Menu

Need a ground beef dish for dinner tonight. Ideas?

ScoutTN

When I need a change-up I make it (browned and drained first, of course) with curry seasoning using beef broth and adding onions, carrots, potatoes, can of navy beans. I serve it over rice because my dc like anything stew-ish/soup-ish over rice. I use about 1 tsp curry powder per pound of ground beef because my dc don't like curry that much.

ETA: sometimes I add fresh spinach if we have any

• Like 1

Beefy Mushroom Goodness.

Brown some ground beef, drain.

Saute up some onions, garlic, maybe some red peppers, and lots of mushrooms.

Put them together, add 3 tbsp of flour, stir in.  Add 3tbsp of fat (butter, olive oil, fat from the ground beef - whatever you've got), turn the heat to medium-low.  

Gradually stir in 2 cups of beef broth/stock.  (Start with a tiny bit, stir in well, add in gradually larger amounts until it's all in the pan.)

Season with salt and pepper.

Serve over wide egg noodles, or rice, or quinoa,
OR put in a casserole dish with mashed potatoes or pie crust or biscuit dough on top, maybe a little grated cheddar cheese on top of that, and bake at 350 until the top is golden brown.

• Like 1

I love shepherd's pie:  ground beef mixed with chopped cooked veggies (I usually use carrots, peas, and onions), with some sauce that adds a little moisture and flavor (you can use plain beef stock, or nearly anything;  I make up my own with a little white wine, water, flour, and spices).  Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese on top.  Back for 30 minutes.

• Like 2

Dirty rice!

Onion and peppers chopped finely, garlic if you *must, ground meat, lots of thyme and cayenne, all cooked together, then add a couple cans of beans, heat through, then some rice

That was a vague idea rather than a recipe, but that's how I cook :p

Oh! I've also added mushrooms and zucchini and kale and it's still been great!

• Like 2

Cheeseburger mac and cheese. You can make the mac and cheese from scratch and it's AWESOME or you can use the boxed kind- still good. To make it, I brown the meat and add a bunch of hamburger seasoning plus diced onions. Then when it's done, I drain and mix with the mac and cheese. Super simple and my family thinks it's wonderful.

We also often brown the beef, add onions and other veggies, season it any way we want (I typically do taco seasoning here), then serve it over diced and baked potatoes.

Stuffed peppers are good. We brown the beef, add onions and other veggies, season it, add tomato sauce and rice then spoon it into pepper halves. Bake for a little while in the oven to cook the peppers (maybe at 350*?).

• Like 1

Hamburger vegetable soup is a favorite here.

Meatloaf muffins are great too.

My favorite way to use ground beef though is by making skyline chili or Cincinnati chili. Yum! My good friend first made this for me, and I've been hooked since. I love the clove, allspice, and cinnamon in the recipe.  Cincinnati chili pairs well with spaghetti squash. My friend and her mom and sisters use spaghetti noodles the traditional way to eat it.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/206953/authentic-cincinnati-chili/

ETA: My friend's recipe has you processing the raw hamburger in a food processor to get that fine, soft texture, but an immersion blender used after it's all cooked works well too. The recipe above doesn't call for any of this, but I think it's more authentic and yummy to get the meat as fine as possible.

• Like 1

Since Ore-Ida just made their tator tots gluten free, I did a sort of Tator Tot casserole the other day when it was cold and I wanted comfort food. Not particularly healthy, but I had a package of the Crown style (little flat, coin-stlye rounds like the breakfast hasbrowns at Hardee's when I was a kid...  no idea how their hashbrowns are now). 

I put them in a big baking dish, cooked them at 425 for 25 minutes per the package directions...  While they were in the oven I sauted some very lean hamburger, onion, garlic, and diced bell peppers.  When they were done I first spread the burger-veggie mix on top of the potatoes, then topped with a couple handfuls of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and back in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.  Served with veggie soup on the side, it was a giant hit.  It will probably be a regular when I make soup in the winter months.  In the future I might spread the hashbrowns out in two big baking dishes rather than cramming them into one.

Sloppy Joe's or loose meat sandwiches are a good alternative too.

• Like 2

I don't have a recipe, but last week I.....

Browned 1lb of ground beef with onion and a bit of steak seasoning (mostly for the smoky flavor).

I chopped a few large potatoes into 1cm cubes, microwaved them half done.

I made a couple cups of white sauce and added in a couple teaspoons of mashed garlic when it was done.

I tossed it all in one baking dish, added in a cup+ of mixed frozen veggies, added in a few chopped green onions. I seasoned with some Italian seasoning, salt, pepper. and baked it until it was done.  30+ minutes.

For more specifics that aren't necessary but are what I used

Chicago Steak Seasoning, Tuscan Sunset for the Italian seasoning  (both Penzys Spices)

Frozen veggies from Trader Joes (about 2/3 bag)

3 or 4 baking potatoes

Beef Stroganoff

1-2 lbs ground beef

1 small onion, chopped

Garlic powder to taste

Salt and pepper to taste

1 cup sour cream

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 stick butter

Wide egg noodles

Brown beef and onion together.  Drain grease and add seasonings, sour cream, soup, and butter. Pour over cooked noodles.  Easy and yummy!

Lana

I forgot about cabbage burgers!

Cook meat with lots of pepper, sauté cabbage, add more pepper, mix together with some grainy mustard. We use loads of mustard, you don't have to.

Roll out lumps of your favorite homemade pizza dough (8" roundish). I'm sure you can use store-bought but it doesn't split up as easily. Put Swiss cheese and more mustard in the middle, pile on meat mixture, put more cheese on top, pinch edges together so you get a bun, make a slice or two in it to let steam escape, and cook at 400 until dough is cooked. Maybe 20 minutes?

Tip: you are not using enough pepper. You cannot use too much pepper.

Also, I use ground turkey, so beef may need extra draining and drying

Hamburger vegetable soup is a favorite here.

Meatloaf muffins are great too.

My favorite way to use ground beef though is by making skyline chili or Cincinnati chili. Yum! My good friend first made this for me, and I've been hooked since. I love the clove, allspice, and cinnamon in the recipe.  Cincinnati chili pairs well with spaghetti squash. My friend and her mom and sisters use spaghetti noodles the traditional way to eat it.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/206953/authentic-cincinnati-chili/

ETA: My friend's recipe has you processing the raw hamburger in a food processor to get that fine, soft texture, but an immersion blender used after it's all cooked works well too. The recipe above doesn't call for any of this, but I think it's more authentic and yummy to get the meat as fine as possible.

I grew up in Dayton, OH, just north of Cincinnati and Skyline chili brings back good memories of my childhood. 

Yumm!

• Like 1

I grew up in Dayton, OH, just north of Cincinnati and Skyline chili brings back good memories of my childhood. 

Yumm!

How fun! My friend and her family are Oregon natives, and I have no idea how this family recipe came to be.  They are really passionate about their Skyline chili though! They get together and do big batches of cooking to share and freeze. I'm a huge fan too.

Wow, thanks for all the replies and recipes! Ground beef is a staple for us so I am always glad to have some new ideas or reminders of things I haven't made in a while. I ran out of likes part way through, so if if your recipe was toward the end, I like it too! ;)

I made shepherd's pie tonight because I already had everything on hand. Tomorrow is grocery day so my options were a bit limited.

My kids detest mushrooms, so stroganoff doesn't go over well, though I love it. I put them into meatloaf or stuffed peppers by chopping them very,  fine so they are undetectable. 

• Like 1