texas you might be mocked because trying to use an umbrella is pointless. Generally when there's rain there's also wind, so the wind just snaps the umbrella and breaks it. More likely you'd just be laughed at when the umbrella broke.

In Arizona it's because it rains so seldom, reasonable people don't expect or plan for it, therefore only an overly cautious person who is overprepared for any insane contingency is going to have an umbrella, unless it was actually raining when you left your house...in which case odds are good it's NOT raining at your destination, so what was the point?

• Like 1

Places with Scandinavian heritage seem to embrace the "There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing" ethos.An umbrella is a an admission of defeat. You can't ride your bike with an umbrella. You can't play. Buy good rainwear and get on with your life. I've bike commuted multiple winters in Seattle. I went out most days in the Winter with a 1yo and a 3yo. You just adapt.Here in Minnesota you see the same thing with cold. People see folks wearing huge coats and hats and scarves and such when it is sunny and in the mid-20s and wonder aloud what they'll do once it really gets cold. My first grader in PS has recess if it is over 0f. DW bike commutes here unless the wind chill is under -10f. Weather is just something you deal with.This weather stoicism encourages some cultural skepticism towards others. Enjoy your umbrella, just plan to adapt if you become a local ;)

In my little corner of Scandinavia we tend not to use umbrellas because rain is more often than not accompanied by fairly high winds that turn your umbrellas inside out.

As to the asked question I would also go with PNW

oh - and the rain (yes, rain. not drizzle) we're currently having has set some records.  we are currently having what is called a 'pineapple express' because the storm systems come from the region of hawaii.  I woke up to thunder and lightening very close by this morning - and frequent.  unusual for here. even some very wet hail.

and a pp said - we're having flooding, and trees have come down knocking out power in various places. . . . 

• Like 1

Portland, or anywhere in Oregon, really. 

But I'm really posted to find out when you are going to tell us the right answer?   :-)

I remember one of the Ramona books, she complains about the rain and a grown-up tells her it's just "Oregon sunshine" like she hadn't heard that one a million times before.

It's those little details that add a sense of realism to the entire series.

• Like 1

:D What's an UM-brella?

Says this native Oregonian.  We are currently under flood warnings and ds and I went out in a torrential downpour to check out the flooding in the greenbelt behind our house. No whatever those thingy majiggies are. That's what Gortex and it's ilk are for. Right?  Hairstyle?  Rain and wear, here.

Edited by swimmermom3
  • Like 3

My hair is volumized and my electricity is out. I have about 30 minutes left on my phone and to use the hotspot then we're off to a playdate.

I thought our electricity would go out but it didn't.

We had quite the storm last night.  I woke up at 3 am because the wind gusts were so strong that they were rattling the house.  Fortunately the kids slept through that.  But shortly after 6 am there was a clap of thunder right over our house.  I immediately had kids and  a dog in my bed with me!  It rained really hard then but no more thunder or lightning.

• Like 2

I thought our electricity would go out but it didn't.

We had quite the storm last night.  I woke up at 3 am because the wind gusts were so strong that they were rattling the house.  Fortunately the kids slept through that.  But shortly after 6 am there was a clap of thunder right over our house.  I immediately had kids and  a dog in my bed with me!  It rained really hard then but no more thunder or lightning.

Jean, are you all getting flooding too?  For the most part, the rain is okay. It's the mudslides that really wreck havoc along some of our roads.

• Like 1

We are very close to where you are and heard the same thing--lightning and a boom, in such close succession. It woke the children, unfortunately, because we actually had one school cancellation (the one in Newport, natch). So I got to stay home which is sort of a plus?

• Like 3

:D What's an UM-brella?

Says this native Oregonian. We are currently under flood warnings and ds and I went out in a torrential downpour to check out the flooding in the greenbelt behind our house. No whatever those thingy majiggies are. That's what Gortex and it's ilk are for. Right? Hairstyle? Rain and wear, here.

Well now I know one place I can never, ever live, unless I shave my head.

My hair is frightful if it air-dries after a dousing. Absolutely terrifying.

We didn't bother with umbrellas when we lived in Seattle.  It almost never rains hard enough to make one worth it.  A decent jacket is all I needed and I was out walking around for at least 5 miles every day. I loved all the gentle rain but I missed good storms while I lived there.

I did get an umbrella for the rainy season in Guadalajara.  I'd be drenched in 30 seconds if I was caught in a storm no matter what I was wearing, but it only rains there in the afternoon for a few months so I rarely bothered with it. Those were great storms.

• Like 2

My first 3 were born in Vancouver, BC. Even now, on the East Coast, none of us even think to grab an umbrella if it's raining. My third born loves rain and asks to go out (umbrella-less) to play. All that time at parks in the rain, I guess.

So, I am guessing PNW, as well.